Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car enters water in Donegal

Options
  • 21-08-2020 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭

Hearing shocking reports of fatalities in Donegal, when a car containing a family entered the water at Quigleys Point.

May they RIP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

NIMAN wrote: »
    Hearing shocking reports of fatalities in Donegal, when a car containing a family entered the water at Quigleys Point.

May they RIP.

Nothing on news or twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Is that the one a fee have sadly perished at before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,775 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A Father and 2 kids from reports. Mother survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

NIMAN wrote: »
    A Father and 2 kids from reports. Mother survived.

Can't even begin to imagine what she is going through at the moment. It is heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Too Sad. Oh My God.
    R.i.P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oh fcuk that's a horrible story.

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

Can we all keep <snip> in our thoughts today? A mother who has woken up in hospital to discover that her husband and two kids have died after their car went into Lough Foyle? Put that into perspective, we are arguing about politicians and golf dinners and meanwhile a family is all but wiped out while going for a drive. This should be top story today. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

dere34 wrote: »
    Can we all keep <snip> in our thoughts today? A mother who has woken up in hospital to discover that her husband and two kids have died after their car went into Lough Foyle? Put that into perspective, we are arguing about politicians and golf dinners and meanwhile a family is all but wiped out while going for a drive. This should be top story today. RIP.

RIP, of course. That's a tragedy and a horrible way to go.

However, the entire country shouldn't turn its eye to this, there are things going on that are affecting everyone not just one family. Don't see why this would be front page news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No barriers on that stretch of road that I could see and a ~15ft drop with a tidal stony beach. Shocking if true.
    RIP.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    No barriers on that stretch of road that I could see and a ~15ft drop with a tidal stony beach. Shocking if true.
    RIP.

Have you a google maps link by any chance? That sounds fairly dangerous..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53859211

Image of scene this morning is here. Absolutely horrific.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That road is a joke, absolutely no barriers between you and a big drop. Unfortunately, it takes the death of 3 people before the council or whoever makes the calls to make it safe and prevent such thing happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Swept Away?

Very distasteful post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Yakult wrote: »
    That road is a joke, absolutely no barriers between you and a big drop. Unfortunately, it takes the death of 3 people before the council or whoever makes the calls to make it safe and prevent such thing happening again.
    There are barriers on that road. It's a reasonably good road too. In the pictures the emergency personnel are standing sea side of the barriers.

It's a busy road too especially in summer. I can't locate that exact point on google maps.

He was local too, so would be well used to the road, however that combined with it just being surfaced, a lot of rain and probably a temp 50km speed limit which may not have been adhered to (many of us would be the same, so no judgement there) probably are factors.

edit - no barriers at that section. Mixed it up with an area 1km up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

silver2020 wrote: »
    There are barriers on that road. It's a reasonably good road too. In the pictures the emergency personnel are standing sea side of the barriers.

It's a busy road too especially in summer. I can't locate that exact point on google maps.

He was local too, so would be well used to the road, however that combined with it just being surfaced, a lot of rain and probably a temp 50km speed limit which may not have been adhered to (many of us would be the same, so no judgement there) probably are factors.

there is an image of the scene on the BBC. no barriers between the road and the drop to the beach.

_114054571_donegaltriplerta07-002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I believe it to be at this location roughly, and no barriers are present in Google images.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/55°06'34.4"N+7°12'40.2"W/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Road was recently resurfaced, wonder was it tarmac or that gravel shíte they seem to put on the roads nowadays.

Madness that there doesnt seem to be any barriers, while it seems a decent road the drop is fairly severe and the road is quite close to the edge.

All involved have been named also.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/donegal-car-crash-today-news-22556323

RIP to those involved, cant imagine what that poor mother must be going through right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,775 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Very distasteful post.

I thought with the weather swept away in the sea, I was just wondering

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I believe it to be at this location roughly, and no barriers are present in Google images.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/55°06'34.4"N+7°12'40.2"W/

apologies, was thinking it was north of quigleys point where there are barriers.

Considering how busy the road is, barriers should be on all exposed sections. Its not a great road to be travelling in darkness and rain

RIP to all of those who died, the Moville has suffered an awful lot when it comes to car crashes and this doesn't seem to be much fault of the driver, more of weather conditions and possibly the new surface that probably did not have the road markings applied yet - why it takes about 2 weeks to put white lines on a road after resurfacing is unbelievable

Very sad.
    Little did I know last night when I posted that I know some of those involved.

May they rip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Life can be so cruel.
    The poor wife and mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Road was recently resurfaced, wonder was it tarmac or that gravel shíte they seem to put on the roads nowadays.

Madness that there doesnt seem to be any barriers, while it seems a decent road the drop is fairly severe and the road is quite close to the edge.

All involved have been named also.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/donegal-car-crash-today-news-22556323

RIP to those involved, cant imagine what that poor mother must be going through right now.

I'm from Kerry but I drove by the very spot on Tuesday as I went from Derry to Malin Head on a staycation trip. The road itself was being resurfaced and they were making a good job of it. It says in news reports that the car was travelling from Derry towards Quigleys Point which meant it must have crossed the oncoming lane to end up in the sea, very tragic and some Motorway armco could have possibly saved their lives. Roads up in Donegal are far better than I had expected as it was my first trip to the county in 20 years.

There was pretty high winds and torrential rain at the time of the accident, I'm sure they played into it all.

Hopefully they'll find the cause of the crash and do whatever is need to prevent such an unnecessary tragedy happening again. From news reports, the tide was in and the current swept the two kids away and it seems that they drowned after being able to get out of the car. My sympathies to all those who know the family.

Moville & Inishowen is one of the most wonderful places on earth, but it has far too high a share of tragedy.

Seems the cause was unusually high tide and storm conditions resulted in waves crashing over onto the road which is very rare. A friend of mine who has lived there most of his life said he has never remembered the lough being so rough

Lough foyle is officially a lake with just 1.5km outlet to the sea and the accident was about 15km from the joining of the sea and is usually quite calm even when there are stormy conditions at sea

Darkness and waves crashing over gives a probable cause of aquaplaning and the impossibility to control a vehicle as even with the best tyres, it renders the road to be like an ice rink. I aquaplaned once many years ago and it's a very frightening experience where you have zero control. Think of a large area of black ice but you are driving at say 60-80km an hour.

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    Seems the cause was unusually high tide and storm conditions resulted in waves crashing over onto the road which is very rare. A friend of mine who has lived there most of his life said he has never remembered the lough being so rough

Lough foyle is officially a lake with just 1.5km outlet to the sea and the accident was about 15km from the joining of the sea and is usually quite calm even when there are stormy conditions at sea

Darkness and waves crashing over gives a probable cause of aquaplaning and the impossibility to control a vehicle as even with the best tyres, it renders the road to be like an ice rink. I aquaplaned once many years ago and it's a very frightening experience where you have zero control. Think of a large area of black ice but you are driving at say 60-80km an hour.

I was on that stretch of road this morning and it is hard to believe that the car left the road where it did, so likely it was something like aquaplanning to blame. Can't see any other reason, as it was coming downhill off a brow of a hill and the car should have been going straight so cornering wasn't a factor.

The road was freshly resurfaced and I'm not sure if a new surface has any properties to an old road which may have played into it either. It's normally a 100km/h road but I noticed a sign there this morning for a lower speed.

I'd say it must have been bleak on that stretch with the water splashing up on to the road.

Advertisement