Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a bike from NI/UK

Options
  • 21-08-2020 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭

Hows it going?

I have my eye on a bike in Northern Ireland at the minute but if I end up buying it I haven't a clue how to change over the registration. Is there anyone here who has done this in the last year or so and if so could you give me a run down on how it works, what documentation I need etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need the full V5 and make sure it is >6 months old and has >6k km on the clock when you present to the NCT for VRT. Put the details in the VRT calculator to see how much it will be

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need the full V5 and make sure it is >6 months old and has >6k km on the clock when you present to the NCT for VRT. Put the details in the VRT calculator to see how much it will be

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

Thanks for the reply Del. Do you still need the V5? I was scanning Revenues website last night and came across this:

Revenue is aware that the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency has withdrawn the Certificate of Permanent Export from circulation. This was an alternative to the standard V5 registration certificate for the purposes of re-registering a vehicle in the State. From now on the UK authorities will only be issuing V5 certificates to persons resident in the UK.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Del. Do you still need the V5? I was scanning Revenues website last night and came across this:

Revenue is aware that the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency has withdrawn the Certificate of Permanent Export from circulation. This was an alternative to the standard V5 registration certificate for the purposes of re-registering a vehicle in the State. From now on the UK authorities will only be issuing V5 certificates to persons resident in the UK.

Yeah if you don't have the full V5 the owner will send it to Swansea and then you are fecked.

"It is essential that you get the UK Registration Certificate, the UK 'V5', when you are buying your vehicle. Failure to present the relevant FRC will lead to registration being refused."

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/general-information-on-registration.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭dubal2008

I brought a bike in from UK in the last month and I got the full V5 in with it, the shop over there filled out the export slip and sent it into Swansea

• Registered Users Posts: 3 walzy

Looking at a few in the UK at the moment myself. What's the V5 and where do you need to go to get it if you are buying private? Is it much hassle bringing one in? Is it worth it to pay a bike courier i'm wondering....

...Sorry Sonic, hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

walzy wrote: »
    Looking at a few in the UK at the moment myself. What's the V5 and where do you need to go to get it if you are buying private? Is it much hassle bringing one in? Is it worth it to pay a bike courier i'm wondering....

The seller gives you the v5.
    Also worth getting a courier to bring the bike in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

walzy wrote: »

Its their version of the Logbook we have here.
    When you buy privately the owner must give it to you, they can send the export part off to the DVLA/DVNI if needed but the front page is necessary to register the vehicle here.
    Some people don't understand and want to send the logbook to the DVLA but of that happens they won't send the logbook to Ireland. And then you are snookered unless you have a person in the UK that can get the logbook sent to them.

TLDR; If you go over you need the V5 document in your hand or its a gigantic pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its their version of the Logbook we have here.
    When you buy privately the owner must give it to you, they can send the export part off to the DVLA/DVNI if needed but the front page is necessary to register the vehicle here.
    Some people don't understand and want to send the logbook to the DVLA but of that happens they won't send the logbook to Ireland. And then you are snookered unless you have a person in the UK that can get the logbook sent to them.

TLDR; If you go over you need the V5 document in your hand or its a gigantic pain in the ass.

Its even worse now.
    Imported my bike in Feburary there.
    If a vehicle has been marked for export (its automatically marked as exported btw when a non UK address is entered into the system under the new owner)
    Then the DVLA will remove the vehicle from their system and won't create a new log book or a historical copy of the log book.

You would need to import the bike back into the UK and then get a log book made.
    I nearly went down that route as i thought the v5c was lost in the post and the DVLA refused outright to do anything about it. (I even tried saying they used my irish billing address by accident not an residential NI address)

The NCT centre wouldn't touch the bike until i could produce a V5 for it even when i explained it might be lost in the post and could produce a photocopy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I brought one in from N.I. recently.

You take the full V5.

Make a VRT appointment on your return. You'll need the V5, receipt for the purchase, evidence of ppsn, i.d. and your address.

It's simple enough.

p.s. Each to their own but I wouldn't buy a bike unseen and unridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I've imported a few from German dealers. They are far more honest and regulated than UK or Irish so easy to deal with. Recently I shipped in a 2005 1150 Adventure from UK. Unseen and not tested but I "knew" the owner on a BMW forum for the previous twelve years.

• Advertisement

I got my 1st bike from the UK and was lucky I had a friend close to the dealer so they could check it out. He was talking to the dealer as he checked it for me and the dealer said that he'd sell a bike unseen to an Irish buyer and within a few weeks a bunch of the buyers mates would buy more off him unseen. I'd found the bike on auto trader and it was only later that I realised that it was a dealer that a few people had recommended to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aido43

Got a V5 with a purchase up North last week--good luck getting a VRT Inspection date-- earliest date in Northwood Centre Dublin is 9th Sept.No dates on line for Greenhills or Ballymount--rang for a cancellation but nothing doing.Covid is blamed for all delays.

aido43 wrote: »
    Got a V5 with a purchase up North last week--good luck getting a VRT Inspection date-- earliest date in Northwood Centre Dublin is 9th Sept.No dates on line for Greenhills or Ballymount--rang for a cancellation but nothing doing.Covid is blamed for all delays.

Drive on so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

What's the story with a 3700 km bike that's 9 years old? Is it liable for VAT?

emo72 wrote: »
    What's the story with a 3700 km bike that's 9 years old? Is it liable for VAT?

Yes.

blade1 wrote: »
    Yes.

What's the actual milage for the cut off?

What's the actual milage for the cut off?

6k km
    Book vrt for 30days later and put up the milage.

Thanks. I got confused I thought you could have a bike with let's say 1000km and once it was over 6 years old they didn't charge you the VAT.

Thanks. I got confused I thought you could have a bike with let's say 1000km and once it was over 6 years old they didn't charge you the VAT.
    It has to be older than 6 months AND more than 6k km to avoid vat.

Advertisement