Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snap election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

touts wrote: »
    Election yes. And this golfgate fiasco could well be the final straw that brings that about.

Border poll? **** all chance. Only a vocal minority want it and more importantly true Republicans don't because they know it wont pass at the moment. That sort of a vote is a once in a generation vote and they won't blow it to keep a few yellow pack Republicans happy.

The sovereignty and unity of the 32-County Irish Republic are inalienable and non-judicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The last single party majority government was from 1977-81. The general consensus was at the time, and is now, that it was a pretty dismal government.

The last single party minority government was 1987-89.

All governments since then have been multi-party. Over this period poor old coalition-ridden Ireland has experienced substantially more social progress and economic growth than the UK, with its solid tradition of single party governments that get a majority of seats despite being rejected by a majority of voters.

Coincidence? I think not! :)

If the UK reduced their corporation tax to that of Ireland's, we're screwed. Ireland got heaps of EU funding that Scotland and Wales did not get, and that's noting to do with PR, obvs.

There is no way you can say that 'social progress' is better in Ireland that it is in the UK. They didn't need a referendum to introduce gay marriage, and we were well behind for decades and longer in that regard. Abortion etc.

The correlations you make to PR and the state of our country in terms of it's social progress over the last decade, is weaker than the my cup of decaff tea I'm currently drinking.

What you are in fact saying is that coalition governments are better than not. That is like saying that women prime ministers are better at dealing with Covid than male led countries. Utter nonsense. As if the country should have a coalition government in their best interest. Vote for people you don't agree just cuz coalition government is better.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not really, no. The UK got a Tory government, despite the fact that a clear majority - 56% - voted not to have a Tory government. How is that the UK getting what it wants?

Your post is too long winded to go though it all. I don't have the time.

I'll just say this, what you don't vote for should never carry as much weight as those/what you do vote for. Who you didn't vote for is irrelevant.

56% of the UK electorate did not vote for the Conservatives, but something like 70% did not vote for Labour, and something like 90% did not vote for the Lib dems, in fact their leader didn't ever get elected.

But in a PR system Labour and the Lib dems get some representation. That's just absurd.

So, no matter what way you look at it the Conservatives has better stats all round, and they deserve to be in power. Whether they are great or terrible is irrelevant. They are not going to be great or terrible simply based on the voting percentage that put them in power.

edit: To bring this back on topic, cuz this isn't the UK hate thread, that's in the politics forum, we haven't had a government for weeks after the election, and now that we have one, it's been a shambles thus far. And that is because, we have a PR system, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Risteard81 wrote: »
    The sovereignty and unity of the 32-County Irish Republic are inalienable and non-judicable.

Not according to the law of the land kiddo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

As bad as it sounds: an election while the grey vote is largely locked down would be probably the best thing could happen here. Would kill off FF altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

With the health situation on the planet and in the country, the uncertainty surrounding it, taking back the north is the last of our wants and desires right now... imagine the immense financial and logistical burden of running an election and everything else. That simply cannot be done by people sitting in their front room with a tablet or laptop.

Batshît crazy idea. Plus any fence sitters will choose to remain with the UK. Better the devil you know with everything going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Irishman80 wrote: »
    Border poll?

Best of luck finding the annual 10-20 billion euro the North will need while their economy adjusts, if it ever will.

And that's assuming it will be a peaceful reunification.

Nationalists will become unionists and unionists will become nationalists.

Best case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

AllForIt wrote: »
    If the UK reduced their corporation tax to that of Ireland's, we're screwed. Ireland got heaps of EU funding that Scotland and Wales did not get, and that's noting to do with PR, obvs.

There is no way you can say that 'social progress' is better in Ireland that it is in the UK. They didn't need a referendum to introduce gay marriage, and we were well behind for decades and longer in that regard. Abortion etc.

The correlations you make to PR and the state of our country in terms of it's social progress over the last decade, is weaker than the my cup of decaff tea I'm currently drinking.

What you are in fact saying is that coalition governments are better than not. That is like saying that women prime ministers are better at dealing with Covid than male led countries. Utter nonsense. As if the country should have a coalition government in their best interest. Vote for people you don't agree just cuz coalition government is better.. :rolleyes:

Pretty much all of Wales and lots of Northern Scotland were recipients of EU structural funds even when Ireland became a net donor to the EU pot.

Wales in particular is not a very wealthy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

No Chance of an election this year and the odds for next year have lengthened too.

More chance of pigs flying than a successful border poll. No one I know would vote for the north to become part of the south

If you have some fuzzy feelings or bow to whatever SF suggest, I would urge you to spend a couple of weeks in the north and you will see a different version of what is painted.

It will take another generation to make it work. 2040 would be a optimistic target

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yurt! wrote: »
    Pretty much all of Wales and lots of Northern Scotland were recipients of EU structural funds even when Ireland became a net donor to the EU pot.

Wales in particular is not a very wealthy place.
    This. Structural funding is not doled out according to how wealthy or poor a country is; it's assessed regionally. The UK's poorer regions - and there are many of them - were not prejudiced in the allocation of structural funding by being part of a relatively wealthy country. I don't have the figures, but I expect many of them to have enjoyed higher per capita structural funding than Ireland did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

dere34 wrote: »
    I thought that the country needed change from FG and I had hope that FF had turned things around and could deliver. I thought MM deserved a crack of the whip. I am so disappointed. We need a new election ASAP and after that we need a border poll.

No we don’t on both counts

markodaly wrote: »
    Oh christ, an election .... and then a border poll.

Are you insane?

Take a stab at which party they support

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

An election, now! I think not, that would be rather stupid, and would the outcome be much different, I some how doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

We cant have an election, even from a safety point of view.
    I have no doubt SF would sail to victory if one was called in the morning but i cant imagine they would want to be in power over the current political and financial landscape we are facing.

The main issue with the current government is leadership or lack there of, MM commands no respect among his deputys. He either has to crack the whip or FF should replace him.

FF, FG and Greens are married together for the next couple of years so they should get on with it, drop the stunts and point scoring and do what is best for the country. Yes all the restrictions are a pain in the behind but they are just following the medical advice to hand.

Westminster would subsidise it for an agreed period of time. They've wanted rid of it for decades.

Westminster have no money, just the same as everyone else. If we take on the north don’t think they will give us f**k all

First off he would need to fire about 25% of the public sector workers so mass unemployment. Then loads of construction company, parcel companies etc would close overnight, more unemployment

It would be a clusterf**k and then with all that tension going on, our lovely little racist catholic would go after other communities and then the bombs would start, first in north and then in a town near you.

From a republic point of view every worker would need to start paying more tax to pay for it, social welfare would have to be cut etc to try pay for it so eveyone in republic wouldn’t want it and realise the politician sold us a disaster....

We end up with more SF politician who can’t go to toilet on their own and who can forget we would have the DUP....

Yes what we need in the middle of this disaster is wasting millions on a border poll to take over a country we can’t afford and 50% of the population doesn’t want to know about it

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Westminster have no money, just the same as everyone else. If we take on the north don’t think they will give us f**k all

The uk has easier access to money on tap than ourselves, via its central bank, and since central banks can never run out of money......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

dere34 wrote: »
    I thought that the country needed change from FG and I had hope that FF had turned things around and could deliver. I thought MM deserved a crack of the whip. I am so disappointed. We need a new election ASAP and after that we need a border poll.

Personally i think we a national Government for coming Months as election.
    Both Leo and MM have shown in recent days they are not up to run the country.
    Picking a Taoiseach from what we have be a difficult job.
    On the long term we need to have a serious look about how we do politics and accountability of elected reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Shefwedfan wrote: »

First off he would need to fire about 25% of the public sector workers so mass unemployment. Then loads of construction company, parcel companies etc would close overnight, more unemployment

It would be a clusterf**k and then with all that tension going on, our lovely little racist catholic would go after other communities and then the bombs would start, first in north and then in a town near you.

From a republic point of view every worker would need to start paying more tax to pay for it, social welfare would have to be cut etc to try pay for it so eveyone in republic wouldn’t want it and realise the politician sold us a disaster....

We end up with more SF politician who can’t go to toilet on their own and who can forget we would have the DUP....

Yes what we need in the middle of this disaster is wasting millions on a border poll to take over a country we can’t afford and 50% of the population doesn’t want to know about it

You're forgetting the North's share of the U.K. national debt...

And Brexit is cutting off another source of ££ to the uk.

You're forgetting the North's share of the U.K. national debt...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's absolutely no doubting Leo played a blinder here. Handle the crisis, shut everything down (easier than drip feed measures), throw as much supports as is possible (low interest borrowing). Let the dust settle, just a little and just as the nation wakes up to the horrendous financial mess its in, the Health service (all non covid) is at a complete stop & just as Real tough decisions have to be made, past the Baton to a hapless Michael Martin who's only apparent motivation for taking up such a poisoned chalice was being Taoiseach, even if only for a few months.

It's all played out quite well for Leo until of course his and other FG TD'S rather stupid comments, DISGRACEFUL & Sneaky undermining of NPHET by FG TD'S & now his party caught up in Golfgate. Very telling the normally Media friendly Leo was very absent yesterday.

The ineptitude of this government is breath taking, Health minister comparing Trampolines to Covid-19, Eamonn Ryan (there's just too much to mention), but the last Government press conference said it all, silly opening nonsense and a single contribution to a question not even asked of him, absolutely awful presentation skills and not entirely sure why he's even at these events, of course not a single FG Minister to be seen either.

It's falling apart no doubt, I do predict an election but it's anyone's guess what the result would be, one thing for sure, there did seem at one time a plan, now, I suspect most of the electorate are just in dispair.

Just surprised Michael Martin hasn't just locked down the country entirely until January and find a large hole to hide in until then, hoping this nightmare will end.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The uk has easier access to money on tap than ourselves, via its central bank, and since central banks can never run out of money......

Yes yes, just print more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

The type of people shouting for a united Ireland haven't a clue what that would involve.

I'd never vote for it, it'd be like that scene in the Titanic, if they both climbed onto the door floating in the water at the end, well you know what the outcome would be then.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no doubting Leo played a blinder here. Handle the crisis, shut everything down (easier than drip feed measures), throw as much supports as is possible (low interest borrowing). Let the dust settle, just a little and just as the nation wakes up to the horrendous financial mess its in, the Health service (all non covid) is at a complete stop & just as Real tough decisions have to be made, past the Baton to a hapless Michael Martin who's only apparent motivation for taking up such a poisoned chalice was being Taoiseach, even if only for a few months.

It's all played out quite well for Leo until of course his and other FG TD'S rather stupid comments, DISGRACEFUL & Sneaky undermining of NPHET by FG TD'S & now his party caught up in Golfgate. Very telling the normally Media friendly Leo was very absent yesterday.

The ineptitude of this government is breath taking, Health minister comparing Trampolines to Covid-19, Eamonn Ryan (there's just too much to mention), but the last Government press conference said it all, silly opening nonsense and a single contribution to a question not even asked of him, absolutely awful presentation skills and not entirely sure why he's even at these events, of course not a single FG Minister to be seen either.

It's falling apart no doubt, I do predict an election but it's anyone's guess what the result would be, one thing for sure, there did seem at one time a plan, now, I suspect most of the electorate are just in dispair.

Just surprised Michael Martin hasn't just locked down the country entirely until January and find a large hole to hide in until then, hoping this nightmare will end.

That’s the chicken way out and what some parties would do

I think you will find the current government will fight on and work for the people

Even if the people don’t understand what or why they are doing it

Dempo1 wrote:

Growing public debt is nothing to truly worry about, as always, it's private debt that causes most of our problems, as we ve recently learned once again, expect trouble with the banks again as defaults and none performing loans increase in the private domain, and also baring in mind, demand for private sector credit is falling, similar to last time, so expect fireworks

unhappys10 wrote: »
    The type of people shouting for a united Ireland haven't a clue what that would involve.

I'd never vote for it, it'd be like that scene in the Titanic, if they both climbed onto the door floating in the water at the end, well you know what the outcome would be then.

It would cripple both countries

I would be for it but there would need to be a 20 year plan on how it would happen.

unhappys10 wrote: »

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Yes yes, just print more

Yup, it's all we can do for the moment, as the private sector is in great shock, and demand is collapsing

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Why would a government in disarray call a snap election?

Doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The UK is showing all the signs of FPTP voting and how it leads to zero challenges in many districts. If you don't think that impacts on the quality of representative which ends up being selected and their sense of obligation to their constituents then you are not paying attention to the evidence.

I'd much rather coalitions and a sense of engagement in the process from the electorate than the apathy that many in the UK feel.

Why did you engage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I hope they will not be any election this year anyway. It would solve nothing but give certain wannabes a drum to bang endlessly in our faces. What the country needs now more than ever is for current TD's, especially those in opposition, to stop behaving like 12-year-olds and get on with the job.

Dan.

Advertisement