Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I look at this on two levels.

On one level I agree that perhaps he should resign for failing to follow rules that his own government implemented.

On another level, I just don't give a toss. Really, I think everyone, LITERALLY everybody in this country has failed to follow the rules to the letter at all times. Has anyone considered that people may have attended this event in good faith, not knowing how many would be there? Was there social distancing and mask wearing where appropriate? These would be relevant questions.
    The fact that he resigned over this reminds of when in 2018, a British lord resigned from the House of Lords for being 2 minutes late to a debate. Honestly, stop being such a drama queen. Apologise and get on with your job rather than scandalising your government further.

I think this country is effectively out of lockdown already even if (on paper) we still have restrictions. Road traffic is about 90% of what it was before. People are getting on with their lives and even if they aren't following every single guideline, the majority are wearing masks when required and distancing physically when with others.

Its hypocrisy at its finest. Business owners are facing the prospect of the losing their business that they sunk everything into because of these traitorous **** and their bull**** guidelines. Guidelines that they themselves can't be bothered to follow. Heads need to roll over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Has anyone considered that people may have attended this event in good faith, not knowing how many would be there?

Were you ever on a society golf outing yourself Sean, you know the way you get the email with the timesheet in advance giving the tee times of all the participants and the list of all those having the bit of grub afterwards. That would give you a fair idea how many will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

How could he inadvertently attend the function?

Stay at home like the rest of us.

James Lawless, TD FOR CO KILDARE - is on the fcking committee - you couldn’t make this up.

The letter reveals that former agriculture ministers Barry Cowen and Michael Creed; junior minister Robert Troy; former MEP Brian Hayes; Fianna Fáil TD James Lawless; Fianna Fáil senators Aidan Davitt and Paul Daly; former Independent TD Michael Harty; former Fine Gael senators Paul Coghlan and Eamonn Coghlan are among the members of the society’s committee. Only Paul Coghlan and Messrs Harty, Hayes, and Daly are listed as having been in attendance at the controversial dinner event.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/golf-society-members-charged-140-for-two-days-of-golf-and-a-gala-dinner-39467469.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

Call me paranoid but I think the Government/Media are purposefully drip feeding who was and who was not at the Golf dinner, to deflect from the real reason they were there in the first place, and it wasn't for the golf or the decor.

Interesting to see John Sweeney and his wife sitting at the top table with the legal pals et al, as they are the company Directors of Western Railway Operations LTD, oil retailers and hotel management.

Western Railway operations ltd may trade as Clifden Station house or Sweeney Oil.

Cahoots!!...I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine!

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Compa...Limited-573077

Does anyone think there's a dirty connection between the Directors of Clifden Station House and the influential people they were seated with and dined with in their own hotel?

There has been 5 mortgage/charges against Western Railway Operations ltd all on the same day this year 28th February 2020.

John Sweeney that was seated at the table with the High court Judge , has 38 directorships spanning mainly oil retail and mining, legal and construction / planning and parkrite parking.

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Direc...hn/2105755823/

The particular Sweeney family are highly influential people worth billions.

Why was Station House Hotel owned by the Sweeney family chosen?
    Is there a link as to why they 81 party knew the Hotel management would let the Golf party go ahead without social distancing?

There's something very fishy going on and more questions must be asked about this relationship with the hotel owners and those that attended the Gold dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

AGS need to make an example of the 81 who attended that function. TD's and Senators should be resigning their seats... Sorry isn't good enough. People have sacrificed countless things over the past 6 months. It's a complete pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Its hypocrisy at its finest. Business owners are facing the prospect of the losing their business that they sunk everything into because of these traitorous **** and their bull**** guidelines. Guidelines that they themselves can't be bothered to follow. Heads need to roll over this.

I agree the guidelines are bull****. By and large they're neither being followed nor enforced. That's why I yawned when I read this story.

How many other golfing outings or large gatherings in breach of guidelines took place in this country on the same day that weren't covered in the media because they weren't attended by TDs? A lot I'd reckon.

I care a lot less about TDs golfing than I would if it came out some TD had visited a critically ill relative in hospital when no one else could. There is a distinction to be made between serious offences like that and going golfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Call me paranoid but I think the Government/Media are purposefully drip feeding who was and who was not at the Golf dinner, to deflect from the real reason they were there in the first place, and it wasn't for the golf or the decor.

Interesting to see John Sweeney and his wife sitting at the top table with the legal pals et al, as they are the company Directors of Western Railway Operations LTD, oil retailers and hotel management.

Western Railway operations ltd may trade as Clifbden Station house or Sweeney Oil.

Cahoots!!...I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine!

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Compa...Limited-573077

Does anyone think there's a dirty connection between the Directors of Clifden Station House and the influential people they were seated with and dined with in their own hotel?

There has been 5 mortgage/charges against Western Railway Operations ltd all on the same day this year 28th February 2020.

John Sweeney that was seated at the table with the High court Judge , has 38 directorships spanning mainly oil retail and mining, legal and construction / planning and parkrite parking.

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Direc...hn/2105755823/

The particular Sweeney family are highly influential people worth billions.

Why was Station House Hotel owned by the Sweeney family chosen?
    Is there a link as to why they 81 party knew the Hotel management would let the Golf party go ahead without social distancing?

There's something very fishy going on and more questions must be asked about this relationship with the hotel owners and those that attended the Gold dinner.

Maaaan maybe lay off the weed before posting. Uhhh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I agree the guidelines are bull****. By and large they're neither being followed nor enforced. That's why I yawned when I read this story.

How many other golfing outings or large gatherings in breach of guidelines took place in this country on the same day that weren't covered in the media because they weren't attended by TDs? A lot I'd reckon.

I care a lot less about TDs golfing than I would if it came out some TD had visited a critically ill relative in hospital when no one else could. There is a distinction to be made between serious offences like that and going golfing.

If they weren't so heavy handed with emotional manipulation of "Stay home or you'll kill Grandma" garbage I wouldn't care either, but these are demanding that we follow their guidelines and time and again they spit in our faces by being caught disregarding the rules they demand we follow.

I knew these restriction were just a joke back in May when Varadkar and Harris were cheering on those BLM protests after the latest round of why we need to stay locked in our homes.

Where the damn Guillotines. Time to break them out already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Martin Brett Kilkenny Councillor resigns
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1296940950472794113?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

There were lots of golf outings on the same day, and there is no problem with the golf outing, it's allowed, it's the 81 person shindig afterwards that is BANNED, banned by the very people who were breaching the ban. I would be very surprised if any golf club hosted an 81 person shindig after any of their outings, they take their responsibilities (as set out by the GUI) seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

No one shouted stop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

James Lawless, TD FOR CO KILDARE - is on the fcking committee - you couldn’t make this up.

The letter reveals that former agriculture ministers Barry Cowen and Michael Creed; junior minister Robert Troy; former MEP Brian Hayes; Fianna Fáil TD James Lawless; Fianna Fáil senators Aidan Davitt and Paul Daly; former Independent TD Michael Harty; former Fine Gael senators Paul Coghlan and Eamonn Coghlan are among the members of the society’s committee. Only Paul Coghlan and Messrs Harty, Hayes, and Daly are listed as having been in attendance at the controversial dinner event.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/golf-society-members-charged-140-for-two-days-of-golf-and-a-gala-dinner-39467469.html
    Distinct lack of shinners/alphabet soup names there. It’s almost as though it’s a secret society of the betters.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Maaaan maybe lay off the weed before posting. Uhhh?

Time for you to go to bed.....you'll be back at school (hopefully) next week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Grey Fox wrote: »
    No one shouted stop

I think fore would be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hollybeg wrote: »
    AGS need to make an example of the 81 who attended that function. TD's and Senators should be resigning their seats... Sorry isn't good enough. People have sacrificed countless things over the past 6 months. It's a complete pisstake.
    AGS can send a file to DPP but thats that. There really is **** all punishment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Edgware wrote: »

No golf till Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭josip

So that's 2 FG scalps to FF's 1 so far ?
    Leo must be raging considering it was a FF organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Edgware wrote: »

Agree, it is all advisory, there is no judicial rule to back it up.

So off everyone goes now as if they haven't already.

This is unreal. And it would appear that those who conform will do so, but those who don't will not have to worry either.

Watery Leadership obviously. Do as we say, but not as we do.

But the rules are for the peasants anyway.

• Advertisement

Guarantee after the frenzy of media comment over the weekend this will be all over.

The rules will still be in place for the peasants/observants.

Just shows how the politicians hold the proletariat in their place, that is the big issue now.They obviously don't think Covid is anything to worry about as long as it is their own cohort mingling, but not us.

F sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Guarantee after the frenzy of media comment over the weekend this will be all over.

The rules will still be in place for the peasants/observants.

Just shows how the politicians hold the proletariat in their place, that is the big issue now.They obviously don't think Covid is anything to worry about as long as it is their own cohort mingling, but not us.

F sake.

In fairness anything good that has ever happened in this country has happened despite the leadership not because of it.

Covid is no different , people will continue to do their best I think, they are used to being let down by their "leaders" I couldn't say that word more ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That's just not true. The country has been open for weeks, people have been on staycation, going to the shops, standing in lines and still nobody is dying.

The data is in and the fact is that people are not getting sick from this virus anymore. It has moved through the community, taken the susceptible and now that the majority of the population has been exposed has created community immunity.

Going by antibody testing only 1.7% if the population have had the virus, we're a long way away from the 70% to 80% that would be needed for community immunity.

Is there anything to be said for a Mass or Protest outside Leinster house or should I say their new location at the Convention centre

Btw, the Dail are now meeting at the Convention centre at 25k a day for TDs to social distance meanwhile 81 of them are wined and dined at the Clifden Station house.

Hypocricy at its finest!

In fairness anything good that has ever happened in this country has happened despite the leadership not because of it.

Covid is no different , people will continue to do their best I think, they are used to being let down by their "leaders" I couldn't say that word more ironically.

Yes, and sorry if it sounds off, but you are a voice in the wilderness regarding C19 leadership.

People will do their best for their own protection, but if the leadership doesn't care some will become very cynical. And who could blame them.

Leadership is lacking or should I say it is absolutely abysmal.

Nothing else I can say will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

josip wrote: »
    So that's 2 FG scalps to FF's 1 so far ?
    Leo must be raging considering it was a FF organised event.

Always about Leo.

Weird obsession even though he wasn't there.

Just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

25 k a day to hire a room? What kind of budgeting imbilile was invilved innyhat - surely it cannot be right.

I guess only allowing a limited number into the massive building they already own and the working poor pay for is too much of a basic for them to organise?

ffs

Meanwhile SME’s and businesses all over the country go bankrupt and people are unable to pay their mortgages because of the collapse of the economy and people making sacrifices to keep people safe. But the boyos want to paly golf and have a free meal and hide under the skirts of pretending it was to honour someone and that there was a acreen up so that was ok.

utterly disgusting behaviour and zero values or morals from this spineless crowd of selfish ****wits

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

elperello wrote: »
    “I suppose the party leader has made it clear that everybody must pay a price for what has happened. We attended the function inadvertently, but still we have to pay a price” he told KCLR News.

Comedy gold :)

How does some one who lives in Kilkenny attend a function in Clifden "inadvertently" ?

"No one more surprised than meself to find meself there".

We're definitely into Flann O'Brien territory now.

• Advertisement

25 k a day to hire a room? What kind of budgeting imbilile was invilved innyhat - surely it cannot be right.

I guess only allowing a limited number into the massive building they already own and the working poor pay for is too much of a basic for them to organise?

ffs

Meanwhile SME’s and businesses all over the country go bankrupt and people are unable to pay their mortgages because of the collapse of the economy and people making sacrifices to keep people safe. But the boyos want to paly golf and have a free meal and hide under the skirts of pretending it was to honour someone and that there was a acreen up so that was ok.

utterly disgusting behaviour and zero values or morals from this spineless crowd of selfish ****wits

The state controlled media RTE states it here, so it's atleast 25k a day!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0703/1151219-convention-centre-costs/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement