Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Yurt! wrote: »
    What a mad interpretation of the public mood...

He is Fianna Fáil royalty - his father and grandfather represent the people of Mayo going back to 1952.

A lot of ordinary simple hardworking, salt of the earth country people are very upset that he is being made the scapegoat for this.

We don’t like to see one of our own taking the blame and being blamed

He did nothing wrong and was very honorable to resign

FG will not get a vote west of the Shannon never again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Can anyone saying Calleary attended the event in good faith explain what this actually means? It's meaningless guff.

Another thing, anyone saying that other people break the restrictions are completely missing the point. These people are well compensated to be public representatives. It's not unreasonable to hold them to a higher standard than the average person, particularly when the issue at hand is restrictions they themselves put in place.

I disagree. Not just DC either, any of them. For example, you could go to a gastropub in good faith. Order your meal, have your starter and just as the main comes out a big group come in that push the figures over thr acceptable rate. The thing isnt your doing, but you are now part of it. Do you get up and walk out? You might think, feck it i will just eat this as quick as i can and go. Should you lose your job for doing so? Is it your responsiblity to count how many people are in every pub/shop/etc you enter? Is that realistic?

As for people being held to higher standards, sorry but that is completely wrong. Our laws are our laws, they apply to everyone the same way. They arent superior beings.

The real issue here is that no punishments were agreed upon for breaking restrictions, so now people are going to town with them as a 2 fingers to the establishment. Im just concerned that we are cutting off our nose to spite our face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

It's sad, so sad, it's a sad sad situation,. And it's getting more and more absurd....

Sorry seems to be the hardest word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Sorolla wrote: »
    He is Fianna Fáil royalty - his father and grandfather represent the people of Mayo going back to 1952.

A lot of ordinary simple hardworking, salt of the earth country people are very upset that he is being made the scapegoat for this.

Man alive. Is that really how FF people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It’s hardly a surprise to see a Mayo man falter on the main stage and head back home late in the summer empty handed with nobody but himself to blame.

It wouldn’t be a proper Irish summer without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

"One of our own"

It's no wonder we are in the mess we are in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Dustin the turkey tweeted that he’d rather have been on the menu than the guest list.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

While the dinner proved to be a disaster, i can also see how someone could arrive expecting the thing to be run properly by the hotel. If they are a speaker at the thing, it makes it very awkward. It still shouldnt have happened, but I dont think it is as bad as it is being made out to be.
    More importantly, we need structure in our government at present. Wanting everyone to be sacked or resign because they broke a restriction is a bit like the whole defund the police stuff in america. It is far too reactionary and in the greater scheme of things, doesnt help our cause. To my mind, there isnt a single person in the country who themselves hasnt broken a restriction at some point. Im not justifying their actions, but I think we need a bit of perspective also. Can anyone honestly say they havent broken a restriction?

Mayo eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

The Govt. Spin teams are out in force this weekend.

The bang of desperation. And they are terrible at social media, a bunch of old biddies and awul lads who get away with this crap on the door step in thier little town to the locals of thier own vintage. It dont work on us here on the internet tubes.

I am actually looking forward to laughing at the narritive they are trying to spin, 'sur we all broke the rules...sur we all partied....

P i s s down my neck and tell me its raining will ya??

The politics wonk in me cant get enough of this, but then I remember how bloody sad, tragic and dangerous this situation is, and I want to cry and then Kill frankly....

That was removed for speeches! I'd say a good few weddings would have gone ahead if they thought they could do that.

Lot of people called into Mid West Radio yesterday morning absolutely fuming with Calleary over it. Not great when your own constituents are angered about it.

Arrah bad zest to them - aren’t they badly ringing into MWR - have they nothing better to be doing

There are a lot of constituents that don’t ring into MWR and they are very sad at Dara’s treatment.

Anyone ringing the wireless is just looking for notice - they should be ashamed of themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I disagree. Not just DC either, any of them. For example, you could go to a gastropub in good faith. Order your meal, have your starter and just as the main comes out a big group come in that push the figures over thr acceptable rate. The thing isnt your doing, but you are now part of it. Do you get up and walk out? You might think, feck it i will just eat this as quick as i can and go. Should you lose your job for doing so? Is it your responsiblity to count how many people are in every pub/shop/etc you enter? Is that realistic?

As for people being held to higher standards, sorry but that is completely wrong. Our laws are our laws, they apply to everyone the same way. They arent superior beings.

The real issue here is that no punishments were agreed upon for breaking restrictions, so now people are going to town with them as a 2 fingers to the establishment. Im just concerned that we are cutting off our nose to spite our face

No amount of your nonsensical hypothetical gibberish will change peoples mind that this was reckless, unnecessary and in clear contravention of the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Please tell me you're not serious.

If he did nothing wrong why did he resign?

It was a very serious error of judgement.
    It’s hardly a surprise to see a Mayo man falter on the main stage and head back home late in the summer empty handed with nobody but himself to blame.

Hilarious.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I think Dara deserves a lot of kudos for resigning as soon as he realized he made an error of judgement.

I'm possibly being set up here....... but he did in his bollix, he knew he was breaking the rules on Wednesday night, he sang dumb, when the Examiner broke the story he issued an abject apology (f'all choice) hoping it would go away, he was lacerated throughout the night and knew yesterday morning that his goose was well and truly cooked so he stepped down (absolutely no choice), kudos me bollix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Phishnet wrote: »
    PLEASE, CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE NAMES OF THE +3 THAT ATTENDED THE OIREACHTAS GOLF SOCIETY WITH BRIAN HAYES?

Wife and 2 girlfriends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

But there was a divider partition at the function - I believe nobody really did anything wrong in a legal sense

I think the decisive action by the minister in resigning even though he did nothing wrong will lead to a swelling of support for FF

This witch hunt has to stop

Minister resigning in disgrace leads to jump in support? You are smoking some weird ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Arrah bad zest to them - aren’t they badly ringing into MWR - have they nothing better to be doing

There are a lot of constituents that don’t ring into MWR and they are very sad at Dara’s treatment.

Anyone ringing the wireless is just looking for notice - they should be ashamed of themselves

Double agent alert.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not serious.

If he did nothing wrong why did he resign?

It was a very serious error of judgement.

Hilarious.:rolleyes:

On a law of averages there's bound to be people on here with the same level of judgement as our elite :D

dresden8 wrote: »
    Minister resigning in disgrace leads to jump in support? You are smoking some weird ****.

His resignation was an honorable act.
    It reminds me a little of Pope Benedict- he resigned to save the Catholic Church.

DC resigning will reinvigorate the FF party and come next election we will be in overall majority territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

10/10 , funniest thing I have read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

elperello wrote: »
    Your line of argument is getting into "we all partied" territory.

Before you ask I have broken no restrictions since this thing started. Often at great personal inconvenience and some expense.

I dont believe it is actually. We are trying to force people from their jobs for being guilty of things that a huge majority are guilty of, often repeatidly so. That is wrong, plain and simple. You can try to dress it up any way you like but it doesnt change the facts.

Congratulations, you are one of a handful of people who doesnt have to resign from their jobs. For the record, I dont think anyone has adhered strictly to every guideline every single day. Mainly because very often the actions of others can break them for you.

• Advertisement

Either we all lose our jobs for breaking restrictions or the thing falls down. What part of that do you not understand?

It's not that difficult to understand for sure.
    So, if I walk by somebody today only staying 1.5m away from them then I should resign from my job as a nuclear physicist at NASA, you would equate my breach with what your buddy Dara did, have I got that right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Since this virus was hoist upon us by China i have lost an extended family member to it (my wife couldn't attend her aunties funeral), lost a lot of money through my business being down 80%, cancelled going on holiday and lost every last cent because country was on green list and wanted to do the right thing, watched both my daughters lose months of valuable education and social contact with friends and had to sell my motorbike (the only thing keeping me sane the last while) because we need to pay the rent.

Now i don't know if this virus is going to get worse the next few months but i am reading that if very well may and i'll be honest im nervous about that. When you factor in what i think will be the coming hard Brexit we are in for a very rocky few months/years ahead and we need real leadership and not this useless crap we are seeing at present from FF and FG. For the love of christ can these lads not just knock their heads together and use some sense. Get back to the dail and let's work this out. What the hell are they doing on 6 weeks holiday anyway?

Just so exhausted with it all and yes i know it's not as bad as living in Syria or some African country suffering from drought and having a dickhead dictatorship in charge but these lads get well paid to do a job all we ask is they do it and not take the piss like they did at this event.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The only relevant adjective is the second one.

I'm from the country. I'm hard working. Before this ****, I had 3 jobs. 2 of them are gone, in part due to the restrictions this crowd signed off on.

**** Dara Calleary and his bull**** resignation. He still gets to sit on his fat 96k per year when I am starting to struggle to pay the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

On a law of averages there's bound to be people on here with the same level of judgement as our elite :D

Possibly, but we cannot know if they were responsible for drafting the restrictions we are all subject to. However we know several of the attendees at the Station House were responsible for the restrictions they deemed were not applicable to them .
    Either we are all in this together or we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

His resignation was an honorable act.
    It reminds me a little of Pope Benedict- he resigned to save the Catholic Church.

DC resigning will reinvigorate the FF party and come next election we will be in overall majority territory

Confirmed multi. Who's going to do a Scooby Doo reveal on this guy?

I'm beginning to thing Sorolla is fishing, and has a good catch, including myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Its actually sickening reading this stuff, i returned from abroad 12 days ago and have only left the house to go for a walk and these cowboys do whatever they want. Its like the old Beatles saying about the people in cheap seats just clap along while the rich/influential rattle their jewellery.

How was it ok for Paudge Connolly to head to Spain to play golf?? How many other Irish people are going against best advice and doing this? Were no questions asked at the airport when Connolly was hauling his golf clubs on board?? 'Essential travel' to Spain, a country which now has Europe's fastest rising caseload.....are you kidding me??? :mad:

To make matters worse, he cavalierly returns home and heads over to Clifden without observing any rules of quarantine!! :mad: Surely, at least, he should be tested for Covid as well as all who attended and worked in the Station House, Clifden, on the now infamous occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yurt! wrote: »
    Man alive. Is that really how FF people think?

I'm afraid that it is. Probably still has a photo of Dev never mind Haughey on his bedside locker.

Bye bye FF. Everything has a shelf life. FF got to almost 100 years. I'll ask again. When FF breaks up, who will get your vote? FG or will you row in with SF. One or the other surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Leo varadkar will end up running the country in a sort of Vladimir Putin type never ending role.

All he has to say is :Sure look what happens every time the other party get in

A never ending shīt show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

smurgen wrote: »
    Dude could have lead to the deaths of many people.

I'm genuinely shocked that a lot more is not being made about this guy's golfing trip to Spain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement