Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

touts wrote:
    The Brexit Trade talks all but collapsed last week while he was boozing with mates in Galway. He was doing a shockingly bad job.

Brexit wasn't his job. That's Barnier. The post- Brexit EU-UK trade negotiations were his bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

So the media witch hunt prevailed and Ireland is down a trade commissioner at EU level during a time of Brexit and Covid. Well done sheep!

Keep tipping the cap to your betters no matter what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nothing in (public) life became him as much as his leaving of it.

road_high wrote: »
    Now we’ve shot ourselves in the foot once again (a national past time), where will the social media lynch mob move onto tomorrow? A Truly pathetic witch hunt.

Said this from the beginning. An unmerciful witch-hunt . I don’t like Phil Hogan but he was essential in Brussels as European Commissioner. We are a stupid small minded nation at times. Hounds baying for blood, they will soon move on to their next victim. This new “cancel culture” was also responsible for the resignation of Bord Failte CEO, probably the most qualified person that job has ever had .

Same people will be screaming and shouting at the “gubbermint” in a few months when tourism is on its knees and when the farmers are dealing with crop shortages due to flooding and storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

"Water will be turned down to a trickle".
    Lovely guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Great choice. The Brutons, even though only humble farmers, speak French don't you know!!

Mairead McGuinness is IMO the outstanding candidate but busy in her current role.

Richard Bruton

Enda Kenny

Leo can see he'll have another crack at Taoiseach in the not too distant future.

Can't think of any obvious Fianna Fail candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Keep tipping the cap to your betters no matter what they do.

Inferiority complex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Where s the SEAMUS WOLFE MUST RESIGN thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I think that proves the one commissioner spot is a chums reward/foes dumping ground rather than a strategic choice for a nation's govt giving the role to the best of us.

Sigh.

All of a sudden there's 10-15 names in the running.

Were blessed with statesmen and women

This morning Verona Murphy was telling us that Phil couldn't be done without.

Inferiority complex

I know. Ye need to mature. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,094 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is blaming people for the distraction from what he did has caused.....zero humility or decency.
    F#ck him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This. I’m disgusted that he has been hounded out of office.

Yeah he was so sound.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1298703998736793600?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

L1011 wrote:
    Why would she have thought about it? There is no precedent for it.

She will have assessed all of them and have a view of who she rates and otherwise. She is their boss. Its her job to think about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

touts wrote: »

He is now in a completely untenable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

touts wrote: »

I'd say it will be up shortly along with Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,316 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS, if you look into it deeply, you could probably find every person on the island has breached the guidelines one way or the other..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Can anyone remember anything previous Irish commissioners did?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

walshb wrote: »
    This is society today..

Mob style incessant hounding and fighting and aggro and wanting people to fail and hurt and suffer.

It has nothing to do with accountability and transparency, like people would like you to believe..

Trial by media witch-hunt.

No, it's called democracy.

People at the top break the law and guidelines.

They are held to account by the media.

People voice their opinions.

Maybe we should let Rupert take over all our media outlets so we can have a pretend democracy.

Democracy is about much more than voting, it's also about accountability.

Terrible to see how many people on here despise it, but I guess that what happens to the FFFGers when they are in terminal decline at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    He already waived both his TD & Ministerial salaries:

https://www.thejournal.ie/phil-hogan-salary-eu-commissioner-1665311-Sep2014/

While employed in Eu.
    He will be applying for them both now i can guarantee you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Holier than thou rubbish. Can guarantee if you drive you in all likelihood broke rules at some stage, inadvertently or otherwise

Stop talking crap. Almost all of us have broken rules when driving. That's not what happened here. He did it in front of a Garda, who represents our agreed rules and sanctions, and he got let off.
    I'm one of those whose only points came from being caught on a mobile phone. I paid the fine, (even though the Garda bagsed up my name on the summons), paid higher insurance also, for 3-4 years.
    He got caught is the point, and was let off on that substantive issue.

• Advertisement

FFS, if you look into it deeply, you could probably find every person on the island has breached the guidelines one way or the other..

I wouldn't think you'd even have to look that deeply between the various attendances at funerals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,316 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Zebra3 wrote: »

Maybe we should let Rupert take over all our media outlets so we can have a pretend democracy.

Terrible to see how many people on here despise it, but I guess that what happens to the FFFGers when they are in terminal decline at the ballot box.

I get this. And I am usually a stickler for rules and regulations and laws..

This affair was ridiculously blown out of proportion..

I imagine the majority of us have not done anything remotely similar to Hogan. He's also a public representative which means he's supposed to hold himself to a higher bar...

Great post. Their blinkers are stuck on with superglue!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can anyone remember anything previous Irish commissioners did?

Flynn and Sutherland are both fairly memorable. One became President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

gmisk wrote: »
    He is blaming people for the distraction from what he did has caused.....zero humility or decency.
    F#ck him!

A man without morals. Cheerio trickle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Gotta love him, still lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mairead McGuinness is IMO the outstanding candidate but busy in her current role.

Richard Bruton

Enda Kenny

Leo can see he'll have another crack at Taoiseach in the not too distant future.

Can't think of any obvious Fianna Fail candidates?
    Dara Calleary?looking for a job at the mo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

End of the day he had one of ,most coveted roles in Europe. The world was his oyster and he literally screwed it all up for a game of golf.
    It's hard to feel sorry for him with the way things went but it's the right thing to do. Better late than ever. Best of luck Phil.

https://twitter.com/Caolanmcaree/status/1298713190889447427?s=20

• Advertisement

Not as blatantly as this.

Advertisement