Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why would it be under embargo?

Good question. Are they handing out scoops as favours to journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can't believe this is happening in the Silly Season. It's great entertainment altogether.

I really thought it would be buried after Calleary resigned (before he was pushed). As a nation we do love the political shenanigans don't we.

Irish politics is the gift that keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Best option all party Government or carry on as we are until Covid settles...

Any opposition party would be crazy to go anywhere near this freak show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Government press release states 'strict embargo' until midnight, no idea why

Because the date of resignation tomorrow i expect.
    If it announced now look like sacked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Government wont fall over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

gifted wrote: »
    Will the supreme judge go as well?...I still don't think hogan will go that easy

Interesting question about the SC Judge. I don't know, but I agree that Big Phil might not go so easily either, but we shall see.

And all for a round of golf and beef or salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

How come Meehole couldnt exoress an opinion on the judiciary but FF members can go off and play golf with them and drink pints.

That’s called statesmanship.the courts and the political class are independent from each other in our vibrant democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

She was right to go as once she fallows Airline, Spanish rules while there and Irish rules on return all ok...
    One rule for the Shinners as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The embargo applies to the dail being recalled, has nothing to do with hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Best option all party Government or carry on as we are until Covid settles...

I agree that an all party government is probably the least disruptive and dangerous outcome.

Thing is, I honestly don't see anyone wanting to be seen to prop up FFG on the left.
    A return to the polls will likely wipe out FF and the green bounce will be slapped down hard.

FF have managed to make FG led government seem like a golden time of competence, when it was anything but.

M.Martin has been shown up to be both incompetent and an astonishingly poor party leader let alone Taoseaich in just a couple of months in Government.

The level of vitriol and disgust that the #golfgate has triggered is staggering.
    The goodwill of the people is evaporating and Martin is not the leader to regain it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What? Embargo is till midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

We have put up with a lot from our government in this country over the years but this is the straw that broke the camel's back I think.
    Hopefully elected representatives will have a bit more cop-on in the future and remember that they are supposed to be working for us and looking out for our interests, or else... remember Golfgate?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any opposition party would be crazy to go anywhere near this freak show.

There has not being opposition in Irish policits for years, confidence and supply, now this 3 way coalition ans SF have nothing constructive to say about anything. Recall the Dail just window dressing to stay as is...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Goddam it! I was close enough.

IMG-20200821-230302.jpg

All together now.

♫ ♫Rock the boat, rock the boat
    Work the middle, work the middle baby♫ ♫

And to think that at one point the majority were on message, doing all the right things, no funerals, no weddings, no gatherings no nothing, was very tough for many.

Respect is gone as is credibility now. And the rent a crowd are out on the streets too. We need a head or two or three on the guillotine now.

And then, whew, back to the schools reopening next week and it starts all over again.

Has anyone seen or heard Norma Foley since her appointment. Sorry to drag things off topic. Ignore if you want.

banie01 wrote: »
    I agree that an all party government is probably the least disruptive and dangerous outcome.

Thing is, I honestly don't see anyone wanting to be seen to prop up FFG on the left.
    A return to the polls will likely wipe out FF and the green bounce will be slapped down hard.

FF have managed to make FG led government seem like a golden time of competence, when it was anything but.

M.Martin has been shown up to be both incompetent and an astonishingly poor party leader let alone Taoseaich in just a couple of months in Government.

The level of vitriol and disgust that the #golfgate has triggered is staggering.
    The goodwill of the people is evaporating and Martin is not the leader to regain it IMO.

National govt would be a disaster, this is as near as we have come to one and look at it? Fg behaving disgracefully, throw SF, Lab etc into the mix and what have you? Not sure the Greens would suffer too much either in an election

And to think that at one point the majority were on message, doing all the right things, no funerals, no weddings, no gatherings no nothing, was very tough for many.

Respect is gone as is credibility now. And the rent a crowd are out on the streets too. We need a head or two or three on the guillotine now.

And then, whew, back to the schools reopening next week and it starts all over again.

Has anyone seen or heard Norma Foley since her appointment. Sorry to drag things off topic. Ignore if you want.

Shes been fairly active in media last few days

McMurphy wrote: »
    All together now.

♫ ♫Rock the boat, rock the boat
    Work the middle, work the middle baby♫ ♫

Thanks for the laugh, badly needed. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Government wont fall over this.

You are wrong you know. They won't make Xmas

The biggest problem is that the government has completely lost the moral high ground in relation to Covid restrictions.
    It will be very difficult for the government to regain the confidence and trust of the public. Their credibility is in tatters.

• Advertisement

You are wrong you know. They won't make Xmas

I am never wrong. Christmas is 124 days away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

A lot saying the government won't last but how can they possibly hold a general election now? I don't think NPHET would be fond of the idea.

The biggest problem is that the government has completely lost the moral high ground in relation to Covid restrictions.
    It will be very difficult for the government to regain the confidence and trust of the public. Their credibility is in tatters.

Agree, but to be fair, most people will observe restrictions to protect their loved ones and families, they rely on that.

It's the rent a crowd who won't and probably never did anyway.

National govt would be a disaster, this is as near as we have come to one and look at it? Fg behaving disgracefully, throw SF, Lab etc into the mix and what have you? Not sure the Greens would suffer too much either in an election

I totally agree with what you say.
    I was just thinking of National Government until Covid allows go to the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A lot saying the government won't last but how can they possibly hold a general election now? I don't think NPHET would be fond of the idea.

No chance of a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Matters not one jot whether NPHET would be fond of it or not, democracy innit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This govt override NPHET anytime it bloody well suits them FFS. Wonder what NPHET thought about Clifden?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's curious the one main party you didn't mention?
    As for this being the closest we've been? No, it's not we've had the rainbow coalition of 94-97 that was of a similar make-up.

FG's disgraceful behaviour is quite calculated, as the fallout isn't blowing back on them.
    SF, why make any noise at all when the Govt are making all the mistakes needed to make them appear a viable alternative without their needing to utter a word.

I'd hazard the greens will suffer the usual fate of the junior party when election comes.
    Eamon Ryan's snooze in the Dail won't win many repeat votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seligehgit wrote: »
    No chance of a general election.

Plenty saying a few hours ago that there was no chance of Hogan going...he has been asked to go by leaders and exposed as a liar.
    A lock of hours is a long time in politics.

• Advertisement

And it all started with Failte Ireland man going abroad. No going back from that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement