Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

In fairness it wasn't the typical "sorry for the offence caused" non-apology, apology. He did acknowledge his failings, so for a political apology it was unusual.

Agreed it was carefully crafted and issued once he had time to consider the backlash and see if he could brazen it out. He had a chance before today to do it honestly and honourably.

I stick by my opinion, it's a PR consultant crafted exercise hitting all the expected hot spot points. Insincere ... and designed to answer the growing momentum for him to address his first car crash 'nothing to see here' statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Just in - the EU responding to RTE asking if Hogan will be resigning.
    "No".

It's a priceless story. MM and Leo ask him to go and HE gives our leaders the 2 fingers. The 3 of them look weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think you're being overly cynical here. Dara Calleary has had to resign as a minister and is likely finished as a politician. Good chance Hogan and Woulfe will suffer the same fate. To me that's a bigger deal than some slap on the wrist fine for breaching regulations. And don't forget we would never have even heard about this event if it wasn't for the dreaded 'mainstream media'.
    Calleary yes, the other two will get to retirement - with Hogan 60 and Woulfe 58. Hogan will also probably get a nice directorship or two when he's done in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a priceless story. MM and Leo ask him to go and HE gives our leaders the 2 fingers. The 3 of them look weak.

Did Eamon Ryan (y'know, the third leader of the Government) ever stick his head up on this one? Don't recall seeing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hogan doesn't look weak. He has the backing of the EU machine.

It's a different level altogether. Basically the EU and Hogan giving the 2 fingers to all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hogan doesn't look weak. He has the backing of the EU machine.

It's a different level altogether. Basically the EU and Hogan giving the 2 fingers to all of us.

Hogans stand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Did Eamon Ryan (y'know, the third leader of the Government) ever stick his head up on this one? Don't recall seeing anything.

Eamon is worse than any of the other cretins when it comes to trying to cling on to a position, he not only hasn't opened his mouth about this scandal that has made headlines all over the world he has instructed his 11 minions to keep their mouths shut too.

Not a gram of integrity between the dozen of them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

gifted wrote: »
    Not a hope will Hogan fall.....that man was dipped in Teflon when he was born....nothing sticks to him.....I don't think he's losing much sleep over this.

He's still holding on....Martin and varadkar looking like complete idiots now...been outplayed by hogan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Every minute Hogan hangs on it damages FFG in a huge way. Martin and Varadkar have made their stand on this and if Hogan doesn't go they are made look weak and incapable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Ryan is still asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Not a hope will Hogan fall.....that man was dipped in Teflon when he was born....nothing sticks to him.....I don't think he's losing much sleep over this.

Of course he's not losing sleep, you'd need morals for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

This is Ireland. There is no way the Gardaí will do anything except have a fake investigation to placate the plebs. The media will take their conclusions as gospel, fail to ask tough questions, and then bury the story.
    If, on the other hand, Sinn Féin were in power, I expect the Guards and media will spend every day harassing them.

Thats right. Its all about Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

They are weak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ryan is still asleep.

Last I heard he was seen in the convention centre and the lights have since been switched off and the place locked up.

Wonder has anyone checked if he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

It is high time that our government leaders make a broadcast to the nation and apologize unreservedly to the EU commissioner.

The EU commissioner did nothing wrong and he is being victimized because our legislators sent him an invitation to the event in Clifden without any regard for his health and safety

Putting pressure on public figures to attend functions just has to stop.

I know huge pressure is put on our public representatives to go to St Patricks days events all over the world - this pressure has to stop.

Down around my neck of the woods when an old person dies the priest is the first one rang and then the local TDS are rung to inquire when they would be available for the funeral and funeral arrangements are then made to suit the schedule of the TD

This pressure on public representatives had to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The two separate phone calls made to phil by leo and MM.

They have no authority to demand anything from him. Probably went along the lines of please issue an apology to keep the plebs quiet.

Also I can't see how the golf society trip would have been a secret or not known among others that it was happening. They are all related, married, friends, went to college together etc

Banana republic

Sorolla wrote: »
    It is high time that our government leaders make a broadcast to the nation and apologize unreservedly to the EU commissioner.

The EU commissioner did nothing wrong and he is being victimized because our legislators sent him an invitation to the event in Clifden without any regard for his health and safety

I know huge pressure is put on our public representatives to go to St Patricks days events all over the world - this pressure has to stop.

Down around my neck of the woods when an old person dies the priest is the first one rang and then the local TDS are rung to inquire when they would be available for the funeral and funeral arrangements are then made to suit the schedule of the TD

Which of the 'Station House 81' are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I say double down on the pressure. Put the collective boot on their necks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Just in - the EU responding to RTE asking if Hogan will be resigning.
    "No".

It was Mary Regan who spoke with his rep.
    https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1297505056640688129?s=19

He also felt he had nothing to apologise for, that changed too. Just saying.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The EU are afraid a precedent will be set allowing countries to swap and switch commissioners if he’s sacked. He’ll have to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

The EU commissioner was invited to an event organized by the Oireachtas Golf Society.

He was their guest.

Now this guest is being bullied by the leaders of a very incompetent government.

If this is the way our Oireachtas deals with invited guests - what kind of signal is this sending out to the rest of the world ?

This is end of the famous “cead míle failte”

The Taoiseach should fly to Brussels tonight and apologize to the Commissioner on behalf of the people of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

The EU commissioner was invited to an event organized by the Oireachtas Golf Society.

He was their guest.

Now this guest is being bullied by the leaders of a very incompetent government.

If this is the way our Oireachtas deals with invited guests - what kind of signal is this sending out to the rest of the world ?

The Taoiseach should fly to Brussels tonight and apologize to the Commissioner on behalf of the people of Ireland

Would that qualify as essential travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He was their guest.

Not since the English massacred stranded sailors from the Armada and the locals sheltering them has ancient and noble Connaught seen such a grevious assault on hospitality, human warmth and decency as the current attacks on Phil Hogan.

If you want to pile it on, do it right job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You're making it a bit too obvious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Only other way out of this for Hogan is to step back from his post pending the garda investigation......obviously the gardai will find no wrong doing on any of the 81 people in attendance ......because those people are people of influence.... and Hogan will be back in his position...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

He was their guest.

:D:D:D
    He should put in for the the extra expenses incurred ... oh sorry, someone's on that already.

WUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

He was their guest.

Oh shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Only other way out of this for Hogan is to step back from his post pending the garda investigation......obviously the gardai will find no wrong doing on any of the 81 people in attendance ......because those people are people of influence.... and Hogan will be back in his position...

Doubt you could muck around with a high-powered position like EU Trade Commissioner in that way?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Oh shut up.

Oh cheer up. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement