Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

If this was in front of a rationale body such as a Court or workplace dispute it would be thrown out in minutes but this is the Court of public opinion.

This is not a WRC or any other work place dispute.

The powerful attended a event that should not of happened.
    When they got there they should of known that it was wrong.

When many of the elected who attended come up for re election the people will have there say, that is who they are accoutable to the people.

Phil Hogan was not elected by the irish people or the EU citizens. He was selected, He is not accountable to the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

golfball37 wrote: »
    If Hayes was giving access to vulture fund capitalists as alleged here then he should be removed also.
    New politics me arse.

He isn't in politics anymore. After years of working for the banks in government he actually decided to just officially work for the banks now.

I'd be banned if i actually said what i wanted to say about him.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Any word from the staff on the tips. I’d say there big tippers.

Rich people are rubbish tippers. I say that from years of previous experience in my teens and 20's working waiter and bartender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

mick087 wrote: »
    This is not a WRC or any other work place dispute.

The powerful attended a event that should not of happened.
    When they got there they should of known that it was wrong.

When many of the elected who attended come up for re election the people will have there say, that is who they are accoutable to the people.

Phil Hogan was not elected by the irish people or the EU citizens. He was selected, He is not accountable to the people.

An event that was completely ok to happen the day before until we had a mess of a Cabinet meeting. The industry were still seeking clarification. This was not a black and white issue.

If the Oireachtas society had cancelled the event there would also have been all kinds of crap that tourism was not being supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

If the IHF/the hotel are coming out with this story of having no more than 50 in a room (as per the regs til August 18th,does that mean they were accommodating weddings of more than 50??doubtful...
    By the hotel’s story,they could hold say 300 people in 6 different “rooms“,but surely there could have been no more than 50 Per function??(as per old guidelines)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Rich people are rubbish tippers. I say that from years of previous experience in my teens and 20's working waiter and bartender.

My experience working in rugby clubs was the opposite. Generally good tippers And more importantly treated people well with some notable exceptions (one of those exceptions has had a troubling few years).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

gmisk wrote: »
    There are some very decent speakers and politicians like her, o'broin and Doherty, but outside of that top tier....... A lot of them are absolutely brutal

There were some very good soccer players also but they do not necessarily make good managers. Need to be careful what we wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Mr Tony Benn put it well imv

I have believed for at least the last 20 years that we get democracy for one day about every 5 years, the rest of the time the make it up as they go along.
    Would it not be a good time to start a root & branch review of our crazy parochial political system, the boys from Kerry, the political family dynasties where there is an absolute rhght to have the family name in Dail or chair of Council etc.
    We need to get people of integrity into politics for the future of our country, people who can cut-it and make the right decisions for the Country and not be thinking of their own little patch Galway or Offaly.

We are awash with money at the moment and its being wasted on administration.
    The opportunity is there now so we should press for change...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

appledrop wrote: »
    The government will fall over this just a matter of time.

Next up will be disaster of LC predictive grades + then Covid cases sky rocking when schooks open just like has happened in Berlin.

Don't forget the 1982 government fell over VAT on children's shoes!

Was it something like 3 elections in 18 months back then, crazy stuff all right but this makeshift Government is a walking disaster at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

An event that was completely ok to happen the day before until we had a mess of a Cabinet meeting. The industry were still seeking clarification. This was not a black and white issue.

If the Oireachtas society had cancelled the event there would also have been all kinds of crap that tourism was not being supported.

No it wasn't unless the day before 81 was less than 50.

Thats where this 'excuse' doesn't wash. It was in breach of restrictions even before the guidance was changed on Tuesday.

Oh, and you would want to be living under a rock to not know restrictions had changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Benimar wrote: »

Oh, and you would want to be living under a rock to not know restrictions had changed.

I could show several WhatApp's cancelling training for soccer and GAA and events recieved an hour after the renewed regs were announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

has anyone figured out the FULL attendee list as yet?

not just those dinner placing cards

e.g. Brian Hayes +3

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

martco wrote: »
    has anyone figured out the FULL attendee list as yet?

not just those dinner placing cards

e.g. Brian Hayes +3

?

Any word from Brian?

One of the cnuts who cut the resbite care grant back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I agree. The very wealthy owners of a group of restaurants I worked for used to come in with a party of 20 every Xmas Eve and sat around drinking way past closing. Expected the royal service (even their kids) and you were lucky if you got a tenner off them on a 500 euro bill.

Normal Joe soap was always the better tipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Not hearing too much about the organiser of the clifden event, donie Cassidy. Surely he should be removed completely from any publicly paid role..? Presumably the long held hatred for Hogan is forming the headlines at the moment.

UsBus wrote: »
    Not hearing too much about the organiser of the clifden event, donie Cassidy. Surely he should be removed completely from any publicly paid role..? Presumably the long held hatred for Hogan is forming the headlines at the moment.

Only a matter of time before the press get to the others. As long as Covid is around this story isn't going away.

The anger will grow as the cases grow when schools return. If someone from the event catches the virus it will get turned up a few notches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

UsBus wrote: »

Think you're right about the witch hunt re Hogan.

Proper order too. A cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Benimar wrote: »
    No it wasn't unless the day before 81 was less than 50.

Thats where this 'excuse' doesn't wash. It was in breach of restrictions even before the guidance was changed on Tuesday.

Even if it was okay the day before, we've been hearing the government tell us for months that people should just walk away from situations that look like they could be in breach of regulations. Are we to believe that these people aren't capable of doing what the rest of us are being asked to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The next strategy for the FFG Fanboys seems to be
    -Make sure our party comes out of it looking slightly better. Drag the other crowd through the mud.

The next strategy for the FFG Fanboys seems to be
    -Make sure our party comes out of it looking slightly better. Drag the other crowd through the mud.

Thus always the way. Party first, country second. We are all responsible for giving them the opportunity at the voting booths time and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

KevRossi wrote: »
    Will the Banking & Payments Federation ask Brian Hayes to resign, or is he above reproach?

In the words of Mick Bailey, will they fcuk. Hayes was there at their behest, the more ears that Brian could bend at one sitting the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I have believed for at least the last 20 years that we get democracy for one day about every 5 years, the rest of the time the make it up as they go along.
    Would it not be a good time to start a root & branch review of our crazy parochial political system, the boys from Kerry, the political family dynasties where there is an absolute rhght to have the family name in Dail or chair of Council etc.
    We need to get people of integrity into politics for the future of our country, people who can cut-it and make the right decisions for the Country and not be thinking of their own little patch Galway or Offaly.

Would love to see this happen but it would be very, very difficult. You will have people who won’t want to give up their power. You’ll have voters and vested interests who won’t want such a change (“they’re taking the power away from local people and giving it to faceless, absentee officials up in Dublin. It’s not democracy”). In a country this small and with a political culture so ingrained, I don’t see it changing.

There is also an argument that we underpay our politicians. The argument goes that if you want the best people running your country, you pay top salaries which will also remove the temptation of corruption. Again, any move to pay the politicians more would be met with vitriol amongst the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Waiting on Hogan to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

FF down to 11% in the latest poll. Knives will be out for Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Sort of it seems as there is a lot of confusion for business.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-hotels-federation-was-awaiting-clarification-on-new-guidelines-at-time-of-golf-dinner-1.4336125%3fmode=amp

I think the whole thing with the speeches when the partitions were removed probably brought it over the line as not. But there were reports yesterday that they were strict about not having having tables inter-mingling and there was no drinking at the bar.

3 weeks ago it was all about trying to get the economy going again.

According to some reports in the papers today, trays of oysters were passed around before dinner. This was clearly against all the advice we were given from the start. These guys were so non chalant about all the precautions by which the rest of the country were abiding, that they deserve absolutely everything which is/will be thrown at them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FF down to 11% in the later poll. Knives will be out for Martin.

Presumably taken before the events of the last 48/72 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But there is no absolute right.

These people have to be elected, by you and I.

Political family dynasties exist because of each generation being exposed to polotics from an early age.
    In some households politics and current affairs are topics of everyday conversation, it others it is not, but in the households it is the children tend to be more politically aware as they grow up, vote regularly, get involved in local groups etc.

In the households of elected representatives, be they local or national, the children are highly exposed to polotics, and become engaged and involved themselves as they grow up, that's why we have dynasties.

Take Helen McEntee as the perfect example.
    Her father was a politician, she grew up watching him work, she spent years with him on campaigns etc
    She studied politics in college.
    When he died and she ran for the vacant seat the usual rabble on here were giving out about families etc etc, but she was a perfectly qualified individual to run for office.
    And she has proven herself a very capable politician since.

The Healy Rae's grew up in a family that was impressed in politics, it's no surprise that they would get involved themselves.

And the family does not always win.
    In 1994 Beverly Flynn can for the seat vacated by her father's move to the EU.

She lost to newcomer Michael Ring, who has been there ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Brian is saying that he is a private citizen now and is a private matter.

Apparently, he also said that when he saw the crowd present he did think he should have left! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Think you're right about the witch hunt re Hogan.

Proper order too. A cretin.

Hogan is just like P Flynn, both of them arrogant men in well paid jobs who probably see themselves as better than ordinary folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The IHF have denied they provided clearance for the golfing society event to go ahead
    https://twitter.com/IHFcomms/status/1297479422698819584?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement