Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

He is not even a TD what can they do? Perhaps expell him from the party as a symbolic gesture?

Hopefully the gardai find something to charge him with. I would expect points and a fine for mobile phone usage while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

The amount of fake shock and angry around this topic is embarrassing. Talk about jumping on he band wagon.

When these situations arise why is the only 'acceptable' outcome immediate resignation.
    Playing golf is allowed. no issue here
    Having the reception is allowed once the guidelines are followed - I don;t think they were but wasn't in the room to see what distancing was implemented
    Prize giving could have taken place but no handing out prizes - put them in the post of collect else where.

Anybody that is calling for heads need to look at their own approach to covid - have they gone to a pub or restaurant that wasn't 100% abiding by the rules - if they have did they leave immediately or stay ?

I am not saying what happened was right but the fake outrage is worse in my mind - screams of this horrible cancel culture that is fast embedding itself in modern society which is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

What new elements will today bring?

This story and its aftermath is not going away from the headlines anytime soon. As they say in horse racing 'It's stay longer than the mother in law'.

Seriously though, if there were an election sooner than we all thought, would Dara Calleary lose his seat even? I'm not in Mayo, so can't gauge the local mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

The amount of fake shock and angry around this topic is embarrassing. Talk about jumping on he band wagon.

When these situations arise why is the only 'acceptable' outcome immediate resignation.
    Playing golf is allowed. no issue here
    Having the reception is allowed once the guidelines are followed - I don;t think they were but wasn't in the room to see what distancing was implemented
    Prize giving could have taken place but no handing out prizes - put them in the post of collect else where.

Anybody that is calling for heads need to look at their own approach to covid - have they gone to a pub or restaurant that wasn't 100% abiding by the rules - if they have did they leave immediately or stay ?

I am not saying what happened was right but the fake outrage is worse in my mind - screams of this horrible cancel culture that is fast embedding itself in modern society which is scary.

Comments like above put a whole new meaning on 'We're all in this together'. It is not 'fake outrage'.

We are a relatively small country. We are very sociable. A lot of us know someone who got Covid and passed away, or who was even hospitalised. There is a lot of anger out there about this. It is clearly evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0824/1160880-phil-hogan/
    Housing Minister calls for Hogan to resign
    Minister O'Brien said Mr Phil Hogan has been a good commissioner and well-respected in Europe "but to pin all our hopes on one individual is simplistic".

He said Michel Barnier has led Brexit negotiations on behalf on the EU and it has also been a whole of government approach with Simon Coveney also heavily involved.

Mr O'Brien said Ireland's strategy around Brexit is not pinned on one individual.

Oh dear. FG are going for it. Very interesting rhetoric too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think it was 100 prior to the changes, so that would have easily allowed for the 82 attendees and staff.

I don't know who came up with the seating arrangements, if it was the attendees themselves buying a table for 6 / 8 / 10 or the hotel, and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone but the individuals themselves to know where people were travelling from.

No.
    It was 50 incl staff before the change. Had been since July, officially extended on 4th August.
    Following advice from the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) and a discussion by Cabinet this afternoon, the current limits will remain in place for at least three more weeks.

As per the government reopening roadmap, gatherings of just 50 people are allowed indoors and 200 people are allowed outdoors.

These limits were scheduled to increase on 20 July but the government put this change back until 10 August.

It’s now been confirmed that these restrictions are to be extended again, with Taoiseach Micheál Martin saying this evening that a “cautious approach” must be taken.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-sport-wedding-5167638-Aug2020/.

When the event took place the limit was 6 (excluding weddings)
    Due to a rise in cases of COVID-19, the following measures were announced on 18 August 2020 and will be in place until 13 September 2020:

Social visits to homes, both indoors and outdoors, should be limited to a maximum of 6 visitors from no more than 3 households
    Indoor gatherings and events are now limited to 6 people from no more than 3 households
    Outdoor gatherings and events are limited to 15 people
    Sporting events and matches can take place behind closed doors
    Restaurants and pubs that serve food have to close by 11.30pm and can have a maximum of 6 people at a table
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html#l148b3

They not only broke the new restrictions - they broke the old ones. And knew it. That was why the room was partially partitioned to pretend it was 2 separate events with less than 50 in attendance at each.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

somebody pointed out why would it be a Fine Galer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So Mickey seems to be saying if big Phil does an interview then all is good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Mickey seems to be saying if big Phil does an interview then all is good ?
    It’s seems this government can’t get a consistent on this issue. Between the Taoiseach and Tánaiste asking him to consider his position, we had the Tánaiste change it slightly yesterday and the housing minister saying he should go. Could they not go even the weekend without staying on message. It’s getting annoying now and has been an unfortunate constant of this government since it came in to office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Would like to see the member list of the entire golf society to know who in government knew about this event

We must not lose sight of the fact that golfing/ golf outings, from my understanding, was one of the outdoor activities that was very much recommended as a fairly safe activity re the Covid virus by most medical experts , the government and Bord Fáilte.
    So ,with a slight stretch of the imagination, one would assume that the orgainsers would have the necessary Covid related arrangements in place re social distancing, hand washing, etc in place AND THAT THERE WOULD BE NO NEED TO ENQUIRE into the arrangements made for the event.
    One could easily assume that there might be some arrangement made afterwards for the provision of tea/ soup /sandwiches afterwards but done in a way that was Covid copmpliant. There were plenty of presidents for the presentation of prizes done ‘ remotely’ - eg school carts presented in car parks etc.
    So there was really no reason for ANYONE - including MM - to suggest that the event should not have taken place. The same for the attendees - UP TO A CERTAIN POINT AND WHICH WAS LATE IN THE DAY.
    I speculate that the attendees were walked into an unintended ‘ trap ‘
    late in the day, when the event was coming to its climax and THAT DIVIDE WAS PULLED BACK. Only Brian Hayes came out re thinking about leaving at that point.
    Before you tear the above to shreds you might first have a listen to Dr Sam McGourty - Sunday Brendan o Connor show sheer he tries to rationalize the psychological side of what happened.
    We are all experts in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Comments like above put a whole new meaning on 'We're all in this together'. It is not 'fake outrage'.

We are a relatively small country. We are very sociable. A lot of us know someone who got Covid and passed away, or who was even hospitalised. There is a lot of anger out there about this. It is clearly evident.

Don't cod yourself - people are in this together in the sense that the majority of people are wearing mask (don't get me started on those absolute fools that protested at the weekend - gob****es every last one of them)
    but there are very few that are 100% acting as advised.

My main issues is cancel culture and the call for resignation as soon as any type of against the grain / controversy comes about. As a country this attitude is sending us in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

The golf tournament is not the issue.
    Dinnergate is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Field east wrote: »
    We must not lose sight of the fact that golfing/ golf outings, from my understanding, was one of the outdoor activities that was very much recommended as a fairly safe activity re the Covid virus by most medical experts , the government and Bord Fáilte.
    So ,with a slight stretch of the imagination, one would assume that the orgainsers would have the necessary Covid related arrangements in place re social distancing, hand washing, etc in place AND THAT THERE WOULD BE NO NEED TO ENQUIRE into the arrangements made for the event.
    One could easily assume that there might be some arrangement made afterwards for the provision of tea/ soup /sandwiches afterwards but done in a way that was Covid copmpliant. There were plenty of presidents for the presentation of prizes done ‘ remotely’ - eg school carts presented in car parks etc.
    So there was really no reason for ANYONE - including MM - to suggest that the event should not have taken place. The same for the attendees - UP TO A CERTAIN POINT AND WHICH WAS LATE IN THE DAY.
    I speculate that the attendees were walked into an unintended ‘ trap ‘
    late in the day, when the event was coming to its climax and THAT DIVIDE WAS PULLED BACK. Only Brian Hayes came out re thinking about leaving at that point.
    Before you tear the above to shreds you might first have a listen to Dr Sam McGourty - Sunday Brendan o Connor show sheer he tries to rationalize the psychological side of what happened.
    We are all experts in hindsight.

'walked into an unintended trap'.
    Comedy gold.

elperello wrote: »
    LV's point in the interview was that it is not the job of staff in his constituency office or civil servants in his Dail office to check up on events he is not attending.

It's not a bad point.

That's about all I can say about it unless some further information comes to light.

So what if MM , L V or anyone else who got an invite or knew about the event anyway and even intended going. They would have generally assumed that the hotel / event organizers would have behaved in a Covid compliant way. The problem arose VERY LATE TOWARDSTHE END.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So what if MM , L V or anyone else who got an invite or knew about the event anyway and even intended going. They would have generally assumed that the hotel / event organizers would have behaved in a Covid compliant way. The problem arose VERY LATE TOWARDSTHE END.

The regulations that prohibited the dinner from taking place were in place for weeks. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Enda Kenny played golf, expressed his unhappiness with dinner arrangement and went home for dinner.
    Can we please ask him to lead our country and get rid of the other eejits until we can organize an election.
    The fact that Kenny flagged it makes the whole thing worst in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

McMurphy wrote: »
    The regulations that prohibited the dinner from taking place were in place for weeks. Try again.

Who gives a ****. It isn't MM or LV's job to police events or watch over individual movements.

Enda Kenny played golf, expressed his unhappiness with dinner arrangement and went home for dinner.
    Can we please ask him to lead our country and get rid of the other eejits until we can organize an election.

Did Seán O Rourke leave the country the morning after and if so , then when is he due back. When with RTE he would - as would the rest- out anyone that would not come to the phone/studio to have a conversation on a relevant matter. Being an ex reporter he is in a unique position to give his objective take on the issue

'walked into an unintended trap'.
    Comedy gold.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

Did Seán O Rourke leave the country the morning after and if so , then when is he due back. When with RTE he would - as would the rest- out anyone that would not come to the phone/studio to have a conversation on a relevant matter. Being an ex reporter he is in a unique position to give his objective take on the issue

Given he was in attendance I doubt if his view would be objective.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    Who gives a ****. It isn't MM or LV's job to police events or watch over individual movements.

Weren't members of AGS and a supreme judge also in attendance?

Do you see where this is headed, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Indeed, you know you're in a bad place when Enda is

?s=fatherted&e=S02E09&i=S02E09-DdLCE3hC&t1=THE%20BRAINS%20OF%20THE%20OPERATION&t2=

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Given he was in attendance I doubt if his view would be objective.

Depends on what hat he chooses to wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

You know things are bad when Enda Kenny is the intelligent one in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

Opinion doesn't trump facts. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,465 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he is also a private citizen and not involved in drawing up and passing the legislation that was breached. the members of the government who were there should go. they knew (or should have known) what the regulations for mass gatherings was. they should be intelligent to know that erecting a partition just doesn't cut it. so they either knew they were in breach of the regulations and stayed anyway or they were too thick to realise they were breaching the regulations. either way they should go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's incredible I agree. Seems standards have absolutely taken a nosedive in the past month even.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Weren't members of AGS and a supreme judge also in attendance?

Do you see where this is headed, yeah?

So what?

Uriel. wrote: »
    So what?

You were yakking on about whose jobs it was to police things..... What does AGS do, I'm pretty sure they weren't in attendance to perform balloon modelling pre dinner.

• Advertisement

Depends on what hat he chooses to wear

No.
    He chose to attend an event that was in contravention of public health restrictions.
    No matter what hat he wears he cannot be considered objective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement