Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

embraer170 wrote: »
    Had Hogan issues a truthful and transparent apology on the first day this broke, he might have had a small chance of surviving this. His performance over the past days was however such a total disaster.

Plenty of lessons in crisis communication.

Whoever advises him should and probably is fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It has been established in this thread he is a mé féiner when during the Celtic Tiger Era he took a privileged loan for his own benefit instead of as a TD bringing the dodgy dealings of a bank to public attention.

It has also been established in this thread he is incompetent. His car crash RTÉ interview went well?

Nobody has given any evidence that Hogan remaining in his role would have benefited us apart from some assumption that he would be working for us, even though that's not his job. His past behaviour has shown he doesn't give a toss about the Irish people.

Any half-wit in a top job in the public eye would have seen a potential issue with the event in the hotel. Some had good judgement and left. But not Hogan The Hero. Yet here you are battling for ineptitude.

This patently not my assumption in the post you quoted. I'm not going to continue discussion with a bad faith poster so I'll leave it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

souter wrote: »
    Complex, Hogan's successor needs to be :
    * acceptable to Irish polity
    * acceptable to the adhoc polity of the EU Comission
    * ideally serious enough to slot into the trade restyponsibill

Leo fits. but does Leo want?

Are there any betting odds on this (asking for a friend)

Leo's main hobby is bowing down to any make of person more famous than him. Especially if they are outside of this country. Boris could invite him over to Downing St for a day, let him walk up the staircase that was in the film 'Love Actually'and take a selfie in exchange for doing exactly what Boris wants him to do and Leo would do exactly that. Leo is a good negotiator as Phil Hogan is good at getting the bluetooth to work in his 2020 Mercedes.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

embraer170 wrote: »
    Had Hogan issues a truthful and transparent apology on the first day this broke, he might have had a small chance of surviving this. His performance over the past days was however such a total disaster.

Plenty of lessons in crisis communication.

Unfair to expect that of him - he is designed to be a smug prick like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fann Linn wrote: »
    In fairness, back in the day pre McCabe, you could get waved through for no tax, or having kids in the front, or the odd bald tyre, or no seat belt and my favourite, going to my local barracks and getting the car tax off road declaration signed.
    Those were the days.

Wasn't some gombeen back in the day stopped by AGS while out of his bin and claimed immunity and that he was on the way to/from Dáil Éireann?

• Advertisement

You said you know several people that got caught using their mobile phone when driving and got off without a fine and points. I call bull**** on that. You made it up.

Sorry Hawthorn but the word "Naive" springs to mind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

This patently not my assumption in the post you quoted. I'm not going to continue discussion with a bad faith poster so I'll leave it here.

You have offered no evidence that he would work for us when the past has shown he doesn't care about us.

No wonder you don't want to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

astrofool wrote: »
    rules are rules, gallivanting hasn't become illegal, yet, those at the golf are all falling one by one, go back a few months and the Storey gathering was brazened out by the same people calling for blood now.

And those attending Garda Horkans funeral?

Where should the sacking and resignations end?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

souter wrote: »
    Complex, Hogan's successor needs to be :
    * acceptable to Irish polity
    * acceptable to the adhoc polity of the EU Comission
    * ideally serious enough to slot into the trade restyponsibill

Leo fits. but does Leo want?

Are there any betting odds on this (asking for a friend)

Not sure where you think there will be another Irish person behind the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously what rubbish, just because our legal system may be based on British common law (which has happened in a lot of ex colonies) it does not mean that the laws are British.

Legisation in Ireland is set by the Oireachtas which is totally Irish.

Wake up will ya,common law is common law,its origin is from england,fact is were still been ruled by british law. An pur socalled government is going by it. Our governement has ALWAYS bowed down to the british,an always will too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lots of salty blueshirt tears on this thread tonight. From the same type of people who have a sniggering regard for cronyism and cute hoors

• Registered Users Posts: 56,300 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sorry Hawthorn but the word "Naive" springs to mind here.

Indeed..

This poster wants me to print names of people...🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is not a chance in hell that Robert Watt will get that job.
    I know I was just stating my experience and opinion of him.
    It will in all likelihood go to a FG TD or possibly a FG MEP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

McMurphy wrote: »
    And those attending Garda Horkans funeral?

Where should the sacking and resignations end?

You won't get an answer to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

TallyRand wrote: »
    Congratulations, gold star for you

Thanks, much prefer not being an inconsiderate dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,300 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lots of salty blueshirt tears on this thread tonight. From the same type of people who have a sniggering regard for cronyism and cute hoors

I have no affiliation to any party.

It’s affiliations that actually have us all quarrelling and arguing..

In this particular case, I think it was blown way out of proportion ..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Needhome wrote: »
    "negotiation experience with the British"???
    Sure we still being controlled by the brits today so dont know what your talking about.
    what law are we under? Eh common law is the answer.,an common law is british law.so our socalled law is unlawful .every last bit of it.
    And our socalled "government" that we have representing us sat back an allowed our country to be controlled by the british law.

Wherever you read the bibble that's "informed" you here, you need to stop reading.

You don't understand what common law is, most importantly; but you're massively overestimating its importance.

gmisk wrote: »
    I know I was just stating my experience and opinion of him.
    It will in all likelihood go to a FG TD or possibly a FG MEP

What makes you think it is going to an Irish person?

You had me sold until you mentioned the FAI.

Bruton is probably the soundest of them but he still likes their policies.
    He has literally only joined I think end of July, give him a chance ha.
    Very little chance he would get it.

Bruton would be my choice as well tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Needs to be a clause in the next Commissioner's contract: 'Come home when you are called to by the government'.

Embarrassing episode all in all

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

I think you are out of proportion

Needs to be a clause in the next Commissioner's contract: 'Come home when you are called to by the government'.

Embarrassing episode all in all

Would not be vaguely acceptable to the EU; change of Government and they dislike the previous Comish for political reasons and whip them back? Never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I am very sad to see Mr Hogan leaving the EU commission.

He did nothing illegal and once he got the negative corona test he was no longer required to self quarantine

I am very disappointed with our government leaders that they withdrew their support for a very able and competent politician

He did great work on the EU - US trade deal.

He was a well respected negotiator

Ireland has lost a great friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

You mean the new Commissioner post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

^^ (Sorolla) Was wondering if you'd grace this thread again to comment LOL.:pac:

Sorolla wrote: »
    He did nothing illegal and once he got the negative corona test he was no longer required to self quarantine

He was still required to self-quarantine.

He read an article about an entirely different scenario and convinced himself it applied; and tripled down when it was pointed out that he was wrong. All contributing to why he had to go.

It has been made clear that in the event of Mr Hogan's resignation, or sacking by Ursula von der Leyen, the EU Commission president, Fine Gael will retain the right to nominate his successor. So yeah it will be someone Irish.

Simon Coveney is the favourite seemingly he has a good relationship with Barnier already which would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Why do you think that W? I don't think it was blown out of proportion at all, the entire country has been on strict lockdown since March, adhering to every sort of guideline they were told to, and all the pain and hurt and sorrow that has caused. Then you have these 81 doing whatever they want to, some of them the main draftees of the lock. The rage is real. You have Big Phil then coming out with more fairy stories than the brothers Grimm in order to save his neck thinking he is above everyone else. If that lad stayed in his position, the next protest against the lockdown in Dublin wouldn't just have a couple of hundred people outside the custom house, it would have had a a good couple of thousand on the streets, and half of them would have lit up the gaff. Hogan had to go, and it was all his own doing.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

They can use discretion..

And have done so, and not just to Phil Hogan..

Why are people struggling to accept this?

Agreeing with this post as walshb has had many challange them on this, especially by posters who appear to have legal and procedural knowledge.

Gardaí have discretion. Always have had and it is refered to in the code of ethics. The matter has been well trashed out on the Legal Forum (can't find the thread), specifically by a poster named GM228.

There are references to GSOC decisions on other forums too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

3 times in the interview he says I broke no law.

Even in defeat he won't give up on fact that he thinks he has done no wrong.

Advertisement