Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

The more and more I think about this, the more wound up I am getting over it. I have spent hours and hours almost every single day scouring the internet and applying for any applicable job I can find. Every few days I have been getting emails back from indeed letting me know that 1,050 people applied for job a, 1,300 applied for job b, and 1,500+ applied for job c. Rarely have my applications even been looked at (which I can't fault the recruiters for because looking at that many CVs for a single position just isn't possible). This has been a immensely depressing time for me, and for many of us.

This is all because of lockdown and the slow down in the economy. I have adhered to all the restrictions, I like most of us spent months existing almost entirely indoors barring an occasional food run or 2km (and later 5km) walk, which I tried to do at awkward hours to avoid too many people being out together. Business owners have seen their livelihoods take a serious dip, and their employees have found themselves out of work for the better part of half a year. People have seen their loved ones pass away, and have not even been able to attend their funeral. Leaving cert students have seen years of hard work leading up to their leaving certs go up in flames, with little idea of what will become of them. Like so many, my short term plans have been obliterated, and my medium/long term plans have been stepped back possibly by years.

Last week I finally got a job interview, and it appeared to go very well (and I say that as someone who is usually a sceptic/overly critical of myself after interviews). I have been refreshing my emails almost every hour in hopes of having an update, only to find out yesterday that the position has now been placed on hold as it required those in it to be physically present. This was extremely disappointing, but again a sacrifice that has to be made because it beats the alternatives of soaring death rates.

To find out that those in power give zero sh*ts about any of this, and are more than happy to travel the length of the country and laugh at not only the rules they are imposing on everyone else, but frankly the hardship and sacrifice that millions have gone through across the nation for no other reason than to mingle, while they take the risk of spreading covid amongst themselves before returning to every corner of the map to rush us into another full on lockdown, is more than a slap in the face.

I don't think I was even this disgusted at our government during the days of Brian Cowen drunkenly slurring his way through interviews and Mary Harney giving out to us for "finding deals" that she had herself encouraged after telling us we were living beyond our means and essentially to blame for one of the worst recessions anywhere in the globe in 2008 (which also set people in my age bracket back years in terms of our long term goals and forced many of us to leave the country to find work).

If appropriate action is not taken - including every single attendee being removed from their positions and if possible legal action taken against each and every one of them - and cases continue to rise, sending us back to needing to close the country down again, I would do my best to adhere, but frankly would not really have much to say against those who don't.

As long as this post is, it doesn't even begin to address how seethingly angry I am about this disgusting lack of regard for the country they supposedly preside over that these people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can you stop spouting utter imbecilic nonsense please.

200 new cases the other day, that's not "nobody".

Fewer people dying but there is more experience in treating it now. Some still getting very ill and ending up in intensive care and will have a very long recovery ahead of them.

But you don't care because you want to go to the pub.

New Cases != New sick. All it tells us is people caught a virus (which could very well be asymptomatic). OUTCOME of cases is the key metric that's not often highlighted.

Few people are getting seriously sick with this. Even fewer are dying. Both of these things are great news.

But I digress.. there's an entire forum for this CV-19 discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The more and more I think about this, the more wound up I am getting over it. I have spent hours and hours almost every single day scouring the internet and applying for any applicable job I can find. Every few days I have been getting emails back from indeed letting me know that 1,050 people applied for job a, 1,300 applied for job b, and 1,500+ applied for job c. Rarely have my applications even been looked at (which I can't fault the recruiters for because looking at that many CVs for a single position just isn't possible). This has been a immensely depressing time for me, and for many of us.

This is all because of lockdown and the slow down in the economy. I have adhered to all the restrictions, I like most of us spent months existing almost entirely indoors barring an occasional food run or 2km (and later 5km) walk, which I tried to do at awkward hours to avoid too many people being out together. Business owners have seen their livelihoods take a serious dip, and their employees have found themselves out of work for the better part of half a year. People have seen their loved ones pass away, and have not even been able to attend their funeral. Leaving cert students have seen years of hard work leading up to their leaving certs go up in flames, with little idea of what will become of them. Like so many, my short term plans have been obliterated, and my medium/long term plans have been stepped back possibly by years.

Last week I finally got a job interview, and it appeared to go very well (and I say that as someone who is usually a sceptic/overly critical of myself after interviews). I have been refreshing my emails almost every hour in hopes of having an update, only to find out yesterday that the position has now been placed on hold as it required those in it to be physically present. This was extremely disappointing, but again a sacrifice that has to be made because it beats the alternatives of soaring death rates.

To find out that those in power give zero sh*ts about any of this, and are more than happy to travel the length of the country and laugh at not only the rules they are imposing on everyone else, but frankly the hardship and sacrifice that millions have gone through across the nation for no other reason than to mingle, while they take the risk of spreading covid amongst themselves before returning to every corner of the map to rush us into another full on lockdown, is more than a slap in the face.

I don't think I was even this disgusted at our government during the days of Brian Cowen drunkenly slurring his way through interviews and Mary Harney giving out to us for "finding deals" that she had herself encouraged after telling us we were living beyond our means and essentially to blame for one of the worst recessions anywhere in the globe in 2008 (which also set people in my age bracket back years in terms of our long term goals and forced many of us to leave the country to find work).

If appropriate action is not taken - including every single attendee being removed from their positions and if possible legal action taken against each and every one of them - and cases continue to rise, sending us back to needing to close the country down again, I would do my best to adhere, but frankly would not really have much to say against those who don't.

As long as this post is, it doesn't even begin to address how seethingly angry I am about this disgusting lack of regard for the country they supposedly preside over that these people have.

Great post. I understand your anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's frightening when you think of the countries general view in relation to many things, killing unborn babies, sinn fein ect

Isn't it rather hypocritical to go on about "killing unborn babies" while at the same time not giving a shyte about the guidelines which are intended to prevent many thousands of born people dying?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

FF have never gave a **** about the people of this country, the recent pay rises and the “tough ****” reply we got, and now this act of complete idiocy when they better be praying for public compliance while they do something else. FF are scum and always have been and always will be, only interested in their own benefits from being in government.

The greens I can’t even be bothered writing about - an imbecile party full of tree huggers and naive gob****es who would rather cut carbon at the cost of driving Irish families in to borderline poverty than anything else. How anyone votes for these ****heads is beyond me and how they even formed part of this government still has me baffled - they were roundly rejected by the vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Well you can if you are SF but look at the disaster NI was for 3 years.....

What 3 years, I presume it has been the model statelet for the other 95 years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Barry Cowen was the first Irish politician that I can remember who stood down because of negative public opinion.
    Has it ever happened before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’m surprised you, or anybody else expected any better from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

That is one of the more stupid lines SF have put out since the election.

It doesn't matter a fcuk what count you're elected on.

Sometimes a minister or even outgoing taoiseach will encourage no.1 votes to go to their running mate, confident that they will have enough support to get in anyway (doesn't always work.)

I didn't vote for him, but then I don't live in Cork so didn't have a say :rolleyes:

No point giving out to the Shinnerbots. They havent got the hang of democracy and P.R. yet.
    Cushy Butterfield wouldnt allow a running mate in Dublin Central as she wanted the polltopper title

Edgware wrote: »
    No point giving out to the Shinnerbots. They havent got the hang of democracy and P.R. yet.
    Cushy Butterfield wouldnt allow a running mate in Dublin Central as she wanted the polltopper title

But but but the peeeeple voted for channnngggee :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭appledrop

Here we go news at 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Barry Cowen was the first Irish politician that I can remember who stood down because of negative public opinion.

I don’t know. In fairness to Colleary, it’s the first time in my lifetime I’ve seen an Irish minister resign without the whole public backing charade and u-turn.

Alan Shatter and Frances Fitzgerald both resigned under the previous FG Governments (both as a result of the fallout of the AGS whistleblower scandal)

The latter is an MEP now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

appledrop wrote: »
    Here we go news at 6!

Extended

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MM interview on rte news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

Would anyone else like to see Phil Hogan get sacked or resign?

Watching the news myself.. Ah you have to love the EU. Basically reading from Hogan's tweet. :rolleyes:

As unaccountable to us as the man himself!

gmisk wrote: »
    MM interview on rte news

What does Pinocchio have to say for himself tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

horse7 wrote: »
    Would anyone else like to see Phil Hogan get sacked or resign?

Who’s going to sack him?

Either way it bothers me not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I’m surprised you, or anybody else expected any better from them.

Where did I say I expected better from them? This is the same party that fiddled and gargled while Ireland burned 12 years ago, and basically buried the younger generations to help themselves which caused so many of us to leave just to have a chance of getting a job or being respected by government.

It does have to be said that the people deserve the government they get, and hearing 10 years ago how people would "never, ever" dream of voting for FF again to the point there was talk of their potential disbandoning, only for them to get back in less than a decade later, has led us to this and says an awful lot about a sizable chunk of the Irish electorate.

In a matter of weeks we have another Cowen in an alcohol fuelled scandal, his immediate replacement in this one, the pay rises while the rest of us struggle to survive, the lesser mentioned disgrace of MM meeting with Boris in another country without a mask nor social distancing being practiced (nor to the best of my knowledge quarantining upon return), and now 81 politicians (and it has to be said, plenty of FGers there as well) take a collective sh*t on all of us.

I was in two minds about sticking around in Ireland long term or not. I think this has made my mind up for me, though because of what I have described in my earlier post I won't be in any financial position to do so for a while.

• Advertisement

Hogan has issued a new statement per RTE News. Says he was in Kildare on Aug 5th where he tested negative for a CV-19 test. Then went to Kilkenny and was there until he went to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hogan has issued a new statement per RTE News. Says he was in Kildare on Aug 5th where he tested negative for a CV-19 test. Then went to Kilkenny and was there until he went to Galway

I doubt Hogan is too happy with having to explain himself

Nothing coherent or meaningful would be my guess

Fundamental.....fundamental.....fundamental

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I doubt Hogan is too happy with having to explain himself

I wouldn't believe a word out of that fat headed cnuts mouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

TheTorment wrote: »

Yes, we do fund-a-mental and it’s called Dail Eireann

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I am gonna guess he is telling the truth here because if he is caught out...he is fecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Donie Cassidy, a man who looked for traveling expenses for old Midland Health Board meetings he never attended. Had to deal with the sleveen a lot.

I see the prize flute almost every day with his comical wig resting precariously on his cute Castlepollard head. Always has a suit on him. The epitomy of being below average, licking arses and getting places. A great song writer. He wrote that well known internationally acclaimed song about one of Irelands greatest Mickymen, Charles J Haughey-Rise and follow Charley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The restrictions are abhorrent and unlawful but these absolute scum should be jailed for attending. Hypocrites, charlatans and liars. Also evidence that the so-called "EU" is the enemy of Ireland.

• Advertisement

TheTorment wrote: »
    Let me be very clear on this....(then isn't clear on anything)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement