Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Needhome wrote: »
    "negotiation experience with the British"???
    Sure we still being controlled by the brits today so dont know what your talking about.
    what law are we under? Eh common law is the answer.,an common law is british law.so our socalled law is unlawful .every last bit of it.
    And our socalled "government" that we have representing us sat back an allowed our country to be controlled by the british law.

What the hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So go ahead then, tell us how we, the Irish people, will lose out.

It's already been established that he a mé féiner and incompetent.

Neither of these have been established. Some people with axes to grind allege this, no more no less.

And you might have heard that there's thing called Brexit going on. Even if our next commissioner kept the trade portfolio, you have someone going in to major trade deal negotiations who has no experience of major trade deal negotiations. Hogan had this experience.

If there's a reshuffle, then there's a commissioner from some other country dealing with it. Some non-Irish commissioner will simply not have the same knowledge of Ireland and British border in Ireland as an Irish person. This could lead to a bad post-Brexit trade deal which does not adequately account for the unique situation Ireland finds itself in.

This has already been explained many times in the thread btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sure we still being controlled by the brits today so dont know what your talking about.
    what law are we under? Eh common law is the answer.,an common law is british law.so our socalled law is unlawful .every last bit of it.
    And our socalled "government" that we have representing us sat back an allowed our country to be controlled by the british law.

Adams negotiated and secured British rule safely for two decades now without amy sign of it ending.

All while been paid by the British.

Only one side laughing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Deep down I don’t think he lost the confidence of the Government , the Government were forced to play to the “we’ve all suffered “ brigade ! Lying is 2nd nature to all Government ministers, no matter what party , or at the very least being economical with the truth. Phil Hogan didn’t invent lying!

They were between a rock and a hard place. It was the PC thing to do. When one of their own Govenment ministers was also at the dinner and I’m sure plenty of his colleagues knew about it, and when Calleary resigned, they had no option but to go along with the outraged, foaming at the mouth , incensed mob. Media grabbed a hold of it and whipped the outrage into a frenzy! Our media have a lot to answer for, they did the same with CEO of Bord Failte 2 weeks earlier. This is Ireland.

We have suffered a huge loss not having an Irish minister as EU Trade Minister and time will prove this.

You all (wanting Hogan to remain as Trade Commissioner due to some ethereal favouritism to Ireland) are completely ignoring the reason he resigned was because his position was untenable due to his *own* lying and omissions.
    It really cannot be clearer than that.
    People either want accountability from those that put themsleves forward for public leadership and appointments or they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

walshb wrote: »
    So maybe he/she should simply say this..

Doesn’t change my claim..that Gardai can, and have used discretion..

They do but you can see from this what it leads to. One law for one, one for another. Dressed up as discretion.

He never expected to be stopped.
    https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1298360080111407104?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

So maybe he/she should simply say this..

Doesn’t change my claim..that Gardai can, and have used discretion..
    Does the cops use "discretion" with every normal joe in this cointry?no they dont. The cops are on a quota when on duty,its a buisness to them.even though their suppose to work for us the people that pays them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

WOW! DID NOT EXPECT THIS!!

524369.png

I predicted it!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

L1011 wrote: »
    She won't have done anything to any extent of planning a reshuffle as they do not happen

A previous Commissioner was basically fired (last second resignation I believe), (full and important - Health) Commissioner post retained by (very small) country.

A previous Trade Commissioner resigned, post retained by country.

Commissioners resign at the rate of a few per Commission usually. There is never a reshuffle. It is not a domestic cabinet.

Most recent example did end up in a reshuffle of sorts when the Bulgarian Commissioner took the World Bank job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Adams negotiated and secured British rule safely for two decades now without amy sign of it ending.

And it ain't Phil's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Do you really believe the govt lost his confidence?

Leo snd Martin simply bowing to the mob...nothing more!!!

The government never had his confidence. He lost theirs.

So we can safely assume that when you said 'several' people let off for driving while using a mobile phone, you meant yourself. In your bigged up fantasy version.

Confused.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

is_that_so wrote: »
    TDs can't really be fired, just ministers. I think the only circumstance is if there is a conviction. I recall a sentence of 6 months being the requisite but open to correction on that.

Apologies there, tbf I wasn't entirely clear.

What I meant is that these self serving politicians who think they're above the law keep getting reelected if they manage to make it to long-standing status (the post I replied to referred to long standing politicians). Ultimately we get the politicians we deserve because we elect them.

The other poster hoping that this marks some sort of change is prolly hoping for a lot IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭riddles

Tony connolly “hey Phil now that your going, do you think Ireland will retain the commissioner role!”

Phil “I Couldn’t give a monkeys toss ye got what ye wanted!”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TallyRand wrote: »
    So breaking the guidelines once it’s a very different reason is okay? The whole news week taken up about one mans public job, like nothing else important in the world to mobilise people.....Small things Please small minds, I’m truly convinced of that.

No but they're guidelines and it only happened once.

Phil Hogan broke rules on social distancing, self isolating, social gatherings,use of mobile phone whilst driving, entering and exiting lockdown areas.

He then went on TV and blatantly lied as he said it was on the citizen advice's website (funded by the HSE) that it's ok to cease isolating after a negative test result.

I'm really glad he's gone, not for personal reasons against him but I think it may be a watershed moment in Irish politics as this scandal has led to more resignations than I have seen before and I'm hoping it's setting a new standard of expectations from our politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Unless liveline was the phone line Ursula used to deliver the ultimatum, I very much doubt it had anything to do with his “resignation”

Our law was changed/forced on us well before adams was even born.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

is_that_so wrote: »
    Robert Watt maybe? In Department of Public Expenditure. I think Coveney would prefer to stay in DoF to see us through Brexit stuff, it's his baby now.
    Robert Watt is very capable I have met him a few times and seems pretty clued in. He is also on the board of the FAI as well as being a sec gen.

I think Richard Bruton probably the most likely and best suited candidate, he did a good job in jobs, enterprise and innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,300 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Does the cops use "discretion" with every normal joe in this cointry?no they dont. The cops are on a quota when on duty,its a buisness to them.even though their suppose to work for us the people that pays them.

No. They don’t use discretion in every case.

Vast majority cases sees the offender getting sanctioned..

I wouldn’t be the type to bitch and moan because someone else benefitted from this discretion..

The discretion applies to ALL..

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Complex, Hogan's successor needs to be :
    * acceptable to Irish polity
    * acceptable to the adhoc polity of the EU Comission
    * ideally serious enough to slot into the trade restyponsibill

Leo fits. but does Leo want?

Are there any betting odds on this (asking for a friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭embraer170

Most recent example did end up in a reshuffle of sorts when the Bulgarian Commissioner took the World Bank job.

Didn’t Bulgaria appoint someone in their early 30s with no experience outside of the classroom (university lecturer) and a short period as an MEP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Can't catch me doing something I wouldn't dream of doing. Plus I have a Bluetooth device in the car. Not that expensive, cheaper than 80 euro and a 3 point fine.

Congratulations, gold star for you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seriously what rubbish, just because our legal system may be based on British common law (which has happened in a lot of ex colonies) it does not mean that the laws are British.

Legisation in Ireland is set by the Oireachtas which is totally Irish.

gmisk wrote: »
    Robert Watt is very capable I have met him a few times and seems pretty clued in. He is also on the board of the FAI as well as being a sec gen.

I think Richard Bruton probably the most likely and best suited candidate, he did a good job in jobs, enterprise and innovation.

There is not a chance in hell that Robert Watt will get that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Neither of these have been established. Some people with axes to grind allege this, no more no less.

And you might have heard that there's thing called Brexit going on. Even if our next commissioner kept the trade portfolio, you have someone going in to major trade deal negotiations who has no experience of major trade deal negotiations. Hogan had this experience.

If there's a reshuffle, then there's a commissioner from some other country dealing with it. Some non-Irish commissioner will simply not have the same knowledge of Ireland and British border in Ireland as an Irish person. This could lead to a bad post-Brexit trade deal which does not adequately account for the unique situation Ireland finds itself in.

This has already been explained many times in the thread btw.

It has been established in this thread he is a mé féiner when during the Celtic Tiger Era he took a privileged loan for his own benefit instead of as a TD bringing the dodgy dealings of a bank to public attention.

It has also been established in this thread he is incompetent. His car crash RTÉ interview went well?

Nobody has given any evidence that Hogan remaining in his role would have benefited us apart from some assumption that he would be working for us, even though that's not his job. His past behaviour has shown he doesn't give a toss about the Irish people.

Any half-wit in a top job in the public eye would have seen a potential issue with the event in the hotel. Some had good judgement and left. But not Hogan The Hero. Yet here you are battling for ineptitude.

Edgware wrote: »
    Rubbish

Go back to sleep ffs🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

In fairness, back in the day pre McCabe, you could get waved through for no tax, or having kids in the front, or the odd bald tyre, or no seat belt and my favourite, going to my local barracks and getting the car tax off road declaration signed.
    Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

gmisk wrote: »

You had me sold until you mentioned the FAI.

Bruton is probably the soundest of them but he still likes their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭embraer170

Had Hogan issues a truthful and transparent apology on the first day this broke, he might have had a small chance of surviving this. His performance over the past days was however such a total disaster.

Plenty of lessons in crisis communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Late to the thread , good riddance to the entitled brazen eejit

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »
    Didn’t Bulgaria appoint someone in their early 30s with no experience outside of the classroom (university lecturer) and a short period as an MEP.

Yes. But they were told they were not keeping the VP job. Kristalina Georgieva is a heavy hitter (now head of the IMF) and the only one standing up to Martin Selmayr.

Advertisement