Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Not that short. There was loads of posters on here dubbing him "Trickle" etc and bringing up the ghosts of Irish Water while really letting the hate flow through them! That anti water charges protest movement really was the angriest political stuff I remember seeing in Ireland so not surprising.
    Funny thing is on the "trickle" he really just stated a fact in a high handed way.
    Water/waste becomes a utility paid for by a regular bill -> you do not pay -> it is (eventually) cut off same as electricity and gas are.

It was the passive aggressive smug manner in which he done it.

Everyone knows that implementation of IW was an absolute farce littered with dodgy deals in the background so for Hogan to be showing further disdain to the population in the past week was a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I will happily take accountability and professionalism in public office over a trade commissioner in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Ask Fergus O'Dowd what he thinks of Toxic Phil.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fergus-odowd-irish-water-agendas-privatisation-1825719-Dec2014/

Phil was involved with those 'forces' and had the privatisation/referendum clause removed.

The real question is - why do Irish people have such short memories???

Enda's government had to do something about charging for water. Think there was pressure from the EU. Hogan took it on, knowing that it was going to be absolutely toxic and career ending for a politician in Ireland. His reward for doing it was a job in the EU.

The handling of Irish water was no worse than how Broadband & Children's Hospital have been managed, just far more emotional for people as it got everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

jm08 wrote: »
    Enda's government had to do something about charging for water. Think there was pressure from the EU. Hogan took it on, knowing that it was going to be absolutely toxic and career ending for a politician in Ireland. His reward for doing it was a job in the EU.

The handling of Irish water was no worse than how Broadband & Children's Hospital have been managed, just far more emotional for people as it got everyone.

How many marches and protests, with thousands travelling all over the country, have there been about the Chrildren's Hospital debacles?

How many attended the marches and protests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

That's just weak. You could have made a better job of planning Irish Water!! No wonder Hogan hid the minutes for many of the planning meetings.

Alan Dukes (Fine Gael) 2014

"A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water. We've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

Read that 3 times and pick out the positives of the setup for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Listen to Claire Byrne now or listen back. Clear view in Brussels that our stand will damage Europe and Ireland.

Listen to Claire Byrne now or listen back. Clear view in Brussels that our stand will damage Europe and Ireland.

I am listening now and they are saying the opposite. The speaker says every country has poor politicians but it wont affect Ireland as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It was the passive aggressive smug manner in which he done it.

Yes, he is not a likeable politician at all.
    I think we do have a (political) culture here where usually politicians must cadjole the public/constituents, tell them how great/right they are + sympathise with them at all times (...that "how bad does it make you feel" Joe Duffy sketch off the Savage Eye comes to mind for some reason!). They say something unpaletable, they need to look out and duck for cover even if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Cyrus wrote: »
    So someone who started in local politics at 25 , got elected to the senate and then the dail, was a government minister and then an eu commissioner is a nothing politician? You must set the bar very high for someone to be a ‘something ‘ politician.

And to everyone talking about cushy numbers and gold plated pensions. In the words of p Flynn try it sometime.

If being a politician is that easy and that lucrative why are you running in your local elections and letting the gold flow your way?

Definitely no cushy number for Pee anyway. Couldnt even manage to run three households on the little pittance they gave him.

I would like to know why Leo, MM and Ryan doubled down in their statement yesterday. Phil might have survived if they hadn't made that strong statement.
    However, concerns remain. It is clear that breaches of public health guidelines were made by Commissioner Phil Hogan since he travelled to Ireland.

That was the final nail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sickofcovid

Do you think Leo might be in the running for the appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I am listening now and they are saying the opposite. The speaker says every country has poor politicians but it wont affect Ireland as a country.

He was talking about the Calibre of Hogan as Trade Commissioner and that will be everyone’s loss. Made reference to US and China relations.

You are right that he made the point that all countries have these issues.

I would like to know why Leo, MM and Ryan doubled down in their statement yesterday. Phil might have survived if they hadn't made that strong statement.

That was the final nail.

Because Hogan is a disgrace?

Tony Connelly said a lot at the EU thought Hogan was mess they can do without.

For all we know it was the fact he wasn't wanted in Brussels is why he resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't think he'd be good enough to be trade commisioner but after being party leader and Taoiseach he should go to Brussels now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

Because Hogan is a disgrace?

Tony Connelly said a lot at the EU thought Hogan was mess they can do without.

For all we know it was the fact he wasn't wanted in Brussels is why he resigned.

You're just making stuff up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

How many marches and protests, with thousands travelling all over the country, have there been about the Chrildren's Hospital debacles?

How many attended the marches and protests?

That is my point - emotions took over for Irish Water. The Childrens' Hospital and Broadband debacles hardly registered with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Whatever about Phil going, it now leaves Wolfe in the position where he will have no choice but to follow suit. His quietness has been evident.

That is my point - emotions took over for Irish Water. The Childrens' Hospital and Broadband debacles hardly registered with the public.

Sorry you misunderstand my point - I didn't make it clear at all actually.

Yes, the population went to the brink of revolution because it was asked to pay for water.

A hospital for sick kids in a complete shambles and we do nothing.

What are we like?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ask Fergus O'Dowd what he thinks of Toxic Phil.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fergus-odowd-irish-water-agendas-privatisation-1825719-Dec2014/

Phil was involved with those 'forces' and had the privatisation/referendum clause removed.

The real question is - why do Irish people have such short memories???

We don't.

Some on here still whinging about Cromwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wrangler wrote: »
    I don't think he'd be good enough to be trade commisioner but after being party leader and Taoiseach he should go to Brussels now

I don't think FG could afford to be without him as leader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whatever about Phil going, it now leaves Wolfe in the position where he will have no choice but to follow suit. His quietness has been evident.

Really do you want everyone at the dinner to resign?

Hogan is gone for more reasons than just attending the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

wrangler wrote: »

How do you conclude that? He's an ex minister and taoisech, and current tanaiste and party leader.

So has loads of experience and would walk into a commission job.

I don't think he'll go as I think he wants the Taoiseach role again but I would regard him as a very capable politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

He probably engineered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

That was the final nail.

Leo not so vocal on the BLM march. Not a man of conviction imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

We don't.

Some on here still whinging about Cromwell.

If only there was twitter back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't think FG could afford to be without him as leader

He led FG to its second worst election result despite a Booming economy.

FG will be much better off without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

boardise wrote: »
    How many members of the government were at the dinner table ?
    I'm aware of one -who resigned the next day... the context being that he was a non-golfer who was there to pay respects to a deceased colleague.
    How is this being twisted into an anti-government narrative. They called for Hogan to resign .
    By all means offer criticism where justified but let's cease this vengeful exaggerating.

You are having a laugh, right?

Didn't the deceased colleague die in late 2018, presumably they held a funeral for them at that time? Even the Killilea family themselves left the event as they knew it was breaking all kinds of covid regulations.

Doesn't fly I'm afraid. There was nothing preventing it from being delayed until the pandemic restrictions and regulations many of those in attendance set were lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

JPCN1 wrote: »
    He led FG to its second worst election result despite a Booming economy.

FG will be much better off without him.

Who would you replace him with if he was gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really do you want everyone at the dinner to resign?

Hogan is gone for more reasons than just attending the dinner.

Yes they should, particularly Woulfe and Hayes and also the TDs and Councillors who represent us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That was the final nail.

Because they saw an oppurtunity for themselves and/or cronies to land a plum position. Laughable that the gullible public seem to think this was some kind of genuine moralising over "health concerns".
    Can either slot themselves or an enemy/rival into this. Political liebenstraum basically, win-win all round. Hogan is hated so was expendable- very naive on his part not to see the wolves circling and should have minded his position.

Advertisement