Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

murpho999 wrote: »
    People talking about his replacement but is Ireland entitled to nominate another commissioner?

Also they won't get the Trade position which was a senior role.

Yes, we are

And the standard, forever, when a Commissioner resigns is that the replacement gets the previous role. I have no idea where this "we won't keep trade!!!" panic has come from; except possible as false info being spread by Phil supporters.

If we don't keep Trade, it is breaking decades of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Can the Mods change the title of this thread please. To reflect rapidly changing circumstances.

To 'Phil Hogan needs a job'.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,304 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’m one of those , I see my mother through Perspex every few weeks , I also did lockdown completely alone along with thousands of others, missed trips abroad to see my only 2 kids. But i do NOT think Phil Hogan should have had to resign over this! He was wrong, he should have been sanctioned but that’s it.

We are incredibly small minded in this country. “Ive suffered so everyone else has to“ , people baying for blood when they barely know what the EU Trade commissioner does. The media also have a lot to answer for, Newstalk in particular , apart from Pat Kenny morning who sounded quite disturbed at the level of hostility in people.

Calling a poster a lackey for having an opinion that is different to yours is another example of the ****show of social media, cowards behind keyboards baying for blood.

I don’t like Phil Hogan but I don’t think he should have been witchhunted out of his job, we should have been proud to have had an Irishman as EU trade commissioner, we needed him there, but the “we’ve all suffered brigade “ won out.

Well said..

It’s the incessant mob mentality that surrounds us..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

road_high wrote: »
    Barry Andrews says “it’s unlikely” ireland will hold trade portfolio- no **** Sherlocks.
    But thank god we are holier than thou and virtuous.

It'd be hilarious if he ends up working for Boris or Trump, he'll have huge inside knowledge

You said you know several people that got caught using their mobile phone when driving and got off without a fine and points. I call bull**** on that. You made it up.

Ok..

My claim still stands. Gardai can use discretion..

Over and out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It's not about feeling sorry for Hogan, it's about what's best for Ireland in the trade talks. What if Trade goes a french commissioner who support's France's views on our corporation taxes etc? Or someone who has ****-all knowledge of the border, or our trade etc. Hogan is an unpleasant guy, but does that matter?

Agree, and its not about dancing on Hogan's grave either.

He was an unpleasant guy but he was our unpleasant guy. We need someone sympathetic to Ireland in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Imagine seeing Hogan's interview with RTÉ and then telling people on here that he's some sort of genius.

Genus. Some sort of genus..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Isn't the "outrage" terrible when it's against one of your own?

Awful that social media and media outlets have banned anyone from expressing support for him.

"One of your own"? Phil Hogan is not one of mine. Are you assuming that I am a blueshirt merely because I think it's bat**** insane that we lose the trade commissioner during an incredibly important time?

It may surprise you that people can look at the country's interest other than through a party political lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You know several people who got waved along when stopped for using the mobile phone when driving? Tell us more. How many? When? What reason did they let them off?

You believe that? My own son is in the force. I asked him about this he has never once just given a caution for mobile phone use. He also doesn't know of any of his colleagues that has either. He told me they are actively encouraged to come down hard on phone use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

walshb wrote: »
    Ok..

Over and out..

Garda discretion is one thing. Your claim to know several people that got off using a mobile phone when driving is bull**** and you know it. Caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I’m one of those , I see my mother through Perspex every few weeks , I also did lockdown completely alone along with thousands of others, missed trips abroad to see my only 2 kids. But i do NOT think Phil Hogan should have had to resign over this! He was wrong, he should have been sanctioned but that’s it.

We are incredibly small minded in this country. “Ive suffered so everyone else has to“ , people baying for blood when they barely know what the EU Trade commissioner does. The media also have a lot to answer for, Newstalk in particular , apart from Pat Kenny morning who sounded quite disturbed at the level of hostility in people.

Calling a poster a lackey for having an opinion that is different to yours is another example of the ****show of social media, cowards behind keyboards baying for blood.

I don’t like Phil Hogan but I don’t think he should have been witchhunted out of his job, we should have been proud to have had an Irishman as EU trade commissioner, we needed him there, but the “we’ve all suffered brigade “ won out.

He lied through his teeth to this Govt and his EU boss. Does he deserve a free pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

astrofool wrote: »
    Will everyone at the Storey funeral now follow suit, or are the rules different?
    While I would not be SF biggest supporter. you cannot compare a funeral to a glorified piss up. People will naturally want to pay respects at a funeral,etc and this is not limited to SF, you've got only to look at the Gardai funeral and the recent funeral in Donegal, people grieve and want to attend.

Garda discretion is one thing. Your claim to know several people that got off using a mobile phone when driving is bull**** and you know it. Caught out.

So, we agree..

They can use discretion ..

Super!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I imagine the majority of us have not done anything remotely similar to Hogan. He's also a public representative which means he's supposed to hold himself to a higher bar...

Not sure what Phil's core values were.
    Values-based public service
    Values form the foundation of the public service. Values are the collectively shared principles that guide judgement about what is good and proper. Values stated in public documents provide the basis for an environment where citizens know about the mission and the vision of public organisations and they also give overall guidance for daily public service operations.

https://www.oecd.org/gov/ethics/48994450.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

You believe that? My own son is in the force. I asked him about this he has never once just given a caution for mobile phone use. He also doesn't know of any of his colleagues that has either. He told me they are actively encouraged to come down hard on phone use.

Say a prayer he doesn’t catch you, of course he will do you for the phone. No exceptions or discretion

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

One thing that seems to have gotten lost in all of this is the Mercosur deal. General consensus in Ireland was that this was an incredibly bad deal for Europe on many counts. Signed off by Mr Hogan. So much for the theory that we've lost a great negotiator on our behalf with Brexit loomimg.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Its not just that he broke the rules, honestly if he had come out and apologised from the beginning, perhaps this would have gone differently. Instead, he has denied, lied and been arrogant throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Phil Hogan wasn't hounded out of his job - he lost his job because he lied to his boss more than once, supplying inadequate by omission reports of his movements not once but three times.
    He also lost the confidence of the govt of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

With all respect t's not May anymore. Procedure has changed. It's a fact now.

I had out patient procedure done 3 weeks ago. No covid test. Just temperature taken. In a kilkenny hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I know it. Walsh's claim to know several people is simply made up. Mobile phone usage when driving is extremely dangerous and has caused many crashes.

What is several these days? 6-8? Bull****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Ok..

Over and out..

Can they? I was actually looking for answers to this same question recently. There's no mention of discretion in the RTA 2006?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Hey Mr Hogan, on behalf of all the water protesters who passed away, I'd like to give you a Virtual two fingered salute. Up Yours truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Running houses in Brussels, Dublin and Castlebar - try it sometime!

Running a house in Brussels, Kilkenny and the K Club, it's a well paid job! Try it sometime!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Phil Hogan wasn't hounded out of his job - he lost his job because he lied to his boss more than once, supplying inadequate by omission reports of his movements not once but three times.
    He also lost the confidence of the govt of Ireland.

Do you really believe the govt lost his confidence?

Leo snd Martin simply bowing to the mob...nothing more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

L1011 wrote:
    If we don't keep Trade, it is breaking decades of practice.

Those decades didn't include negotiation of trade terms with a soon to be former member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

votecounts wrote: »
    While I would not be SF biggest supporter. you cannot compare a funeral to a glorified piss up. People will naturally will want to pay respects at a funeral,etc and this is not limited to SF, you've got only to look at the Gardai funeral and the recent funeral in Donegal, people grieve and want to attend.

But but but the regulations are the regulations! All these people in high office need to be held to account by people on twitter! Everyone should resign!

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Many of those angry at Phil Hogan et al specifically quoted only having a handful at funerals and being unable to physically comfort each other as a problem versus his attitude.

This is an inconsistent mob if funerals of provos and guards are exempt for some reason but not auld Bill from down the road's funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Can the Mods change the title of this thread please. To reflect rapidly changing circumstances.

To 'Phil Hogan needs a job'.
    Get Seetec onto him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Can anyone point to ANYTHING this former commissioner did for Ireland ?

Anyone??

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Meat Industry Ireland are looking for a Covid19 special advisor. Only road warriors need apply.

You really are one of the most consistent wittiest posters on Boards. I meant to say as consistently witty as a board. A thick wooden scaffolding board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Do you really believe the govt lost his confidence?

Leo snd Martin simply bowing to the mob...nothing more!!!

Do you think he told the truth?

Advertisement