Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

gmisk wrote: »
    A bit of an issue...he would have to get elected first......can't see him being too popular after this
    Plus I think he had a massive falling out with the ICMSA so much so they wouldn't deal with him any longer

He managed to fall out with the entire nation if I recall

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Only time I answered my phone behind the wheel I swerved half way across the next lane and nearly caused a crash. It's lethal.:eek:

BLUETOOTH!!???????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maybe disgraced Phil can worm off to the WTO.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Anyone have any SF canvassing? Just had them to my door. Thanking us for our support....

Now she was a very lovely woman but her mind-reading skills were poor.
    Canvassing for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Please tell me this isn't true. Gavan Reilly saying Frances Fitzgerald will replace him.

What happened to the need for someone who's indispensable.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1298700677011603459?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'm wondering if there is a stipulation in the contracts that says if you resign you are not entitled to the pension that would have come with the position?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A bit of an issue...he would have to get elected first......can't see him being too popular after this
    Plus I think he had a massive falling out with the ICMSA so much so they wouldn't deal with him any longer

Send a appointed Senator to the Commission. Appoint Phil to the Seanad. Think you have two Ministers from the Seanad and we only have one Super Junior currently.

4D Chess :pac:
    Canvassing for what?

The election FG are likely to call the second its safe to have one?
    Tippex wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there is a stipu;ation in the contracts that says if you resign you are not entitled to the pension that would have come with the position?

Not a chance.

Would a private sector role with pension have that? Of course not. Those roles still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Please tell me this ain't true. Gavan O Reilly saying Frances Fitzgerald will replace him.

I warned ye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Anyone have any SF canvassing? Just had them to my door. Thanking us for our support....

Now she was a very lovely woman but her mind-reading skills were poor.

If, SF, or anyone else is doing door to door canvassing at this point giving everything that has gone on, they'd want a serious kick in the ar*e themselves.

If so, the only conclusion I can come to is that Irish Politicians looked at what was going on in the US and UK over the last few years and decided they were going to adopt the same tactics of appearing as incompetent as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Please tell me this isn't true. Gavan O Reilly saying Frances Fitzgerald will replace him.

I love the star beside 'vindicated'. She let McCabe down badly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Please tell me this isn't true. Gavan O Reilly saying Frances Fitzgerald will replace him.

I'm not getting why this seems to be automatically Fine Gael's pick:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Sick joke surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jm08 wrote: »
    I see where the UK has appointed Tony Abbott (former Australian PM) as a Trade Ambassador for the UK. I bet they wouldn't mind having Big Phil in the room negotiating for the UK.

They'll need all the help they can get if Tony Abbott is involved in any negotiations.

Leo has a very high opinion of himself

There’s talk of Richard Bruton being out forward for the position
    He would be a great choice imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Canvassing for what?

They said Brian was just saying thanks for the support. I don't even vote in these parts.

Just putting out the feelers to see if they're out elsewhere. I didn't take the leaflet. Shouldn't be going door to door during this virus.

I'm not getting why this seems to be automatically Fine Gael's pick:confused:
    I'm guessing things like this were agreed when they went into coalition

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Had big Phil remained in Irish politics he would no doubt have taken over from his old pal Enda and would currently be Taoiseach or tainiste now wouldn’t that have been something if he was in that position during golfgate, or had he been voted in as the chief of the WTO would he have been forced to resign?
    Leo is a complete chancer who somehow managed to fall into the position of Taoiseach he’s not even in the top 5 FG politicians and has a poor track record as a minister, he’s deluded if he thinks he would ever get a leadership position in EU
    I’m not defending big Phil but he has lost his job over this yet many senators and an entitled skumbag of a judge don’t get punished at all, hardly seems fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had big Phil remained in Irish politics he would no doubt have taken over from his old pal Enda and would currently be Taoiseach or tainiste now wouldn’t that have been something if he was in that position during golfgate, or had he been voted in as the chief of the WTO would he have been forced to resign?
    Leo is a complete chancer who somehow managed to fall into the position of Taoiseach he’s not even in the top 5 FG politicians and has a poor track record as a minister, he’s deluded if he thinks he would ever get a leadership position in EU
    I’m not defending big Phil but he has lost his job over this yet many senators and an entitled skumbag of a judge don’t get punished at all, hardly seems fair?

Phil would not have won a leadership election in FG against Leo or Coveney. Not a chance. Other TDs get the bulk of the electoral college and most of them will have had a very hard time getting/keeping/re-gaining their seats after his shambles as a Minister in 2011-14

Senators (and TDs) cannot be sacked. Judges can only be impeached and its exceptionally unlikely this would meet the standards. They need to be pressured to resign instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

aido79 wrote: »
    They'll need all the help they can get if Tony Abbott is involved in any negotiations.

Why that? He negotiated FTAs with China, Japan and South Korea.

Also seems like a decent lad, spent his time in office combatting people smuggling and took on Russia over the shot down airline. So not yet typical stand on the sidelines not wanting to upset anyone we’re used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

McMurphy wrote:
    Could you please explain to me, how "we" (I assume you mean the Irish citizens) "blew it"?

Ireland in general. From Brussels' (and UVDL's) perspective, they gave our nominee maybe the most important job in the Commission. Now they have to clean up after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Please tell me this isn't true. Gavan Reilly saying Frances Fitzgerald will replace him.

I think that proves the one commissioner spot is a chums reward/foes dumping ground rather than a strategic choice for a nation's govt giving the role to the best of us.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

aido79 wrote: »

*Julia Gillard has entered the chat*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's a review going on with Susan Denham, so they've tried to get ahead of this rolling in the dirt like Hogan. Judges are very hard to shift if they don't want to go.

It wont be easy to get rid of Judge Wolfe but he has to go. This guy was literally the attorney general up until a few weeks ago. Nobody knew more than him about the Covid restrictions because he literally wrote the rule book. He is paid a handsome wage of some 300k a year for his 'judgement' and in by attending the Galway piss up he has shown his judgement is completly inadequate. He has no credibility left for attending that piss up and he isnt fit to be on the Supreme Court bench.
    seamus wrote: »
    Enda Kenny to replace him.

Enda Kenny doesnt look like a man who wants to go into politics ever again

https://twitter.com/BSDetec54310633/status/1297804765657784320

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

L1011 wrote: »
    Phil would not have won a leadership election in FG against Leo or Coveney. Not a chance. Other TDs get the bulk of the electoral college and most of them will have had a very hard time getting/keeping/re-gaining their seats after his shambles as a Minister in 2011-14

Senators (and TDs) cannot be sacked. Judges can only be impeached and its exceptionally unlikely this would meet the standards. They need to be pressured to resign instead.

Surely there is some mechanism for the removal of a senator who has not been elected but either proposed by the Taoiseach who I would assume can withdraw their nomination or via a panel who also should have the mechanism of removal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

L1011 wrote:
    This does not happen often - so there is no reason you'd have a "shortlist". Commissioners are given it for the five year term. Other countries can push all they want; its not a normal thing for a reshuffle.

It won't be written down but you can be sure she has thought about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Jaysus he really is arrogant. He seems a bit thick too.

I get the impression he hates Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    *Julia Gillard has entered the chat*

Still waiting for the reasons why that I asked for. Someone that negotiates FTAs with China and Japan especially isn’t small fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Now we’ve shot ourselves in the foot once again (a national past time), where will the social media lynch mob move onto tomorrow? A Truly pathetic witch hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

First Up wrote: »
    Ireland in general. From Brussels' (and UVDL's) perspective, they gave our nominee maybe the most important job in the Commission. Now they have to clean up after him.

The Brexit Trade talks all but collapsed last week while he was boozing with mates in Galway. He was doing a shockingly bad job.

Advertisement