Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

25 k a day to hire a room? What kind of budgeting imbilile was invilved innyhat - surely it cannot be right.

I guess only allowing a limited number into the massive building they already own and the working poor pay for is too much of a basic for them to organise?

ffs

Meanwhile SME’s and businesses all over the country go bankrupt and people are unable to pay their mortgages because of the collapse of the economy and people making sacrifices to keep people safe. But the boyos want to paly golf and have a free meal and hide under the skirts of pretending it was to honour someone and that there was a acreen up so that was ok.

utterly disgusting behaviour and zero values or morals from this spineless crowd of selfish ****wits
    no rent involved, it costs 25k due to h+s costs, productions, ect
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0703/1151219-convention-centre-costs/
    ignore i just seen the post before this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Call me paranoid but I think the Government/Media are purposefully drip feeding who was and who was not at the Golf dinner, to deflect from the real reason they were there in the first place, and it wasn't for the golf or the decor.

Interesting to see John Sweeney and his wife sitting at the top table with the legal pals et al, as they are the company Directors of Western Railway Operations LTD, oil retailers and hotel management.

Western Railway operations ltd may trade as Clifden Station house or Sweeney Oil.

Cahoots!!...I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine!

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Compa...Limited-573077

Does anyone think there's a dirty connection between the Directors of Clifden Station House and the influential people they were seated with and dined with in their own hotel?

There has been 5 mortgage/charges against Western Railway Operations ltd all on the same day this year 28th February 2020.

John Sweeney that was seated at the table with the High court Judge , has 38 directorships spanning mainly oil retail and mining, legal and construction / planning and parkrite parking.

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Direc...hn/2105755823/

The particular Sweeney family are highly influential people worth billions.

Why was Station House Hotel owned by the Sweeney family chosen?
    Is there a link as to why they 81 party knew the Hotel management would let the Golf party go ahead without social distancing?

There's something very fishy going on and more questions must be asked about this relationship with the hotel owners and those that attended the Gold dinner.

Quick lads get the f**king tin hat

Did I see Denis O’Brien and Larry Goodman at the bar drinking pints and having the crack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Edgware wrote: »
    AGS can send a file to DPP but thats that. There really is **** all punishment

If I was in Ireland now I definitely wouldn't be adhering to any guidelines unless all of those to*sers were removed from their positions. I've never attended a protest either but if there were protests for this I think I'd be there. Absolutely sick of these creeps. This is the last straw.

If Hogan remains in his position, then I'll return home to vote for SF, or any other party if they promise a referendum on leaving the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes beacuse you know all these people personally :p:p:p:p:p

I doubt it, he did not know Cowan was done for drink??

The whole of th Irish Government has being discredited as apart from a few token resignations and the whip removed there was no sanction.
    The credibility of the EU parliment also in question as they have no comment on Hogan.

I expect there be an election pretty soon so what we should once-off not go to the poles to wake up this mess our politicians as they are dragging our country down and enriching themselves and their friends in the process.
    Our whole poliitical system needs to be looked and we need people with credibility in public office.
    We have an opportunity to put it eight NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Guys, I think we need to calm down here and get some perspective. Our leaders have been working very hard fighting Covid19 and some of them who happen to like golf had a bit of grub after a day pumping the irons. Big deal, easy to social distance on the green guys. As for dinner, are we seriously begrudging them a bite to eat after all they have done for us during the emergency we currently find ourselves in? As we all know a lot of work gets done on golf courses and it’s not all fun and games. I would imagine there was a lot of brainstorming going on, I admire them for taking the risk to meet up so solutions could be discussed in an informal setting.

• Advertisement

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Guys, I think we need to calm down here and get some perspective. Our leaders have been working very hard fighting Covid19 and some of them who happen to like golf had a bit of grub after a day pumping the irons. Big deal, easy to social distance on the green guys. As for dinner, are we seriously begrudging them a bite to eat after all they have done for us during the emergency we currently find ourselves in? As we all know a lot of work gets done on golf courses and it’s not all fun and games. I would imagine there was a lot of brainstorming going on, I admire them for taking the risk to meet up so solutions could be discussed in an informal setting.

Can you give us a couple of examples?

Can you give us a couple of examples?

Examples of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Your not half obvious. No one is falling for this one surely.

Examples of what?

Examples of all the hard fighting you mention in your post.

The dail cannot sit properly because of Covid.

Yet these people can brainstorm on golfcourse.
    Telling us not to travel and they do as they please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Examples of all the hard fighting you mention in your post.

The dail cannot sit properly because of Covid.

Yet these people can brainstorm on golfcourse.
    Telling us not to travel and they do as they please.

The Dail has been sitting for months now in the convention centre, how do you not know this?

• Advertisement

The Dail has been sitting for months now in the convention centre, how do you not know this?

They are not sitting as per normal.
    I notice you ask questions but you not bother answering.
    I asked you what you meant by a comment last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Wonder how many more of them travelled from the 3 counties locked down

This Guy was playing Golf in Spain and was supposed to be in isolation for 14 days but no he attended the dinner

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/former-td-attended-controversial-golf-dinner-days-after-trip-to-spain-1.4335903?fbclid=IwAR3866JjkOmvAIR73puYMzmTg2dml0U5RbrqObvLeorL4VfGwNLS6KjZX_Q

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Its actually sickening reading this stuff, i returned from abroad 12 days ago and have only left the house to go for a walk and these cowboys do whatever they want. Its like the old Beatles saying about the people in cheap seats just clap along while the rich/influential rattle their jewellery.

xl500 wrote: »

This Guy was playing Golf in Spain and was supposed to be in isolation for 14 days but no he attended the dinner

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/former-td-attended-controversial-golf-dinner-days-after-trip-to-spain-1.4335903?fbclid=IwAR3866JjkOmvAIR73puYMzmTg2dml0U5RbrqObvLeorL4VfGwNLS6KjZX_Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

xl500 wrote: »

Dude could have lead to the deaths of many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    There are readily available COVID guidelines.
    Those guidelines deem that the planned event on Wednesday was inappropriate.
    81 of the 'cream' of Irish society attended the event.
    Did any of the 81 consider it inappropriate BEFORE they attended

Sorry not being smart here, but 81 cream of the crop no way. They are all full of their own importance and all have shown what they are really about by attending this hotel, answer this one if bomb went off in the hotel and wiped them all out would any brains be found scattered about. No a single cell and would any of them be missed. Who would miss big Phil, the wig, Dara I am mayo and entitled and the rest of the c nts.
    Thing of all the families who lost loved ones and couldn’t attend funerals and these 81 should be all lined up against the wall and shot.

Perhaps he’ll give it to one of the Greens - that will piss the public right off.

No he will give it to Larry Goodman, sure he’s running agriculture already and just make it official.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Quick lads get the f**king tin hat

Did I see Denis O’Brien and Larry Goodman at the bar drinking pints and having the crack

And now they’ll be seeing you in the high court for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

It should also be noted if this virus is as serious as we are led to believe these leaders put the lives of the staff, other guests and and their families lives at risk.

boardise wrote: »
    What should happen -but won't- is that Michael Creed be reinstated as Min for Ag. With Brexit hotting up again this is no time to be sending a rookie into this vital department. Creed is au fait with much of the detail and can hold the fort when necessary.

Would you go away out of that, what did he do for farmers during his time in office f ck all and when the beef strikes were on. That guy doesn’t know what day of the week it is. Leave that c nt in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

"An EU Commission spokesperson said Mr Hogan had acted in "good faith" when he attended the event and had received assurances that the event would be held in full compliance with the regulations introduced by the Irish Government."

For anyone planning to attend anything for the next while, you can print this on a tee-shirt.

I am acting in "good faith". I have received assurances that the event is being held in full compliance with the regulations introduced by the Irish Government.
    Sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

This is all well and good, but I must bring you to book on a fundamental requirement of "brainstorming". There's a clue in the word, and it has nothing to do with storm Ellen, and there was none of it in evidence with this crowd.

jacool wrote: »
    "An EU Commission spokesperson said Mr Hogan had acted in "good faith" when he attended the event and had received assurances that the event would be held in full compliance with the regulations introduced by the Irish Government."

For anyone planning to attend anything for the next while, you can print this on a tee-shirt.

I am acting in "good faith". I have received assurances that the event is being held in full compliance with the regulations introduced by the Irish Government.
    Sorted!

I’d say there was a big mistake and too many statesmen and dignitaries got invited by accident. We should give our leaders some slack, they need to unwind sometimes given they are in unprecedented times. The stress alone must be unreal. A bit more understanding on the public’s part would be nice going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

I’d say there was a big mistake and too many statesmen and dignitaries got invited by accident. We should give our leaders some slack, they need to unwind sometimes.

troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

golfball37 wrote: »
    It should also be noted if this virus is as serious as we are led to believe these leaders put the lives of the staff, other guests and and their families lives at risk.

Exactly

That's the question media should be asking

They are all fat old guys too, the at risk group

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IT article this morning would seem to suggest the wheels are coming off rapidly..
    Calleary tried the immediate and abject apology, calling a furious Martin on Thursday evening, as well as contacting the Green Party, Fine Gael and the acting chief medical officer. By Friday morning it was clear contrition would not be sufficient. People at all levels of Government were hopping mad, shouting and texting expletive-ridden condemnations to one another. “I can’t f**king believe it! No! I can! I f**king can!” raged one. More seriously, outside the bubble of Government, a mighty wave of public outrage was building. Calleary was smart enough to read the situation, and resigned rather than face the alternative.

We may lack quantitative measurements of these things, but it would be very unwise to underestimate the level of public anger about the revelations. Government politicians listened to Liveline on RTÉ radio in fear and anger. “I have never seen anything cut through like this,” said one worried TD on Friday afternoon.

And of course, this all comes hot on the heels of the row over the latest NPHET recommendations earlier in the week:
    Varadkar wanted this thrashed out at a Cabinet subcommittee rather than – as some Fine Gaelers saw it – being bounced into hasty decisions at the full Cabinet. He soon made his displeasure clear. “If we keep doing business like this,” he said, “we won’t be doing business for long.”

At first, some of the people around the table or tuning in weren’t sure they had heard right. Was the Tánaiste really talking about the potential end of the coalition Government – after seven weeks? It was perhaps the most shocking moment of the coalition’s life so far.

“Jeez that was rocky,” was one Minister’s assessment afterwards. Others were more direct. The word used by five different people, either present or briefed afterwards, was “****show”.

“Actually, it was worse than was reported,” said another senior figure a few days afterwards.

So, the real question is fast becoming, will the Government survive this, never mind the political careers of the individuals at the dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

I’d say there was a big mistake and too many statesmen and dignitaries got invited by accident. We should give our leaders some slack, they need to unwind sometimes given they are in unprecedented times. The stress alone must be unreal. A bit more understanding on the public’s part would be nice going forward.

Back in the golden days of afr that would have seen you eating 8lb trout for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Exactly

That's the question media should be asking

They are all fat old guys too, the at risk group

I tell you what would be good. If MM turned around + said everyone at the event needed to get a Covid test. Then they would know what's its like for Factory Workers etc.

They all seem to think only effects the plebs not them. Imagine if one of them tested positive? Id say good chance as coming from all different parts of country + obviously don't care about Covid rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    IT article this morning would seem to suggest the wheels are coming off rapidly..

And of course, this all comes hot on the heels of the row over the latest NPHET recommendations earlier in the week:

So, the real question is fast becoming, will the Government survive this, never mind the political careers of the individuals at the dinner

It’s pretty clear to me that the vast majority of FF Members at all levels are completely unable to behave appropriately, so while this might not bring down the government, (and I sincerely hope it doesn’t only because of the timing) I have no doubt that the next crisis involving FF isn’t far away and the downfall of the Government will ultimately be FF incompetence.

As a partner in government there comes a point where FG can only stand by and watch so much happening before some of the mud starts to stick to them, the fiddler can’t keep playing while Rome burns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

appledrop wrote: »
    I tell you what would be good. If MM turned around + said everyone at the event needed to get a Covid test. Then they would know what's its like for Factory Workers etc.

They all seem to think only effects the plebs not them. Imagine if one of them tested positive? Id say good chance as coming from all different parts of country + obviously don't care about Covid rules.

Excellent idea

Be some laugh alright if one tested positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Sorry not being smart here, but 81 cream of the crop no way. They are all full of their own importance and all have shown what they are really about by attending this hotel, answer this one if bomb went off in the hotel and wiped them all out would any brains be found scattered about. No a single cell and would any of them be missed. Who would miss big Phil, the wig, Dara I am mayo and entitled and the rest of the c nts.
    Thing of all the families who lost loved ones and couldn’t attend funerals and these 81 should be all lined up against the wall and shot.

Apologies Sheep, I should of course have said '81 people who think they are the cream of the crop'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement