Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

First Up wrote: »
    He has himself to blame. No sympathy for him but its a very unfortunate development for Ireland. An Irish Trade Commissioner was both moral and very practical support for us leading into EU-UK trade negotiations.

It would be a diplomatic triumph for his successor to get the same portfolio but a shuffle is more likely. We (he) blew it and we will be made suffer.

Hard work ahead; the livelehoods of some of those celebrating Hogan's downfall very likely depend on it.

He actually seems like a proud Irishman. Mentioned "Ireland where I'm from" twice in his webinar with some saying about a horse jumping a fence.:o

Leo could have an eye on Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hurrache wrote: »
    Do you think? I'd have thought the EU will decide his replacement in that role.

His replacement has to be another Commissioner.

They are not going to do a reshuffle a year and a bit in. Unless we try send a donkey, they're getting Trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We're a nation of idiots imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

LordBasil wrote: »
    Regarding Phil Hogan's replacement as Ireland's EU Commissioner, my money would be on Leo Varadkar.

Micheal Martin would love to get Varadkar out and end this unprecedented situation where we have a current and former Taoiseach serving in cabinet together, the now vacant Irish EU Commissioner role offers him a golden opportunity to do this.

The commission portfolios were decided by Ursula Von de Leyen according to geography, political background and gender in order to maintain balance. Hogan's replacement should ideally be male, Fine Gael/EPP. Varadkar being gay and half-Indian would also add more diversity to the commission. Also Varadkar's background with Brexit negotiations would increase chances of Ireland retaining the much coveted Trade portfolio.

Varadkar has also previously said that he doesn't see himself involved in Irish politics by his 50s, the EU commission role could be an ideal escape....

And according to a political journalist about the only constituency where they could practically hold the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Regarding Phil Hogan's replacement as Ireland's EU Commissioner, my money would be on Leo Varadkar.

Micheal Martin would love to get Varadkar out and end this unprecedented situation where we have a current and former Taoiseach serving in cabinet together, the now vacant Irish EU Commissioner role offers him a golden opportunity to do this.

The commission portfolios were decided by Ursula Von de Leyen according to geography, political background and gender in order to maintain balance. Hogan's replacement should ideally be male, Fine Gael/EPP. Varadkar being gay and half-Indian would also add more diversity to the commission. Also Varadkar's background with Brexit negotiations would increase chances of Ireland retaining the much coveted Trade portfolio.

Varadkar has also previously said that he doesn't see himself involved in Irish politics by his 50s, the EU commission role could be an ideal escape....

That's a perfect call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Why is he allowed resign and keep his 5k a month or more pension?

Why is he not being fired in disgrace and save the taxpayer the cost of paying him not to work at our expense.

Its a bit like paying prisoners in jail the dole for not working.

Why is he not being fired in disgrace and save the taxpayer the cost of paying him not to work at our expense.

If he was fired, he would have exactly the same pension entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

titan18 wrote: »

Why? because the same Phil was thinking of heading off only two months ago anyway.

He's no loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And according to a political journalist about the only constituency where they could practically hold the seat.
    I think that journalist was talking out their hoop tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    LV is the main reason why FG have grown in popularity since the beginning of the pandemic. They're hardly going to want/allow him to fak off to the EU + leave the party with a leader as stale as Simon Coveney.

He was also the main reason they lost the GE in February. Him leaving would open up an opportunity for someone else. Coveney is weakened by being from the same constituency as MM so someone else would likely get the job, I think they'd go for Pascal Donohue as they'd want a Dubliner as leader and Pascal is respected both home and abroad... see his recent election the Chair of the Eurogroup of Finance Ministers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

L1011 wrote:
    They are exceptionally unlikely to reshuffle the Commission. We get to replace him.

I'm not sure about that. UVDL probably already has a shortlist of Commissioners deserving promotion. Will she wait while we decide who to nominate (not straightforward with a coalition) and then the vetting process?

Plus she may well be inclined to rub our noses in a mess of our own making. Nor will some other member states be shy about pushing their man/woman. We're not the only country interested in that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Phil would make a great Minister for Agriculture. Knows a good deal about it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I think that journalist was talking out their hoop tbh

1000%, Ruth Coppinger would be a shoo-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Didn't know much about this guy before all this kicked off but 7 days on him has been an eye-opener. Arrogant, entitled and cocky are some of the nicer words I'd use to describe him. He has the oral grace of a drunk and I'd be a bit embarrassed that he was representing us in Brussels.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

First Up wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. UVDL probably already has a shortlist of Commissioners deserving promotion. Will she wait while we decide who to nominate (not straightforward with a coalition) and then the vetting process?

Plus she may well be inclined to rub our noses in a mess of our own making. Nor will some other member states be shy about pushing their man/woman. We're not the only country interested in that job.

This does not happen often - so there is no reason you'd have a "shortlist". Commissioners are given it for the five year term. Other countries can push all they want; its not a normal thing for a reshuffle.

Basically, unless we send some Councillor or something, we keep Trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

L1011 wrote: »
    His replacement has to be another Commissioner.

They are not going to do a reshuffle a year and a bit in. Unless we try send a donkey, they're getting Trade.

Irish examiner reporting Simon Coveney in line for the job albeit he's no commissioner, wonder will his government merc and driver be an obstacle, not sure he can bring them with him. Might be a good choice if only to save €1 million a year placating his hypocrisy.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

He was also the main reason they lost the GE in February. Him leaving would open up an opportunity for someone else. Coveney is weakened by being from the same constituency as MM so someone else would likely get the job, I think they'd go for Pascal Donohue as they'd want a Dubliner as leader and Pascal is respected both home and abroad... see his recent election the Chair of the Eurogroup of Finance Ministers.

No he wasn't? FG policies + a series of monumental fcuk ups were the downfall of FG in the last election. His popularity has grown quite a bit since then. Paschal has said that he doesn't want to be Taoiseach but Simon definitely does.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

jm08 wrote: »
    Id say Leo sights are higher than being a Commissioner. More Like President of the Council or Commission.

Leo has a very high opinion of himself

There’s talk of Richard Bruton being out forward for the position

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Oh dear Phil, did the sacking touch a nerve with you, you arrogant, condescending pr!ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

titan18 wrote: »

A sizable number seem to be in the grip of a collective neurosis.
    Those who predicted mental health problems arising out the virus scene have been proved horribly right .

• Advertisement

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    No he wasn't? FG policies + a series of monumental fcuk ups were the downfall of FG in the last election. His popularity has grown quite a bit since then. Paschal has said that he doesn't want to be Taoiseach but Simon definitely does.

Agreed, Hogan was shipped out long before election, anyone remember his last F€&K up? Water charges

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Phil would make a great Minister for Agriculture. Knows a good deal about it apparently.

Do the travellers have a minister?

He'd be perfect, Phil did so much travelling here over a few days in the space of a few weeks he must know every hole in every hedge from Limerick to Dublin, and across to Galway again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fvck, bring back Phil. You might just be right. I don't know who I trust less to be honest. The Belgian's won't know what to think of him with all the house parties and bags of cans.

TBH it looked like a massive political takedown. Phil showed blatant disregard for the rules and left himself open. If he had of just applied a bit of humility and observed the albeit archaic rules we wouldn't be here. Public health is more serious than any golf game and he should have known it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's a disgrace.

Big pension for the big idiot.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why? because the same Phil was thinking of heading off only two months ago anyway.

He's no loss.

No, cos half the country seemed to spend a week campaigning to get him fired despite plenty of those people breaking restrictions themselves.

Anyone have any SF canvassing? Just had them to my door. Thanking us for our support....

Now she was a very lovely woman but her mind-reading skills were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Surely there's an one outstanding and obvious choice for Ireland's nominee as European Commissioner, Gerry Adams.
    It would display remarkable magnanimity and inclusivity from An Taoiseach and reassure all those that feel we need an experienced negotiator and "strongman" in Europe for dealing with upcoming Brexit and Trade deals.

boardise wrote: »
    A sizable number seem to be in the grip of a collective neurosis.
    Those who predicted mental health problems arising out the virus scene have been proved horribly right .

I've just been speaking to myself, now we're was I :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

An Ri rua wrote: »
    A bit of an issue...he would have to get elected first......can't see him being too popular after this
    Plus I think he had a massive falling out with the ICMSA so much so they wouldn't deal with him any longer

• Advertisement

Leo has a very high opinion of himself

There’s talk of Richard Bruton being out forward for the position

Great choice. The Brutons, even though only humble farmers, speak French don't you know!!

Advertisement