Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham Knights/Court of Owls (WB Montreal)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks a hell of a lot better than a certain Marvel game anyway ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks a hell of a lot better than a certain Marvel game anyway ;).

Bit early to be dismissing Miles Morales! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Bit early to be dismissing Miles Morales! :pac:

I meant the avengers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Batgirl is a bit too sexualised for my tastes.

Runs.

I meant the avengers :pac:

I know. :o I was trying to be funny.

Of course what I'd love to see now is somebody do the X-Men justice, in pog game form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    In the gameplay trailer with the developer commentary, he mentions Robin teleporting using the Justice League satellite.... I wonder if this will be set in the same universe as Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League? Maybe that's how Batman's dead! :pac:

The Suicide Squad game game is set in the arkham verse, 1-4 player co-op like avengers.

Yeah, and it'll be 2022 at the earliest with an apparent emphasis on gun play.

I see the biggest compliant on reddit is that this seems to have lost the free flow combat and is more akin to regular rpg action which i think is a bit harsh. I went back to Arkham Knight and finished the nightwing, robin and catwoman dlc's. Was grand but didn't get much out of playing it again.

Suicide squad trailer gave me no desire to replay arkham games but The Batman movie trailer makes me seriously want to play through arkham origins again as it's set in year 2. Trailer looks bloody brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Like I said in the Suicide Squad game, this looks like it's geared towards co-op. I get there's a lot of characters, but I prefer controlling 1. Not sure what to make of this tbh, and there's probably a good explanation (not actual bullets?!), but Red Hood is shooting everyone. I'm not sure on this. Will need more.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Batgirl is a bit too sexualised for my tastes.

Runs.

She has a Uni-Tit, so that's a step in the right direction?

Like I said in the Suicide Squad game, this looks like it's geared towards co-op. I get there's a lot of characters, but I prefer controlling 1. Not sure what to make of this tbh, and there's probably a good explanation (not actual bullets?!), but Red Hood is shooting everyone. I'm not sure on this. Will need more.

In the character bio on the website, it says after Jason reconciled with the Bat family, he came around to their non-lethal attacks so I'm guessing rubber bullets.

• Advertisement

So yeah, enemies drop loot that look like resources and Robin had a very different costume at one point so looking more like marvel avengers than i thought. The combat does look different than usual Arkham games. Still looks fun to me.

Yeah, I'll see where they go with it.

One thing it has in its favour (imo) over the Avengers is that it's an open(ish) world, whereas the Marvel game seems very... "narrow"? I won't say linear because I don't know how story progression etc works. But all the levels seem to be in enclosed spaces or narrow arenas.

I know both approaches have their pros and cons, and I certainly don't want pointless busy work to make the open world seem full. But I don't want to feel corralled or fenced in in Gotham.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about Avengers' level design!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm skeptical.

Firstly, it's odd that both WB Montreal and Rocksteady would both go for 4-character, kinda single-player but geared more for co-op type of games, set in the Batman/DC universe.

Secondly, I think you lose a lot by shaping it so it can be played co-op or choose from different characters. Story has to change to suit that you might be playing any of the characters or more than one player, enemy patterns and areas have to suit more than one player with different styles (eg. Robin being better at stealth, Red Hood more combat-focused etc), and they mentioned how bosses level up with you (eg. Mr.Freeze could be Level 5 or 15 when you fight him) indicating that it'll be pretty open-world, bunch of missions you can do in any order.

Also have to say, Batgirl's VO was awful in the gameplay video.

I'm skeptical anyway. It's not the next Arkham game, nor is it based on them. It seems very much it's own thing and could go either way. Might be a fun playthrough though.

It'll be interesting to see how Rocksteady's gameplay is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Was kinda hoping the next Batman game would be done more like Spiderman, storytelling between Bruce and Batman. In a gotham full of life, people actually walking the streets.. And not another eternal night setting in a city literally full of criminals and nothing else to constantly beat on very easily..

Its just more of the same and i got bored of that after the second game :(

I'm actually downloading Arkham Knight again. It's the only one I've only played through once and it's been that long that f*ck it, why not. Especially since neither new game is following on from it. Got the Season pass for all the DLC I never played too.

nix wrote: »
    Was kinda hoping the next Batman game would be done more like Spiderman, storytelling between Bruce and Batman. In a gotham full of life, people actually walking the streets.. And not another eternal night setting in a city literally full of criminals and nothing else to constantly beat on very easily..

Its just more of the same and i got bored of that after the second game :(

Even if they wanted to go with the Bat-Family, they could have done a game where you control each at different points, or where their stories intertwine with each other as they try investigate whatever big event is happening in the city. See events from their different perspectives mixed with their own individual sections and storylines until it all comes together at the end. Then after the story you can free-roam or do challenges or smaller side-missions as any of them. You could still put loot stuff in it as you'll eventually be playing as all the characters anyway so even if you picked up a piece of Robin equipment as Nightwing, you could still use it for Robin later in the story.

The online co-op way of doing things, I just think you lose a lot from a single-player experience that the Arkham games were always brilliant at. The combat and stealth is fundamentally changed if it's just piles of goons with numbers and health bars because the game has to tailor to each character's playstyle, abilities, and possible co-op.

Penn wrote: »
    I'm actually downloading Arkham Knight again. It's the only one I've only played through once and it's been that long that f*ck it, why not. Especially since neither new game is following on from it. Got the Season pass for all the DLC I never played too.

You'll basically get a great taste of Gotham Knights with Arkham Knights dlc, tons of stuff in that season pass.

I signed up for another free trial for ps now and starting Arkham Origins as that's the one i remember the least and closet to the The Batman film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might go back to Arkham Origins, the only thing I was missing for the platinum was the last few challenge rooms.

PS3 got stuck in a boot loop so I'd need to swap out the HDD and install fresh firmware and then pop old one back.

That or try PS now and see if saves work.

Varik wrote: »
    Might go back to Arkham Origins, the only thing I was missing for the platinum was the last few challenge rooms.

PS3 got stuck in a boot loop so I'd need to swap out the HDD and install fresh firmware and then pop old one back.

That or try PS now and see if saves work.

You got the multiplayer trophies? Was that mode any good? I didn't give it much chance but would love if they reopened the servers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    You got the multiplayer trophies? Was that mode any good? I didn't give it much chance but would love if they reopened the servers for it.

You'd have 5 minutes of a good game and then either half the team would be kicked or you wouldn't even get that as they'd get kicked when joining in at the start, and there was no refilling players or joining live games.

Even when the game was new the matchmaking would stick you in a 1 v 1 game where you'd just take turns as the hero whaling on each other until someone quit: normal game was 6 goons vs 2 heroes.

One of the trophies required a full lobby and it to stay that way for the full game which was next to impossible, and then you'd have something equally hard to do.

I got the trophies and never went back to it, and a working version in this new game would be great. I don't think I've ever played a more broken mp game.

• Advertisement

Is the last batman game worth playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Is the last batman game worth playing ?

Arkham Knight?

Yes! I find it brilliant and quite emotive tbh

MOR316 wrote: »

Arkham Knight?

Yes! I find it brilliant and quite emotive tbh

That's the one ya, I have it from ps plus, loads of people dislike it?

That's the one ya, I have it from ps plus, loads of people dislike it?

Only complaints I ever heard about it were there were too many Riddler Trophies, The Batmobile tank battles and the identity of the Arkham Knight.

In the grand scheme of things, not exactly major issues

It's a great game, but the Batmobile is pretty awful. It's also shoehorned into a lot of the game it doesn't really need to be in terms of needing it to solve puzzles or open new areas.

But, the Batman bits which obviously makes up the vast majority of the game, is all excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

MOR316 wrote: »
    Only complaints I ever heard about it were there were too many Riddler Trophies, The Batmobile tank battles and the identity of the Arkham Knight.

In the grand scheme of things, not exactly major issues

I always found that a weird complaint, to me that was a red herring cos they were hiding something else that was much cooler. That was a genuinely brilliant surprise.

Said I'd chance Arkham Origins multiplayer and got an error code but it booted me to the multiplayer menu. Tried quick game and put me into a lobby with 3 other players. I think it was waiting for more to join before starting but I had to head off. Had a look at the trophies to see if it's worth waiting and getting games and it's absolutely not, way too many. Origins has also shown its age or the PS Now stream isn't the best.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Said I'd chance Arkham Origins multiplayer and got an error code but it booted me to the multiplayer menu. Tried quick game and put me into a lobby with 3 other players. I think it was waiting for more to join before starting but I had to head off. Had a look at the trophies to see if it's worth waiting and getting games and it's absolutely not, way too many. Origins has also shown its age or the PS Now stream isn't the best.

Watched a video retrospective of the Arkham series this morning and the Origins footage definitely looked the worst. Admittedly the creator said he was using Return to Arkham footage for Asylum and City so they looked more akin to Knight, but it just made the Origins footage look far worse in comparison.

Markitron wrote: »
    I always found that a weird complaint, to me that was a red herring cos they were hiding something else that was much cooler. That was a genuinely brilliant surprise.

I hear ya.

Re the AK, who else could it have been? Was obvious from the moment the trailer was released.

God, I love the Arkham games

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Watched a video retrospective of the Arkham series this morning and the Origins footage definitely looked the worst. Admittedly the creator said he was using Return to Arkham footage for Asylum and City so they looked more akin to Knight, but it just made the Origins footage look far worse in comparison.

Which is odd as it looked the best until AK came out

Advertisement