Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Big Phil represented the whole of Europe. Countries hit hardest by the virus like Spain and Italy. We sometimes only think about how it looked to Irish public. Imagine how it looked in Spain and Italy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

topdecko wrote: »
    Was the issue in this case the super fast resignation of Dara Calleary that meant all the attention was focused on Phil Hogan. Think Michael Martin has handled this poorly. Should have tried to deflect attention from Hogan somewhat but he threw another minister for agriculture out on his ear.
    This is a big own goal imho and we have undone a lot of good work if the trade commission now pivots to the French. Surely the righteous folk understand that there are some unsavoury characters in politics but sometimes its better that they are on your team and inside the tent...

I think once minister Calleary went Martin wanted his pound of flesh. The fact that Leo took Martins back is telling all things considered. Very win win. I reckon Leo will be president of the EU within 10 years. show me a bookie that will take me bet.

I also reckon Martin owes Leo a favour now and you would assume that Leo was smart enough to Quid pro Quo before he publcly criticised big Phil. Crikey they phucked stones for a week, some neck you would know he was a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

First Up wrote: »
    He has resigned so maybe time to close it and move on?

There are more important things to talk about.

It's not compulsory to stay involved in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Big Phil represented the whole of Europe. Countries hit hardest by the virus like Spain and Italy. We sometimes only think about how it looked to Irish public. Imagine how it looked in Spain and Italy

I would really be surprised if the incident itself registered at all in these countries - certainly not beyond a small political bubble. But the fallout and the resignation of a Commissioner will have registered. In reality it sets a precedent. The only other Commissioner to lose the job was to do with corruption while in office. This is purely to do with a domestic matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

1641 wrote: »
    I would really be surprised if the incident itself registered at all in these countries - certainly not beyond a small political bubble. But the fallout and the resignation of a Commissioner will have registered. In reality it sets a precedent. The only other Commissioner to lose the job was to do with corruption while in office. This is purely to do with a domestic matter.

I also think it's stretching it to say Phil worries about Italy and Spain.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think once minister Calleary went Martin wanted his pound of flesh. The fact that Leo took Martins back is telling all things considered. Very win win. I reckon Leo will be president of the EU within 10 years. show me a bookie that will take me bet.

I also reckon Martin owes Leo a favour now and you would assume that Leo was smart enough to Quid pro Quo before he publcly criticised big Phil. Crikey they phucked stones for a week, some neck you would know he was a farmer.

I think the main reason they stuck it so publicly to Hogan was because they (the Gov.) had been going through such a rocky time themselves. They didn't want to deal with any more flack.

I also think it's stretching it to say Phil worries about Italy and Spain.

I am not sure what that means. I never liked Hogan. Which in itself is neither here nor there. But he would not have gotten the Trade post if he had not been good at his job. I am not sorry to see the back of him personally. But the loss of the post , particularly at this time is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

People are going to make mistakes.

There were no "mistakes". He knew exactly what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

I think the main reason they stuck it so publicly to Hogan was because they (the Gov.) had been going through such a rocky time themselves. They didn't want to deal with any more flack.

thats my take on it as well. very shaky start for this coalition and lacked political coherence at a key time. We can say that ireland is a great country where same rules apply to the elite as to the average joe and there is some truth in that.
    However we have been playing a canny game in europe and had several key positions - Philip Lane, Pascal, Phil Hogan and thus were able to some degree influence the agenda.
    We have let a domestic issue spill over into Europe and this may possibly be detrimental us in the near future. Need other means of resolving political situations that don't involve resignations all round.

I am not sure what that means. I never liked Hogan. Which in itself is neither here nor there. But he would not have gotten the Trade post if he had not been good at his job. I am not sorry to see the back of him personally. But the loss of the post , particularly at this time is not good.

The Morrocan Ambassador would want to be having a sense of humour, he must really think we are some gang of Wasps and Blackberries. I can't imagine what they make of us in Marrakech. He must be shell shocked altogether, I hope he got a nice room for the night. Probably on the squiggy black the hooooer.

Calleary must be biting the table, what a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

I wonder what the Scandinavians, and the smaller European countries thought of Hogan angling for the WTO gig?

Where was all the hand wringing about the trade portfolio then? Bigger picture my hole! Arrogant, selfish politician finally got what he deserved. I hope the rest are taking notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

First Up wrote: »
    You just want to talk about Hogan.

Grand - I'll leave you to it.

In a thread about Phil Hogan, all people want to do is to deflect and talk about Phil Hogan.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I haven't followed most of the thread but I have seen very little sympathy for Hogan who has been arrogant and stupid. But by getting rid of him now are we (Ireland) doing more harm to Hogan or to ourselves?

Absolutely more harm to ourselves.

Hogan = arrogant ****er. (That’s the way he appears anyway, I don’t know him personally).
    Does that mean I want Ireland without a massive tactical advantage in future trade negotiations in the midst of a pandemic plus brexit on the horizon?
    No.
    He would’ve been better off left where he was.
    Take your anger out on the banks or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dammo wrote: »
    I wonder what the Scandinavians, and the smaller European countries thought of Hogan angling for the WTO gig?

Where was all the hand wringing about the trade portfolio then? Bigger picture my hole! Arrogant, selfish politician finally got what he deserved. I hope the rest are taking notes.

You can be sure they are..... on how not to get caught in future.

I guess the smugness from the scalpers will continue for a while.

Its Leo's to lose at this stage. Coveney must have a kick in his step, nice move.

Leo’s to lose what?
    To become a commissioner?
    Big question is will it be trade commissioner so he might be able to protect Ireland’s interests.
    I doubt it.

Dammo wrote: »

Grand.
    So is Ireland in a better or worse position for negotiating future trade deals since hogan was forced to resign?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

The Morrocan Ambassador would want to be having a sense of humour, he must really think we are some gang of Wasps and Blackberries. I can't imagine what they make of us in Marrakech. He must be shell shocked altogether, I hope he got a nice room for the night. Probably on the squiggy black the hooooer.

Calleary must be biting the table, what a shambles.

Who cares what they think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Really interesting to hear Clare Daly, who is not a supporter of Hogan by any means, saying that she is not that surprised that Hogan could have been confused given the testing system that was put in place for EU staff (including parliamentary members) to allow them to travel to their home countries and back without having to quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

This story has only been a minor news item in mainland Europe.

One piece of information that is seeping out is the Uschi is not amused with the Irish government

I have heard the behavior of the Irish has been referred to as a “Kasperle Theater”

Uschi has lost a valued member of the college - an expert negotiator - a man who had a great attention to detail

Let’s be clear here - the Irish government has shîtted on the doorstep of the EU commission

tom1ie wrote: »
    Grand.
    So is Ireland in a better or worse position for negotiating future trade deals since hogan was forced to resign?

We are in the same position.

Actually better because we can now save a bit of money on the catering.

• Advertisement

Who cares what they think?

Do you prefer the kill or the hunt?

Honest question btw?

Do you care?

Sorolla wrote: »

One piece of information that is seeping out is the Uschi is not amused with the Irish government

I have heard the behavior of the Irish has been referred to as a “Kasperle Theater”

Uschi has lost a valued member of the college - an expert negotiator - a man who had a great attention to detail

Let’s be clear here - the Irish government has shîtted on the doorstep of the EU commission

Great attention to detail?

The eejit couldn't even follow the written instructions or keep his lies organised.

Who is Hogan to you? Are you the son?

Honest question btw?

Do you care?

I like both equally.

Jizique wrote: »
    Really interesting to hear Clare Daly, who is not a supporter of Hogan by any means, saying that she is not that surprised that Hogan could have been confused given the testing system that was put in place for EU staff (including parliamentary members) to allow them to travel to their home countries and back without having to quarantine.

Not a phrase I ever expected to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Honest question btw?

Do you care?

Fair to say many of us on here enjoy accountability.

Still plenty that don't though.

Speaking of the kill, at least Hogan didn't kill someone when he was driving while on his phone.

Not a complicated law.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Speaking of the kill, at least Hogan didn't kill someone when he was driving while on his phone.

Not a complicated law.

I wanted to mention that in my own response but I'm glad I didn't as you said it much better.

We are in the same position.

Actually better because we can now save a bit of money on the catering.

How are we in the same position!!!
    So the trade commissioner for Europe, an Irishman, who had massive influence on trade deals and negotiations has been forced out by his fellow countrymen, with the trade portfolio most likely going to the french.
    Not only that we have completely pissed off the Eu by making make the decision to force hogan (I agree he is a complete ass hole) to resign.
    But yeah we are in the same position?!

Sorolla wrote: »

This is the hardest bit to understand. Why did the Gov. go so far out on a limb that would embarass and irritate the EU Commission ? And at this time ?

I get the short term gain of riding the populist wave but it makes their job regarding Brexit, trade and euro-tax consolidation so much more difficult. They won't get any thanks if those go badly - and people will have quickly forgotten Hogan.

This is the hardest bit to understand. Why did the Gov. go so far out on a limb that would embarass and irritate the EU Commission ? And at this time ?

I get the short term gain of riding the populist wave but it makes their job regarding Brexit, trade and euro-tax consolidation so much more difficult. They won't get any thanks if those go badly - and people will have quickly forgotten Hogan.

It’s bizarre and another fcuk up by the Irish leaders.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »

Not a complicated law.

Who cares ? He didn't kill jack shight, so why harp on about it? I would be more annoyed at Gardai giving him a pass. It is highly likely the story is heresay anyway, paper never refused ink.

Everyone does crap from time to time.

I am beginning to think there is a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

Who would you recommend to replace him, granted that I know that you have set the bar at driving etiquette? Crikey.

Advertisement