Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Eye Cinema due to reopen?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seemed to be some painting and decorating going on the outside of the building today. Hopefully it's reopening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

It is indeed reopening soon. They have confirmed so on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And there are new rugs on the floor in the entrance to the EYE cinema , with “Yes we are open” written on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's good news. More choice needed on the cinema front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Cinema in Salthill is hands down the best but delighted the Eye is reopening. It's far more convenient for me personally and the Oranmore IMC is awful. They seem to have, at long last, made some investment in it lately after years of constant issues, shabby presentation, etc, but it's still not great. Crazy really given how the location would indicate it should be cleaning up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I just went past their link on a set of bookmarks I was looking of r something else on.

So thought I'd see if there were any updates and lo& Behold they are reopening this Wednesday.

Seems like Wednesday's goingto be their one cheap day again. Shame they dropped teh Early bird offer which they had kept for years. I assume offers like taht reflect when a cinema is quiet. Not sure how things work out in terms of why they would run a film to very small audience what the economy of things like that are.

Has been nice to be in a quiet cinema at times though. JUst the idea of running a film to an audience of possibly one or two people as opposed to not having to heat a room or whatever. I'm sure there is a reason for and against the practise but would like to know what is factored in.

Is it love of cinema vs trying to make a profit or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Great!!! Hassle to get to the others. I can stroll down and back from my house would have been a lost to this side of the city.

Also great to see it opening for employees as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great to see it's back.

Oddly they reopened today without having done anything about the sign on the Dublin road not having the name on it still. THought that was an indication throughout the past year that it was unlikely that they would reopen. But now that they have I'm surprised that wasn't replaced. I did go by while the shutters were still locked then wound up waiting for the bus at the stop there and didn't think of looking at the stairs while i was there on the way back out. So maybe it did get done over the afternoon.

Would think that they would use that side of the building to advertise tehy had reopened. Always found it odd that there is an advertising hoarding thing above where taht set of stairs and door is that was never used to show what films were on. Would think that they would want to try to catch the eyes of passing traffic on that road.

Presumably getting enough not to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Because people driving by at 50kph will be looking up to find out screen times? Hardly strange now is it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they were eager to get the doors opened for the Bond release and that might have caused delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anyone been yet? Booked in to go tomorrow night and just wondering on waiting / queuing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I was there tonight, very quiet. Not a queue to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think you need planning permission for signage like that and as others have said, it could cause a traffic hazard if presenting motorists with too much irrelevant information.

Went to see No Time To Die a couple of weeks ago. A lot of shows around the time I was going were shown as sold out but the one I went to seemed quiet enough. I think they are being very cautious on capacity. Something like 50 in a screen capable of holding 500 previously. The security/manager guy was talking to a couple in front of me in the queue and he was saying there were plans to refurbish the screens next year.

Traffic is frequently stood still at that point. Also people walk by there and pass on buses etc .

Just seems odd that there is no postyering of current films or visible list of what is actually showing directed at a main thorougfhfare. Would think they might have posters up insiode the windows even . I was thinking more having it visible what was showing not at what times etc which would be more attention intensive. Are they getting a constant flow of custom anyway so not needing that added passing custom .

I saw they had started showing films in teh afternoon again . Still not sure how many people go at that timem I thought the initial times when thye retirned a couple of weeks back started a bit later. I liked teh Early bird offer when it was any film starting before 2.30pm Mon-Thurs and a bit earlier on the buisiest days, I'm still not getting the business model as to why films needed to be shown when there wasn't going to be an audience of more than a handful , assumed it might be tec needing to be warmed up or something. & not sure what happened if a film just had nobody turn up for the afternoon showing. Was it not shown or is the presence of a paying audience at taht time seen asa bonus up until a certian point. Assuming it may have had something to do with partially defunct technology but not sure. One of those once you've turned the machine on it costs more to turn it back off and on again than to keep it runniing or something?

Do at least have a cheap day o Wednesday at the moment i guess.

Advertisement