Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They should all he made get tested at their own expense and the their expenses examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Guys, I think we need to calm down here and get some perspective. Our leaders have been working very hard fighting Covid19 and some of them who happen to like golf had a bit of grub after a day pumping the irons. Big deal, easy to social distance on the green guys. As for dinner, are we seriously begrudging them a bite to eat after all they have done for us during the emergency we currently find ourselves in? As we all know a lot of work gets done on golf courses and it’s not all fun and games. I would imagine there was a lot of brainstorming going on, I admire them for taking the risk to meet up so solutions could be discussed in an informal setting.

Excellent Paddy, and a few mackerel hauled in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

It’s pretty clear to me that the vast majority of FF Members at all levels are completely unable to behave appropriately, so while this might not bring down the government, (and I sincerely hope it doesn’t only because of the timing) I have no doubt that the next crisis involving FF isn’t far away and the downfall of the Government will ultimately be FF incompetence.

As a partner in government there comes a point where FG can only stand by and watch so much happening before some of the mud starts to stick to them, the fiddler can’t keep playing while Rome burns.

FG are covered in mud also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They should all he made get tested at their own expense and the their expenses examined.

If thats the case anyone having a house party should have same requirements placed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

It’s pretty clear to me that the vast majority of FF Members at all levels are completely unable to behave appropriately, so while this might not bring down the government, (and I sincerely hope it doesn’t only because of the timing) I have no doubt that the next crisis involving FF isn’t far away and the downfall of the Government will ultimately be FF incompetence.

As a partner in government there comes a point where FG can only stand by and watch so much happening before some of the mud starts to stick to them, the fiddler can’t keep playing while Rome burns.

Ok, this codology has to be challenged.

As a partner in government FG are not standing by, they are actively involved in every decision being made.

It’s pretty clear to me that the vast majority of FG Members at all levels are completely unable to behave appropriately - several were at the dinner in question

I’m pretty sick of FG trying to pretend they’re not in govt.
    They are. And they were in the one before (Without FF) that failed to protect nursing homes Or provide enough PPE to our hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

It’s pretty clear to me that the vast majority of FFG Members at all levels are completely unable to behave appropriately, so while this might not bring down the government, (and I sincerely hope it doesn’t only because of the timing) I have no doubt that the next crisis involving FFG isn’t far away and the downfall of the Government will ultimately be FFG incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Wow. I'm just catching up with this news event now.

It looks like people in power are telling us things about this virus that they don't believe.

I'm shocked, and my whole worldview is going to change as a consequence.

Resignations are in order, as everyone else has said. I'm sure the people who replace them will be totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

xl500 wrote: »
    troll
    Someone connected with FF or FG I would say. PR, an assistant, or a party supporter at the least.

There are a few of them popping up defending Golfgate and calling us eejits for getting so hysterical over a storm in a teacup. One of them even said it was because we are all lazy and unemployed :rolleyes:

They are easy to spot: anyone using the term 'covid police' is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Guys, I think we need to calm down here and get some perspective. Our leaders have been working very hard fighting Covid19 and some of them who happen to like golf had a bit of grub after a day pumping the irons. Big deal, easy to social distance on the green guys. As for dinner, are we seriously begrudging them a bite to eat after all they have done for us during the emergency we currently find ourselves in? As we all know a lot of work gets done on golf courses and it’s not all fun and games. I would imagine there was a lot of brainstorming going on, I admire them for taking the risk to meet up so solutions could be discussed in an informal setting.

Weak. You get points for effort on some level but you need to work on your style and delivery. It's takes years of practice and dedication to your craft to hone your skills so you don't look obvious.

2/10 Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Someone connected with FF or FG I would say. PR, an assistant, or a party supporter at the least.

There are a few of them popping up defending Golfgate and calling us eejits for getting so hysterical over a storm in a teacup. One of them even said it was because we are all lazy and unemployed :rolleyes:

They are easy to spot: anyone using the term 'covid police' is one.
    No, he's a troll. He trolls the same bollocks all over the site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    It’s pretty clear to me that the vast majority of FFG Members at all levels are completely unable to behave appropriately, so while this might not bring down the government, (and I sincerely hope it doesn’t only because of the timing) I have no doubt that the next crisis involving FFG isn’t far away and the downfall of the Government will ultimately be FFG incompetence.

FFG have held power since the foundation of the state. It has made them feel superior and untouchable. My own hope is that FF disappear at the next GE. Less than 10 seats would be ideal. My 2nd preference is that they merge with FG because they are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Remember The Rape Of Lucretia?

What ever happened that lad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

McMurphy wrote: »
    Remember The Rape Of Lucretia?

What ever happened that lad?

Trial by social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can’t believe that not one of the 81 of them didn’t think at any stage(or maybe they did) that maybe this isn’t a good idea. Also yes this shouldn’t have happened and what has happened to those high profile people is right and proper.

I’ve said all this week that the messaging has been poor and the hotel association are saying they contacted the dept of tourism for guidelines and none were available which as I say does speak to the mess these new regulations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I suppose its better than being covered in blood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can’t believe that not one of the 81 of them didn’t think at any stage(or maybe they did) that maybe this isn’t a good idea. Also yes this shouldn’t have happened and what has happened to those high profile people is right and proper.

I’ve said all this week that the messaging has been poor and the hotel association are saying they contacted the dept of tourism for guidelines and none were available which as I say does speak to the mess these new regulations are.

One report suggested that there may have been 1 guy who played golf but didnt go to the dinner. They were trying to confirm it at the time but I didn't hear anything else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

One report suggested that there may have been 1 guy who played golf but didnt go to the dinner. They were trying to confirm it at the time but I didn't hear anything else about it.

Creed supposedly played the golf but didn't go for the dinner

Indeed they are, but their mud has come from mistakes and lack of ability, FF are just in the habit of picking up the mud and rubbing it all over themselves because their level of incompetence is accompanied with far greater levels of arrogance, disillusionment and entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

The President of the Oireachtas Golf Society has apologised for the event in Galway on Wednesday.

Speaking to the Westmeath Examiner, Donie Cassidy said the dinner was held under guidance approved by the Irish Hotels Federation.

The hotel group said the advice is multiple gatherings can be held in the same venue as long as there are separate entrances and toilets.

Mr Cassidy also said he will co-operate fully with the Garda investigation, and it was not their intention to disregard public health advice.

I'm absolutely baffled by this continued "not intentional" rhetoric.. That excuse doesn't fly on a playground, let alone in political discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm absolutely baffled by this continued "not intentional" rhetoric.. That excuse doesn't fly on a playground, let alone in political discourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Not intentional is the difference between murder and manslaughter on the courts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm getting sick if this crap now of blaming hotel.

On Tuesday night the rules were changed + no more functions whatsoever allowed in hotels apart from Weddings end of. Doesnt matter if it was 50 or 81 both NOT ALLOWED.

They also had a government minister who knew well what new rules were.

Pure and other arrogance is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Indeed they are, but their mud has come from mistakes and lack of ability, FF are just in the habit of picking up the mud and rubbing it all over themselves because their level of incompetence is accompanied with far greater levels of arrogance, disillusionment and entitlement.

Say what now?

The hallmark of FG is their arrogance and sense of entitlement, as well as their disconnect from the electorate. Or have you forgotten the outcome of the last election or the reasons that FF are in the driving seat? Or how Enda Kenny would vanish in the midst of the latest scandal, only to then reappear and declare there was nothing to see here. Or how Murphy and Harris were kept out of the spotlight during the last election because of their abysmal performance in their respective briefs.

I'll keep saying it.. FG's role in this State is to act as a protest vote against FF when the latter lose the run of themselves, but only until they remind us WHY they're never voted in on their own merits - because they're actually worse over the long term for the country.
    FF may be incompetent and greedy, but at least realise you have to give the "ordinaries" something some of the time. FG are too busy selling everything off.

CV-19 has been a blessing politically for FG. All their previous sins seem to have been wiped away by some - forgetting that FG are an equal PARTNER in this Government, not a bystander or junior coalition member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

While the dinner proved to be a disaster, i can also see how someone could arrive expecting the thing to be run properly by the hotel. If they are a speaker at the thing, it makes it very awkward. It still shouldnt have happened, but I dont think it is as bad as it is being made out to be.
    More importantly, we need structure in our government at present. Wanting everyone to be sacked or resign because they broke a restriction is a bit like the whole defund the police stuff in america. It is far too reactionary and in the greater scheme of things, doesnt help our cause. To my mind, there isnt a single person in the country who themselves hasnt broken a restriction at some point. Im not justifying their actions, but I think we need a bit of perspective also. Can anyone honestly say they havent broken a restriction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

While the dinner proved to be a disaster, i can also see how someone could arrive expecting the thing to be run properly by the hotel. If they are a speaker at the thing, it makes it very awkward. It still shouldnt have happened, but I dont think it is as bad as it is being made out to be.
    More importantly, we need structure in our government at present. Wanting everyone to be sacked or resign because they broke a restriction is a bit like the whole defund the police stuff in america. It is far too reactionary and in the greater scheme of things, doesnt help our cause. To my mind, there isnt a single person in the country who themselves hasnt broken a restriction at some point. Im not justifying their actions, but I think we need a bit of perspective also. Can anyone honestly say they havent broken a restriction?

So you don't see the issue with the same people who implemented restrictions breaking them?
    Expert level whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

As I've just said on Tues night all functions whether 50 or 81 people were banned apart from weddings.

So unless only 6 people at function no way it was ok. Should have been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No one's convincing me that Martin, Varadkar and the rest of the government didn't know that this event was taking place before Thursday night when the story broke.

Surely an email or something went around to every member of the Oireachtas informing them of social events. Like it does in every company in the world.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Say what now?

The hallmark of FG is their arrogance and sense of entitlement, as well as their disconnect from the electorate. Or have you forgotten the outcome of the last election or the reasons that FF are in the driving seat? Or how Enda Kenny would vanish in the midst of the latest scandal, only to then reappear and declare there was nothing to see here. Or how Murphy and Harris were kept out of the spotlight during the last election because of their abysmal performance in their respective briefs.

I'll keep saying it.. FG's role in this State is to act as a protest vote against FF when the latter lose the run of themselves, but only until they remind us WHY they're never voted in on their own merits - because they're actually worse over the long term for the country.
    FF may be incompetent and greedy, but at least realise you have to give the "ordinaries" something some of the time. FG are too busy selling everything off.

CV-19 has been a blessing politically for FG. All their previous sins seem to have been wiped away by some - forgetting that FG are an equal PARTNER in this Government, not a bystander or junior coalition member.

So you want to argue about which particular cohort of lying, useless, entitled pricks are the bigger cohort of lying, useless, entitled pricks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

El Weirdo wrote: »
    No one's convincing me that Martin, Varadkar and the rest of the government didn't know that this event was taking place before Thursday night when the story broke.

Surely an email or something went around to every member of the Oireachtas informing them of social events. Like it does in every company in the world.

I'm shocked that Martin wasn't asked about this in his interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Is there anything to be said for a Mass or Protest outside Leinster house or should I say their new location at the Convention centre

Btw, the Dail are now meeting at the Convention centre at 25k a day for TDs to social distance meanwhile 81 of them are wined and dined at the Clifden Station house.

Hypocricy at its finest!
    Good idea, there is always something to be said for saying mass. The best this government can come up with for managing the current crisis is to put a brick on the accelerator and jump ship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement