Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

It can't be one rule for the government and another for the rest of us, they either follow their own rules or they go

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

So the media witch hunt prevailed and Ireland is down a trade commissioner at EU level during a time of Brexit and Covid. Well done sheep!

Yeah because he really had our back for the mercosur deal!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

We really scored an own goal here and for what?

This whole golf gate saga was just used as a scapegoat for peoples anger, pain and frustration.

Peoples outrage at this had nothing to do with golfgate.

It is anger at Covid, an anger at the mismanagement of the response, particularly our delayed reopening of society which is a result of a dithering and indecisive government

Golfgate is not the reason the nursing homes got overrun, nor is it the reason you had to watch your grandads funeral on a webcam or didnt get to hold your dying moms hand.

Covid caused that and the tardy reaction of our government and obsession with taking advice from extremely cautious medical circles.

We need to wake the fcuk up and tackle the real issues or else we will never get over this. Tonight shows we are still in the hysterical, self damaging phase of this crisis, we need to move on quick

Peiple's outrage had nothing to do with golfgate? ??

Sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If they really want the Trade portfolio they might be able to persuade the EU with Kenny. Can't see any other realistic compromise option they and FF would take. FF will feel impotent if they can't get a candidate through. Maybe Lisa Chambers??? (insert multiple laughing emojis).
    It's FG s to fill. F.F. get it in 2024. That's the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

jm08 wrote: »
    The rules were relaxed though. No one was allowed attend a funeral of someone who died from Covid 3 months ago. No one was allowed play golf. No one could have a meal in a restaurant. Three months ago we were being told that masks were useless (actually we would be better off not wearing them), now that advice is different. If scientists/medics knew 3 months ago what we know now, things would more than likely have been a lot less restrictive.

True, they were relaxed, but the very night before this golf even the rules were tightened again. The likes of Hogan, O'Rourke, Woullfe, Hayes, knew all this, but they still went ahead with a gala dinner with 81 people that was out of bounds concerning the rules. The rules for everyone. That's what has the rage going. They should have known better, the fact they didn't know or didn't have the cop on to know they were going to be rumbled shows them up for the idiots they are. But yet "these guys are indespensible" then we find out Hogan can't even use bluetooth in his 2020 Merc. I mean, how can you defend this idiocy? You can't and you shouldn't because people aren't stupid like Hogan likes to think. If you do think it, you are heading for major trouble. Just like Phil.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

buried wrote: »
    But are these people the ones who wrote the rules? Are these people being paid multiple gold plated pensions and salaries by the Irish people to make the rules they expect everyone else to adhere to?

Kathy Sheridan in the Irish Times:
    So to be clear: 158 out of our 160 TDs did not attend the dinner.
    Nor did 53 out of 60 Senators. In other words 209 out of 218 Oireachtas “lawmakers” did not engage in the idiocy.

She makes the point that the impression given to the rest of the world is that 81 lawmakers were living it up in the West. It was 9 and the rest were retired politicians with their family and friends.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/kathy-sheridan-let-us-look-at-who-was-not-at-that-golf-dinner-1.4338647

Peiple's outrage had nothing to do with golfgate? ??

Sure

F.F. Happy to take a Blueshirt out. F.G. lining up Coveney for the job and have a Ministers job to fill for one of Leo's cronies

She makes the point that the impression given to the rest of the world is that 81 lawmakers were living it up in the West. It was 9 and the rest were retired politicians with their family and friends.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/kathy-sheridan-let-us-look-at-who-was-not-at-that-golf-dinner-1.4338647

But but but....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So any idea of runners and riders so to speak to replace Phil hogan as our EU commissioner ? I’m assuming it’ll be if not a political person, it will be someone of either the FF or FG gene pool.

Director of EIB Andrew McDowell is the name I read earlier. Former economic adviser to FG, knows Brussels

The rules were relaxed though. No one was allowed attend a funeral of someone who died from Covid 3 months ago. No one was allowed play golf. No one could have a meal in a restaurant. Three months ago we were being told that masks were useless (actually we would be better off not wearing them), now that advice is different. If scientists/medics knew 3 months ago what we know now, things would more than likely have been a lot less restrictive.

The rules had bee un-relaxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah fair play to the rest of them no doubt, but nine is nine too many. It should be none. What did they think was going to happen, "ahh shure we'll just say it was nine of us and a EU commisioner and we'll be grand lads" No.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Edgware wrote: »
    F.F. Happy to take a Blueshirt out. F.G. lining up Coveney for the job and have a Ministers job to fill for one of Leo's cronies
    The issue with that for FG would be would they win a by-election...who are they going to put forward? Buttimer? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gmisk wrote: »
    The issue with that for FG would be would they win a by-election...who are they going to put forward? Buttimer? Lol

They've nobody to win it there. Would hand the seat to some SF Cllr or failed wannabe Cllr.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

L1011 wrote: »
    They've nobody to win it there. Would hand the seat to some SF Cllr or failed wannabe Cllr.
    Yep exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

buried wrote: »
    I do fly, because it just would have gone on and on and on. I don't want to see it happen either but I wager it definitely would have. These anti lockdown protests have been garnering more people since the forty outside the four-courts back in April. The next one would have been huge numbers if Hogan had stayed, and we would have all seen some real trouble.

Fair enough. I would not have thought so.
    Of course I wasn't that exercised about him going and would not have felt the government could be fairly blamed by anyone for the outcome if he had remained in place. While the restrictions have been, and are painful and I wish they were gone I understand and accept the reasons. They also have not cost me my job or business etc. I admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I admit I never heard of Phil Hogan before this controversy.

But he does come across as that kind of fat-cat type of political socialite, where they are in it for themselves rather out of any kind of passion for the people they represent. That may be inaccurate and unfair, but that's the feeling I get.

And I have to say, and this forms my impression of him, I didn't like his resignation media piece today. He kept reiterating that he 'hadn't broken the law'. That was never the point and he knows it. I don't know if he lied or not , I haven't been following it that closely, but he certainly comes across as a clever manipulator of words to give an impression that is not entirely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

gmisk wrote: »
    generally the opposition win bye elections, won't want SF having technically the most seats in the house, Coveney should stay where he is and do the good job he has been doing

AllForIt wrote: »

Were you not paying much attention to politics or the media in 2013/14?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Can we change the title to Phil Hogan has resigned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

whodafunk wrote: »
    Can we change the title to Phil Hogan has resigned :)

No we want him to lose his pension now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,297 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No we want him to lose his pension now.

A public flogging some people would love...I’m serious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

One thing for sure - the next Irish EU commissioner will be female

The president of the EU commission insisted that each state nominate a female and a male candidate before the commission was formed

Leo only nominated Phil (as he was the best man for the job - especially with Brexit around the corner)

Uschi will now insist on a female

It will either be Mairead Mc Guinness or Helen McEntee.

If Leo was cunning he would nominate Mary Lou

I know I wasn't.

At that I had committed one of the classic blunders and become involved in a land war in Asia

Sorolla wrote: »
    If Leo was cunning he would nominate Mary Lou

You can't be nominated against your will, this isn't some surreal prison movie or something. She wouldn't take it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lots of salty blueshirt tears on this thread tonight. From the same type of people who have a sniggering regard for cronyism and cute hoors

Not worried about blueshirts or brownshirts or Phil Hogan's salty boxer shorts. I'm annoyed that Livelines swung the thing with 3 solid days of... and you couldn't kiss him goodbye, yeah, yeah, yeah, and you had to bury your Dad without a crowd , yeah, yeah, yeah,.. and tell us,.. when you heard about Golfgate... HOW DID IT MAKE YOU FEEEEEL...???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

golfball37 wrote: »
    Director of EIB Andrew McDowell is the name I read earlier. Former economic adviser to FG, knows Brussels

That would surprise me. His connections in Brussels would not be seen as very strong.

It is a political Commission so I am still thinking of the likes of Mairead or Simon Coveney or perhaps top pedigree technocrats such as Catherine Day (I am not sure Ursula would want her given her previous role) or at a very long shot David O’Sullivan (very capable but not close to Dublin). There would also be very strong diplomats who would be well regarded in Brussels (worked last time out with the U.K.). The key aspect now for Ireland is to be credible because we really have shot ourselves in the foot seeking this resignation and putting the Commission in a corner.

Frances Fitzgerald and Richard Bruton would be long shots also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Sawduck wrote: »
    It can't be one rule for the government and another for the rest of us, they either follow their own rules or they go

How many members of the government were at the dinner table ?
    I'm aware of one -who resigned the next day... the context being that he was a non-golfer who was there to pay respects to a deceased colleague.
    How is this being twisted into an anti-government narrative. They called for Hogan to resign .
    By all means offer criticism where justified but let's cease this vengeful exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

AllForIt wrote: »

But he does come across as that kind of fat-cat type of political socialite, where they are in it for themselves rather out of any kind of passion for the people they represent. That may be inaccurate and unfair, but that's the feeling I get.

Because that’s what the media reports want you to think obviously

Not worried about blueshirts or brownshirts or Phil Hogan's salty boxer shorts. I'm annoyed that Livelines swung the thing with 3 solid days of... and you couldn't kiss him goodbye, yeah, yeah, yeah, and you had to bury your Dad without a crowd , yeah, yeah, yeah,.. and tell us,.. when you heard about Golfgate... HOW DID IT MAKE YOU FEEEEEL...???

I'm pretty sure Joe/John was still on his extensive holliers on Monday; and it was actually Katie Hannon? So slightly less days of the yeahs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nope. I was off my head on crack cocaine regularly at that time period, if that's alright with you.

Advertisement