Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

I hope we'll be a bit more vigilant and vocal about who takes his place.
    Covney with his bilderberg connections wouldn't fill me full of confidence.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only native English speaking nation is getting the top jobs given the global trade situation with trump and UK.

You mean Malta?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who is next for the gallows?

I am looking at you Hayes

Woulfe, or possibly Aine Brady from her charity role (ex TD, ex Junior, runs a charity for the elderly - who are cocooning while she broke the Kildare lockdown)

Hayes is not public purse so most people don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

jm08 wrote: »
    Harris is too young for that job. Frances Fitz, Bruton or Charlie Flanagan! Tricky enough for both FF and FG if they promote a TD and what it will do to their numbers in the Dail.

Lol imagine if they sent over Charlie. It wouldn't make a difference to their numbers really tbh. The Gov would still have more than enough for a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

wrangler wrote: »
    Our government is useless to give into this rubbish, Ireland is ungovernable now.
    Politicians are correct now to draw their generous salaries and do nothing,

Sorta like going on a 6 week holiday during a worldwide pandemic.

That kind of 'do nothing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

:D
    gmisk wrote: »
    Phil Hogan is to resign from his role as EU Trade Commissioner https://jrnl.ie/5184266

That's a pity and a big lose for is as a country what with Brexit and the Us trade negotiations.

Cyrus wrote: »
    No I don’t

It’s a nonsense this witch hunt
    Agreed. It was all taking way out of scale. It was stupid what they done and tes the other politicians losing there jobs was right but Phil Hogan going was just stupid

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

First Up wrote: »
    He has himself to blame. No sympathy for him but its a very unfortunate development for Ireland. An Irish Trade Commissioner was both moral and very practical support for us leading into EU-UK trade negotiations.

It would be a diplomatic triumph for his successor to get the same portfolio but a shuffle is more likely. We (he) blew it and we will be made suffer.

Hard work ahead; the livelehoods of some of those celebrating Hogan's downfall very likely depend on it.

I see where the UK has appointed Tony Abbott (former Australian PM) as a Trade Ambassador for the UK. I bet they wouldn't mind having Big Phil in the room negotiating for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

AMKC wrote: »
    :D

That's a pity and a big lose for is as a country what with Brexit and the Us trade negotiations.

Agreed. It was all taking way out of scale. It was stupid what they done and tes the other politicians losing there jobs was right but Phil Hogan going was just stupid

Well you give him a job so, he's in brussels right now he can probably be at your house in ireland by this time tomorrow, a hug and a kiss on each cheek, all following the rules as he understands them of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

He has himself to blame. No sympathy for him but its a very unfortunate development for Ireland. An Irish Trade Commissioner was both moral and very practical support for us leading into EU-UK trade negotiations.

It would be a diplomatic triumph for his successor to get the same portfolio but a shuffle is more likely. We (he) blew it and we will be made suffer.

Hard work ahead; the livelehoods of some of those celebrating Hogan's downfall very likely depend on it.

My thoughts as well. The country will be so much worse off without a Trade Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

I see where the UK has appointed Tony Abbott (former Australian PM) as a Trade Ambassador for the UK. I bet they wouldn't mind having Big Phil in the room negotiating for the UK.

Best thing he can do now is head off play some golf relax and take stock of things and learn some humility.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Leo won’t be happy he was hoping big Phil would keep that seat warm for him
    Now that big Phil is gone surely in the interest of fairness and equality that wolf should now be forced to resign along with all those senators who were gifted their positions?

Sure which is why Varadkar was criccising Hogan too.

Reverse psychology, is it?

Anyway which of the swine is next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sorta like going on a 6 week holiday during a worldwide pandemic.

That kind of 'do nothing'.

They won't be subject to any harassment anyway and have as much thanks

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Lol imagine if they sent over Charlie. It wouldn't make a difference to their numbers really tbh. The Gov would still have more than enough for a majority.

Yes they would - but it could work out that Sinn Fein would have the most seats of any single party and it could be very embarrassing if in a bye election Sinn Fein won the seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I hope we'll be a bit more vigilant and vocal about who takes his place.
    Covney with his bilderberg connections wouldn't fill me full of confidence.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only native English speaking nation is getting the top jobs given the global trade situation with trump and UK.
    His mentor Sutherland would be so proud though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

wrangler wrote: »
    They won't be subject to any harassment anyway and have as much thanks

They're getting over €100k pa plus expenses. They don't need your sympathy. And that goes for all of them.

Id say Leo sights are higher than being a Commissioner. More Like President of the Council or Commission.
    Nice stepping stone, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My thoughts as well. The country will be so much worse off without a Trade Commissioner.

Well maybe he shouldn't have gone rogue then? What choice did he leave anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

YES:)

For way too long the culture of 'i can do what I want and give some pathetic excuse to the peaaants' might finally be coming to an end.

Bye bye philly don't feel too bad as your count your very generous pension

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are exceptionally unlikely to reshuffle the Commission. We get to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

L1011 wrote: »
    Woulfe, or possibly Aine Brady from her charity role (ex TD, ex Junior, runs a charity for the elderly - who are cocooning while she broke the Kildare lockdown)

Hayes is not public purse so most people don't care.
    Councillor Paudge (I was golfing in spain 8 days back and I couldn't be arsed self isolating) connolly

But they wouldn't be able to trust him, him being an Irishman done good he'd almost starngle himself pulling on that green jersey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Could you please explain to me, how "we" (I assume you mean the Irish citizens) "blew it"?

Phil Hogan decided his own fate when he sauntered back in to the country like he owned the place, in the midst of a pandemic, broke almost every regulation and guideline there was to break, for by that he was caught breaking the law in his car - I.E using a mobile phone when driving, and when caught blatantly lied, and tried to blame everyone else from hotels, health workers and the citizens advice website.

Not only that, but he openly told everyone who watched him on interview admit that the laws of this land "do not, or should not apply to him"? (If the police had of realised I was a commissioner they'd never have stopped me to begin with?)

Please Mr First up, please explain how "we" blew it, and why "we will be made suffer"?

Are you suggesting a blind eye should have been turned to this carry-on by the ordinary people in this state, and that those who think they are above the law let go on their merry way, accountable for nothing and to no-one?

Too late for that, the cat was out of the bag, and the whole of the EU might hopefully be taking a closer look at just what in under jaysis actually does he going on in this country where the "one rule for them and one rule for the rest" was openly revealed last week.

No sympathy for him, he can go and shyte up a stick, I hope that when his fall from grace ends, he hits the bottom with one hell of an almighty thump, the big ignorant oaf.

The country doesn't have an EU Trade Commissioner.
    the EU does.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The country doesn't have an EU Trade Commissioner.
    the EU does.

No but we finally have some balls. And for whats to come we will need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

L1011 wrote: »
    They are exceptionally unlikely to reshuffle the Commission. We get to replace him.

Do you think? I'd have thought the EU will decide his replacement in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,770 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wonder if he's isolating now?

In Adare Manor probably

Yes they would - but it could work out that Sinn Fein would have the most seats of any single party and it could be very embarrassing if in a bye election Sinn Fein won the seat.

What difference would that make, though? It will most likely be someone from FG realistically. Both SF & FF have 37, but the between the Greens, FF & FG, there are 84. There are also several independent TDs who have consistently voted in favour of the Gov parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Regarding Phil Hogan's replacement as Ireland's EU Commissioner, my money would be on Leo Varadkar.

Micheal Martin would love to get Varadkar out and end this unprecedented situation where we have a current and former Taoiseach serving in cabinet together, the now vacant Irish EU Commissioner role offers him a golden opportunity to do this.

The commission portfolios were decided by Ursula Von de Leyen according to geography, political background and gender in order to maintain balance. Hogan's replacement should ideally be male, Fine Gael/EPP. Varadkar being gay and half-Indian would also add more diversity to the commission. Also Varadkar's background with Brexit negotiations would increase chances of Ireland retaining the much coveted Trade portfolio.

Varadkar has also previously said that he doesn't see himself involved in Irish politics by his 50s, the EU commission role could be an ideal escape....

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Nice stepping stone, maybe?

You don't need stepping stones when you have such a wide range of ministerial experience and have been at the top table as a member of the European Council. He was actually asked if he would be interested for the last Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Delighted he's gone. His nationality would have made no difference whatsoever in Brexit talks.

• Advertisement

LordBasil wrote: »
    Regarding Phil Hogan's replacement as Ireland's EU Commissioner, my money would be on Leo Varadkar.

Micheal Martin would love to get Varadkar out and end this unprecedented situation where we have a current and former Taoiseach serving in cabinet together, the now vacant Irish EU Commissioner role offers him a golden opportunity to do this.

The commission portfolios were decided by Ursula Von de Leyen according to geography, political background and gender in order to maintain balance. Hogan's replacement should ideally be male, Fine Gael/EPP. Varadkar being gay and half-Indian would also add more diversity to the commission. Also Varadkar's background with Brexit negotiations would increase chances of Ireland retaining the much coveted Trade portfolio.

Varadkar has also previously said that he doesn't see himself involved in Irish politics by his 50s, the EU commission role could be an ideal escape....

LV is the main reason why FG have grown in popularity since the beginning of the pandemic. They're hardly going to want/allow him to fak off to the EU + leave the party with a leader as stale as Simon Coveney.

Advertisement