Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The EU AFAIS did not issue any instructions to member states re C19. They totally backed off and left it up to individual member states to decide how to react.

Wonder on what basis he could be sacked by VD Leyen. Not supporting Hogan at all, just wondering how it could happen.

Honestly dont know the answer to that question but if it turns out that Hogan has not only been breaching guidelines but lying through his teeth about it as well and suffers no consequences, i think it just adds to the perception and anger out there that some people are completely above accountability. I think that puts him in an extremely tight position, whatever the technicalities of the situation regarding his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The EU AFAIS did not issue any instructions to member states re C19. They totally backed off and left it up to individual member states to decide how to react.

Wonder on what basis he could be sacked by VD Leyen. Not supporting Hogan at all, just wondering how it could happen.

He'll be made an offer he can't refuse, word in is shell-like innit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

So how much will that round of golf cost Phil in terms of loss of earnings? A couple of million at least. Most expensive round ever!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

How can the Irish Government sack him?

The Taoiseach is a member of the European Council, with the prime ministers of the other 26 member states. It's not like he is restricted to national politics!
    His opinion will be heard, and while Phil Hogan can't be fired, even he can be pressured into resigning.
    We actually need him as Trade Commissioner for Brexit. He has a neck like a jockey's blx which is what is needed to face up to Britain in this aspect.

It does pain me to say that, but we shall see what happens.

I don't think Phil Hogan is what we need right now - ff anything he could be a liability, given this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I hear ya loud and clear.

I did make an error of judgment, clouded perhaps by hoping that little ole Ireland had a strong voice at the Brexit Trade talks.

I submit my resignation fortwith!

Resignation refused, i prefer to communicate with people where we can have different opinions...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

jpfahy wrote: »
    So how much will that round of golf cost Phil in terms of loss of earnings? A couple of million at least. Most expensive round ever!!!!
    As another poster said above, he's majorly in the boys club so he'll be absolutely looked after.
    This is his basic, very basic pay right now:
    A Commissioner's basic monthly salary is fixed at 112.5% of the top civil service grade. This works out at €22,367.04 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Over 2,000 posts dragging on for days and days because approximately 80 people attended a social function where the limit was 50. Jesus wept.

I mean I get that people are annoyed at the perception there's 'one rule for them and one rule for us' but it's utter horse manure; 'us' have been flouting all kinds of restrictions since day one. And you can bet your life that Johnny who was jammed into the pub for hours didn't have to resign afterwards.

And not only that but if you're attending a social event at a hotel; you're naturally going to assume that they will be abiding by the restrictions for holding such events. So is it the case that no politician should be attending any social event whatsoever? Aside from the fact that the guidelines promoted and published by the Government state:
    Multiple gatherings are allowed in venue facilities provided they are in separate defined spaces and there are systems to prevent intermingling in common spaces(e.g. entrances, exits and toilet facilities).

I mean if the guidelines were indeed breached then that is the responsibility of the event organisers and the hotel; not the guests. Yet it's the guests who are being pilloried across the media irrespective of whether they as individuals were following all guidelines as attendees of an event.

Be pissed off that an event occurred in violation of the guidelines; fine. This happens daily and we should continue to be pissed off that it occurs. However the response to this has been way out of any kind of reasonable proportion both in the context of Irish Politics and what is actually going on in the world in general. Some people really need to get a damn grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

He is toast. Au revoir Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His position is now untenable.

It could up being the best thing happened in Irish politics in the last 40 years...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Public endangerment. Breaking the quarantine rules of a EU block nation and then lying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kelly is another politician I detest.
    At one time during the Water Protests I thought he was Big Phil’s love child.
    Both united by arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Will the supreme judge go as well?...I still don't think hogan will go that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ronivek wrote: »
    Over 2,000 posts dragging on for days and days because approximately 80 people attended a social function where the limit was 50. Jesus wept.

I mean I get that people are annoyed at the perception there's 'one rule for them and one rule for us' but it's utter horse manure; 'us' have been flouting all kinds of restrictions since day one. And you can bet your life that Johnny who was jammed into the pub for hours didn't have to resign afterwards.

And not only that but if you're attending a social event at a hotel; you're naturally going to assume that they will be abiding by the restrictions for holding such events. So is it the case that no politician should be attending any social event whatsoever? Aside from the fact that the guidelines promoted and published by the Government state:

I mean if the guidelines were indeed breached then that is the responsibility of the event organisers and the hotel; not the guests. Yet it's the guests who are being pilloried across the media irrespective of whether they as individuals were following all guidelines as attendees of an event.

Be pissed off that an event occurred in violation of the guidelines; fine. This happens daily and we should continue to be pissed off that it occurs. However the response to this has been way out of any kind of reasonable proportion both in the context of Irish Politics and what is actually going on in the world in general. Some people really need to get a damn grip.

Put that in an email and send it to Michael and Leo quick...get them to put that message out in response and get back to us about how it all goes.

Phil is telling pokies about his movements. He'll resign tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    As another poster said above, he's majorly in the boys club so he'll be absolutely looked after.
    This is his basic, very basic pay right now:
    A Commissioner's basic monthly salary is fixed at 112.5% of the top civil service grade. This works out at €22,367.04 per month

Ah that's only a pittance to him. As you say that's the basic, it's the top ups that matter. I think their tax treatment is quite favourable too, not sure just based on something I remember reading a while ago.

I wonder will Mairead Mc Guinness (VP of the EU Parliament) make a statement, or be asked for a comment. LOL.

ronivek wrote: »

Your post doesn't recognise that tv, radio, newspapers all have this as the #1 story as it is developing hour by hour.
    You also didn't once mention lawmakers were involved, very high positioned lawmakers who erm, make the rules.
    Ever heard of the phrase, 'bring the people with you'?
    Trying to get people on this here forum to stop being inconvenient to party feelings won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

gifted wrote: »
    Will the supreme judge go as well?...I still don't think hogan will go that easy

Doubt its in his nature to go easy. But the two leaders have fairly set their stall out on this, they'd look a bit weak, or at least weaker than they already are, if big phil stood his ground and held off. Would be some mexican stand off if it came to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just where can the bould Phil fail upwards to from here?

He's already withdrawn from the WTO director general nomination, off to Bilderberg or some other cabaal?

I see the Taoseaich, Tanaiste and the token gimp have moved to recall the Dail too!
    Dissolution? And new election called? How will an election run here during a pandemic?
    Could the voting window be extended?

Public endangerment. Breaking the quarantine rules of a EU block nation and then lying about it.

Politics and negotiation just a game, if you have no Credibility its game over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It’s still too early to judge him.

He had already lost the run of himself when he appeared on the Late Late and basked in the glory of his imminent election as Taoiseach.

I have never ever seen such a cringey performance by any politician and he has duly gone on to prove that he is not only not worthy of the office, but he will be remembered as the leader that destroyed the party in an attempt to avoid being recorded as the only leader not to have been Taoiseach.

Leo has run rings around him, Eamon is worried about bread wrappers and Mary Lou and Pearse will be running the country soon.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ah that's only a pittance to him. As you say that's the basic, it's the top ups that matter. I think their tax treatment is quite favourable too, not sure just based on something I remember reading a while ago.

I wonder will Mairead Mc Guinness (VP of the EU Parliament) make a statement, or be asked for a comment. LOL.
    Yeah, the perks are astronomical I believe.

banie01 wrote: »

He's already withdrawn from the WTO director general nomination, off to Bilderberg or some other cabaal?

I see the Taoseaich, Tanaiste and the token gimp have moved to recall the Dail too!
    Dissolution? And new election called? How will an election run here during a pandemic?

Pull yourself together man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Big Phil proving his arrogance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Leo knows if he bring down the government now that he will sail back into power.

The question is if he is willing to have a GE or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Doubt its in his nature to go easy. But the two leaders have fairly set their stall out on this, they'd look a bit weak, or at least weaker than they already are, if big phil stood his ground and held off. Would be some mexican stand off if it came to it!

Big Phil would know digging in would draw Von Der Leyden in to make a decision...her relations with a key country during a messy Brexit or her relations with an individual.

Big Phil is on his way to Brussels to pay his tabs and clear his desk I think.

banie01 wrote: »

Best option all party Government or carry on as we are until Covid settles...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Katie Hannon from RTE posted the email on twitter, it’s under embargo until midnight and the tweet has since been deleted

Why would it be under embargo?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I can't believe this is happening in the Silly Season. It's great entertainment altogether.

I really thought it would be buried after Calleary resigned (before he was pushed). As a nation we do love the political shenanigans don't we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why would it be under embargo?
    Government press release states 'strict embargo' until midnight, no idea why

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement