Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The indo seem to think that Hogan stepping down as EU Commissioner is "inevitable "

Various media organisations around the world have picked up on the story.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer parasite

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The typical Irish unthinking, half-arsed, arra shur tis grand/shur twill do attitude comes unstuck.

Hardly any great surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dickie bruton to take over in Brussels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I read something similar on the RTE website about it.

The Irish Hotels Federation asked the Department of Tourism for clarification on Wednesday morning about the new guidelines.

Department of Tourism said status quo (50 people) remains in please untill clarification was received.

The clarification was received on Friday afternoon.

So 41 people in a room was fine on Wednesday night according to Department of Tourism.

The likes of Callery and co were totally stupid and tone deaf to allow themselves to be caught up in this, but they did not seem to be blatantly breaking any rules or ignoring any guidelines.

People were ringing in to a radio show yesterday who were also staying in that hotel .They said the golf groups were gathering in groups , shaking hands and no SD .Three or four were blocking the lift entry and people had to shout at them to move .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Happier times for Big Phil

https://youtu.be/fvG8duV0OJE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I'm finding it hard to cut through the noise here.
    Was the event in breach of guidelines or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Will the Banking & Payments Federation ask Brian Hayes to resign, or is he above reproach?

At some stage he'll be photographed with Varadker et. al., so maybe a statement should be forthcoming from them. As a former legislator he should have known that what he was doing was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In terms of then current guidelines no but the crossover into the new muddled messages left Calleary and Buttimer exposed as they attended an event that bent those rules double. They should have checked first and declined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No wonder poor Hogan had to escape Kildare before his 14 days were up during a countywide lockdown
    (the cheek of the K Club charging monstrous dosh for that dogs dinner! Money can't buy class)
    https://twitter.com/colincoyle/status/1297442510911012866?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Sort of it seems as there is a lot of confusion for business.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-hotels-federation-was-awaiting-clarification-on-new-guidelines-at-time-of-golf-dinner-1.4336125%3fmode=amp

I think the whole thing with the speeches when the partitions were removed probably brought it over the line as not. But there were reports yesterday that they were strict about not having having tables inter-mingling and there was no drinking at the bar.

3 weeks ago it was all about trying to get the economy going again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

KevRossi wrote: »
    Will the Banking & Payments Federation ask Brian Hayes to resign, or is he above reproach?

At some stage he'll be photographed with Varadker et. al., so maybe a statement should be forthcoming from them. As a former legislator he should have known that what he was doing was wrong.

You are presuming an organisation representing companies like that have any morals

Resignations, even when required, tend to provide vindication of sorts to people's heightened sense of righteousness. It's even better when it's someone they don't like on sight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Brian is saying that he is a private citizen now and is a private matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gods Gift wrote: »

The taxpayer paid for his dinner

And he's not wrong, most of the 80 were private citizens.

Untouchable I would have thought.
    Sure didn't his lot run rings around the wonderfully popular heros Varadkar and Donohoe with their spiel just a few months ago when people really needed help, not fake profit-driven help.

The taxpayer paid for his dinner
    How was that?

is_that_so wrote: »
    How was that?

I did not realise it was a State dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    People were ringing in to a radio show yesterday who were also staying in that hotel .They said the golf groups were gathering in groups , shaking hands and no SD .Three or four were blocking the lift entry and people had to shout at them to move .
    Well that's just hearsay.

The reality is that by being in a room with more than 5 others on Wednesday was not the blatant disregard for the guidelines as people first thought it was.

The notion of "one rule for them and one rule for us" goes out the window.

Replace the golfers with volunteers for the homeless at that function and they would still be within the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So what are the key radio/TV shows to watch for today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

is_that_so wrote: »
    In terms of then current guidelines no but the crossover into the new muddled messages left Calleary and Buttimer exposed as they attended an event that bent those rules double. They should have checked first and declined.

Does anyone recall at the shambles of a press briefing last Tuesday to announce the new measures,MM was asked if the new guidelines come into effect at midnight or immediately??
    MM stumbled and stuttered “immediately “...people I know cancelled indoor training that night coz more than 6 were to be in attendance,but,quelle surprise,these goons decided that immediately didn’t apply to them....

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So what are the key radio/TV shows to watch for today?
    Gavin Reilly, who's on holiday (but that got fecked by the Wednesday night) is back on Newstalk at 11. He's pretty good.

Varadkar is on RTE R1 at 1pm I read elsewhere.
    O'Connor's show at 11 is hugely hit and miss, don't know who's on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Any word from the staff on the tips. I’d say there big tippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

As far as the banking and payments fed are concerned, Brian was doing his job - hobbing with the knobs. It's a networking opportunity that they would expect him to be involved in. This is the Galway tent approach back again - big boys doing big deals in private, that the little people don't need to know about - until it screws the country up. Having said that, for optics, they might now throw him to the wolves, but not without a golden parachute package.

It's no surprise who was there or what they were up to, it's the stunning arrogance that they saw fit to carry on as normal in very un-normal times. The question of the judge blurring the lines between of association between the state and legal system, is also a very concerning matter.

Every last one of them should resign form any public office held. Leo and Micheal need to call a giant party meeting each and read the riot act. Tell them all to Fall in or fcuk off! Although it may even be too late for that. Question is, what happens at the next general election now that we know that none of them are able to produce the change in political standards that the electorate so badly wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭bloopy

Any word from the staff on the tips. I’d say there big tippers.

From experience, I would suggest yer probably wrong in that assumption.

bloopy wrote: »
    From experience, I would suggest yer probably wrong in that assumption.

The media types were the worst tippers. I found politicians to be quite good tippers actually and usually treated people quite well (with some notable exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

This excuse (cover our arses) that's coming out, about the guidelines were unclear, there is a lag to implement them in hotels, is also farical.

When the announcement was coming through last week, I was already asking what impacts it has on out plans and events (you can check my post history).

The proplem is, I have to check here with ye lot (no offence), where the hotel and golf society had the very people who made the rules sitting at their tables on the night, and if one of those ejits could clarify for them, I'm sure they have MM number or Leo's number to fu.... k.. g check...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

If Hayes was giving access to vulture fund capitalists as alleged here then he should be removed also.
    New politics me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Mr Tony Benn put it well imv

The unelected hate them questions.
    The only people that can get rid of Hogan are other unelected people.

I hope this shows people how dangerous having someone in such an important position, who is not elected is by its citizens is.

Unlike politicans, we are not able to loan the powers to the commissioner. The commissioner is selected therefor he is not accountable to the Irish people or its elected govement any other EU Citizen or goverment.

Frighting stuff but real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

seligehgit wrote: »
    No chance of a general election.

The government will fall over this just a matter of time.

Next up will be disaster of LC predictive grades + then Covid cases sky rocking when schooks open just like has happened in Berlin.

Don't forget the 1982 government fell over VAT on children's shoes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement