Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People talking about his replacement but is Ireland entitled to nominate another commissioner?

Also they won't get the Trade position which was a senior role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

obi604 wrote: »
    What do ye reckon Phil Hogan will do next? He probably has more than enough money X 2 to retire easily now.

Meat Industry Ireland are looking for a Covid19 special advisor. Only road warriors need apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Will everyone at the Storey funeral now follow suit, or are the rules different?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

obi604 wrote: »
    What do ye reckon Phil Hogan will do next? He probably has more than enough money X 2 to retire easily now.
    Probably spend some time with his 25 year old girlfriend I'd say.

I am sure he has plenty of contacts in the private sector after all his hob nobbing, he will get some well paid cushy number in the near future no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 56,304 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You know several people who got waved along when stopped for using the mobile phone when driving? Tell us more. How many? When? What reason did they let them off?

It’s of no relevance or business to you.

Gardai can use discretion. That is the point!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

gmisk wrote: »
    Does everyone believe that phil hogan was tested for Covid btw?
    I for one wouldn't put it past him to have made it up

Ya was thinking same.
    It was all abit too neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Does everyone believe that phil hogan was tested for Covid btw?
    I for one wouldn't put it past him to have made it up

Difficult to know and hard to clarify for confidentiality reasons...if he did,the Covid test would have been a pre-requisite for it happening,so probably entirely incidental,as Phil had said it wasn’t a planned procedure I.e. not sought for the purpose of being cleared to gallivant about the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Liveline and social media outrage with no due process is not democracy.

Isn't the "outrage" terrible when it's against one of your own?

Awful that social media and media outlets have banned anyone from expressing support for him.

astrofool wrote: »
    Will everyone at the Storey funeral now follow suit, or are the rules different?
    Your comparing people attending a funeral to phil hogan's gallivanting? Come on now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

walshb wrote: »
    It’s of no relevance or business to you.

Gardai can use discretion. That is the point!!!

You are full of it. Back up your nonsense statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If he had a procedure done then yes he would have been tested. It's a fact

Not necessarily so. My missus had an out patient -day procedure done in May and they checked her temperature but didn't give her a Covid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I broke no law says Phil Hogan!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

You know several people who got waved along when stopped for using the mobile phone when driving? Tell us more. How many? When? What reason did they let them off?

So if your brother was guard and pulled you, he’d do you for points? Grow up, we live in a nuanced world. Not everything is black and white.....firing questions like some major statement was made

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

"More Dates to be Announced" -27 August - Dubln Airporthogan4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I am sure he has plenty of contacts in the private sector after all his hob nobbing, he will get some well paid cushy number in the near future no doubt

Hes hardly going to go working as a construction labourer or maybe a job in a bakery.

His cv and experience will rightly land him another high powered important decision making role.

Ireland might rue this decision yet. Brexit is weeks away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I broke no law says Phil Hogan!!

What laws did he break...apart from using the phone while driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very different and mostly outdoors.

I also think that interview last night is what cost him.

He basically lied.

If he had appeared contrite and even admitted that he misunderstood the guidelines and genuinely thought his negative test cleared him to break isolation requirements then he may have had a chance but his arrogance and contempt showed through and he obviously lost public and political support and that sealed his fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Richard Bruton would be an excellent choice.

Especially with those abs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not necessarily so. My missus had an out patient -day procedure done in May and they checked her temperature but didn't give her a Covid test.

With all respect t's not May anymore. Procedure has changed. It's a fact now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your comparing people attending a funeral to phil hogan's gallivanting? Come on now....

rules are rules, gallivanting hasn't become illegal, yet, those at the golf are all falling one by one, go back a few months and the Storey gathering was brazened out by the same people calling for blood now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,304 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You are full of it. Back up your nonsense statement.

Back up my claim that Gardai can use discretion?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

With all respect t's not May anymore. Procedure has changed. It's a fact now.

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Imagine seeing Hogan's interview with RTÉ and then telling people on here that he's some sort of genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Barry Andrews says “it’s unlikely” ireland will hold trade portfolio- no **** Sherlocks.
    But thank god we are holier than thou and virtuous.

Who is next to go I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

They should of course. The amount of events that have pulled out excuses because they're different.
    You'd even have to question the Garda killing in Roscommon and even the tragic car crash in Donegal. Thousands of families have buried people in strained, sad circumstances. I don't see why low key affairs with crowds lining streets appropriately can't be done?? It's what decent, compliant rural people have done all across Ireland.
    It's less than enough for the bereaved families, but it's what we've all signed up to.

Tell that to the people who don't break the rules to see their family members in care homes.

Who only get to see them for 30mins every week and sometimes have to make do with looking in the window.

They don't even contemplate breaking the rules. In that situation and you try and excuse Phil Hogan with that argumen

Lackey.

I’m one of those , I see my mother through Perspex every few weeks , I also did lockdown completely alone along with thousands of others, missed trips abroad to see my only 2 kids. But i do NOT think Phil Hogan should have had to resign over this! He was wrong, he should have been sanctioned but that’s it.

We are incredibly small minded in this country. “Ive suffered so everyone else has to“ , people baying for blood when they barely know what the EU Trade commissioner does. The media also have a lot to answer for, Newstalk in particular , apart from Pat Kenny morning who sounded quite disturbed at the level of hostility in people.

Calling a poster a lackey for having an opinion that is different to yours is another example of the ****show of social media, cowards behind keyboards baying for blood.

I don’t like Phil Hogan but I don’t think he should have been witchhunted out of his job, we should have been proud to have had an Irishman as EU trade commissioner, we needed him there, but the “we’ve all suffered brigade “ won out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

rules are rules, gallivanting hasn't become illegal, yet, those at the golf are all falling one by one, go back a few months and the Storey gathering was brazened out by the same people calling for blood now.
    Not just the same people, it's FG and FF leading the blood curdlin call now

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

murpho999 wrote: »
    Very different and mostly outdoors.

I also think that interview last night is what cost him.

He basically lied.

If he had appeared contrite and even admitted that he misunderstood the guidelines and genuinely thought his negative test cleared him to break isolation requirements then he may have had a chance but his arrogance and contempt showed through and he obviously lost public and political support and that sealed his fate.

So breaking the guidelines once it’s a very different reason is okay? The whole news week taken up about one mans public job, like nothing else important in the world to mobilise people.....Small things Please small minds, I’m truly convinced of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

walshb wrote: »
    Back up my claim that Gardai can use discretion?🤔

You said you know several people that got caught using their mobile phone when driving and got off without a fine and points. I call bull**** on that. You made it up.

Advertisement