Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas 2020 purchases

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The snowflakes are the cutest such a bargain
    Slime Princess thats a very wise 4 year old, a vote from me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

SarahLil wrote: »
    Bought a book for the baby in my belly and to read it to them when they arrive
    its meant to be very good (the boy the mole the fox and the horse by charlie mackesy)

If you're looking for a nice book or even a set, these are fab https://www.adamscloud.com
    They have 20% off sets, code 20HUGS.

Very sad story behind how they came to be written but a lovely legacy! They're actually a lovely gift for new babies or young kids.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

4 year old however is absolutely insisting we do not take the tree down now because its Christmas and we just *HAVE* to decorate it tomorrow.
    Happy decorating! :pac: :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I know buy local and all that but since lockdown Amazon has gone into overdrive.

We ordered 6 items off Amazon Thursday night, arrived today.

Whereas I’m Still waiting a week and a half for a homestore and more deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

I ordered that coffee/hot chocolate set off Amazon and it still hasn't arrived so I got a refund this morning.
    Checked tracking there and it's now showing as with An Post...what do I do now...think of it as a nice Christmas present for all the shopping I've done with them this year...?
    I hate when things like that happen.

jellybear wrote: »
    If you're looking for a nice book or even a set, these are fab https://www.adamscloud.com
    They have 20% off sets, code HUGS20.

Very sad story behind how they came to be written but a lovely legacy! They're actually a lovely gift for new babies or young kids.

Thanks Jellybear another one to add to the list thanks, I think I know the story behind this book, I will definitely add it to my list

I have just ordered a good bulk of my OH present, hopefully he's happy with it, I got a discount too so with the discount I got him a Christmas jumper from the club he supports, I just have one or two things left for him now

Got my mam part of her present too, the remainder of hers will be from a local jewellers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jellybear wrote: »
    I ordered that coffee/hot chocolate set off Amazon and it still hasn't arrived so I got a refund this morning.
    Checked tracking there and it's now showing as with An Post...what do I do now...think of it as a nice Christmas present for all the shopping I've done with them this year...?
    I hate when things like that happen.

From experience. Amazon will never look for this for it back. They’re too embarrassed to ask for it back as it’s usually poor delivery times that resulted in the refund. They mark it off as a loss.

I've just ordered our packs of Christmas cards, in aid of 2 charities that mean a lot to us, and also a little booklet of Christmas stamps as we plan on popping the local cards into letter boxes as we pass (within our 5km).

Amazon won't look for the money back, I've had it happen where something was delivered to me from Amazon that I didn't order and they said I could keep it or donate it to charity. It happened to be suitable for a loved one so they got a nice surprise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I need to hide my cards.... I’m off now for 6 weeks post op recuperating after surgery....day 5 and I’ve done way too much shopping....including personal Santa letters and certificates and a different Santa experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Where are good places to shop online for Christmas jumpers?

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Where are good places to shop online for Christmas jumpers?

I’ve used these guys before. Very good service.

https://www.funkychristmasjumpers.ie/?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJjaHJpc29sb3VnaGxpbkBnbWFpbC5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJlTEszR2QifQ%3D%3D

Loughc wrote: »
    I know buy local and all that but since lockdown Amazon has gone into overdrive.

We ordered 6 items off Amazon Thursday night, arrived today.

Whereas I’m Still waiting a week and a half for a homestore and more deliveries.
    I've been waiting a week now for 2 Arnotts click and collect orders, I would have been quicker ordering from Amazon, but feck it, what's done is done.
    I wouldn't mind much, but one of the orders is to be sent to a friend who is abroad and I want it in the postal system asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Posy wrote: »
    I've been waiting a week now for 2 Arnotts click and collect orders, I would have been quicker ordering from Amazon, but feck it, what's done is done.
    I wouldn't mind much, but one of the orders is to be sent to a friend who is abroad and I want it in the postal system asap!

I ordered a tree skirt and some candle sets from Arnotts Warehouse sale. Ordered Wednesday night, tree skirt arrived Friday, should have candle sets tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For any Lidl fans out there.....they may have to postpone the launch date though given clothes are 'non-essential'

For some strange reason I like the Christmas jumper...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For any Lidl fans out there.....they may have to postpone the launch date though given clothes are 'non-essential'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Looking for Christmas stockings this year for the four of us. I’ve found a few potentials but wondering if anybody has found anything really nice

As I’m recuperating poor other half is having to do everything from kids to cleaning to cooking (I’m not allow bend stoop or walk much) so just bought him a craft beer Irish advent calendar to make sure he knows I appreciate him.

polydactyl wrote: »
    As I’m recuperating poor other half is having to do everything from kids to cleaning to cooking (I’m not allow bend stoop or walk much) so just bought him a craft beer Irish advent calendar to make sure he knows I appreciate him.

Brilliant treat for him, get well soon x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭bladespin

Where did you find it? BTW GWS.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Wow, ordered books on Friday evening from Amazon and just got a notification that they've been delivered! That is some turnaround!! Puts some of the local retailers to shame.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

What I will say for local small businesses. Keep an ear to the ground on what’s going well on Instagram.

So far last week I’ve bought from a online sweet shop, candle shop and a place that does BEAUTIFUL hand embroidered reindeers.

The candle place was so busy they opened a shop. The sweet shop started cause of someone losing their job from Covid now have 30k followers on Instagram and the reindeers are completely sold out online.

There are so very creative people who are using Covid as a chance to do something they love doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What I will say for local small businesses. Keep an ear to the ground on what’s going well on Instagram.

So far last week I’ve bought from a online sweet shop, candle shop and a place that does BEAUTIFUL hand embroidered reindeers.

The candle place was so busy they opened a shop. The sweet shop started cause of someone losing their job from Covid now have 30k followers on Instagram and the reindeers are completely sold out online.

There are so very creative people who are using Covid as a chance to do something they love doing.

Are you not allowed give their details here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Looking to pick up some matching family Christmas pyjamas this year (I know..:p) for us parents + kids + baby. Anyone see anything reasonably priced?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are you not allowed give their details here ?

Candle is Designer Soy Wax Melts on Instagram

Sweet shop is Sweet King Co.

Reindeers is Bestoke Embroidery and Printing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Looking to pick up some matching family Christmas pyjamas this year (I know..:p) for us parents + kids + baby. Anyone see anything reasonably priced?

OH got ours in Dunnes a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if they are still for sale now till December, maybe on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Bawnmore wrote: »

I saw lovely ones on the george/asda website. The oh (the grinch) has zero interest in matching pjs , so never followed up on it. The downside is delivery fees and takes about a week to process. The quality of their clothes is grand, I got the school uniforms from them as they were the cheapest and I didn't expect the schools to stay open. Also a few other bits, in and out of the tumble dryer no problems.

I think h&m also had some.

Penney's usually do them, depending on how brave you are in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp............:mad:

Its a minefield to stay up to date with what is happening locally with businesses and the various social media outlets they are using. Most if not all have neglected their basic web presence and have not updated them in years. If I google my local town and Christmas decorations I get nothing back. Thats when I head off to the results that google gives to me.

krissovo wrote: »
    Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp............:mad:

Its a minefield to stay up to date with what is happening locally with businesses and the various social media outlets they are using. Most if not all have neglected their basic web presence and have not updated them in years. If I google my local town and Christmas decorations I get nothing back. Thats when I head off to the results that google gives to me.

It’s quicker, easy and cheaper for local businesses to keep going on an Instagram account. I do agree they miss a lot of search engine trade.

But most of these guys have enough through Instagram DMs to keep them busy all year.

After getting himself another pressie
    Only 2 left for him now will hold put for special offers for aftershave

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you haven’t already, check out Craft shapes Ireland, they have the most beautiful stock, I’ve ordered quite a few bits off them and they are stunning. They are so busy they are closing their order book tonight to try catch up. Highly recommend them.

bladespin wrote: »
    Where did you find it? BTW GWS.

Thanks

There were two I looked at beercloud.ie And another one at Martins off-licence.ie

Hope he likes it.

Ordered my wrapping supplies from Dunnes, I am hoping my order does not get cancelled at a later date, as it already happened with a gift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Got Christmas jumpers for the twins

https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0696991067.html

Also got a couple of garlands from small business in kilkenny.

https://thesnugroom.ie/collections/christmas/products/red-berries-and-leaves-garland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

pc7 wrote: »
    If you haven’t already, check out Craft shapes Ireland, they have the most beautiful stock, I’ve ordered quite a few bits off them and they are stunning. They are so busy they are closing their order book tonight to try catch up. Highly recommend them.
    I got two lovely signs with personalisation and lights but they seem to be gone from the site now. But there are lots of nice bits, both finished and for DIY crafters on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

L'prof wrote: »
    Looking for Christmas stockings this year for the four of us. I’ve found a few potentials but wondering if anybody has found anything really nice

Just received an order from a company based in Clare. Wowwee.ie.
    Not my first order and very happy. I've sent a few as new born gifts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can i ask you if you were waiting long for delivery from wowee ? I ordered something 10 days ago and not a sign of it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

OMG! hahahaha. I love lidl but hahahahaha no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can i ask you if you were waiting long for delivery from wowee ? I ordered something 10 days ago and not a sign of it yet

Not at all. About 5 working days. Have you emailed them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Their name is apt anyway. As I was looking through their page of stockings I literally said wow!!!

• Advertisement

Their stockings are fab looking, alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

The tree is now decorated and the Christmas villages are perched on a high shelf away from grabby little baby paws. I'm going to hold off on doing the windows (Stickers, Spray and I always draw a snowflakes and pictures etc with washable markers) until later in the month. 4 year old is still not satisfied though, and wants the old tree (also a 7 footer) to be placed next to new tree (so it doesn't get lonely!) or to be in the kitchen!

On topic, bought some selection boxes and advent calendars. Milky Bar for the baby, and Galaxy for me, and Maltesers reindeer one for himself.

I'm making one for the 4 year old and picked up a nice fill yerself one for €3 from Tiger before lockdown this one. Going to get a few blind bags of current interest (PJ masks, Lego mini figs, minions etc), some chocolate coins and some mini bags of haribo to pop in. I'm not sure what else to put in though as I want to keep a little bit of variety and surprise. Thought maybe a little decoration for the tree or something might be good but drawing a blank beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not at all. About 5 working days. Have you emailed them?

Thank you I will do that today so .

PS .I mailed them and they said they are working day and night to get the personalised gifts ready and delivered . They are inundated with orders this year

The tree is now decorated and the Christmas villages are perched on a high shelf away from grabby little baby paws. I'm going to hold off on doing the windows (Stickers, Spray and I always draw a snowflakes and pictures etc with washable markers) until later in the month. 4 year old is still not satisfied though, and wants the old tree (also a 7 footer) to be placed next to new tree (so it doesn't get lonely!) or to be in the kitchen!

On topic, bought some selection boxes and advent calendars. Milky Bar for the baby, and Galaxy for me, and Maltesers reindeer one for himself.

I'm making one for the 4 year old and picked up a nice fill yerself one for €3 from Tiger before lockdown this one. Going to get a few blind bags of current interest (PJ masks, Lego mini figs, minions etc), some chocolate coins and some mini bags of haribo to pop in. I'm not sure what else to put in though as I want to keep a little bit of variety and surprise. Thought maybe a little decoration for the tree or something might be good but drawing a blank beyond that.

What about a hot chocolate stick, the stir in ones?

Posy wrote: »
    Their stockings are fab looking, alright!

Gorgeous aren't they
    Love the personalised family advent too

Don’t suppose anyone has sourced the Hot Choc Bombs? 6 year old desperate for one. I was planning to make myself if necessary but not sure I’ll be up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Don’t suppose anyone has sourced the Hot Choc Bombs? 6 year old desperate for one. I was planning to make myself if necessary but not sure I’ll be up to it

Holland and Barrett selling them for 2.99 with marshmallows in them too.
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/mummy-meagz-the-bursting-bauble-vegan-hot-chocolate-triple-60045425?skuid=045945

Great thanks :)

I heard about these on RTE radio this morning https://torcchocolates.ie/collections/christmas/products/torc-megga-hotchocolate-bomb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I've about 70% of my Christmas gifts bought now, all of them from local Irish shops. I've been browsing the Facebook page 'Shop in Ireland'. I never realised how many little businesses we have in this country. I hope they take this year as a lesson and increase their online presence.

I got glass Christmas baubles from the Irish Handmade Glass Co in Waterford. They are absolutely beautiful and really cheap for the quality.

I also got some handmade funny Christmas cards from an Irish Etsy seller called Pickled PomPom. They are a bit cheeky but I'm hoping they will make people laugh when they get them!

Advertisement