Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

crossman47 wrote: »
    That didn't do barry Cowan any good.

True.

Well there is some difference, barry cowan was a TD, a member of the government and a cabinet minister.

McMurphy wrote: »

Phil will have no shortage of job offers, most if not all likely to involve a pay increase.

We had the Trade Commissioner role, but for a number of angry little men/women and spineless political leaders we'll lose that at a crucial time *slow hand clap*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

unbelievable level of bitterness and begrudgery.........if you're so angered why don't you apply for a government job? Its open to anyone? See how you get on with today's social media witch hunts? Your entire life is pulled over like a dead carcass and examined under a microscope as though none of us have ever put a foot wrong! All these insecure, bitter, outraged , frustrated keyboard cowards! Go for it yourself, put yourself up as a local representative in the next local election and go from there,you could eventually become EU commissioner too !! No qualifications needed. Let us know how you get on.

It's quite the opposite, actually. Finally, our crooked politicians are being held to account by a relentless, untiring new generation of journalists, as it should be in a functioning democracy.

I don't want a government job as I'm a trainee solicitor, but never say never as they say ;) I'd be far more qualified than some of my predecessors. The point is, nobody is above the law. We're all equal, despite our day jobs and financial resources.

Why would anyone set out to defend Hogan? Do you think he'd do the same for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    It's quite the opposite, actually. Finally, our crooked politicians are being held to account by a relentless, untiring new generation of journalists, as it should be in a functioning democracy.

I don't want a government job as I'm a trainee solicitor, but never say never as they say ;) I'd be far more qualified than some of my predecessors. The point is, nobody is above the law. We're all equal, despite our day jobs and financial resources.

Why would anyone set out to defend Hogan? Do you think he'd do the same for you?

I think its

"Get fcuked big Phil/turd"

that Sweetmaggie was referring to.

I wouldn't hols out much hope for your legal career, if that's your level of discourse.

Allinall wrote: »
    I think its

"Get fcuked big Phil/turd"

that Sweetmaggie was referring to.

I wouldn't hols out much hope for your legal career, if that's your level of discourse.

Haha each to their own ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Because you brought it up? Why else?

Well you brought up beef pumped with hormones, which reminded me that our apparently useless former commissioner manged to secure an EU - US trade agreement that opens the US market to Irish and other European goods but doesn't require us to eat American beef pumped with hormones.

Not that he'll get any thanks for that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Did anyone else see the video that Luke Flanagan shared on twitter, of Phil taunting him over in Brussles? Telling him that he'd have 'all the time in the world to play golf in July' after the European election? Imagineeee how satisfying it must be for him to see big Phil banished to the shadow realm.

You absolutely love to see it. Get fcuked big Phil/turd.

I googled Luke Flanagan so I could see the video but there is another story that comes up and I want to go no further in googling Flanagan.

There is headlines about him being on web cam conference with
    no trousers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Our culture of cronyism, double standards, and parish pump politics is in no way helped by generations ofpoor leadership in our offices and organisations.
    This is a part of cultural change in Ireland, not accepting hypocrisy and ouble standards by our law makers and public representatives, and a rejection of the ignorance, arrogance, and lies displayed in response to criticism.
    The man us a pity but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Spot on.

Maybe the Clifden Elite fallout will be a turning point for Irish politics.

Maybe the people of Ireland will start voting for more honest and capable people.

Maybe future politicians will be less self serving.

Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As a (trainee) solicitor, would you only defend people who would do the same for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really do you want everyone at the dinner to resign?

Hogan is gone for more reasons than just attending the dinner.

Calleary and gang went for attending the dinner, so why not. Personally I think it's just a witch hunt. No one else was made resign from their day jobs except Hogan.

• Advertisement

As a (trainee) solicitor, would you only defend people who would do the same for you?

I'm defending LawBoy2018 right now

so he will defend me later

• Registered Users Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes they should, particularly Woulfe and Hayes and also the TDs and Councillors who represent us.

I'm all in favour of keeping our politicians to a high standard but I fear that this si turning into something of a witch hunt.

Hayes for example is not a politician anymore, he's now Banking & Payments Federation Ireland CEO. So you want him to resign from that role?

I don't understand the mentality of people complaining about every single politician as it's the Irish people who elected them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Could Dara Muprhy be the next commissioner?

Nobody has mentioned Dara.

Dara loves extorting expenses and Brussels.

Interesting how FG never put a finger on Dara who was supposedly driving from Cork to Dublin Airport and stopping off on the way to 'fob' into the Dail in order to cream the expenses.
    FORMER TD DARA Murphy is refusing to put himself up for investigation in relation to his attendance and expenses, according to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Far more qualified than some of my predecessors, perhaps but many of them have achieved a lot in the legal profession which you will do well to match so I’d wind your neck in a little.

Also your little we are all equal speech rings hollow in that context as well. Being a trainee solicitor appears to elevate you over someone not as formally educated as you it seems.

And you do understand the meaning of predecessors I hope.

I'm all in favour of keeping our politicians to a high standard but I fear that this si turning into something of a witch hunt.

I don't undertstand the mentality of people complaining about every single politician as it's the Irish people who elected them.

And?

Witches are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And?

Witches are bad.

The point is, witches aren't real, and hunting them does nothing to solve your problems (curdled milk or whatnot).

We're not in court, we're in the middle of a pandemic and a large cohort of society are on their knees.

If we can't look to our politicians for guidance, why are they even necessary? Politicians need to lead by example, now more than ever, and they realise that. Do you think they would have resigned otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

crossman47 wrote: »
    Hayes has no public sector role so what does he resign from? This is getting ridiculous.

1005103.jpg?b64lines=IFRISVMgV0lUQ0ggSFVOVCBJUwogVFVSTklORyBJTlRPIEEgQ0lSQ1VTLg==

Cyrus wrote: »
    Far more qualified than some of my predecessors, perhaps but many of them have achieved a lot in the legal profession which you will do well to match so I’d wind your neck in a little.

Also your little we are all equal speech rings hollow in that context as well. Being a trainee solicitor appears to elevate you over someone not as formally educated as you it seems.

And you do understand the meaning of predecessors I hope.

You were the one preaching to me about applying for a government job, hence why I told you the profession I actually work in.

"Also your little we are all equal speech rings hollow in that context as well. Being a trainee solicitor appears to elevate you over someone not as formally educated as you it seems." You're the one who said that there were 'no qualifications needed?' Make up your mind? You seem to have quite the chip on your shoulder. It's never too late to go to college you know!

Here's some info about how the mature student programme works:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/applying_to_college/third_level_courses_for_mature_students.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ironically witches and alchemists were the precursor to doctors and pharmacists. The only thing that will get us out of this pandemic.

That's the irrelevant post of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

And?

Witches are bad.

Eh yes but witches didn't really exist and lots of innocent people were burned at the stake by frenzied mobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You were the one preaching to me about applying for a government job, hence why I told you the profession I actually work in.

"Also your little we are all equal speech rings hollow in that context as well. Being a trainee solicitor appears to elevate you over someone not as formally educated as you it seems." You're the one who said that there were 'no qualifications needed?' Make up your mind? You seem to have quite the chip on your shoulder. It's never too late to go to college you know!

Here's some info about how the mature student programme works:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/applying_to_college/third_level_courses_for_mature_students.html

Good luck in your legal career cub you’ll need it :D

You don’t know the meaning of predecessor and you are replying to me about a post by someone else. College makes sense alright because I doubt it’s a university you attended !

I’m alright jack ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Spot on.

Maybe the Clifden Elite fallout will be a turning point for Irish politics.

Maybe the people of Ireland will start voting for more honest and capable people.

Maybe future politicians will be less self serving.

Maybe.

More likely that more and more capable people will avoid politics as they won't want every move of themselves and their families publicly scrutinised. I wouldn't touch these jobs with a barge pole and I have nothing to hide (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Calleary and gang went for attending the dinner, so why not. Personally I think it's just a witch hunt. No one else was made resign from their day jobs except Hogan.

The offence for using the phone was illegal in itsself, that , if you ask me, was enough for a resignation ...but who knows, if he haden't been cought on the other items this may well have been 'swept' under the carpet..." good lad, off you go, dont do it again'.
    What more annoying is that he said he dident do anything illegal, yeah, he's above the law...forgot that....

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Hayes for example is not a politician anymore, he's now Banking & Payments Federation Ireland CEO. So you want him to resign from that role?

I don't understand the mentality of people complaining about every single politician as it's the Irish people who elected them.

Jeasus, we elected them in good faith to be one with the law. NOT above the law..my god listen to yourself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Why would someone travel out that far to West Connemara to attend a dinner with all the risks.

There is more digging in this story. I hope Brian Hayes and Donie Cassidys table come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I googled Luke Flanagan so I could see the video but there is another story that comes up and I want to go no further in googling Flanagan.

There is headlines about him being on web cam conference with
    no trousers?

Yes an EU parliament meeting and he was sitting there scratching himself as well. Admitted he did not know the difference between portrait and landscape.

Eh yes but witches didn't really exist and lots of innocent people were burned at the stake by frenzied mobs.

So you say.

Seems to me a lot of decent God fearing folk stepped upmto battle the forces of darkness and thanks to them we are all here today.

The witch hunters are being witch hunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Could Dara Muprhy be the next commissioner?

Nobody has mentioned Dara.

Dara loves extorting expenses and Brussels.

Interesting how FG never put a finger on Dara who was supposedly driving from Cork to Dublin Airport and stopping off on the way to 'fob' into the Dail in order to cream the expenses.

Dara “resigned” from his new EU post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Jeasus, we elected them in good faith to be one with the law. NOT above the law..my god listen to yourself....

I hope you didn’t vote for Dessie Ellis

Advertisement