Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

First Up wrote: »
    It is a very serious setback, for which Hogan shoulders most of the blame. (His accomplices are the event organisers and the hotel in Clifden but he broke too many rules - written or not.)

But it is potentially a lot bigger setback to Ireland than just him. Getting the Trade portfolio for an Irish commissioner was the culmination of years of hard and smart work by politicians and officials. It was recognition of the track record of previous Irish commissioners and officials (including Hogan) and the awareness in the Commission and across the EU of Ireland's commitment to the EU, as well as our exposure from Brexit. It was a diplomatic triumph.

So his fall marks a huge waste of effort; it negates years of good work and could seriously weaken our position in trading with the UK.

Yet this thread is made up of juvenile taunts, parish pump political point scoring, re-hashing of water charges and naked begrudgery of someone in a good job. Hardly a single reference to the bigger picture or any concern for what happens next.

It is pathetic and depressing to see Ireland at its ignorant, miserable worst.

It is indeed.

It's ignorant, miserable worst being Phil Hogan

The pathetic and depressing being those who think this kind of "person" should be allowed to run rampant because he thinks he is superior to us.

And US included you First Up.

Forget the violation of restrictions, the slap in the face to the elderly and the now unemployed, the lies.

Think of the actual law he did break. How many times did he break that law on this visit to Ireland? Do you honestly believe the time he was caught on the phone was the only time he used the phone while driving?

If he had killed someone, would tell that person's family to think of this "bigger picture"?

The swine is getting off lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sawduck wrote: »
    Why are people defending him, is Ireland turning into America, where people defend politicians simply because they support that politicalions party?

Been like that for years lad. The shilling for Hogan on here is nothing new.

It is indeed.

It's ignorant, miserable worst being Phil Hogan

The pathetic and depressing being those who think this kind of "person" should be allowed to run rampant because he thinks he is superior to us.

And US included you First Up.

Forget the violation of restrictions, the slap in the face to the elderly and the now unemployed, the lies.

Think of the actual law he did break. How many times did he break that law on this visit to Ireland? Do you honestly believe the time he was caught on the phone was the only time he used the phone while driving?

If he had killed someone, would tell that person's family to think of this "bigger picture"?

Lightly? He lost his job for using his phone while driving and breaking some regulations.

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1298801956069216256?s=19
    Interesting thread there about high profile breaches of regulations elsewhere and the lack of consequences, because, in large, people understand mistakes will be made.

It's a fairly bizarre over-reaction, imo, even if the dinner should never have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Tony EH wrote: »
    Been like that for years lad. The shilling for Hogan on here is nothing new.

I haven't followed most of the thread but I have seen very little sympathy for Hogan who has been arrogant and stupid. But by getting rid of him now are we (Ireland) doing more harm to Hogan or to ourselves?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So what is it now?

You reckon von der Leyen was listening to Liveline?

You reckon she's of such poor quality she was swayed by "baying mobs"?

Do you really need to be so juvenile?

The Commission has an office in Ireland so Ursula will have been kept well informed without tuning in herself. But that was not a serious question - right?

And had our own Government not been so publically outspoken against Hogan the Commission could easily have ignored it. That deflected the outcry from themselves - but at the expense of the trade commissionership.

Noone cares about Hogan. But the post matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

1641 wrote: »
    Noone cares about Hogan.

Not true.

He cares about himself.

Problem is, that is the limit of who he cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So seeing him punished is your only interest in the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

He's gone!

524511.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

It is a very serious setback, for which Hogan shoulders most of the blame. (His accomplices are the event organisers and the hotel in Clifden but he broke too many rules - written or not.)

But it is potentially a lot bigger setback to Ireland than just him. Getting the Trade portfolio for an Irish commissioner was the culmination of years of hard and smart work by politicians and officials. It was recognition of the track record of previous Irish commissioners and officials (including Hogan) and the awareness in the Commission and across the EU of Ireland's commitment to the EU, as well as our exposure from Brexit. It was a diplomatic triumph.

So his fall marks a huge waste of effort; it negates years of good work and could seriously weaken our position in trading with the UK.

Yet this thread is made up of juvenile taunts, parish pump political point scoring, re-hashing of water charges and naked begrudgery of someone in a good job. Hardly a single reference to the bigger picture or any concern for what happens next.

It is pathetic and depressing to see Ireland at its ignorant, miserable worst.

Of course this is meant to be the enlightened, nuanced view that Paddy is blind to.

Could this be a myth.

The guy is proven to be a liar. He lied to save his own skin repeatedly. And people here are saying he lied to his boss (haven't seen the dossier myself).

So he's untrustworthy: The only one who can rely on him for sure is himself, and even then he can't get that right as evidenced by this debacle.

He is proven to have ****ty judgement. Any old fool should have seen this shindig was a bad idea. And ****ty judgement again when he kept digging with barefaced lying.

That's not to mention his disregard for rules and the law.

And the blather about him batting for Ireland. The only one he bats for is himself (or whoever keeps him in a comfortable job). Does that self-interest necessarily line up with Ireland's interests. His history doesn't suggest he really gives a **** about the Irish people or Ireland.

So I don't buy the indispensable patriot guff.

• Advertisement

So I don't buy the indispensable patriot guff.

Who said he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So what is it now?

You reckon von der Leyen was listening to Liveline?

You reckon she's of such poor quality she was swayed by "baying mobs"?

Maybe she's lurking on these threads being influenced by the baying mob.

According to Tony Conneally, the Nordics/Baltics are annoyed. I am sure not because of any particular love of Hogan himself but because of the Trade Commissionership. Their economic interests broadly correlate to ours. But they fear the French are now positioning to make a grab for the job.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Maybe she's lurking on these threads being influenced by the baying mob.

Posting too, I heard.

Lightly? He lost his job for using his phone while driving and breaking some regulations.

Someone hasn't been following how the whole thing panned out, that's for sure.

1641 wrote:
    According to Tony Conneally, the Nordics/Baltics are annoyed. I am sure not because of any particular love of Hogan himself but because of the Trade Commissionership. Their economic interests broadly correlate to ours. But they fear the French are now positioning to make a grab for the job.

Exactly the sort of important stuff that we could be discussing, instead of just repeating Hogan's failings over and over.

He deserved to go. He's gone. Now what next folks?

Someone hasn't been following how the whole thing panned out, that's for sure.

People are going to make mistakes. it's nothing more than that imo.

I get that Hogan is an unpopular guy, but the more important thing is what was best for Ireland. We face a very real risk that the larger, more protectionist states, will be setting the Trade agenda now. As it is, France have been trying to undermine our tax laws for years (aided by the Greens calling for EU tax harmonisation btw).

Exactly the sort of important stuff that we could be discussing, instead of just repeating Hogan's failings over and over.

He deserved to go. He's gone. Now what next folks?

Few folk speculating Seamus Woulfe will be next. Domino affect etc.

People are going to make mistakes. it's nothing more than that imo.

I get that Hogan is an unpopular guy, but the more important thing is what was best for Ireland. We face a very real risk that the larger, more protectionist states, will be setting the Trade agenda now. As it is, France have been trying to undermine our tax laws for years (aided by the Greens calling for EU tax harmonisation btw).

You reckon blaming all and sundry for his complete lack of regards for covid regulations, and what people here have sacrificed and foregone for the last six months, and him trying to blame everyone from the hotel industry, the organisers of the event and the citizens advice website for "incorrect information, that Phil "doesn't accept" or the nine statements he made - each one correcting the lie mistake he made in the previous one had no bearing on his self inflicted resignation, and rather it was because he used the phone and made a few boo-boos?

Or maybe in fact it was just because he's unpopular?

*Shrugs*

Fair enough chief.

McMurphy wrote:
    Few folk speculating Seamus Woulfe will be next. Domino affect etc.

I see my efforts are not quite getting through.

You keep hunting them down while some of us try to deal with the boring stuf like holding on to the Trade portfolio and keeping Ireland's interests at the centre of Brexit and the EU's relations with the UK.

• Advertisement

You reckon blaming all and sundry for his complete lack of regards for covid regulations, and what people here have sacrificed and foregone for the last six months, and him trying to blame everyone from the hotel industry, the organisers of the event and the citizens advice website for "incorrect information, that Phil "doesn't accept" or the nine statements he made - each one correcting the lie mistake he made in the previous one had no bearing on his self inflicted resignation, and rather it was because he used the phone and made a few boo-boos?

Or maybe in fact it was just because he's unpopular?

*Shrugs*

Fair enough chief.

Judging by the various Irish Water comments it seems to me that some people have been waiting for this moment for a while, nothing to do with this last week specifically, tbh.

Judging by the various Irish Water comments it seems to me that some people have been waiting for this moment for a while, nothing to do with this last week specifically, tbh.

And nothing to do with where we go from here.

**Oh cry me a River**

That has nothing to do with what we were discussing, ie the reason Phil Hogan fell on his sword.

Deflect deflect deflect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I guess the smugness from the scalpers will continue for a while.

Its Leo's to lose at this stage. Coveney must have a kick in his step, nice move.

I see my efforts are not quite getting through.

You keep hunting them down while some of us try to deal with the boring stuf like holding on to the Trade portfolio and keeping Ireland's interests at the centre of Brexit and the EU's relations with the UK.

We'll survive.

As anyone who has read this thread knows Hogan looks out for Hogan.

**Oh cry me a River**

That has nothing to do with what we were discussing, ie the reason Phil Hogan fell on his sword.

Deflect deflect deflect.

Hardly deflecting, all I care about in this is Ireland.

Zebra3 wrote:
    As anyone who has read this thread knows Hogan looks out for Hogan.

You just want to talk about Hogan.

Grand - I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

You just want to talk about Hogan.

Grand - I'll leave you to it.

In fairness the clue is in the thread title.

In fairness the clue is in the thread title.

He has resigned so maybe time to close it and move on?

There are more important things to talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

Was the issue in this case the super fast resignation of Dara Calleary that meant all the attention was focused on Phil Hogan. Think Michael Martin has handled this poorly. Should have tried to deflect attention from Hogan somewhat but he threw another minister for agriculture out on his ear.
    This is a big own goal imho and we have undone a lot of good work if the trade commission now pivots to the French. Surely the righteous folk understand that there are some unsavoury characters in politics but sometimes its better that they are on your team and inside the tent...

Advertisement