Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Squeaky bum time for some of the other luminaries who attended Clifden I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

jm08 wrote: »
    Between 2002-11 he was opposition spokesperson for Enterprise, Trade & Employment and then Environmental Spokesperson.

I think Michael Noonan might have been opposition spokesperson for Finance and should have been the person asking questions about Bank regulation.

Fianna Fail were totally responsible for the financial crash. They are the ones who were big on light regulation.

You claimed he was "just an opposition TD". Now you're admitting he was a senior member of the largest opposition party.

I'm fully aware of what portfolio he held. But he knew what was going on and as a TD had a morally obligation to speak up. Instead he lined up to take advantage of the position he held.

And ordinary people paid the price for his ineptitude and greed while he filled his boots and paid no price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Balagan1

Ireland - land of begrudgers - we can't wait to knock a great man down.

If we could find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mick087 wrote: »
    The Taoiseach is first elected a TD.
    Nobody said they weren't but we don't choose a Taoiseach. Those in the EP are also elected first. Like our TDs they are representatives and they choose the Commission and vote on it democratically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

When’s this happening? Sign me up....gets a bit boring knocking lying self serving mouthpieces after a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Squeaky bum time for some of the other luminaries who attended Clifden I suspect.

Yes they took the p11s P45 phil did and was arrogant and the push back is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I say it because I have German friends and spent sometime there. They respect the rules and why not, rules are there for a reason.

That’s a massive generalisation, I would say that they have less experience and tolerance of the toxic culture of Irish politics which Phil was clearly very familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Shamie woulfe needs to go next. Rotten to the core

All of them should face the music not just Phil Hogan.
    All 81 should see the consequences for such disregard of our current situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    This is so stupid + misinformed. How could the trade commissioners have any effect on individual state tax policies? They're literally chalk and cheese.
    Meanwhile, Big Green Jersey Phil was 'advising' our govt to allow Brussels tax raising powers in Ireland so we might get some more crumbs from the covid fund.
    At least, we can see in that example (nevermind his mighty 'Irish jersey' defence of Mercosur) that Big Phil was very loyal to his employers;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wonder was it Von Der Leyen who pulled him off the Trade Panel today as he was talking.

Ruthless but fair.

• Advertisement

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    He already waived both his TD & Ministerial salaries:

https://www.thejournal.ie/phil-hogan-salary-eu-commissioner-1665311-Sep2014/
    Yeah but he's legally entitled to the pension(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Well done well done

Such naïveté on display

Phil Hogan does not give one solitary Fcuk for you or your family or your community or your nation

He cares for 1 thing and 1 thing only

Phil Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Plenty of time to work on his handicap now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

If we think Hogan is the best we have to offer we are seriously underestimating ourselves.
    Cute hoors like Hogan need to be cleaned out of politics, though there are plenty more after he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a lot of people who posted at the start of this thread who don't look so smart now. As for Phil, pride clearly comes before the fall.

There's a lot of people who posted at the start of this thread who don't look so smart now. As for Phil, pride clearly comes before the fall.
    Most people didn't expect it to end this way however much they wished it would but as the story grew and grew he was less likely to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

screamer wrote: »
    He knocked himself down. Ireland land of the sick and ****ing tired of the elite ****ting in us.

What’s this elite manure

Would you get sense , the reason he was in the position he was in is because he got into local politics at 25, do the same, you too can spend 35 years becoming one of the mysterious elite .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

So he’s been decommissioned
    Fair play to Ursula. Like I said nothing as bad as one of your team lying and trying to fool you.
    I’m glad she has the fortitude that so many of our elected representatives lack.

I'm certain she has much more information than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well done well done

Such naivety display

Haha..yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So, Sky News says he is going to 'resign'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wonder when will he move back over from Brussels? And will he "restrict the movements"?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Its not about Phil Hogan as much as he thinks it is. Its about fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Can anyone point to ANYTHING this former commissioner did for Ireland ?

Likewise, can anyone point to why he should have been made resign his EU job, which had nothing to do with Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mick087 wrote: »
    The Taoiseach is an elected TD

The EU president is not an elected MEP

Democratically he can be removed from office
    DemocraticallyThe EU president canot be removed from office.

The EU president is elected by MEPs that are elected by people.

Similar to how a Taoiseach is chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Cyrus wrote: »
    What’s this elite manure

Would you get sense , the reason he was in the position he was in is because he got into local politics at 25, do the same, you too can spend 35 years becoming one of the mysterious elite .

Yeah you’re right....he’s not elite .......anymore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

hahah, seriously? You think losing an Irish Trade commissioner in the EU is good for Ireland?

PH might be a gobshiite but he was still going to bat for Ireland.

People really have lost sight of what is important here and all for a cheap win for the 'the real hard working people of Ireland'.

I hope they are happy when a German or French Trade commissioner takes his place and leans heavy on our low tax economic model.

This government should have left this ride for a week until the next storm and looked out for the medium and long term interests of Ireland and not succumbed to a populist witch hunt

Do you remember that time there was dodgy bank dealings going on that eventually cost the taxpayer billions upon billions of euro and led to austerity, emigration and suicides?

What did Phil Hogan do?

A) Publicly speak out about it in our parliament where he was elected by the people to serve the people and call attention to a serious issue of national concern?

Or:

B) Did he keep his mouth shut and exploit the situtaion for his own personal game?

Yet the propagandaists are out telling us he's "batting for Ireland"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Likewise, can anyone point to why he should have been made resign his EU job, which had nothing to do with Ireland

Lying to his boss may be a start.

That’s a massive generalisation, I would say that they have less experience and tolerance of the toxic culture of Irish politics which Phil was clearly very familiar with.
    Yesterday, my German Manager mailed a German language report about those in positions of power in Ireland not obeying social distancing rules. He isn't one for "Klatsch und Tratsch". Reports about Hogan were on German national news about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Yeah you’re right....he’s not elite .......anymore.....

:pac::pac::pac: Excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

All the posters here who wanted Hogans head I presume you’ll be calling for the same for all the people from Kildare who are on holidays around the country this week, there must be no one left there .

Advertisement