Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Delighted. We are finally starting to mature as a nation and wont simply turn a blind eye to cowboys like Phil. He should have been punished for his costly Irish Water disaster way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looks like he is jumping before he gets pushed. von der Leyen has obviously told him you can go with dignity or else be fired, your choice, which will it be.

If that’s what you call dignity..... the man wouldn’t know dignity on the most dignity-est day of his life, even if he had an electrified dignity machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't think it's a German thing (people always say the same thing about them).

Irish have not accepted the behaviour either as seen in the resignations last week and severe rebukes by Government of Phil Hogan.

I think it's presure from Irlsh government that has been key here rather than a 'German' attitude.

I say it because I have German friends and spent sometime there. They respect the rules and why not, rules are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Delighted. We are finally starting to mature as a nation and wont simply turn a blind eye to cowboys like Phil. He should have been punished for his costly Irish Water disaster way back.
    That's how he got the EU gig! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

nah lets keep the pitchforks at the ready and now move onto Fine Gael Judge Seamus Wolfe, he needs to go too

I woud suspect he knows it coming and is being told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Good news, some seem to think he was actually a good EU commissioner? Really! the first I've heard from or about this buffoons time as Trade commissioner was his golfing trip to Galway.

Now that he's going can we now get back to bashing this woeful government please :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should lose the pension also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

hahah, seriously? You think losing an Irish Trade commissioner in the EU is good for Ireland?

PH might be a gobshiite but he was still going to bat for Ireland.

People really have lost sight of what is important here and all for a cheap win for the 'the real hard working people of Ireland'.

I hope they are happy when a German or French Trade commissioner takes his place and leans heavy on our low tax economic model.

This government should have left this ride for a week until the next storm and looked out for the medium and long term interests of Ireland and not succumbed to a populist witch hunt

This is so stupid + misinformed. How could the trade commissioners have any effect on individual state tax policies? They're literally chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It and indo reporting he’s gone. Nothing from montrose yet

Update. RTÉ confirming it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

murpho999 wrote: »
    No Taoiseach in the history of the state has been elected directly by the people.

You vote for TDs and that leads to formation of the government and this is voted in by the TDs.

Same government if required nominates a European Commissioner who is then elected by the MEPs that you voted for.

That's how democracy works. TDs and MEPs vote on your behalf.

It never ceases to amaze me that this has to be explained to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not likely, his only focus over the past few days was getting a deal done securing his EU pot of gold, disgusting really

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The Belly wrote: »
    I woud suspect he knows it coming and is being told.
    There's a review going on with Susan Denham, so they've tried to get ahead of this rolling in the dirt like Hogan. Judges are very hard to shift if they don't want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

hahah, seriously? You think losing an Irish Trade commissioner in the EU is good for Ireland?

People really have lost sight of what is important here and all for a cheap win for the 'the real hard working people of Ireland'.

I hope they are happy when a German or French Trade commissioner takes his place and leans heavy on our low tax economic model.

This government should have left this ride for a week until the next storm and looked out for the medium and long term interests of Ireland and not succumbed to a populist witch hunt

You’re part of the problem. We can’t keep him because he’s “too big to fail”. What message does that send?

Don’t blame us for wanting the man gone. He came over on a piss up and while here, pissed all over government restrictions. This is all his own undoing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Someone please educate me on what historical events should lead me to believe that being the EU Trade negotiator would have been beneficial for the people of Ireland.

He was the one that tried to bring in water rates, this is not good for for the people of Ireland!

Most recently he treated the people of Ireland as plebs, acting like he’s above the rules while we should all follow them. He then lied, multiple times to the people, the government and his bosses in the EU.

This does not sound like a man that gives two ****es about the people of Ireland and very much like someone who very much looked after No.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, the Taoiseach is accountable to the Dail. Once a Taoiseach loses a vote of confidence we may get to vote. If one of that pair were elected Taoiseach it wouldn't be our doing. If you want that to change you need to change Article 13 of the Constitution.

The Taoiseach is first elected a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

nah lets keep the pitchforks at the ready and now move onto Fine Gael Judge Seamus Wolfe, he needs to go too

Pitchforks are old school, big silage buckrake mounted on a beast of a John Deere

That's actually a constitutional matter so he won't.

Can anyone point to ANYTHING this former commissioner did for Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

On the other hand, I'm happy Mr. Hogan suffered the consequences for his disregard of rules, and especially for the "I'm better than you peasants" -kind of attitude he seemed to display.

On the other hand, losing a trade commissioner is a bit of an embarrassment for Ireland in Europe.

Time to move on, I guess.

Shamie woulfe needs to go next. Rotten to the core

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

So he’s been decommissioned
    Fair play to Ursula. Like I said nothing as bad as one of your team lying and trying to fool you.
    I’m glad she has the fortitude that so many of our elected representatives lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

PH and FG only "bat" for one thing, their own self serving interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland - land of begrudgers - we can't wait to knock a great man down.

Uschi von der Leyen doesn't have any skeletons buried anywhere. He can't blackmail her in to keeping him in office. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

There's a review going on with Susan Denham, so they've tried to get ahead of this rolling in the dirt like Hogan. Judges are very hard to shift if they don't want to go.

Dominos once Phil goes he will too. His own will turn on him and say you have to go now while you have any shred of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

He has shown Europe that Paddy is sick of thick arrrogant fûçkers like him and what he represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

That's actually a constitutional matter so he won't.

He already waived both his TD & Ministerial salaries:

https://www.thejournal.ie/phil-hogan-salary-eu-commissioner-1665311-Sep2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

About time. Looks like he forgot even more of his fabricated story because he forgot to mention that the night he arrived into Ireland he was swanning around restaurant in KClub!

People who are going on + on about us losing a Commissonier need there head examined. Are you really saying you want Ireland represented by an out an out liar who didnt just change his story once but about 10 times + still couldnt fully tell the truth!

Did you not watch rte interview? He even contradicted his own interview. The man is a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Ireland - land of begrudgers - we can't wait to knock a great man down.

He knocked himself down. Ireland land of the sick and ****ing tired of the elite ****ting in us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tried to privatise our water supply, screwed the beef farmers... oh, you mean anything good? Eh... no.

Advertisement