Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sorolla wrote: »
    It is high time that our government leaders make a broadcast to the nation and apologize unreservedly to the EU commissioner.

The EU commissioner did nothing wrong and he is being victimized because our legislators sent him an invitation to the event in Clifden without any regard for his health and safety

Putting pressure on public figures to attend functions just has to stop.

I know huge pressure is put on our public representatives to go to St Patricks days events all over the world - this pressure has to stop.

Down around my neck of the woods when an old person dies the priest is the first one rang and then the local TDS are rung to inquire when they would be available for the funeral and funeral arrangements are then made to suit the schedule of the TD

This pressure on public representatives had to stop

Is that you Paddygreen?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Doubt you could muck around with a high-powered position like EU Trade Commissioner in that way?:confused:

I think its very entertaining, Irish politics at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Doubt you could muck around with a high-powered position like EU Trade Commissioner in that way?:confused:

Pretty appropriate that muck and commissioner are in the same sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Leo losing the plot...next thing he'll be blaming SF for inventing golf

Based on what? Was it because of the yellow tie with red dots he wore for today’s radio interview or something he said or did or did not do two and a half weeks ago. Please put some flesh on your assertion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

It is high time that our government leaders make a broadcast to the nation and apologize unreservedly to the EU commissioner.

The EU commissioner did nothing wrong and he is being victimized because our legislators sent him an invitation to the event in Clifden without any regard for his health and safety

I know huge pressure is put on our public representatives to go to St Patricks days events all over the world - this pressure has to stop.

Down around my neck of the woods when an old person dies the priest is the first one rang and then the local TDS are rung to inquire when they would be available for the funeral and funeral arrangements are then made to suit the schedule of the TD

Another fine try Sorolla

• Advertisement

The EU commissioner was invited to an event organized by the Oireachtas Golf Society.

He was their guest.

Now this guest is being bullied by the leaders of a very incompetent government.

If this is the way our Oireachtas deals with invited guests - what kind of signal is this sending out to the rest of the world ?

This is end of the famous “cead míle failte”

The Taoiseach should fly to Brussels tonight and apologize to the Commissioner on behalf of the people of Ireland

Keep her lit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Danzy wrote: »
    Not since the English massacred stranded sailors from the Armada and the locals sheltering them has ancient and noble Connaught seen such a grevious assault on hospitality, human warmth and decency as the current attacks on Phil Hogan.

If you want to pile it on, do it right job.

I seem to recall the natives did a share of rounding up, thieving and massacring themselves.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Agree, but we are in a very precarious position in relation to trade with the UK.

A Trade Commissioner from Estonia handling Brexit talks would not be in our favour. I get that Hogan's allegiance is first and for most to the European Union but he will have that small bit of bias within that could be crucial.

It's not a stance I like to have to take.

So if Hogan is replaced by a commissioner from another country , The typical Irish person would not have a problem with that BECAUSE she/ he would be representing 100% the EU and would not be trying to covertly get the best possible decisions made in favor of their own country

PULL THE OTHER ONE

Field east wrote: »
    So if Hogan is replaced by a commissioner from another country , The typical Irish person would not have a problem with that BECAUSE she/ he would be representing 100% the EU and would not be trying to covertly get the best possible decisions made in favor of their own country

PULL THE OTHER ONE

Do you think it's the Commissioner that's developing the proposals and making the decisions in these trade negotiations?

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Do you think it's the Commissioner that's developing the proposals and making the decisions in these trade negotiations?

Officially yes but unofficially I suspect it’s his office window cleaners mainly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The EU commissioner was invited to an event organized by the Oireachtas Golf Society.

He was their guest.

Now this guest is being bullied by the leaders of a very incompetent government.

If this is the way our Oireachtas deals with invited guests - what kind of signal is this sending out to the rest of the world ?

This is end of the famous “cead míle failte”

The Taoiseach should fly to Brussels tonight and apologize to the Commissioner on behalf of the people of Ireland
    #

Why would the people of ireland apologize for the idiot Oireachtas golf society? you can leave that one out.

I assume he is a member and was not invited, if he is not a member the Oireachtas needs to clatify how this thing set-up.
    All of the people at this event are high powered people and should have known better, to say they were invited is rubbish.
    The people of Ireland need to be apologised to not the EU or Phil.
    We need to have an election asap, we must be the laughing stock of the EU Comission and politics all about credilibity.
    I be surprised if the EU people know or care what we do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

You get points for pure effort and devotion to the cause but need to work on delivery.

3/10

Field east wrote: »
    Officially yes but unofficially I suspect it’s his office window cleaners mainly

It's not the window cleaners either, try again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Troglodytes and Trolls live in caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Will the leaders of the government call upon the Morroccan Ambassador to resign?

Like the EU commissioner he was also a guest at the event in Clifden?

I betcha they won’t.

I emailed her on Friday asking if she had an opinion on the matter. I don’t think I am the only one either. To date I haven’t received an acknowledgement of my email or response to it.

We’re not stupid.
    I think it is easy to target the vulnerable.
    I don’t think it is fair.
    It’s a huge issue.

I was on the Luas up above in Dublin and most people over the age of 55 were not wearing masks.

You see the mixed messages floating around

We have good heads on our shoulders and we are not flouting the rules.

Those lads up in Dublin are not doing the social distancing

Let’s pull like a dog and stay in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Will the leaders of the government call upon the Morroccan Ambassador to resign?

I betcha they won’t.

Have a think for a moment before you post in this thread again why they won't

I betcha they won’t.

The Rabatans are revolting, it's all over social media over there, not allowed to resign on a Sunday obviously but hard to see him surviving tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I emailed her on Friday asking if she had an opinion on the matter. I don’t think I am the only one either. To date I haven’t received an acknowledgement of my email or response to it.
    She didnt reply!! OMG. She will have to go as well. Did you ring Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The FFG fan boys have a new tactic to try on us.

Tell people this is a non-event that is only getting airtime because it is a slow news day. 'Nothing to see hear people, move along. Just ignore it please'
    They are really getting desperate now :D

They all seem to come up with these new tactics at the exact same time. Well organised if nothing else.
    They seem to work in shifts too.

Seeing lots of tactics at play.bumping SF threads and white noise deflection posts. Hyping random other news. It's hilarious.

Edgware wrote: »
    She didnt reply!! OMG. She will have to go as well. Did you ring Joe?

I wasn’t expecting an instant reply. It was Friday when I sent it. Easier to make a post with all the details than have someone ask me”what did she say”. Don’t you think?

I think you got your knickers in a twist in your response rather than I had my knickers in a twist letting people know I haven’t had a response “to date” yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Another fine try Sorolla
    He/she is no Miles na gCopaleen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Varadkar needs to come on the telly again and make one of them state of the nation addresses.

He can start with all the sacrifices we have made and how we all need to stick together, except for Big Phil. Normal pious stuff with a few wartime qoutes.

Should work a treat.

Afterwards him and Harris can issue their synchronized tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Rabatans are revolting, it's all over social media over there, not allowed to resign on a Sunday obviously but hard to see him surviving tomorrow.

Hes allright im sure Bona is batting for him

It's not the window cleaners either, try again

I’ll tryCute Hoors as a third try. Please do’nt leave me in the dark here. Help me out . Over and out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Come on Ursula, do us a turn :D

You can have your pick of the Irish Political elite* to replace him.

(* May not be a big selection)

If this government is not careful Ireland will lose a very important commissioner.

As I mentioned in a previous post it is of upmost importance that the leaders of the government apologize to the Commissioner immediately either in person in Brussels or by way of a Special Broadcast on RTÉ

The apology should read as follows:

The Press, Radio and Television coverage of events so far have been very unfair and we are so sorry.

You were the guest and now we are pressing you to resign.

We are so sorry.

We are very proud that the commission has such a very distinguished and worthy representative at this great Council and we know that your work in Brussels will shed further lustre on the great achievements of your good self for the EU and Éire.

Once again we are sorry and ask for you forgiveness.

If this doesn’t do the trick then maybe we can get the Pope to intervene on our behalf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The apology should read as follows:

Whatever it is you're drinking or smoking ..can I haz some please? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement