Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely there is some mechanism for the removal of a senator who has not been elected but either proposed by the Taoiseach who I would assume can withdraw their nomination or via a panel who also should have the mechanism of removal?

No. And TDs via the Panel system are elected, albeit from an insanely restricted electorate.

They're there til the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah sure I suppose you'll be happy for the country in the Brexit negotiations when the Irish Phil has been replaced by the French or Dutch or Greek version of Phil. I'm sure that those versions will be more worried about Ireland than the original Phil was.

You should always be careful what you wish for in case you get it!

Maybe you should have read my post.

Hogan.

Doesn't.

Give.

A.

Damn.

About.

Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Just watching him there on 9 O Clock News.

Jesus, the man still doesn't seem to get it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

He resigned of his own accord.

My arse he did.

boardise wrote: »
    A sizable number seem to be in the grip of a collective neurosis.
    Those who predicted mental health problems arising out the virus scene have been proved horribly right .

There's definitely something up, think it pre-dates the virus though. The anger on here and on social media has become unmoored from reality, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First Up wrote: »
    It won't be written down but you can be sure she has thought about it.

Why would she have thought about it? There is no precedent for it.

It is not a national cabinet. You get a role for 5 years and if you go, your country nominates a replacement to the same role. Happens for all resignations and also happened when a Commissioner was actually sacked.

We'll be keeping Trade unless we nominate an utter donkey; and Hogan holed himself under the water line with his constant revision of statements over the weekend so was effectively useless in the role anyway. The hand wringing over this as if it is in any way damaging to remove a now useless Commissioner is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

touts wrote: »
    The Brexit Trade talks all but collapsed last week while he was boozing with mates in Galway. He was doing a shockingly bad job.

Sure himself and Barnier are the just the mouth pieces of the Brexit saga. Come next month the heads of the EU27 and the U.K. will hammer out a deal and Barnier will get passed over for the job he’s been hoping for since this ****show began!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

My sympathy for him is at a trickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Had big Phil remained in Irish politics he would no doubt have taken over from his old pal Enda and would currently be Taoiseach or tainiste now wouldn’t that have been something if he was in that position during golfgate, or had he been voted in as the chief of the WTO would he have been forced to resign?
    Leo is a complete chancer who somehow managed to fall into the position of Taoiseach he’s not even in the top 5 FG politicians and has a poor track record as a minister, he’s deluded if he thinks he would ever get a leadership position in EU
    I’m not defending big Phil but he has lost his job over this yet many senators and an entitled skumbag of a judge don’t get punished at all, hardly seems fair?

Don’t think he would’ve made Taoiseach, whatever anyone wants to say about our previous Taoiseach, they are are all intelligent people, apparently he is not particularly bright. Being a big thick ignorant bully does not make you competent but will get you places, however you will get found out eventually if you are promoted beyond your means. Yes, the response will be “but but he made it to EU commissioner”. He defines what is known as the Peter Principle, I think this was his destiny from the outset. The man is an idiot. Good riddance to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Still Smirking....says it all....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I broke no law.....mobile phone when driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just watching him there on 9 O Clock News.

Jesus, the man still doesn't seem to get it at all

It’s irrelevant- so where will the baying lynch mobs move onto next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Great result. Now who's next? This is better than Love Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I hope remembers to self isolate when moves back from Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Akabusi wrote: »

The judge has to be next?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,315 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing at all to do with the Covid issue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Always knew he was an arrogant arse hole, delighted he's gone!

If you watched the interview you might come to realise that hes not actually arrogant at all.

He really doesn't give a crap about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Feckin wish Tony Connelly threw that back at him:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

road_high wrote: »
    Now we’ve shot ourselves in the foot once again (a national past time), where will the social media lynch mob move onto tomorrow? A Truly pathetic witch hunt.

This. I’m disgusted that he has been hounded out of office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

He's delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So the media witch hunt prevailed and Ireland is down a trade commissioner at EU level during a time of Brexit and Covid. Well done sheep!

Akabusi wrote: »

This is society today..

Mob style incessant hounding and fighting and aggro and wanting people to fail and hurt and suffer.

It has nothing to do with accountability and transparency, like people would like you to believe..

Trial by media witch-hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

First bit of truth from Hogan there,

"I spent the whole day with the President seeing how we could support each other"

That's what happens, how the hell do we come out of this with both of our integrity intact.
    Only ever one answer.

walshb wrote: »
    Nothing at all to do with the Covid issue..

He attended a dinner with 80 others when the restrictions put a max of 6 people on indoor events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

He keeps saying he didn't break any laws. So he isn't including the driving while on the phone, as one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Irish examiner reporting Simon Coveney in line for the job albeit he's no commissioner, wonder will his government merc and driver be an obstacle, not sure he can bring them with him. Might be a good choice if only to save €1 million a year placating his hypocrisy.

So the bilderberg plan is real. Interesting. Oh crap.
    Phil was a local crony which did a deal with the devil regarding water for his position.
    Covney has been groomed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilderberg_meeting#Criticisms_and_conspiracy_theories
    Partly because of its working methods to ensure strict privacy and secrecy,[34] the Bilderberg Group has been criticised for its lack of transparency and accountability.[35] The undisclosed nature of the proceedings has given rise to several conspiracy theories.[36][16][37] This outlook has been popular on both extremes of the political spectrum, even if they disagree about the exact nature of the group's intentions. Some on the left accuse the Bilderberg group of conspiring to impose capitalist domination,[38] while some on the right have accused the group of conspiring to impose a world government and planned economy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Holier than thou rubbish. Can guarantee if you drive you in all likelihood broke rules at some stage, inadvertently or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So who’s head is the next one on the plate!

• Advertisement

He attended a dinner with 80 others when the restrictions put a max of 6 people on indoor events.

Look again at what I quoted from you...

Advertisement