Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It's going to be full of Sheffield Wednesday fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Irish water was and still is a great idea.

They had no infrastructure, they were starting with a dilapidated network, and promising to upgrade it using the money brought in from charges. If I were selling you a house, would you buy it from me if it had a frame in place, but no walls, and no roof? But it's got great potential. It's a wonderful idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quosarmy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    He didn't even apologise properly.

Not a hope he'll resign.

+1 He's an ignorant fcuker, he'll ride this out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Quosarmy wrote: »

He is that. He needs to be pushed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Irish water was and still is a great idea.

Fully agree but the initial setup was a clusterf**k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They had no infrastructure, they were starting with a dilapidated network, and promising to upgrade it using the money brought in from charges. If I were selling you a house, would you buy it from me if it had a frame in place, but no walls, and no roof? But it's got great potential. It's a wonderful idea.

Eh, people buy dilapidated house all the time and fix them up, it may come as a surprise to you, but they even buy fields with no houses on them at all, to build a house. And, in pretty much all cases, you have to raise the money first before you start to build.

In time, the necessity for Irish Water will be obvious to even the most opaque of minds, but I do agree the roll out was an example of how not to get the country to buy into paying for a service that is essential to their wellbeing.

While I think the Irish politicians have to fall on their sword, Phil Hogan is no longer a serving politician here, so I don’t see why he should resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A lot of people, including myself, understood the need for a public utility company that could manage Ireland's water infrastructure needs (and I include a certain level of metered usage).

However, it was obvious from the get-go it was being plumped up for privitisation, sweetheart contracts and a jobs club for poltical flunkies.

I've never quite seen communication around and issue quite as badly managed by a government as well. It was a case study in how to p*ss down the leg of the public with a smile on your face and convince yourself you're doing a good job. That government have no one but themselves to blame for that fiasco.

I shudder even thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,125 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Any of the outraged got a link to this Sweeney fella being a billionaire ? He’s a pretty low key one if he is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Can't see Hogan resigning . He'd be out of a very very good job. Ministers resigning are still keeping a very very well paid job as a TD. The amount of family I spoke to who thought they gave up their seat. These people are only playing the game. They will still be around. Will Irish politics ever really change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Quosarmy wrote: »

Neck like a jockeys bollox. I work with a couple of people like him - dour, indolent and the charisma of an undertaker.

• Advertisement

Can't see Hogan resigning . He'd be out of a very very good job. Ministers resigning are still keeping a very very well paid job as a TD. The amount of family I spoke to who thought they gave up their seat. These people are only playing the game. They will still be around. Will Irish politics ever really change?

The only Irish poltitican I ever recall giving up their Dáil seat for a misdemeanor was the Labour TD who was caught out privitate messaging inappropriately to young women on Facebook.

Went on to lecture in UL in politics bizzarely enough I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Have you seen all the house regeneration programs?

So yes if the right price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What???

Get the guillotine out lads!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

JBD961 wrote:
    Phil Hogan was having dinner in The Devlin in ranelagh when he was ''self isolating''

send on the evidence what dates ect,

Dav010 wrote: »
    Eh, people buy dilapidated house all the time and fix them up, it may come as a surprise to you, but they even buy fields with no houses on them at all, to build a house. And, in pretty much all cases, you have to raise the money first before you start to build.

In time, the necessity for Irish Water will be obvious to even the most opaque of minds, but I do agree the roll out was an example of how not to get the country to buy into paying for a service that is essential to their wellbeing.

While I think the Irish politicians have to fall on their sword, Phil Hogan is no longer a serving politician here, so I don’t see why he should resign.

Yes, but rundown properties are renovated and used as either rental properties or sold on, they are not purchased and lived in within a few days, this company was selling a pipe dream with no pipes.

And on the subject of big Phil, he has no worries about resignation, he will just brazen it out and head back to mainland Europe. Free dinners are nothing new to him, they are a perk of the job, put it on the expenses. Entitled entitled entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any currently elected Irish politician involved in such an event should resign.
    Any person involved in managing or directing public health should resign.

I don't see why your man Hogan should resign any more than any private individual who was there. He shouldn't have done it but I don't think it's connected to his position or has implications for it.

Maybe the people calling for his head just don't like him personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Phil Hogan is a See You Next Tuesday, but he's our See You Next Tuesday.

If people want to be virtuous, you're better than me. We need him in his role defending our interests throughout Brexit negotiations. The Brits will do all they can to make hay out of this.

Having a laugh, your wishful thinking does not hold water, give me one example of Phil doing anything in our interest's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Seems Like Michael wants future clarification. Seems reasonable. The details have been extremely high level so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hogans movement since arriving in ireland are going to catch him out.
    Clearly from what he has said to date, he is either very fortunate the way everything worked out or the story has been manufactured around his actual non compliant movements.
    So he flew into Ireland and decided to stay in kildare for 14 days. Those 14 days would have taken him into the kildare.lockdown period where it would be illegal to be leaving the county for a jolly. Luckily big phil had a doctors appointment which allowed him to legally leave his 14 day kildare quarantine and phil then tbought it best to recover at another location outside kildare before the lockdown even came into play. He was very lucky how that all worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Resign, resign resing, that's all some people ever demand. If we had that we would be having an election every 3 months. I am guessing the ultra-left would love that.

Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Phil Hogan is a higher power.
    I'd say he is laughing at the online comments from ordinary worker ants calling for his resignation.

Hes going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Cyrus wrote: »
    Mr Hogan was self-isolating in Kildare – where he is understood to have a residence at the K-Club – after his return from Brussels until August 5th, when he travelled to Dublin for a medical appointment.

He stayed overnight at a health facility in Dublin, during which time he was also tested for Covid-19, with negative results, and then travelled to Kilkenny for a period of convalescence, according to his spokesman.

Did he get the "heads up" to get out of Dodge (Kildare) before the lockdown was announced?
    Why did he not return to Dodge but instead travelled to Kilkenny?

Why did he need to recuperate in Kilkenny and not in Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Resign, resign resing, that's all some people ever demand. If we had that we would be having an election every 3 months. I am guessing the ultra-left would love that.

I doubt if people would be demanding anybody's resignation if they were playing by the rules. Anybody elected to public office should perform to the highest standards.
    I read where a woman from Belfast was given a month in prison in the Isle of Man for breaking Covid quarantine rules. That's the sort of thing that would soften your cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,227 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mickdw wrote: »
    Hogans movement since arriving in ireland are going to catch him out.
    Clearly from what he has said to date, he is either very fortunate the way everything worked out or the story has been manufactured around his actual non compliant movements.
    So he flew into Ireland and decided to stay in kildare for 14 days. Those 14 days would have taken him into the kildare.lockdown period where it would be illegal to be leaving the county for a jolly. Luckily big phil had a doctors appointment which allowed him to legally leave his 14 day kildare quarantine and phil then tbought it best to recover at another location outside kildare before the lockdown even came into play. He was very lucky how that all worked out.

His story is all very neat isn't it. I'd imagine there is some journalistic rooting around in the undergrowth around that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

People are angry in general and if those involved think this will just blow away they are in for a shock. This might be a blessing in disguise and be a catalyst to finally put the fear in our politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Did he get the "heads up" to get out of Dodge (Kildare) before the lockdown was announced?
    Why did he not return to Dodge but instead travelled to Kilkenny?

Why did he need to recuperate in Kilkenny and not in Kildare?

In fairness, lots of people done a runner out of those counties before they were locked down. Do they all have to resign too? Because if they dont, then you are being biased.
    We need to take the pragmatic approach. Who replaces him if he does go and how will that affect the country. If the answer to that question leaves us short, then, in the current climate, we would be fools to force him out at present.

In fairness, lots of people done a runner out of those counties before they were locked down. Do they all have to resign too? Because if they dont, then you are being biased.
    We need to take the pragmatic approach. Who replaces him if he does go and how will that affect the country. If the answer to that question leaves us short, then, in the current climate, we would be fools to force him out at present.

I think we all understand the difference between Sandra the hairdresser from Newbridge breaking lockdown, and one of the most powerful poltical figures in Europe flaunting anti-pandemic measures during one of the most devastating economic and health events in decades.

Also, apparently Hogan had to issue a written apology to a staffer of John Bruton following a sexually charged comment he made to her at an Oireachtas golf outing at the same venue (see last two paragraphs of linked article). Connemara golf trips have not been kind to the blockhead.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/you-knackers-well-put-manners-on-you-phil-hogans-threat-to-our-journalists-29105543.html?fbclid=IwAR2qaSXfrx8dftpHQF-oBmT5fkrxVlNHeTOOW306_HTqHKsCXc73CKmxO64

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Screw ye spud heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If the likes of Dominic Cummings didnt resign....Big Phil sure as sh1t wont....

He is around long enough to know this will blow over....

He isnt a TD....His paymasters dont care...

Big Phil doesn't care...

End of story

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement