Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Resign, resign resing, that's all some people ever demand. If we had that we would be having an election every 3 months. I am guessing the ultra-left would love that.

The "ultra-left" That must be harder than the hard left. How hard would you say - on a scale of 1 to well-hard?

Listening to media reports the condemnation of this disregard of regulations seems to be across all sections of society including the elderly, mature and probably more conservative sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The "ultra-left" That must be harder than the hard left. How hard would you say - on a scale of 1 to well-hard?

Listening to media reports the condemnation of this disregard of regulations seems to be across all sections of society including the elderly, mature and probably more conservative sections.

I'm part of the throbbing veiny member left myself

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Irish water was and still is a great idea.

But it was poorly managed, bloated with external consultants. The local councils were unchanged still doing the work on the ground.

And let's not forget the cronyism of selling off Site Serv at a knock-down price to DoB. (Well done Catherine Murphy on her campaign to expose and challenge this)

I'll condemn Hogan for his refusal to act on environmental issues - e.g. refusing to bring in a deposit return scheme for drinks containers.
    I'd would really like see him get egged.

[edit] Not suggesting Phil was part of the site-serv scandal - just a component to the IW omnishambles.

LillySV wrote: »
    This man had fuct Irish people over for years. I forget what it was but he made some deal around a month or two ago which was totally against all Irish peoples interests... even annoyed the govt... does anyone here remember what exactly happened again ??? Hard to find story with all the current events!

You may be thinking of Mercosur - EU trade deal. More cheap brasillian beef heading to europe more german tech heading to Sth Am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Although European Commissioners are nominated by Member State governments, they are not appointed by them and they cannot dismissed by them. The Commission as a whole can be dismissed by the Parliament, but I don't think the Parliament has the power to dismiss invidual Comissioners. It could, I suppose, threaten to dismiss the entire Commission if an individual Commissioner did niot resign.

I don't know whether the President of the Commission can fire an individual Commissioner, but she could certainly request him to resign. And she could effectively force him to resign by reallocating portfolios within the Commission so that he had nothing to do.

But none of this really matters. The only reason we notice Hogan's transgression is because he is Irish, and it happened here. When was the last time you heard about a personal transgression of another European Commissioner that had nothing to do with the discharge of his functions? Hogan's attendance at this dinner won't even be a blip in the news cycle outside Ireland, and it won't bother the Commission or the Parliament. It has nothing at all to do with his job as Commissioner with responsibility for Agriculture and Rural Development.

Nail on the head. This won't be news outside of Ireland and Hogan will continue on. We have bigger problems at home anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wouldn't want to be the unfortunate person tasked with asking him to consider his position

Yeah, I'd imagine it'd be a similar experience to this guy's:

Father-Ted-9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yeah, I'd imagine it'd be a similar experience to this guy's:

Father-Ted-9.jpg

HULK SMASH! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Dav010 wrote: »
    In time, the necessity for Irish Water will be obvious to even the most opaque of minds, but I do agree the roll out was an example of how not to get the country to buy into paying for a service that is essential to their wellbeing.

Yes, we got lucky it was a wet summer, otherwise the wake up might have come this year.
    The supply in Dublin is on a knife edge, so you could have had HSE telling everyone to wash and clean stuff like mad but extremely limited water available to do that. Quite a shít show.
    The coronavirus would not really care about all the deeply principled and theoretical objections to Irish Water + water charges people bring up (nothing to do with anger at govt. + likes of "Big Phil" reaching into my pockets for a new tax at all - oh no sir!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nail on the head. This won't be news outside of Ireland and Hogan will continue on. We have bigger problems at home anyway.

There are plenty of outside news agencies covering the story. In brief I would imagine but still covered

There are plenty of outside news agencies covering the story. In brief I would imagine but still covered
    C4 news had a good long segment on it last night.

• Advertisement

C4 news had a good long segment on it last night.

New York times covered it

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Yurt! wrote: »
    I think we all understand the difference between Sandra the hairdresser from Newbridge breaking lockdown, and one of the most powerful poltical figures in Europe flaunting anti-pandemic measures during one of the most devastating economic and health events in decades.

Also, apparently Hogan had to issue a written apology to a staffer of John Bruton following a sexually charged comment he made to her at an Oireachtas golf outing at the same venue (see last two paragraphs of linked article). Connemara golf trips have not been kind to the blockhead.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/you-knackers-well-put-manners-on-you-phil-hogans-threat-to-our-journalists-29105543.html?fbclid=IwAR2qaSXfrx8dftpHQF-oBmT5fkrxVlNHeTOOW306_HTqHKsCXc73CKmxO64

As an aside from his disgusting comment... who did that staffer think she was stopping a minister and telling him not to “screw her” because she owned a loads of investment properties? It’s an insight into the mindset of these people who hang around these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

ah lads the shame of it

The big names of Golfgate are all high up in google suggestions today as well.
    This story has legs, and it just keeps giving too.

ah lads the shame of it

Reuters ie one of the most respected media organisations on the planet had 3 articles on it

https://www.reuters.com/places/ireland

How popular is Reuters?

"Each day, Reuters news is read and seen by more than 1 billion people worldwide through multiple platforms"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yes, but rundown properties are renovated and used as either rental properties or sold on, they are not purchased and lived in within a few days, this company was selling a pipe dream with no pipes.

How does water get to houses?

With a crazy amount of it leaking out and being wasted along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And on the subject of big Phil, he has no worries about resignation, he will just brazen it out and head back to mainland Europe. Free dinners are nothing new to him, they are a perk of the job, put it on the expenses. Entitled entitled entitled.

I thought the best part at the golf shindig was Big Phil winning a prize. Just imagine that scene, a room full of FFG councillors, TDs and Senators all lickspittling and fawning over Trickle Hogan, 'oh Phil you're so great, here we want to give you a prize to honour your greatness' :rolleyes:

We really are led by a bunch of donkeys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Justice for the Cliften 81

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Could be a private well, or bottled water, like the people of Galway, I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but it is too intrusive, like the TV licence being switched to a receiving device licence, so you need a phone or PC license in theory, it's all about control, but only the same people trying to be the puppet masters.

• Advertisement

Could be a private well, or bottled water, like the people of Galway, I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but it is too intrusive, like the TV licence being switched to a receiving device licence, so you need a phone or PC license in theory, it's all about control, but only the same people trying to be the puppet masters.

The people of Galway have private wells?

It’s about water getting to your house through an upgraded water system that reduces leakage. It’s not intrusive, it’s a necessity, having a television isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The big names of Golfgate are all high up in google suggestions today as well.
    This story has legs, and it just keeps giving too.

It's still media silly season, anything can get legs and run for days or weeks. The media are desperate for stories as the standard covid stuff is boring and with most courts and most political offices not sitting (worldwide) there's little titillation for the readers.

Normally some ridiculous cancer scare gets headlines, or some cat stuck up a tree, so politicians, judges and a private golf event is like manna from heaven.

Funny thing is if FF had stayed with the normal announcements of new restriction to Fridays taking effect the following Monday leke FG did it would have been fine.

But this constant kneejerk reaction without any thought to a common sense approach caused this. The stupidity of announcing new restrictions on Tuesday to take effect "immediately" and without any notice was a joke in itself.

The people of Galway have private wells?

It’s about water getting to your house through an upgraded water system that reduces leakage. It’s not intrusive, it’s a necessity, having a television isn’t.

But isn't that what taxes are for, this is just a money making exercise, if they are at that sort of thing, why don't they open it up, and accept tenders for provision of service, the way they did it is not competitive, they want a monopoly, like Montgomery Burns blocking out the sun in the Simpsons. They are skint because of their own mismanagement, selling natural gas, and fishing rights, and closing sugar factories, this is a small island, it could almost be self sufficient, Norway have a trillion dollar oil fund, which is a big number, it is a one, followed by thirteen zeros. That is used for the good of society, and provides a high standard of living, as is the norm in Scandinavia. In this country, they would have sold it to a private company, and spent the tank on pints of Guinness and jolly ups for the boys, I don't know who negotiated the giving up of a lot of our resources, but whoever it was should be done for treason. Hogan is party to it now. He is influential at EU level. Peter Sutherland was another economic fat cat who had a free hand to chuck away our sovereignty and make us all into good little Europeans

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Is this ridiculous thread still going?

Sound and fury...little else.

Pelezico wrote: »
    Is this ridiculous thread still going?

Sound and fury...little else.
    Yeah still going. I hope you paid get overtime, P :p

But isn't that what taxes are for, this is just a money making exercise, if they are at that sort of thing, why don't they open it up, and accept tenders for provision of service, the way they did it is not competitive, they want a monopoly, like Montgomery Burns blocking out the sun in the Simpsons. They are skint because of their own mismanagement, selling natural gas, and fishing rights, and closing sugar factories, this is a small island, it could almost be self sufficient, Norway have a trillion dollar oil fund, which is a big number, it is a one, followed by thirteen zeros. That is used for the good of society, and provides a high standard of living, as is the norm in Scandinavia. In this country, they would have sold it to a private company, and spent the tank on pints of Guinness and jolly ups for the boys, I don't know who negotiated the giving up of a lot of our resources, but whoever it was should be done for treason. Hogan is party to it now. He is influential at EU level. Peter Sutherland was another economic fat cat who had a free hand to chuck away our sovereignty and make us all into good little Europeans

I suspect you are from Galway and talking about the Tuam sugar factory, they closed the two factories because they were inefficient and loss making. If you can buy a kg of imported sugar for less than the cost of making it here, that I s the way commerce works, the factory closes.

It’s astonishing after all the publicity about this that you think tax intake will pay for this. A substantial part of the water system in Ireland is over 100 years old and made of old, leaking pipes. Though parts are relatively new, if the water has to pass through the old parts, enormous amounts of water are lost. Replacing it will cost billions and take years, the reason for the water charges was to pay for this without raising taxes or borrowing billions. It was the fairest and most equitable way as you got your free allowance and then paid only what you used from the meter to your home.

What private company would be stupid enough to take on the mammoth replacement of the existing pipe work in the hope that people would then pay for their water afterwards? Do you think it should be a philanthropic exercise? spend billions and get no return.

Those “good Europeans” bailed us out buddy.

Our grandchildren will be born in debt and die in debt, because of mismanagement. I have no issue paying for services, but everything in this country is priced up at the high end. Everyone has bills, but why bother to make an effort when the risk is high with no guarantee of return, everyone is saddled with debt, because to get off the ground in any enterprise, involves massive overheads, so private enterprise is not encouraged. Ideas without financial backing are useless, so a creative mind is seen as a negative. Get a job pay the bills, settle into the routine for 40 years, there are no other options. The system is the way it is, and will never change. As for Europe, its a handy way for the Germans to take over without using the jack boots, look what they did to the Greeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

it flows.
    It’s astonishing after all the publicity about this that you think tax intake will pay for this. A substantial part of the water system in Ireland is over 100 years old and made of old, leaking pipes. Though parts are relatively new, if the water has to pass through the old parts, enormous amounts of water are lost. Replacing it will cost billions and take years, the reason for the water charges was to pay for this without raising taxes or borrowing billions. It was the fairest and most equitable way as you got your free allowance and then paid only what you used from the meter to your home.

What private company would be stupid enough to take on the mammoth replacement of the existing pipe work in the hope that people would then pay for their water afterwards? Do you think it should be a philanthropic exercise? spend billions and get no return.

Those “good Europeans” bailed us out buddy.

It's a Phil Hogan thread, when he was Minster for the Environment he actually had a duty as Minister to protect the quality of drinking water, a duty he neglected. He is a negligent piece of work and I am glad he spends less time sharing the air I breath and no longer has a say in our water.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Irish water was and still is a great idea.

ya it went very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Our level of gas find is miniscule and we have never found a commercial oil reserve. The amount of money exploration companies (not funding from taxes) put into drilling and exploration is in the BILLIONS and virtually no returns. On top of that, many of the well paid workers on the platform paid Irish taxes and also used Irish suppliers / transport, so we've been a net gainer from that.

Problem is PBP and Sinn Fein will never tell you this because it does not suit their agenda.

Then you mention scandinavian model but fail to show the very high level of taxes they pay - not just their equivalent of personal PAYE and PRSI, but companies also pay a very high level of social taxes.

Considering the masses here would not pay €200 for improving their water supply, there's zero chance of paying the tax level of scandinavia.

And the funny thing is, if you were unemployed in scandinavia, your social welfare benefits would be substantially lower than here.

But sure never mind facts

Advertisement