Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    "Agriculture Minister Michael Creed was forced to take on criticism over the weekend, once the deal was announced on Friday. But other sources inside government were quick to point out that Mr Hogan had been at the centre of negotiations and had questions to answer."
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30934085.html

That is a charade for the members. They know that the reality is that it would have been worse without Hogan in there. There is a balance to be struck and there were safeguards out in place in respect to agriculture products particularly on food safety standards which has Blunted the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Field east

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's funny that Europe didn't seem too bothered. We've successfully hounded an Irish voice out of a European job.

He was a bit dumb, but I have trouble seeing anything he did as being worth that. It would have been one thing if he actually held domestic office and had anything to do with the event he was invited to.

We're swiftly driving towards a situation where literally no-one can ever do anything wrong or they're met with overwhelming vitriol and anger and demands they be burned at the stake. It's all very hysterical.

With the help of the embedded media / reporters

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

we are staring down the barrel of one of the worst recessions in history and the government think its a great idea to get rid of the trade commissioner. why do they listen to social media don't they realise 70% of them are left leaning do nothings with the hand out at every opportunity. We might as well send in ming to do the job in his boxers to knock one out while smoking a joint, hell knows if someone from france gets the job kiss good bye to the tech and finance jobs, may as well start building a wall up north while we at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

We should have known it was over for Phil sooner.
    https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/1298691451044470784?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

we are staring down the barrel of one of the worst recessions in history and the government think its a great idea to get rid of the trade commissioner. why do they listen to social media don't they realise 70% of them have are left leaning do nothings with the hand out at every opportunity. We might as well send in ming to do the job in his boxers to knock one out while smoking a joint, hell knows if someone from france gets the job kiss good bye to the tech and finance jobs, may as well start building a wall up north while we at it.

The next Trade Commissioner won't decide EU tax policy but other EU countries have different perspectives and much less dependence than Ireland on the UK both as a market and a transit route to the continent.

Losing an Irish Trade Commissioner at such a critucal time would be a hammer blow. Hogan also had an excellent relationship with Michel Barnier and his successor (in whatever portfolio) will be building that from scratch.

That is the issue we should be thinking about now. Hogan is history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tinytemper

I'm still having a great laugh at Hogan and his fanboys. The crying over this is hilarious. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Can we stop using the term resigned for Calleary and Buttimer.
    They haven’t resigned, they have just given up an extra gig that comes with their cushy overpaid job.

Neither of them have lost their overpaid cushy job.

What I would like to know is if members of the Seanad can be fired fully from the Seanad?

That’s that should happen Jerry.

Calleary will await the people’s judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

we are staring down the barrel of one of the worst recessions in history and the government think its a great idea to get rid of the trade commissioner. why do they listen to social media don't they realise 70% of them are left leaning do nothings with the hand out at every opportunity. We might as well send in ming to do the job in his boxers to knock one out while smoking a joint, hell knows if someone from france gets the job kiss good bye to the tech and finance jobs, may as well start building a wall up north while we at it.

Big Phil wanted Brussels to set our tax rates in exchange for Covid bailout money

What would that have done to jobs in the country?

He is no friend of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Big Phil wanted Brussels to set our tax rates in exchange for Covid bailout money

What would that have done to jobs in the country?

He is no friend of Ireland

Source? That's mental if true and would explain the drip drip of information, (some would say trickle) that led to his downfall.

Tinytemper wrote:
    I'm still having a great laugh at Hogan and his fanboys. The crying over this is hilarious.

You are easily amused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That is a charade for the members. They know that the reality is that it would have been worse without Hogan in there. There is a balance to be struck and there were safeguards out in place in respect to agriculture products particularly on food safety standards which has Blunted the deal.
    It was posted to put to bed the latest parody postings that Hogan was not involved or intrinsic to that deal.
    To show that Hogan, although an Irishman is/was an EU Commissioner therefore his only loyalty in that job was to the EU's overall aims.
    Which is fine.

First Up wrote: »
    You are easily amused.

This is true but it's also very funny. :pac:

Can we stop using the term resigned for Calleary and Buttimer.
    They haven’t resigned, they have just given up an extra gig that comes with their cushy overpaid job.

Neither of them have lost their overpaid cushy job.

What I would like to know is if members of the Seanad can be fired fully from the Seanad?

That’s that should happen Jerry.

Calleary will await the people’s judgement.

We're still waiting on the reform of the Seanad as promised by FG years ago as an urgent priority after the referendum to keep it.

I'm pretty sure the 'elected' members are safe, don't know about the nominees by the Taoiseach and others though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We're still waiting on the reform of the Seanad as promised by FG years ago as an urgent priority after the referendum to keep it.

I'm pretty sure the 'elected' members are safe, don't know about the nominees by the Taoiseach and others though.

I don't remember that. I remember being told during referendum if we didn't get rid of it, it would stay as it is (a bad joke). Which it has unsurprisingly.
    Irish people are a bit "ornery" though and could not take the win and vote to abolish it when given the chance. edit: Am a bit curious, did you vote to keep it?

Tinytemper wrote:
    This is true but it's also very funny.

Mightn't be so funny for people who lose their jobs if the EU-UK trade agreement is negotiated by a Greek or Latvian commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I don't remember that. I remember being told during referendum if we didn't get rid of it, it would stay as it is (a bad joke). Which it has unsurprisingly.
    Irish people are a bit "ornery" though and could not take the win and vote to abolish it when given the chance.

Enda commissioned the Manning report on Seanad reform after he made a balls of the referendum. It made a lot of proposals which were broadly accepted by all parties (e.g. It proposed that every citizen be allowed to vote in Seanad elections). The report was the 14th report on Seanad reform but like all the others it is gathering dust. The FG governments promised to act on it since 2013 but it's an ongoing joke at the taxpayer expense. They fill it with their cronies now more than ever before.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Irish people are a bit "ornery" though and could not take the win and vote to abolish it when given the chance. edit: Am a bit curious, did you vote to keep it?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-says-seanad-reform-is-on-the-agenda-1.1552321

FG/Labour i should have said.

Yes, I did vote to keep it as straight up abolition was a no-no for me.

Mightn't be so funny for people who lose their jobs if the EU-UK trade agreement is negotiated by a Greek or Latvian commissioner.

Oh big Phil is such a big loss, no one can do as good a job as him. :pac: The fella is and always has been a useless lump.

Yes, I did vote to keep it as straight up abolition was a no-no for me.

As you probably gathered, I voted to get rid of it.
    I didn't know there was a report done on reforming it. Edit: IMO the limited franchise is really the worst thing about it, far worse than political cronies being appointed etc. That really is archaic and sticks in the gullet. All a bit off topic I suppose (but maybe doesn't matter given what OP wanted has come to pass).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'm not a fan of Phil Hogan but I don't understand all the anger towards him. I understand we have restrictions of gatherings and quarantining and his actions are some what questionable. Alan Kelly spoke some amount of sh1te on the news the other night. Apparently the questionable guideline breaking undermines his position in the EU. What an absolute load of bull.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Phil Hogan but I don't understand all the anger towards him. I understand we have restrictions of gatherings and quarantining and his actions are some what questionable. Alan Kelly spoke some amount of sh1te on the news the other night. Apparently the questionable guideline breaking undermines his position in the EU. What an absolute load of bull.

Alan Kelly hates Phil because of Irish Water. Phil dumped the god awful mess he created (with dollops of secrecy and dodgy contracts) on Alan Kelly and Labour and then ran a mile from it. Labour got destroyed at the next GE. Phil got rewarded for utter incompetence with a job in the EU. He was completely toxic at the time. I actually dont understand how people cannot remember how much taxpayer money he wasted or that he wanted Irish Water in private hands.

Anyone remember when Phil came back to Ireland in 2015 when arrogant Phil refused to answer questions on IW?

https://www.thejournal.ie/alan-kelly-water-charges-1789771-Nov2014/
    ENVIRONMENT MINISTER ALAN Kelly has said that his predecessor in the Department of the Environment, Phil Hogan, “could have done better” when setting up Irish Water.

“I wasn’t in Cabinet at the time and wasn’t party to those decisions at the time,” he told Newstalk.

In a separate interview with the station, Tánaiste Joan Burton refused to be drawn on whether or not Hogan was to blame for the mistakes that had been made in setting up the utility.

“I’m not really going to discuss Commissioner Hogan now he’s in Europe, he has an important job to do,” she remarked.

owlbethere wrote: »

Ask Fergus O'Dowd what he thinks of Toxic Phil.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fergus-odowd-irish-water-agendas-privatisation-1825719-Dec2014/
    FORMER JUNIOR MINISTER Fergus O’Dowd, one the people involved in setting up Irish Water, said last night that he felt that there were “forces at work” with “agendas” to privatise the utility company.

He said he remains “deeply concerned at other agendas, they may be European… I don’t know where they are coming from…” and said we have “real reason to be concerned” about the possibility of Irish Water being privatised.
    He said he was very surprised then to see in the number two Bill there was no provision guaranteeing the utility remaining a public body.

It was excluded and not included in legislation, and that concerned me greatly.

Phil was involved with those 'forces' and had the privatisation/referendum clause removed.

The real question is - why do Irish people have such short memories???

Tinytemper wrote:
    Oh big Phil is such a big loss, no one can do as good a job as him. The fella is and always has been a useless lump.

I guess we will find out. He was well regarded both as Agriculture Commissioner and in his last job but I'm sure nobody in Brussels,Geneva or Washington knows as much about him as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

You are surely aware he signed off on the Mercusor beef deal which enables South American sub-standard meat to flood the European markets at the detriment to the Irish Beef farmer who now finds themselves undercut and trying to compete against non regulated meat pumped full of hormones and probably able to carry the Irish flag thanks to loopholes?

His worth is completely overstated. The ironic thing is, if the Irish people didnt kick up a fuss, they would be classed as sheep. the docile Irish taking it again, etc.

This idea that the Mercosaur trade deal will flood EU markets with substandard beef is just nonsense.

Firstly, it only allows for the import of 99,000 tonnes of beef, a tiny fraction of the EU beef market. Ireland alone exports over 5 and a half times that amount of beef.

Secondly, all foods imported into the EU are subjected to the same regulations as food produced locally. You can't import beef 'pumped full of hormones' and sell it on the EU market.

Secondly, all foods imported into the EU are subjected to the same regulations as food produced locally. You can't import beef 'pumped full of hormones' and sell it on the EU market.

No, you will have to go to the UK for that.

No, you will have to go to the UK for that.

Potentially, but what has that got to do with the EU-Mercosaur FTA?

The real question is - why do Irish people have such short memories???

Not that short. There was loads of posters on here dubbing him "Trickle" etc and bringing up the ghosts of Irish Water while really letting the hate flow through them! That anti water charges protest movement really was the angriest political stuff I remember seeing in Ireland so not surprising.
    Funny thing is on the "trickle" he really just stated a fact in a high handed way.
    Water/waste becomes a utility paid for by a regular bill -> you do not pay -> it is (eventually) cut off same as electricity and gas are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Tony EH wrote: »
    No doubt there'll be a lot of little Fine Gaeler's crying into their cornflakes this morning, but he only has himself to blame.

He'll be grand anyway. He has his multiple pensions to tide him over all paid for out of the taxpayers pocket and more than likely he'll be handed another cushy number soon enough.

He's typical of that type though. A nothing politician, whose managed to hang on in a lucrative career, without any particularly good highlights.

So someone who started in local politics at 25 , got elected to the senate and then the dail, was a government minister and then an eu commissioner is a nothing politician? You must set the bar very high for someone to be a ‘something ‘ politician.

And to everyone talking about cushy numbers and gold plated pensions. In the words of p Flynn try it sometime.

If being a politician is that easy and that lucrative why are you running in your local elections and letting the gold flow your way?

Potentially, but what has that got to do with the EU-Mercosaur FTA?

Not much. Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

Not much. Why do you ask?

Because you brought it up? Why else?

Advertisement