Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Likewise, can anyone point to why he should have been made resign his EU job, which had nothing to do with Ireland
    Standards in office I suspect. He didn't just go to the golf, there were many other adventures along the way which went against the guidelines and restrictions we are living under.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

screamer wrote: »
    Yeah you’re right....he’s not elite .......anymore.....

Elite

Another Sinn Fein construct lapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Lying to his boss may be a start.

I'm not sure that's what all the outrage was about though,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Slice of humble pie for Phil. Jump or be pushed. Plenty of time for golf now.

Don't think he was ever going to be sacked, this was all about his severance package nothing more (although I'm sure he asked) nothing less (definitely)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Wonder was it Von Der Leyen who pulled him off the Trade Panel today as he was talking.

Ruthless but fair.

What happened here? Any more info

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cyrus wrote: »
    All the posters here who wanted Hogans head I presume you’ll be calling for the same for all the people from Kildare who are on holidays around the country this week, there must be no one left there .

Yes, because that's exactly the same thing!!!!

Well spotted!!

At least Hogan can cheer himself up that AGS didn't give him the two penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Trust, it takes a long time to build and a moment to destroy. I don’t think ould Phil gave one sh:te about Ireland in his cushy office in Belgium.
    Those who saw him as some kind of Brexit Saviour..... ha I’ll see your Brexit and raise you Mercosur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

murpho999 wrote: »
    The EU president is elected by MEPs that are elected by people.

Similar to how a Taoiseach is chosen.

Is the president of the EU a MEP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's how he got the EU gig! :D

Correct. He was rewarded for utter incompetence. For creating the God awful mess that was the Irish Water superquango.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Bye bye Philly

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Breaking news, Phil Hogan to be appointed Agriculture Minister (after all no Manure will ever stick) :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Absolutely delighted

Correct. He was rewarded for utter incompetence. For creating the God awful mess that was the Irish Water superquango.

I believe it’s called a sideways promotion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Typical Germans. The auld Rommel get out clause.

Hopefully, they'll go to the trouble of strafing his car and all. Would the only good thing the EU battle group ever did. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

He should be sacked, he shouldn’t be allowed to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The Belly wrote: »
    Its not about Phil Hogan as much as he thinks it is. Its about fairness.

And begrudgery...

He's sixty now , he'll have a pension most of us can only dream about and he'll walk into another high powered position. He'll likely be better off
    Why don't the other 80 lose their jobs too if it's all about fairness.

wrangler wrote: »
    And begrudgery...

He's sixty now , he'll have a pension most of us can only dream about and he'll walk into another high powered position. He'll likely be better off
    Why don't the other 80 lose their jobs too if it's all about fairness.

Because maybe Ursula has more b@lls than our brave and fearless leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What happened here? Any more info

He was on a trade webinar with US & EU diplomats, Business Execs (including microsoft) and various other people of profile.

Had "technology" issues at the start so was late. Then joined and said his piece and stated fairly suddenly when another speaker was talking he had to leave and said a further piece. Then left.

There was no inkling of him resigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Cyrus wrote: »
    All the posters here who wanted Hogans head I presume you’ll be calling for the same for all the people from Kildare who are on holidays around the country this week, there must be no one left there .

Make it happen Cyrus! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Who's in line for the job now?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Great news. His ignorance was his downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'll be looking forward to the sympathetic obituaries from certain quarters tomorrow.

His resignation mentioned on DeutschlandFunk news just now.
    Resigned due to not complying with Corona social distancing regulations according to the report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Because the EU is not another government, it is a supranational body. Suggesting commissioners should be elected is a step towards a federal EU as opposed to a supranational body. The EU is a body constituted by its member states who delegate authority to certain people to act in their collective interest.

The Council (in essence the member states) is the most important body for a reason. The member states delegate certain individuals to run the affairs of the EU - akin to a civil service.

The fact that commissioners can not be withdrawn by the member state is a simply practical element as otherwise there would be too much dysfunction. Thankfully all the member states have agreed that this is the best way to work.

I don't think there is an issue with us being "able to withdraw him".
    The institution should abide by it's own moral code and the fact that it's primary function is to SERVE the people of Europe.
    The fact Ireland highlighted the transgressions is because they happened here.
    If he were at an French underground rave and broke the regulations there I'm sure the French would be up in arms.
    The fact that he is gone is reassuring that the commission or college (really government) holds their commissioners (ministers albeit unelected) to account.

The Irish government really wanted him to "consider his position". Hopefully that's not to the detriment of the country. If he really was "batting for Ireland" which goes against his oath then the EU would want him gone.

Either way a sorry situation of hubris and self-importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Delighted for the sh1thead.

****ty judgement, lying, getting caught out and compounding the lie again and again, thinking the rules don't apply to him, rubbishing the HSE and anyone else he could. A real patriot.

Great traits in any commissioner. Your one UVDL wasn't having it I'd say.

Batting for Ireland my arse.

Should have gone ages ago.

I hope that Judge doesn't think he's above the law as well.

Edgware wrote: »
    Who's in line for the job now?
    It'll be amazing if LV or Coveney shuffle into view.
    I mean - amazing for theories, scandal, rumour etc

• Advertisement

Covid 19 update for today
    164 new cases
    no further deaths
    one EU commissioner’s scalp

Advertisement