Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Maria Bailey interview was very much an exception and she was clearly surprised that she wasn’t getting an easy ride from him which speaks volumes about his approach to interviewing FG members in the past. I doubt she’d have agreed to an interview like that from anyone other than O Rourke. As I said, he probably knew they wanted to be rid of her before the interview, hence his tough stance on it.

Maria shot herself in the foot to a large extent.

Sorolla wrote: »
    I think it is time we grow up as an electorate - we’re always putting pressure on the local TD to attend funerals - sometimes even rescheduling the funeral of we get word from the Monsignor that the local TD is away on business.

Putting pressure on the local TD to present the medals to the local GAA team

Putting pressure on the local TD to fix the road

Each one of us is responsible for what happened in Clifden because we would be bitching to the local radio station if we heard our local TD missed an opportunity to meet the EU commissioner

We are the ones who should be hanging our heads in shame

Go ahead and hang your head in shame, so. Nobody here to stop you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

More nonsense to fill the airwaves and to give a new angle when the news is becoming a little mundane. The Lebanon explosion didn't gain too much traction. Trump hasn't done anything outrageous and Belarus isn't as glamorous as protests in the schtates.

A public enquiry into a golf meet up and an inane argument about politicians being hypocrits as if by somehow becoming politicians, they will rise above the very human tendency to flaunt the rules and pick and choose what suits them. The same people criticising the scenes in Berlin D2 were probably only happy to pick the rules that suited them. Making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I think it is time we grow up as an electorate - we’re always putting pressure on the local TD to attend funerals - sometimes even rescheduling the funeral of we get word from the Monsignor that the local TD is away on business.

Each one of us is responsible for what happened in Clifden because we would be bitching to the local radio station if we heard our local TD missed an opportunity to meet the EU commissioner

Good man/women Sorolla, back for another cast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

tigger123 wrote: »
    Sean O'Rourke was the opposite of a soft interviewer.

Bull****. He would be just intense enough with questioning so that no one could say he gave them an easy time.

However openings for serious questions would be ignored.

He a pompous full of his own importance bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Donie Cassidy made a statement and then added he has been advised not to comment further until the Garda investigation complete. More of the arrogance. Cowards.

Yep the legal advice chestnut. Oh how the politicians were up in arms when John Delaney used that one.

Meehole says he can't recall the Dail. Alan Kelly quickly points out the standing order showing he can.

Keep digging lads, keep digging.

Bull****. He would be just intense enough with questioning so that no one could say he gave them an easy time.

However openings for serious questions would be ignored.

He a pompous full of his own importance bully.

I was a fan of O'Rourke, and agree...at times you wanted him to keep pressing with the questions.

You have to ask now was the backing off because of the invitation on his mantelpiece. You'd also have to ask would the likes of Vincent Browne be invited to something like this?

FG made it quite clear to Vinnie that he was off Enda's xmas card list if he asked any hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I don't know anyone who has ever rescheduled a funeral so a TD can show up.
    I think you're telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Big clever witty hardman.

Heartless.

Not really, I dont take My direction from Donald Trump, and have not the time of day for anyone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The reason as to why they should lose their jobs was put forward as being due do the fact they are public servants. I pointed out that they werent the only public servants in attendance yet are the only ones losing their jobs. Basically I was showing how that reason is nonsense.

My concern is that is our rush to stuck it to the politicians we lose sight of what is actually important - our recovery from the current situation. Weakening our own government and in particular our force in europe, isnt something to be taken so lightly.

Remember that no one has lost their job, just the creamy extras they were getting for supposedly being good at their jobs, which they have proven beyond doubt not to be the case.

He’s still a TD.
    Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's not a n overly long read, but it's a good one.

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1297059323655397376?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

When you get to a certain level in the old Republic the amount of interconnectedness becomes more and more pronounced. Politicians, captains of industry, high level bankers, the legal fraternity, journos, charity ceo's, pr guys, the lot they're all intermarried and frequent more or less the same establishments and there's a certain amount of pulling the ladder up after them at play, to be invited to one of these dos is an in and akin to being on the road to becoming a 'made guy' where different rules will apply. There is fear of a shifting of sands rather than concern for the citizens in those quarters however Its hard to see this circle being broken in the near to medium future, I see nothing to encourage me coming over the horizon, just another version of animal farm ready to play out... The needle returns to its place on the groove and we'll all sing along like before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    glad calleary is gone, incredibly dull man

Did anyone hear that J Buttimer has resigned also.
    IS THIS A RECORD!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

Would you go away out of that, what did he do for farmers during his time in office f ck all and when the beef strikes were on. That guy doesn’t know what day of the week it is. Leave that c nt in cork.

Well said he was a two face bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Who has ever rescheduled a funeral because of a TD? Most people are happy to not have them around since they will eventually make it about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I opened all the news sites this morning to compare headlines - tells a story, especially about RTE

Can you show some comparisons?

I agree btw, minimal coverage on RTE to suit their agenda as much as they can get away with, same as the overdoing on the Covid coverage.

I was a fan of O'Rourke, and agree...at times you wanted him to keep pressing with the questions.

You have to ask now was the backing off because of the invitation on his mantelpiece. You'd also have to ask would the likes of Vincent Browne be invited to something like this?

FG made it quite clear to Vinnie that he was off Enda's xmas card list if he asked any hard questions.

Was the late C J Haughey not the master of being in control of ALL interviews given . Is it not the case that ‘ people of importance’ will only give interviews if it is agreed that certain questions are not asked and other questions are asked?
    SO are leaders , politicians, etc at the same strategy. So please do not isolate poor Enda into a box by himself.

Field east wrote: »
    Was the late C J Haughey not the master of being in control of ALL interviews given . Is it not the case that ‘ people of importance’ will only give interviews if it is agreed that certain questions are not asked and other questions are asked?
    SO are leaders , politicians, etc at the same strategy. So please do not isolate poor Enda into a box by himself.

Field East - Enda boycotted Browne's show. You do know this?

It was fairly clear what he was saying - 'play ball or we ignore you'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Folks seem to be more angry about this than the treatment of the elderly in nursing homes during the height of Covid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Kind of archaic that people think that there is some sort of secret circle going on here, just because you get a few golfers in a room. People lusting for blood because they whipped out the good wine on a Wednesday night in Connemara. Heaven forbid. Gangs of commies rubbing their knees because they caught a few fat Paddy's having a "shindig", tut tut tut.

When the dust settles there will be another outrage next week, last week it was a Z celebrity from Wicklow wearing a camouflaged t-shirt.

I thought it was telling that there were hundreds of thousands of businessmen and Irish millionaires not in the room, how dare they the bastards? etc etc.

Rubbing shoulders my eye, storm in a tea-cup, a phucking disgrace blah phucking blah. Big Phil didn't lose a wink over that, I hear Mick Lowry is still on the floor in fits, his stomach is aching he laughed so hard. Denis O'Brien sent Daz a bottle of cognac as a commiseration, nice of him. McManus opened a 38 year old Irish and spat ice in it, he does that sometimes.

Seemingly the dot com lads are too millennial and boring so don't get any invos, too woke to be corrupted, how bland. More likely to get ecstatic over a fire work display in Kuala Lumpur or a conspiracy over a Covid Vaccine.

Looking forward to the next outrage. No doubt the minister for education will be snapped buying clothes without a face mask or shaking hands with a headmistress from Kildare ( in a pub eating pizza , probably in Leixlip ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The FFG fan boys have a new tactic to try on us.

Tell people this is a non-event that is only getting airtime because it is a slow news day. 'Nothing to see hear people, move along. Just ignore it please'
    They are really getting desperate now :D

They all seem to come up with these new tactics at the exact same time. Well organised if nothing else.
    They seem to work in shifts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Kind of archaic that people think that there is some sort of secret circle going on here, just because you get a few golfers in a room. People lusting for blood because they whipped out the good wine on a Wednesday night in Connemara. Heaven forbid. Gangs of commies rubbing their knees because they caught a few fat Paddy's having a "shindig", tut tut tut.

When the dust settles there will be another outrage next week, last week it was a Z celebrity from Wicklow wearing a camouflaged t-shirt.

I thought it was telling that there were hundreds of thousands of businessmen and Irish millionaires not in the room, how dare they the bastards? etc etc.

Rubbing shoulders my eye, storm in a tea-cup, a phucking disgrace blah phucking blah. Big Phil didn't lose a wink over that, I hear Mick Lowry is still on the floor in fits, his stomach is aching he laughed so hard. Denis O'Brien sent Daz a bottle of cognac as a commiseration, nice of him. McManus opened a 38 year old Irish and spat ice in it, he does that sometimes.

Seemingly the dot com lads are too millennial and boring so don't get any invos, too woke to be corrupted, how bland. More likely to get ecstatic over a fire work display in Kuala Lumpur or a conspiracy over a Covid Vaccine.

Looking forward to the next outrage. No doubt the minister for education will be snapped buying clothes without a face mask or shaking hands with a headmistress from Kildare ( in a pub eating pizza , probably in Leixlip ).

Who paid for the dinner, green fees and hotels?

endainoz wrote: »
    Harris getting on board now aswell, it's blatantly obvious what FG are doing.

What is it doing .Pls elaborate,. It is not obvious to me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Load of arsebiscuit scutter, sure Calleary himself wasn't even "a golfer"

Just so you know btw......when you pick a username on this site, it's not compulsory to post in accordance with it.

You would say that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

More nonsense to fill the airwaves and to give a new angle when the news is becoming a little mundane. The Lebanon explosion didn't gain too much traction. Trump hasn't done anything outrageous and Belarus isn't as glamorous as protests in the schtates.

A public enquiry into a golf meet up and an inane argument about politicians being hypocrits as if by somehow becoming politicians, they will rise above the very human tendency to flaunt the rules and pick and choose what suits them. The same people criticising the scenes in Berlin D2 were probably only happy to pick the rules that suited them. Making a mountain out of a molehill.

We'll worry about our people before we need to worry about what's going on with Trump. Donate your wages to a Lebanon rebuild fund if you feel the need. Move over to Minsk and start a new political party.

People are trusted to uphold the laws, paid lots of money to do it also. They break they rules a day after they force it on the population.

Take off your blinkers ffs.

Field East - Enda boycotted Browne's show. You do know this?

It was fairly clear what he was saying - 'play ball or we ignore you'.

No quarrel with that, but what about the rest of them.. some farm leaders in the past at least, political pundits ( eg Eoin Harris) either would not go on some TV / radio shows or were not invited on to take part because of no guarantee of fair treatment, agenda could not be controlled, etc.

Field east wrote: »
    No quarrel with that, but what about the rest of them.. some farm leaders in the past at least, political pundits ( eg Eoin Harris) either would not go on some TV / radio shows or were not invited on to take part because of no guarantee of fair treatment, agenda could not be controlled, etc.

You are free to mention them. Knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

statesaver wrote: »
    Folks seem to be more angry about this than the treatment of the elderly in nursing homes during the height of Covid.

They are, probably because it's a one off clearly discernible event that flies in the face of everything our betters are telling us while doing the opposite themselves.

The Covid nursing home scandal which almost certainly led directly to many many people dying unnecessarily got sorta airbrushed because it happened out of sight of the ordinary Joe, and because of the spin expertise of Varadkar/Harris (many years of practice). An absolute scandal obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

El Weirdo wrote: »
    No one's convincing me that Martin, Varadkar and the rest of the government didn't know that this event was taking place before Thursday night when the story broke.

Surely an email or something went around to every member of the Oireachtas informing them of social events. Like it does in every company in the world.

Lets not forget either that both Michael Martin and Leo Varadkar have no less than six special advisers each on salaries of 90k up to 180k. Thats on top of their Dail secretarys and constituency secretarys. So to say that they did not have previous knowledge of this gold shindig is complete scutter, they literally have an army of very well paid PR merchants to tell them everything that it going on.

Of course we would have the answer to what Martin knew and when he knew it if Catriona Perry had actually asked the question of Michael Martin in his RTE interview yesterday evening. But she didn't, her priority seemed to be to give him as soft an interview as possible, it was pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement