Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Bullocks wrote: »
    Who would you replace him with if he was gone?

66% of Party members voted Coveney so I'd go there.

McEntee perhaps but at 34 maybe needs a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

“Von der Leyen says government must propose a woman and a man as candidates to replace Phil Hogan”

From the journal, so in this new age were being told a woman basically has to replace Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

That's just weak. You could have made a better job of planning Irish Water!! No wonder Hogan hid the minutes for many of the planning meetings.

Alan Dukes (Fine Gael) 2014
    Read that 3 times and pick out the positives of the setup for me.

They made a mess of Irish Water, Children's Hospital, Broadband, Cervical Screening and no one had to resign over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

“Von der Leyen says government must propose a woman and a man as candidates to replace Phil Hogan”

From the journal, so in this new age were being told a woman basically has to replace Phil.

Wokeness is more important than ability/experience for a long time now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Woman and a man as candidates, means it must be a woman:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

VDL knows that Phil was manoevered out and is making sure the protagonists don't get what they planned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Because Hogan is a disgrace?

Tony Connelly said a lot at the EU thought Hogan was mess they can do without.

For all we know it was the fact he wasn't wanted in Brussels is why he resigned.

Not true. They are all singing his praises. What they didn't want is the mess created by Irish people. Talking about shooting ourselves in the foot!

Because Hogan is a disgrace?

Tony Connelly said a lot at the EU thought Hogan was mess they can do without.

For all we know it was the fact he wasn't wanted in Brussels is why he resigned.

Ursula van der Leyden spoke very warmly about Phil Hogan in her message this morning, even calling him Phil at one stage. Then the head of journalism for EU Commission said he was very highly thought of in Brussels and everyone liked him there.

You are sounding very bitter and twisted at this stage. I for one am embarrassed to be Irish today. This happened because of the Irish media frenzy for Phil Hogans head, they hunted him relentlessly for a week, brought on by the "constantly outraged" on Twitter and other social media. One feeds the other. 2 weeks earlier it was Michael Cawley CEO Bord Failte, the media whipped up unbelievable non stop hysteria about him..... 24/7 on Newstalk.

Very few of those "outraged" would even under what the EU Trade Commissioner does. We are an outraged, insecure, bitter bunch of fools in this country, full of begrudgery about Policitians salaries and pensions. If any of us were policitians or EU commissioners would we turn down these salaries and pensions? Bitterness and begrudgery and the screaming ranting of the Twitterati along with all media outlets (Newstalk and Liveline I'm looking at you) did this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

road_high wrote: »
    Because they saw an oppurtunity for themselves and/or cronies to land a plum position. Laughable that the gullible public seem to think this was some kind of genuine moralising over "health concerns".
    Can either slot themselves or an enemy/rival into this. Political liebenstraum basically, win-win all round. Hogan is hated so was expendable- very naive on his part not to see the wolves circling and should have minded his position.

I think you mean Lebensraum?

liebestraum? means 'love dream'.

MM/Leo would have looked very ineffective and foolish if Hogan had not resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think you mean Lebensraum?

liebestraum means 'love dream'.

MM/Leo would have looked very ineffective and foolish if Hogan had not resigned.

Yes typo there, my German is very basic! There are a ton of other more pertinent matters that make them look ineffective and foolish- the coming budgets for example should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

She had that rule from when she took office in December 2019. Look at how it forced through an all-female Commission.

the-commissioners-v1.jpg?itok=nPLIz3mE&timestamp=1575909641

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yes they should, particularly Woulfe and Hayes and also the TDs and Councillors who represent us.

Hayes has no public sector role so what does he resign from? This is getting ridiculous.

She had that rule from when she took office in December 2019. Look at how it forced through an all-female Commission.

Id assume many were chosen before that rule, How many appointments male and female has there been since ?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

15 v 12 in that pic.

Replace Hogan with a woman and 14 v 13.

Id assume many were chosen before that rule, How many appointments male and female has there been since ?

The whole commission was appointed in December 2019, that's how it works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_der_Leyen_Commission

JPCN1 wrote: »
    15 v 12 in that pic.

Replace Hogan with a woman and 14 v 13.

And considering the much smaller pool of women that there is to pull from, thats some serious gender engineering right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Ursula van der Leyden spoke very warmly about Phil Hogan in her message this morning, even calling him Phil at one stage. Then the head of journalism for EU Commission said he was very highly thought of in Brussels and everyone liked him there.

You are sounding very bitter and twisted at this stage. I for one am embarrassed to be Irish today. This happened because of the Irish media frenzy for Phil Hogans head, they hunted him relentlessly for a week, brought on by the "constantly outraged" on Twitter and other social media. One feeds the other. 2 weeks earlier it was Michael Cawley CEO Bord Failte, the media whipped up unbelievable non stop hysteria about him..... 24/7 on Newstalk.

Very few of those "outraged" would even under what the EU Trade Commissioner does. We are an outraged, insecure, bitter bunch of fools in this country, full of begrudgery about Policitians salaries and pensions. If any of us were policitians or EU commissioners would we turn down these salaries and pensions? Bitterness and begrudgery and the screaming ranting of the Twitterati along with all media outlets (Newstalk and Liveline I'm looking at you) did this.

Oh my heart bleeds for him. Fcuk m

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Billcarson wrote: »
    Oh my heart bleeds for him. Fcuk m

Tell that to the farmers

And considering the much smaller pool of women that there is to pull from, thats some serious gender engineering right there

The whole point of nominating a woman and a man is to make the pool of both even. And even with a female President, the Commission still ended up a majority of men.

Your constant fear of an enforced matriarchy is yet again unfounded.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It'll take a week or two to submit nominations...

Richard Bruton (fit as a flea)

Philomena Hogan (recent makeover)

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Did anyone else see the video that Luke Flanagan shared on twitter, of Phil taunting him over in Brussles? Telling him that he'd have 'all the time in the world to play golf in July' after the European election? Imagineeee how satisfying it must be for him to see big Phil banished to the shadow realm.

You absolutely love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah he should have been honest and admitted that he broke the regulations, been investigated by the gardai and taken any punishment. After all the crux of this whole thing is that people feel its a different rule for them than it is for us. So treat him like a citizen, fine him. That would have seemed fair to me.

Anyway he resigned which he is free to do, now we have people who never want him to get another job! As if we have any right or say over the hiring policies of private companies! I'm wondering what the end point is. Would suicide satiate the people or would they just spit on the corpse?

You are right about the anger though, people love an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the video that Luke Flanagan shared on twitter, of Phil taunting him over in Brussles? Telling him that he'd have 'all the time in the world to play golf in July' after the European election? Imagineeee how satisfying it must be for him to see big Phil banished to the shadow realm.

You absolutely love to see it. Get fcuked big Phil/turd.

https://twitter.com/lukeming/status/1297480618821943297?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah amazing that we have Ming mick and mad Clare in Europe to do us proud. The Europeans must wonder what’s going on here.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Yeah amazing that we have Ming mick and mad Clare in Europe to do us proud. The Europeans must wonder what’s going on here.

I can't stand Flanagan, and I think the hounding Hogan got was largely petty, but after seeing that video, you can't begrudge Ming the twist of the knife.

unbelievable level of bitterness and begrudgery.........if you're so angered why don't you apply for a government job? Its open to anyone? See how you get on with today's social media witch hunts? Your entire life is pulled over like a dead carcass and examined under a microscope as though none of us have ever put a foot wrong! All these insecure, bitter, outraged , frustrated keyboard cowards! Go for it yourself, put yourself up as a local representative in the next local election and go from there,you could eventually become EU commissioner too !! No qualifications needed. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Very few of those "outraged" would even under what the EU Trade Commissioner does.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Ah he should have been honest and admitted that he broke the regulations, been investigated by the gardai and taken any punishment.

That didn't do barry Cowan any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Looks like a bit of banter and Ming wasn't phased at the time it seemed.
    Anyway's what have we lost here, was Hogan capable, and capable to get more for Ireland than another minister?
    Or are we dodging a bullet getting rid, apart from golfgate I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Our culture of cronyism, double standards, and parish pump politics is in no way helped by generations ofpoor leadership in our offices and organisations.
    This is a part of cultural change in Ireland, not accepting hypocrisy and ouble standards by our law makers and public representatives, and a rejection of the ignorance, arrogance, and lies displayed in response to criticism.
    The man us a pity but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Advertisement