Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So who’s head is the next one on the plate!

It’ll be onto the next one tomorrow for sure. Social media has turned into the modern version of witch burnings. Key pads instead of pitchforks

• Registered Users Posts: 56,315 ✭✭✭✭walshb

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Stop talking crap. Almost all of us have broken rules when driving. That's not what happened here. He did it in front of a Garda, who represents our agreed rules and sanctions, and he got let off.
    I'm one of those whose only points came from being caught on a mobile phone. I paid the fine, (even though the Garda bagsed up my name on the summons), paid higher insurance also, for 3-4 years.
    He got caught is the point, and was let off on that substantive issue.

And Gardai have discretion here..

I know several people who were treated the same..

Can’t stand this “I suffered, so you have to” attitude..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

road_high wrote: »
    It’s irrelevant- so where will the baying lynch mobs move onto next week?

Jim O Callaghan? Didn't he back the loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

walshb wrote: »
    I get this. And I am usually a stickler for rules and regulations and laws..

This affair was ridiculously blown out of proportion..

Absolutely. It's gone on too long. They should all have resigned within 24 hours. Bunch of arrogant, dangerous people, down to the last person. Not suitable for public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

L1011 wrote: »
    Flynn and Sutherland are both fairly memorable. One became President.

Achievements.?

The EU is run by Germany and France. The Commissioners are just jobs for the boys and gives an illusion of spreading the power.

His loss isn't that big as is being made out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mairead McGuinness is IMO the outstanding candidate but busy in her current role.

Richard Bruton

Enda Kenny

Leo can see he'll have another crack at Taoiseach in the not too distant future.

Can't think of any obvious Fianna Fail candidates?

Mairead would jump at it and would have the full blessing of the Parliament - she is a class act. Intelligent, articulate, tough when she to be and extremely personable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Phil has resigned He took hime time but better late than never.

I will now bow out of this thread, now that the thread question has come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Imagine hogan was as good a politician as messi or Ronaldo are as footballers (I’m not saying he is), both of those lads would be forgiven their foibles or little breaking of the rules.....you’d still want them in your team I bet.

Hogan could be a very very well thought of pol and the best man for the job but irish people being as they are would still rather stick it to him and get their little victory and all the opposition parties jumping all over it with there shock and horror!

Such pantomime BS all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Richard Bruton would be an excellent choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

This is society today..

Mob style incessant hounding and fighting and aggro and wanting people to fail and hurt and suffer.

It has nothing to do with accountability and transparency, like people would like you to believe..

Trial by media witch-hunt.

How did MM avoid the same treatment considering he did not self isolate for 14 days after returning from Brussels? Negative tests were enough for him.

Go for him next outrage mob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First Up wrote: »
    She will have assessed all of them and have a view of who she rates and otherwise. She is their boss. Its her job to think about these things.

She won't have done anything to any extent of planning a reshuffle as they do not happen

A previous Commissioner was basically fired (last second resignation I believe), (full and important - Health) Commissioner post retained by (very small) country.

A previous Trade Commissioner resigned, post retained by country.

Commissioners resign at the rate of a few per Commission usually. There is never a reshuffle. It is not a domestic cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Jim O Callaghan? Didn't he back the loser.

Unlikely. He didn’t have any misdirections I’m aware of. He stated Ireland is very likely to lose out by dumping the Trade commissioner portfolio. That is a fact and one we may get used to now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Zebra3 wrote: »
    No, it's called democracy.

People at the top break the law and guidelines.

They are held to account by the media.

People voice their opinions.

Maybe we should let Rupert take over all our media outlets so we can have a pretend democracy.

Democracy is about much more than voting, it's also about accountability.

Terrible to see how many people on here despise it, but I guess that what happens to the FFFGers when they are in terminal decline at the ballot box.

Liveline and social media outrage with no due process is not democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

FFS, if you look into it deeply, you could probably find every person on the island has breached the guidelines one way or the other..

Tell that to the people who don't break the rules to see their family members in care homes.

Who only get to see them for 30mins every week and sometimes have to make do with looking in the window.

They don't even contemplate breaking the rules in that situation and you try and excuse Phil Hogan with that argument.

Lackey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

How did MM avoid the same treatment considering he did not self isolate for 14 days after returning from Brussels? Negative tests were enough for him.

Go for him next outrage mob

Essential worker and not a tourist according to HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Can’t stand this “I suffered, so you have to” attitude..

Don't be a pure clown. How can it come to light that a politician was let off by a Garda or by Revenue? Wake up. It's 2020, not 1980.

To me, it's obvious why the data made its way from the Garda Commissioner to Minister. BECAUSE he was stopped and then let off. That discretion needs to have a very firm footing when challenged.

Can't stand this "I'm equal, in my own eyes to Phil Hogan and his like, just because I drool around them at functions' attitude.

For mobile phone usage while driving?? BULL****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭obi604

What do ye reckon Phil Hogan will do next? He probably has more than enough money X 2 to retire easily now.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Can anyone remember anything previous Irish commissioners did?

Running houses in Brussels, Dublin and Castlebar - try it sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

400 euro greens fees down in Adare Manor, bet he didn't spend a penny.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Essential worker and not a tourist according to HSE.

That is a viable reason to be fair

End of the day he had one of ,most coveted roles in Europe. The world was his oyster and he literally screwed it all up for a game of golf.
    It's hard to feel sorry for him with the way things went but it's the right thing to do. Better late than ever. Best of luck Phil.

It's not about feeling sorry for Hogan, it's about what's best for Ireland in the trade talks. What if Trade goes a french commissioner who support's France's views on our corporation taxes etc? Or someone who has ****-all knowledge of the border, or our trade etc. Hogan is an unpleasant guy, but does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ahh, I'm almost sad he resigned, there's no sport in hunting a corspe, lol. Never liked the man and while what he did was stupid and contemptuous, in the bigger picture I hope we haven't sabotaged upcoming trade negotiations.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Why that? He negotiated FTAs with China, Japan and South Korea.

Also seems like a decent lad, spent his time in office combatting people smuggling and took on Russia over the shot down airline. So not yet typical stand on the sidelines not wanting to upset anyone we’re used to!

He may have signed them as prime minister but Andrew Rob the trade minister done the negotiations.

He may have done some good things as Prime Minister but overall he was very unpopular and done well to last even the 2 years that he held the role for.

Here's one of the many videos of his gaffes. The man should never be allowed on camera

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/tony-abbotts-10-biggest-gaffes-clangers-and-cringeworthy-moments-20150311-140qnp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56,315 ✭✭✭✭walshb

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Don't be a pure clown. How can it come to light that a politician was let off by a Garda or by Revenue? Wake up. It's 2020, not 1980.

Can't stand this "I'm equal, in my own eyes to Phil Hogan and his like, just because I drool around them at functions' attitude.

What are you talking about?

Gardai do have discretion here, yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,093 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Does everyone believe that phil hogan was tested for Covid btw?
    I for one wouldn't put it past him to have made it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

obi604 wrote: »
    What do ye reckon Phil Hogan will do next? He probably has more than enough money X 2 to retire easily now.

I predict a Ryanair directorship by the end of September.

gmisk wrote: »
    Does everyone believe that phil hogan was tested for Covid btw?
    I for one wouldn't put it past him to have made it up

If he had a procedure done then yes he would have been tested. It's a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

L1011 wrote:
    Commissioners resign at the rate of a few per Commission usually. There is never a reshuffle. It is not a domestic cabinet.

We'll see. I hope you are right.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about?

Gardai do have discretion here, yes or no?

You know several people who got waved along when stopped for using the mobile phone when driving? Tell us more. How many? When? What reason did they let them off?

Advertisement