Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'm enjoying the amnesia of many here , Hogan wanted out some months back to go for the WTO job. Was he worried about the loss of the Trade gig to Ireland then? Was he f**k yet the amount of posters claiming it's a huge loss to Ireland. Seriously cop the feck on.
    He was told by his boss it was not appropriate for a sitting Commissioner to effectively be absent canvassing for another job. Those that backed Hogan for the trade Commission job, wonder how they felt about Hogan's disregard for the support.

The World Trade Organisation is in serious trouble because the US is pissed off with it. The EU & US have serious disputes over Airbus and Boeing which need to be resolved. Hogan was seen as someone who might have been able to bring the US around and as far as I know he was approached by some WTO countries to see if he would take the job. Bearing in mind that the US is Ireland's biggest export market, it is in our interests that the WTO is effective and not have the US flinging tariffs on Irish goods so that they become uncompetitive (butter and whiskey) because there is a dispute over Boeing and Airbus that isn't being resolved by the WTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

jm08 wrote: »
    An Irish Commissioner would be better for us because their trade philosophy is the same as Irelands (open trading) which is predominantly how the Northern Europeans think. The French (along with southern europeans) are far more protectionist which will be bad news for Ireland if France get the portfolio.

All reports of Hogan was that he was really on top of his brief. There is a video of a conference in Washington where he is a keynote speaker and he is very good in the Q&A part.

https://www.csis.org/events/refreshing-transatlantic-trade-relations

Its interesting (about 30 min in), he is asked what his brief is and he says that Ursula has asked him to reset the relationship between the EU-US.

First of all typing error in my post - I meant the group that cannot tell fiction from reality.

Second none of that is an explanation. What did you do? Cut and paste from Wikipedia?

The World Trade Organisation is in serious trouble because the US is pissed off with it. The EU & US have serious disputes over Airbus and Boeing which need to be resolved. Hogan was seen as someone who might have been able to bring the US around and as far as I know he was approached by some WTO countries to see if he would take the job. Bearing in mind that the US is Ireland's biggest export market, it is in our interests that the WTO is effective and not have the US flinging tariffs on Irish goods so that they become uncompetitive (butter and whiskey) because there is a dispute over Boeing and Airbus that isn't being resolved by the WTO.

Wow, so now Hogan was vital to the WTO?

I was not aware that Pili Hogan was a Jesus.

wrangler wrote: »
    He has had a great run, was he ever not elected, he's around nearly 40 years,.. elected first at 22.
    The dice always rolled right for him, he always came up smelling of roses even when he made a stupid move,
    Ireland's the joke of Europe ..........again

but I've a feeling the big Phil is not finished

How is Ireland the joke of Europe?

Explain.

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement

First of all typing error in my post - I meant the group that cannot tell fiction from reality.

Second none of that is an explanation. What did you do? Cut and paste from Wikipedia?

Can you not distinguish between different trade philosophies? Take for example the US who is now putting tariffs on everything which makes it much more difficult to sell into that market.

Ireland is completely different. You may often hear it described as a ''small, open economy''.

There are your two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's people in this Country who'd tell you that CJ was still running the show even when he was on his death bed. Some of them probably think he still is, even now :D

Is Big Phil about to also the enter the pantheon of politcial giants in the minds of village idiots?

markodaly wrote: »
    The trade agreement that was worth more to Ireland than it took away.

That is the nature of Trade agreements, you give a little, you take a little. That agreement, warts and all was actually very good for Ireland as a whole, but the farming lobby hated it, so they kicked up a fuss, which of course meant that the details were lost on everyone, because you know, who gives a **** about the details when outrage does just fine.

Ah yeah f*ck the farmers. its not like they produce top standard food for this country or anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

With mature reflection we will look back at this moment in our history with deep regret.

We either lose one of our most able national representatives...Simon Coveney or Leo Varadkar or lose the trade brief in the most important negotiations in our recent history...

Vomit. Be great to make Lieo a European problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Prodigious masturbation needs to commence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Attention now turns to who will be sent forward as commissioner from Ireland.
    It's unlikely to be Coveney because he is far too valuable and is required here during Brexit stuff.
    Would we put forward one of the women available because they are expendable? Or is the job much too significant and important to treat it like that?
    I just have visions of us advertising our progressive credentials and equality stuff by sending a woman forward but I'd feel it would be because the chosen person is expendable.
    The sheer fact Coveney would be retained here would be a serious compliment to him.

Coveney ran against Leo for leader of FG and the party membership voted in favour of Simon 2 to 1. He is Leos single biggest threat to the leadership of FG as he is far more popular with the FG grassroots than Leo is. Leo could nullify that threat by sending him off to Europe now. Sending Coveney kills two birds with the one stone because someone has to go anyway but there is upside for Leo politically in ensuring that it is Coveney. My guess is FG will put Coveney and Mairead McGuinness forward and Leo will be hoping Ursula picks Coveney. That way he removes his main political rival and Ursula does it for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

What about the others at the dinner. Banking minions and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

smurgen wrote: »
    Vomit. Be great to make Lieo a European problem.

These FG shills are all over Social Media today. It's organised and the msg Is always the same.

People say they are an elitist party but there's nothing elite about them.They are born into wealth or privilege, theres **** all intellect about them.

They are so desperate to keep their priveleged life.they sell themselves to the highest bidder.

Their whole reason for being is status and profit. West Brit, Brit loving Racists distraught that there is no TAN memorial .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Coveney ran against Leo for leader of FG and the party membership voted in favour of Simon 2 to 1. He is Leos single biggest threat to the leadership of FG as he is far more popular with the FG grassroots than Leo is. Leo could nullify that threat by sending him off to Europe now. Sending Coveney kills two birds with the one stone because someone has to go anyway but there is upside for Leo politically in ensuring that it is Coveney. My guess is FG will put Coveney and Mairead McGuinness forward and Leo will be hoping Ursula picks Coveney. That way he removes his main political rival and Ursula does it for him.

Or he may put Coveney and Fitzgerald forward in the full knowledge that Coveney would get the gig... hows that for a plan??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

These FG shills are all over Social Media today. It's organised and the msg Is always the same.

People say they are an elitist party but there's nothing elite about them.They are born into wealth or privilege, theres **** all intellect about them.

They are so desperate to keep their priveleged life.they sell themselves to the highest bidder.

Their whole reason for being is status and profit. West Brit, Brit loving Racists distraught that there is no TAN memorial .

Is there any politician or party different, no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Is there any politician or party different, no

You have a point, it's hard to distinguish them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Or he may put Coveney and Fitzgerald forward in the full knowledge that Coveney would get the gig... hows that for a plan??

Very cunning Sham, are you Bertie in disguise :D Or Leo could put Coveney and Helen McEntee together as she has experience in Brussels carrying around Simons briefcase and standing behind him for pieces to camera.
    What about the others at the dinner. Banking minions and the like.

Sunday newspapers could be interesting yet. Twitter rumours are saying it was 3 x vulture fund executives he invited, Hayes himself is saying it was 3 x school friends. Both claims could be true simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If he wants to go down that road, how about Coveney and Maria Bailey?:p

You have a point, it's hard to distinguish them alright.

I am always amused at those people singing the praises of the politicians in opposition that agree with them. Are people not aware that if those politicians were in power those same politicians would tell them to f off

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

People are saying Mairead McGuinness but surely commissioner is a step down from first Vice President of parliament?
    Coveney won’t go as he’s within an asses roar of becoming FG leader and Taoiseach as the grass roots have no time for Leo and his cosmopolitan lifestyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

On one hand I relish the thought of a by-election which could further weaken this government's position in the Dáil, but Coveney as potential trade commissioner is a rather depressing thought considering his utter devotion to opposing policies aimed at forcing Israel to comply with international law. Of course, it's also very possible that FG could win a by-election in the Cork South-Central constituency, but given the results of this year's election which saw him elected on the final count, it's easily possible that SF could win it. Would depend how the transfers would go, which is always a lot trickier to predict in a by-election for once seat than it is in a general with a multi-seat constituency - you're looking at entire vote totals transferring for parties which would have only had a much smaller surplus to transfer after winning a seat in the general.

Bambi wrote: »
    There's people in this Country who'd tell you that CJ was still running the show even when he was on his death bed. Some of them probably think he still is, even now :D

Is Big Phil about to also the enter the pantheon of politcial giants in the minds of village idiots?

The problem is they believe it too.

Can you not distinguish between different trade philosophies? Take for example the US who is now putting tariffs on everything which makes it much more difficult to sell into that market.

Ireland is completely different. You may often hear it described as a ''small, open economy''.

There are your two examples.

I won't know that until you explain it.

You are on the thread huffing and puffing but you can't even explain any of it.

Enough with the copy & paste from the EU Children's Puzzle and Activity website.

Sit down at your computer and give the detailed explaination you've been asked for to prove you know what you are talking abut.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

On one hand I relish the thought of a by-election which could further weaken this government's position in the Dáil, but Coveney as potential trade commissioner is a rather depressing thought considering his utter devotion to opposing policies aimed at forcing Israel to comply with international law. Of course, it's also very possible that FG could win a by-election in the Cork South-Central constituency, but given the results of this year's election which saw him elected on the final count, it's easily possible that SF could win it. Would depend how the transfers would go, which is always a lot trickier to predict in a by-election for once seat than it is in a general with a multi-seat constituency - you're looking at entire vote totals transferring for parties which would have only had a much smaller surplus to transfer after winning a seat in the general.

Who would run for FG in a CSC by-election? Jerry Buttimer is out for obvious reasons.

How did you come to that conclusion?

You have homework. I suggest you get to it

You have homework. I suggest you get to it

you can imagine the smirk on his face now.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-former-commissioner-phil-hogan-can-expect-golden-handshake-of-up-to-300000-39484926.html

And that's only a small percentage of what's to come for him.
    Do you still think we're not the joke of Europe
    We've a shook Government that yields to a lynch mob, sad sad sad

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

An Irish Commissioner would be better for us because their trade philosophy is the same as Irelands (open trading) which is predominantly how the Northern Europeans think. The French (along with southern europeans) are far more protectionist which will be bad news for Ireland if France get the portfolio.

All reports of Hogan was that he was really on top of his brief. There is a video of a conference in Washington where he is a keynote speaker and he is very good in the Q&A part.

https://www.csis.org/events/refreshing-transatlantic-trade-relations

Its interesting (about 30 min in), he is asked what his brief is and he says that Ursula has asked him to reset the relationship between the EU-US.

Just watched that video there incredible skills by hogan had that whole room in his pocket deserves to be paid twice as much. Not sure coveney could fill his shoes trump would wipe the floor with him probably lost the position anyways. what irks me most is the short sightedness of martin obviously wants to take some sf voters back but hell even mary lou wouldn't make a dumb ass move like that the story would have been buried already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Ah yeah f*ck the farmers. its not like they produce top standard food for this country or anything :rolleyes:

Farming groups were opposed to forcing Hogan out:

"No excuses
    None of this excuses the behaviour of Phil Hogan. His attendance at the Oireachtas Golf Society dinner was a spectacular misjudgement.

Dara Calleary, Jerry Buttimer, Sean O'Rourke and others have already paid a significant price for their attendance. The public feel abandoned and betrayed by their leaders.
    Micheál Martin must be raging. Wanting him to suffer is an understandable reacton. However, having Phil Hogan in the room in those last days of this year may help prevent a catastrophic crash-out by the British.
    Failing that, it will mean Europe will continue to engage with the UK's government in the early days of 2021, rather than leaving them to wallow in a mess entirely of their own creation.
    A different Commissioner for Trade might decide the British are more trouble than they are worth, and focus on other priorities. Belarus might matter more than Brexit to someone from Poland or Romania. Reforging links with the US under a new administration might be the leading issue for an Italian or Austrian.
    We need Phil Hogan to remain in his job more than we need to punish him for his part in "golfgate". He should be accountable for his actions, but realpolitik dictates that the price should not include his current job. Not for his sake, but for ours."
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/realpolitik-means-hogan-needs-to-keep-his-job-566597

And paid tribute after he was press ganged. I doubt it was personal affection. It was because he was effective on his job.

"IFA President Tim Cullinan said that Phil Hogan made a huge contribution during his five years as EU Commissioner for Agriculture, his recent tenure as Trade Commissioner and over his 40 years of public service.

“The Commissioner was a strong and respected voice for agriculture and Ireland in the college of Commissioners,” he said.

“He was particularly forthright on Brexit, pointing out from the start the dangers and pitfalls in the UK referendum, and especially during the EU-UK negotiations in standing up to the UK government when he ensured that the full implications for Ireland and Irish farmers remained to the forefront of considerations in Brussels,” he said.
    In 2019, the EU Commission provided a €50m fund for Irish beef farmers to be matched by national funding. While some of the terms and conditions, included by the bureaucrats, took some of the gloss off the scheme, it resulted in €78m going to beef farmers at the backend of last year which was very badly needed.

He initiated the Unfair Trading Practices Directive, which could prove to be an important turning point in ensuring a fairer food chain."

https://www.ifa.ie/ifa-president-acknowledges-huge-contribution-of-phil-hogan/

Just watched that video there incredible skills by hogan had that whole room in his pocket deserves to be paid twice as much. Not sure coveney could fill his shoes trump would wipe the floor with him probably lost the position anyways. what irks me most is the short sightedness of martin obviously wants to take some sf voters back but hell even mary lou wouldn't make a dumb ass move like that the story would have been buried already.

I've attended many of his presentations and would agree with what you're saying.
    There's not many countrIes short sighted enough to fire their representative out of one of the highest positions in the EU.
    We are a nation of begrudgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I've attended many of his presentations and would agree with what you're saying.
    There's not many countrIes short sighted enough to fire their representative out of one of the highest positions in the EU.
    We are a nation of begrudgers

Spouting Lie after Lie , The guy deserved the boot ,For 25 years he has been a disgrace , Leaking Budgets to the papers in 95 and he had to resign , Calling Journalists "Knackers" , Going to turn our water down to a trickle. Have a look at his history with Seamus Wolfe , He gave him 60k for 20 page report that ended up in a defamation case against Wicklow County Council.

Advertisement