Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

boardise wrote: »
    How many members of the government were at the dinner table ?
    I'm aware of one -who resigned the next day... the context being that he was a non-golfer who was there to pay respects to a deceased colleague.
    How is this being twisted into an anti-government narrative. They called for Hogan to resign .
    By all means offer criticism where justified but let's cease this vengeful exaggerating.

It turned into an anti-government narrative when it emerged that several current and ex-members of the Oireachtas were present at the event. Provides an insight into their 'Fcuk the plebs' mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

walshb wrote: »
    Let it go..

Gardai can use discretion...

I know of persons who were let off with warning/caution..

Why are you so bothered that Gardai have this discretion?

Persons now. Is that less than several? Spoofer.

Were these makey uppy people driving while on the phone or jay walking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm not sure of the lies. I know that all the advice given is advice and not law. The only law is that you must fill in a form on arrival.

There was no law broken. He failed to adhere to health advice apparently by his own lapse or misunderstanding? That was my impression. Health advice does not equal law.

He is also required to update his whereabouts after filling in and signing that form.
    Actually, that begs the question, did anyone contact him over the 14 days? Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,297 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Persons now. Is that less than several? Spoofer.

Ha..

Still going on..

Your naivety was called out..And now you’re clutching with words and semantics..

Just admit it, and move on

I know of persons, or people; use whatever word you want, that were given cautions...

Person. One....

Persons. More than one.

“Several” persons/people: more than two persons

Try and follow..

I know of persons/people...

To be precise, for you...I know of three people who were given cautions for mobile phone use whilst driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Maybe you should have read my post.

Hogan.

Doesn't.

Give.

A.

Damn.

About.

Ireland.

Right. In your head at least. I'll come back and ask you how much you think his replacement with the trade portfolio cares about Ireland when that person is announced. I am sure that your reply will be something along the lines of "More than Phil Hogan".

As has been evidenced in the past few days, Hogan has been held accountable to the people of Ireland. How accountable to Joe Duffy would Cecilia Malmström be if she was be trade commissioner. The ironic thing is that you'll even have to google her name.

• Advertisement

Sorolla wrote: »
    One thing for sure - the next Irish EU commissioner will be female

The president of the EU commission insisted that each state nominate a female and a male candidate before the commission was formed

Leo only nominated Phil (as he was the best man for the job - especially with Brexit around the corner)

Uschi will now insist on a female

It will either be Mairead Mc Guinness or Helen McEntee.

If Leo was cunning he would nominate Mary Lou

Saoirse McHugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Right. In your head at least. I'll come back and ask you how much you think his replacement with the trade portfolio cares about Ireland when that person is announced. I am sure that your reply will be something along the lines of "More than Phil Hogan".

As has been evidenced in the past few days, Hogan has been held accountable to the people of Ireland. How accountable to Joe Duffy would Cecilia Malmström be if she was be trade commissioner. The ironic thing is that you'll even have to google her name.

She was trade Commissioner and I certainly don’t have to google her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AllForIt wrote: »
    Nope. I was off my head on crack cocaine regularly at that time period, if that's alright with you.

Probably had more fun than anyone who had to pay attention to politics then did.

But anyway, Phil was... not popular domestically at the time to put it mildly; and its quite likely he was sent to the Commission to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Saoirse McHugh?

I didn’t think of a Green Party Commissioner - however,
    it would be a major plus for Eamon if he got a member of the GP into the EU commission

It could happen

The Green Party is the glue that holds this FF FG coalition together.

Maybe the price for that glue will be the EU commissioner role

What about Catherine Martin?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Baseball72

Nominate Enda Kenny as the replacement commissioner....it would upset Leo no doubt, but Enda would, in my opinion, do an excellent job for us / EU.

• Advertisement

Baseball72 wrote: »
    Nominate Enda Kenny as the replacement commissioner....it would upset Leo no doubt, but Enda would, in my opinion, do an excellent job for us / EU.

Leo does the nomination here. FF get to do so in 2024.

It won't be the Greens as the posts above suggest

Ha..

Still going on..

Your naivety was called out..

Just admit it, and move on

I know of persons, or people; use whatever word you want, that were given cautions...

Person. One....

Persons. More than one.

“Several” persons/people: more than two persons

Try and follow..

I know of persons/people...

To be precise, for you...I know of three people who were given cautionsfor mobile phone use whilst driving!

3. Several is more.

It's still bull****. You made it up. These 3 friends dont exist.

But thrill me with some details...on what basis were they only cautioned and not fined and given penalty points? Why was their mobile phone usage deemed less dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

L1011 wrote: »
    Probably had more fun than anyone who had to pay attention to politics then did.

But anyway, Phil was... not popular domestically at the time to put it mildly; and its quite likely he was sent to the Commission to get rid of him.

So, my instincts of him even only over this last week or so are right then. One should always trust their instincts is my moto.

AllForIt wrote: »
    So, my instincts of him even only over this last week or so are right then. One should always trust their instincts is my moto.

You presumably also don't remember him resigning from the cabinet in 1995 for leaking the budget

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0209/678849-phil-hogan-resigns-following-budget-leaks/

3. Several is more.

It's still bull****. You made it up. These 3 friends dont exist.

But thrill me with some details...on what basis were they only cautioned and not fined and given penalty points? Why was their mobile phone usage deemed less dangerous?

Several is more than 2..

I know of three people..

And I don’t have to explain and give you details on them.

Simple: it happened. And it does happen. Can you acknowledge this?

I am betting there are posters here who also know of examples..

Stop being either obtuse to this, or naive..

Several is more than 2..

I know of three people..

And I don’t have to explain and give you details on them.

Simple: it happened. And it does happen. Can you acknowledge this?

I am betting there are posters here who also know of examples..

Stop being either obtuse to this, or naive..

Is Phil Hogan one of your 3?

Did the guards give a reason for letting them off?
    Almost 5,000 drivers were caught holding their mobile phones while driving by gardaí in the first two months of 2019, a 24 per cent increase on the same period last year.

Why did your imaginary several get off?
    The RSA said using your mobile phone when driving makes you four times more likely to crash.

Is Phil Hogan one of your 3?

Did the guards give a reason for letting them off?

Why did your imaginary several get off?

So now you aren’t agreeing that discretion can be used...!!

I can’t keep up with you. Your flipping and flipping like a flip flop?!

So now you aren’t agreeing that discretion can be used...!!

I can’t keep up with you. Your flipping and flipping like a flip flop?!

You are a liar. I know it. And you know it. Bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

A large, boisterous and blunt man, Mr. Hogan, a 6-foot-5 former farmer, was considered a good choice to represent Europe to the Trump administration, which has made the American trade deficit a major issue in international relations. The bilateral trade relationship is worth about $1 trillion a year.

“Personality matters, especially with the United States,’’ said Mujtaba Rahman, chief Europe analyst for the Eurasia Group. “He could deal with Trump and Robert Lighthizer,” President Trump’s trade representative, he said. Just last week, Washington and Brussels agreed on a tariff reduction deal — modest, but the first in a long time.

New York Times
    Brussels is desperate to build on the recent calming of transatlantic trade relations that the Irishman had been pivotal in orchestrating — Washington and the EU last week agreed on their first package of reciprocal tariff cuts in 20 years. 

The hope in EU policymaking circles had been that Mr Hogan could ride that wave and achieve a lasting settlement in the longstanding spat between Brussels and Washington over aircraft subsidies, with the World Trade Organization set to rule next month on permitted EU retaliation against aid given to Boeing. 

The Irishman’s short time as trade commissioner began with real promise as he increased contacts with the US. But his tenure entered choppier waters earlier this year as the pandemic fuelled protectionist sentiment and hobbled the international trade agenda.

Financial Times
    On Aug. 21, Hogan and his U.S. counterpart Robert Lighthizer announced a limited tariff-cutting accord and signaled the deal could pave the way for a broader improvement in transatlantic trade relations.

That $200 million deal, which includes an EU pledge to eliminate tariffs on American lobster, came hours after the European Commission expressed support for Hogan in the controversy over the golf dinner.

Bloomberg

Was only a useless mé féiner anyway, eh?

You are a liar. I know it. And you know it. Bye bye.

Post reported..

Calling someone a liar is a serious allegation. You should retract and apologise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

He proved that this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Can’t wait for all the cheap lobster. Steal now is 50% more expensive to sell than it was. Not the best deal. What’s good for the city of london is often not good for you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

got him now let's move onto the judge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Sorry what point were you trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

fergus1001 wrote: »
    got him now let's move onto the judge

Ya as it was the people on boards who got him out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smurgen wrote: »

That he was only a useless mé féiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smurgen wrote: »
    That Phil Hogan and his essential hand-written notes single-handedly dominated trade negotiations with the US and Europe will never see his like again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Good riddance to the piece of s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Gombeennation

Phil Hogan is gone as EU Trade Commissioner. The next Commissioner may not be Irish. We could lose out in Trade Deals eg over Brexit. Should we not have supported not have rallied behind Phil?

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    Good riddance to the piece of s**t

Bad form this..

Says more about you than him..

Advertisement