Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Cal4567 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that it is. Probably still has a photo of Dev never mind Haughey on his bedside locker.

Bye bye FF. Everything has a shelf life. FF got to almost 100 years. I'll ask again. When FF breaks up, who will get your vote? FG or will you row in with SF. One or the other surely?

I'd say the average age of FF voters is north of 60. The party is just a logo at this stage. More or less, we understand what every other party on the ticket are about love them or hate them. FF are just a husk of a political movement with a residual membership that hitched their wagon to the party in better times. I honestly can't put my finger on what the party's priorities are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

golfball37 wrote: »
    It should also be noted if this virus is as serious as we are led to believe these leaders put the lives of the staff, other guests and and their families lives at risk.

+100!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭eggy81

What do you hope to achieve by hounding them? Government resign and we have an election?

An improvement in standards goinh forward maybe? To let them know that this **** won't be tolerated anymore.

Or I suppise we could say nothing about any of this sort of behaviour and continue to let any and all politicians take the complete piss out of the people paying them their ridiculous salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Since this virus was hoist upon us by China i have lost an extended family member to it (my wife couldn't attend her aunties funeral), lost a lot of money through my business being down 80%, cancelled going on holiday and lost every last cent because country was on green list and wanted to do the right thing, watched both my daughters lose months of valuable education and social contact with friends and had to sell my motorbike (the only thing keeping me sane the last while) because we need to pay the rent.

Now i don't know if this virus is going to get worse the next few months but i am reading that if very well may and i'll be honest im nervous about that. When you factor in what i think will be the coming hard Brexit we are in for a very rocky few months/years ahead and we need real leadership and not this useless crap we are seeing at present from FF and FG. For the love of christ can these lads not just knock their heads together and use some sense. Get back to the dail and let's work this out. What the hell are they doing on 6 weeks holiday anyway?

Just so exhausted with it all and yes i know it's not as bad as living in Syria or some African country suffering from drought and having a dickhead dictatorship in charge but these lads get well paid to do a job all we ask is they do it and not take the piss like they did at this event.

Rant over.

I got as far as China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Any one else wonder if there’s any further bombshells to come in the Sunday papers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

It’s as much to do with fg as it is ff.
    the biggest fish there was the hulk hogan. Fg.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Exactly

That's the question media should be asking

They are all fat old guys too, the at risk group

Their entitlement renders them immune, don't you know?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Gods Gift wrote: »
    It’s as much to do with fg as it is ff.
    the biggest fish there was hogan. Fg.

Not a hope will Hogan fall.....that man was dipped in Teflon when he was born....nothing sticks to him.....I don't think he's losing much sleep over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    It's not that difficult to understand for sure.
    So, if I walk by somebody today only staying 1.5m away from them then I should resign from my job as a nuclear physicist at NASA, you would equate my breach with what your buddy Dara did, have I got that right

Well no, because for starters they are guilty of two different acts. However, if your buddy the physicist had a fine big pension and his sizeable income was public knowledge, how would people react to him speaking at the dinner? It cant be denied that this is a factor in peoples thinking, but it shouldnt be.

There should be proper sanctions for specific guideline breaks, relevant to what you have done. That should apply for everyone the same way, like any other law. The fact that this isnt in place is part of the problem. Nobody is looking for those who were running the establishment the dinner was in, who would have been in charge of numbers, to resign. Surely both should have to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Any one else wonder if there’s any further bombshells to come in the Sunday papers?

I would be somewhat disappointed if there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I'm beginning to thing Sorolla is fishing, and has a good catch, including myself

He/she hooked me too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

While the dinner proved to be a disaster, i can also see how someone could arrive expecting the thing to be run properly by the hotel. If they are a speaker at the thing, it makes it very awkward. It still shouldnt have happened, but I dont think it is as bad as it is being made out to be.
    More importantly, we need structure in our government at present. Wanting everyone to be sacked or resign because they broke a restriction is a bit like the whole defund the police stuff in america. It is far too reactionary and in the greater scheme of things, doesnt help our cause. To my mind, there isnt a single person in the country who themselves hasnt broken a restriction at some point. Im not justifying their actions, but I think we need a bit of perspective also. Can anyone honestly say they havent broken a restriction?

This sort of deflection makes me madder than the dinner itself. I guess you are another loyal Fianna Fail soldier. Looking for crumbs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

God but the spin is on.

No amount of your nonsensical hypothetical gibberish will change peoples mind that this was reckless, unnecessary and in clear contravention of the guidelines.

I never said it wasnt though. They are all as guilty as each other.
    So, why are we only bothered about the politicians and people with a bit of clout? That kind of undermines all this public awareness spiel that people are peddling. If they should lose their jobs in your eyes, then everyone in the room should also. The premises should probably lose its licence, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

How come Meehole couldnt exoress an opinion on the judiciary but FF members can go off and play golf with them and drink pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What p!ssed me off a great deal yesterday was the insincerity with which RTE handled the issue. Further clarified in my mind that they're an absolute waste of oxygen. Luckily when my generation are in their fifties they will undoubtedly have been scrapped due to non-payment of the licence fee.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/11226439

"Don't upset the establishment, we're part of it" was the vibe. That drive time bint tried to make it about the Sinn Féin funeral and then tried to make the Councillor say he was against golf; when he wouldn't she just angrily cut him off as though it was something Sinn Féin had done wrong. I actually saw a few RTÉ pricks trying to shoehorn the Sinn féin Funeral in. The interview with MM was done by somebody I can only assume is the new junior infant teacher in the school he's principal of.

Newstalk covered it well, guess their vested interests don't require as much ass licking. Sarah O'Rourke should feck off back to them and get free reign to go quietly ballistic in the subtle bit deadly way this time around.

If the state media was worth the money, the Dáil would already have be convened on Friday to deal with this. In general, the politicians would have reasonable public sector salaries. Backhanders, deals and schmoozing would be absolutely scrutinised beyond belief to the extent that it would just not be worth it for the cunts. People in the media (see Sean Ó Rourke, Claire Byrne etc) are too closely connected to the establishment, that's what hits too close to home for RTE. Young people can see that and aren't going to be conned into paying for an elite load of bollocks.

appledrop wrote: »
    I tell you what would be good. If MM turned around + said everyone at the event needed to get a Covid test. Then they would know what's its like for Factory Workers etc.

They all seem to think only effects the plebs not them. Imagine if one of them tested positive? Id say good chance as coming from all different parts of country + obviously don't care about Covid rules.

'Spain now has Europe's fastest rising caseload, with 142 positive cases per 100,000 inhabitants over the past two weeks. By the time the state of emergency ended on June 21st, Spain was registering 100 to 150 cases per day. That number has risen to more than 3,000.'

One of the Clifden golf dinner attendees had only just returned from a golfing trip to Spain, did not self quarantine for the required two weeks but joined 80+ people in a crowded hotel last Wednesday night. If I were anywhere near Paudge Connolly, who was the feckless selfish individual who could have placed many people in danger of contracting the virus, I think I would be looking for a test!!

I never said it wasnt though. They are all as guilty as each other.
    So, why are we only bothered about the politicians and people with a bit of clout? That kind of undermines all this public awareness spiel that people are peddling. If they should lose their jobs in your eyes, then everyone in the room should also. The premises should probably lose its licence, right?

It should be prosecuted in line with the other 150 odd places that are also being held to account.

As for others losing their jobs, that’s up to their employers, but public representatives are paid by the public and their behaviour can correctly be judged by the public, let’s not get carried away either, the agri lad has only lost a pay raise, he still keeps his cushy number until he goes before the people again.

I work with someone who is in Portugal, he’s coming back to two weeks unpaid leave that he will spend at home, he’s involved in some crucial projects, but the company has put everyone’s health ahead of that and him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The party troops are rallying.
    Get online and
    -control the narrative
    -drag the discussion off topic
    -try to twist it somehow, make the public think they are to blame too
    -deify our tireless, noble and hard-working politicians
    -limit the damage, manage fallout

FF and FG fanboys/girls assemble!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭eggy81

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If thats the case anyone having a house party should have same requirements placed on them

People aren't supposed to be having house parties outside of the stated restrictions you do realise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The last 10 mins of Playback this morning are worth a listen. People were really upset about how they had to get through Covid illnesses, deaths and burials under strict restrictions when the FF+FG politians and judges and bankers could flaunt the rules in Clifden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

brooke 2 wrote: »
    'Spain now has Europe's fastest rising caseload, with 142 positive cases per 100,000 inhabitants over the past two weeks. By the time the state of emergency ended on June 21st, Spain was registering 100 to 150 cases per day. That number has risen to more than 3,000.'

One of the Clifden golf dinner attendees had only just returned from a golfing trip to Spain, did not self quarantine for the required two weeks but joined 80+ people in a crowded hotel last Wednesday night. If I were anywhere near Paudge Connolly, who was the feckless selfish individual who could have placed many people in danger of contracting the virus, I think I would be looking for a test!!

He should be arrested. There’s an Irish woman currently serving a month in prison on the Isle of Man for breaking quarantine.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Excellent idea

Be some laugh alright if one tested positive

I'd be surprised if some of them didn't. I believe some people from Kildare were at the meal also, as well as the guy who had just returned from Spain.

Cal4567 wrote: »
    This sort of deflection makes me madder than the dinner itself. I guess you are another loyal Fianna Fail soldier. Looking for crumbs now.

And your guess would be wrong. Im not political at all. I find people who are, see the thing through a political prism only and it limits their view. They are all the same anyway.

What i am is a realist.
    We are all breaking these rules. Chasing after others to resign for things you are guilty of yourself is gobsh*te behaviour. We are going to need a solid government to get out of this well. We are going to need people well up in Europe also. Chopping and changing in a temper isnt going to give us that.
    Im also experienced enough to know that this thing is probably a stitch up to some degree by someone else with some other interest, and that we are all swallowing the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

I disagree. Not just DC either, any of them. For example, you could go to a gastropub in good faith. Order your meal, have your starter and just as the main comes out a big group come in that push the figures over thr acceptable rate. The thing isnt your doing, but you are now part of it. Do you get up and walk out? You might think, feck it i will just eat this as quick as i can and go. Should you lose your job for doing so? Is it your responsiblity to count how many people are in every pub/shop/etc you enter? Is that realistic?

As for people being held to higher standards, sorry but that is completely wrong. Our laws are our laws, they apply to everyone the same way. They arent superior beings.

The real issue here is that no punishments were agreed upon for breaking restrictions, so now people are going to town with them as a 2 fingers to the establishment. Im just concerned that we are cutting off our nose to spite our face

Well said. It's understandable that there is much bottled up annoyance and frustration among the public which is being hypervented now . But openly sneering at everything government speakers say , trying to pick holes in their statements and spitting vile abuse at them puts us in a very bad place. It's the virus , not government , that has caused the acute problems that some are experiencing. The same can be seen happening in most other developed countries. there's no virus handbook and experts flounder and disagree.
    Hopefully -despite the efforts of the media to fuel the fire- people will calm down . Politicians come from our own communities. -they are not the devil incarnate. Government and people need to co-operate or we're sunk.

How come Meehole couldnt exoress an opinion on the judiciary but FF members can go off and play golf with them and drink pints.

Herein lies a very big issue. If they are so independent of each other, why are they here seen to be in the same club, as it were?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

And your guess would be wrong. Im not political at all. I find people who are, see the thing through a political prism only and it limits their view. They are all the same anyway.

What i am is a realist.
    We are all breaking these rules. Chasing after others to resign for things you are guilty of yourself is gobsh*te behaviour. We are going to need a solid government to get out of this well. We are going to need people well up in Europe also. Chopping and changing in a temper isnt going to give us that.
    Im also experienced enough to know that this thing is probably a stitch up to some degree by someone else with some other interest, and that we are all swallowing the bait.

Would you F off with your ‘we are all’ crap. ‘We’ are not all breaking these rules - and ‘we’ are at risk of penalties if we do. ‘We’ might have businesses that are closed down due to obeying these rules.
    ‘We’ want to see those in a leadership role held to account fully for their choices.

boardise wrote: »
    Well said. It's understandable that there is much bottled up annoyance and frustration among the public which is being hypervented now . But openly sneering at everything government speakers say , trying to pick holes in their statements and spitting vile abuse at them puts us in a very bad place. It's the virus , not government , that has caused the acute problems that some are experiencing. The same can be seen happening in most other developed countries. there's no virus handbook and experts flounder and disagree.
    Hopefully -despite the efforts of the media to fuel the fire- people will calm down . Politicians come from our own communities. -they are not the devil incarnate. Government and people need to co-operate or we're sunk.

So they can make rules but not follow them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

What i am is a realist.
    We are all breaking these rules. Chasing after others to resign for things you are guilty of yourself is gobsh*te behaviour.

This is challenging.

Do you see any difference between somebody who is making the rules
    i.e. Dara Calleary breaking them (i.e. Dara Calleary breaking them by attending an indoor function with 81 people) and some ordinary gobsh1te who happens to walk within 1.5m of somebody.

Would you see any difference between those 2 incidents atall atall

• Advertisement

What i am is a realist.

Excuse me, speak for yourself, we are NOT ALL breaking the rules. At least I speak for myself here, and plenty of others I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement