Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

unemployed for nearly 10 months

• 21-08-2020 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I moved home after living abroad for a few years. I decided I want to change my job role but still staying in the same industry. I'm starting to panic because I now have a huge gap between jobs and I'm coming up to ten months. I started doing an online course probably 48 hours of material but it took me a few months to get through because there is quite a lot to take in.

I decided I'd wait until I finish my course and portfolio of work until I apply for jobs which was the stupidest thing to do. I only started applying for jobs about 2 months ago.

Between all the course work, my portfolio and a lot of procrastination in between I have now deemed myself as unemployable. I'm finding it so hard to sleep at night and the more time goes on the more anxious I get. Any jobs I apply for I don't get many responses or if I do it's a rejection. I'm embarrassed at this point to call recruiters.

I feel really naive to think it would be easy to get a job in my new field but the reality is starting to hit me. Any time someone asks me about my job situation or I crumble and get so embarrassed.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this? Anyone in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think it depends on the industry which you haven’t mentioned. However, I wish you the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I think your age might also be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

If you’re comfortable doing so, maybe post what your industry and specific old and new fields are - you might get people reading who have specific knowledge. It’s a bit vague to try replying without any real info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 freakingout90

qwerty13 wrote: »
    If you’re comfortable doing so, maybe post what your industry and specific old and new fields are - you might get people reading who have specific knowledge. It’s a bit vague to try replying without any real info.

I'm in my early 30s and in the tech industry. Hope that helps. Bit worried of giving too much info away

Totally understandable. Just that your original post could’ve been relating to anything!

I’m in tech, well sort of. My particular industry is doing ok at the moment, although recruiting has definitely slowed.

I guess it’s a question of where the jobs are right now: are people re-trenching into maintenance, or are they funding new/emerging/different technologies. And where do your skills lie in relation to that

• Advertisement

You might find that you have to revert to your old type of job in order to ride out the inevitable upcoming recession. But that’s not a bad thing on your cv by any means.

From a personal point of view, not ideal, but the way things are right now I think we all might have to roll with solutions rather than preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

What technologies do you work with?

I'm in tech to, and the markets has really sated to pick up with job adverts again in the last few months. Do you a good CV, apply to a few jobs and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Between all the course work, my portfolio and a lot of procrastination in between I have now deemed myself as unemployable.

I'm confused as to why you now think you are unemployable OP, if the course work is relevant to your field how can it be damaging. Or are you thinking gaps in your CV are damaging? I've never understood this logic and it's certainly not something thats impacted me. I took a year off to travel at 30. Yes it took me a little longer then expected to get work when I returned but it was because I was off everyone's radar and had to do some work to get noticed again but the gap on the CV wasn't an issue. Similar I had several months gap when my dad got sick and died. Life happens and people take breaks from work so I wouldn't be stressing about gaps.

If your changing areas within the same field I've found it can take time to make that transition. I work in games and it happens a lot here where people want to move from one area to another. What often happens is recruiters either don't see you are moving to another area when looking at CVs as they assume you want work in the other area or don't think you've the experience for the new area etc Contact people working in the area you want to work in and get advice on how your CV/cover letter/portfolio look and what you can work on to make sure its noticed. Sometimes its as simple as changing some wording on the CV, get the right buzz words in there that people are looking for for that area. You can't afford to be embarrassed OP if this is something you really want then you need to work for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My advice as to ask for career/jobs advice on specific discussion boards that deal with that technology/stack. Some areas are in demand, others are not. For example, system engineers have a pick of jobs due to their being less competition. Front end development is full of beginners so naturally there is more competition for junior/entry level roles. Here, doing internships are almost mandatory. So it really depends. Anyway, get out and about, get exercise, and stay mentally well. Changing career is never easy and tech is not a straight tracked career like medicine or law. If you want something with a straight line then maybe swap into one of these other careers instead. In fact, they are arguably easier than tech.
    Good luck!

Advertisement