Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

wrangler wrote: »
    We are a nation of begrudgers

And short-sighted fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

jm08 wrote: »
    An Irish Commissioner would be better for us because their trade philosophy is the same as Irelands (open trading) which is predominantly how the Northern Europeans think. The French (along with southern europeans) are far more protectionist which will be bad news for Ireland if France get the portfolio.

All reports of Hogan was that he was really on top of his brief. There is a video of a conference in Washington where he is a keynote speaker and he is very good in the Q&A part.

https://www.csis.org/events/refreshing-transatlantic-trade-relations

Its interesting (about 30 min in), he is asked what his brief is and he says that Ursula has asked him to reset the relationship between the EU-US.

FFS , The way it works all the Questions are planted in the Audience , He knows whats coming its as simple as that,

I've attended many of his presentations and would agree with what you're saying.
    There's not many countrIes short sighted enough to fire their representative out of one of the highest positions in the EU.

said this from Day 1! We are a nation of begrudgers. We are a deeply insecure people. People hate Phil Hogan and indeed most government ministers for their big salaries and pensions, yet wouldn't do the job for a day themselves.

Phil Hogan does not indear himself to most of us but on the World and European stage he was a smooth operator. His sheer height and presence meant he could command the room and command attention and had the respect of so many policitians. If one person could stand up to Trump it would be Phil Hogan.

We are a bunch of idiots and when I heard CLaire Daly saying last night that all MEPS are regularly tested SPECIFICALLY so they can travel about and do their jobs it made a lot more sense that Phil Hogan would have felt free to move around in Ireland. He didn't kill anyone, he has tested negative for Covid but the "we've all suffered" brigade wanted his head. Leo and MM are crowd pleasers first and foremost and decided to give the whingers what they were screaming for.

I heard one of the morning crew on Newstalk yesterday saying that "Phil Hogan can't have been that busy in Brussels if he could fly home to play golf"?? I mean FFS!! Its August, all Governments ministers across the EU and probably the World take their holidays in August. He is as much entitled to annual leave as that Newstalk presenter is!! But this is the kind of witch hunt that went on last week. The media played a blinder in all this .... Well done everyone! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If your boss doesn't trust you, you're toast.

https://www.facebook.com/45441411157/posts/10157724724466158/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

said this from Day 1! We are a nation of begrudgers. We are a deeply insecure people. People hate Phil Hogan and indeed most government ministers for their big salaries and pensions, yet wouldn't do the job for a day themselves.

Phil Hogan does not indear himself to most of us but on the World and European stage he was a smooth operator. His sheer height and presence meant he could command the room and command attention and had the respect of so many policitians. If one person could stand up to Trump it would be Phil Hogan.

We are a bunch of idiots and when I heard CLaire Daly saying last night that all MEPS are regularly tested SPECIFICALLY so they can travel about and do their jobs it made a lot more sense that Phil Hogan would have felt free to move around in Ireland. He didn't kill anyone, he has tested negative for Covid but the "we've all suffered" brigade wanted his head. Leo and MM are crowd pleasers first and foremost and decided to give the whingers what they were screaming for.

I heard one of the morning crew on Newstalk yesterday saying that "Phil Hogan can't have been that busy in Brussels if he could fly home to play golf"?? I mean FFS!! Its August, all Governments ministers across the EU and probably the World take their holidays in August. He is as much entitled to annual leave as that Newstalk presenter is!! But this is the kind of witch hunt that went on last week. The media played a blinder in all this .... Well done everyone! :mad:

You are Deluded...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I've attended many of his presentations and would agree with what you're saying.
    There's not many countrIes short sighted enough to fire their representative out of one of the highest positions in the EU.

There is lots and lots and lots of baggage attached to this man. His downfall was a long time coming. He's had failure after failure and has tried to quash many inquiries into irregularities attached to his political career.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hogan-rejects-planning-probe-26838632.html

TimHorton wrote: »
    Spouting Lie after Lie , The guy deserved the boot ,For 25 years he has been a disgrace , Leaking Budgets to the papers in 95 and he had to resign , Calling Journalists "Knackers" , Going to turn our water down to a trickle. Have a look at his history with Seamus Wolfe , He gave him 60k for 20 page report that ended up in a defamation case against Wicklow County Council.

Plenty of people don't like Phil. I don't. But he must have been doing something right to get the Trade job. And by Brussels reports he was a respectd performer.

Anyway, we have got rid of Hogan. The Government has pissed of Van der Leyen. We look like fools as the only EU country to have got rid of their Commissioner for a domestic issue - a serious one but not high crimes and misdemeanors.
    We will most probably lose the Trade commissionership. Even if we don't, it would take ar least a month for a new appoinment and at least a month more for someone to read themselves into the brief and make connections. Meanwhile Brexit counts down.

Leaving Hogan personally aside, do you seriously think we are better off now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

TimHorton wrote: »
    You are Deluded...

you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine ;)

1641 wrote: »
    Plenty of people don't like Phil. I don't. But he must have been doing something right to get the Trade job. And by Brussels reports he was a respectd performer.

Leaving Hogan personally aside, do you seriously think we are better off now
    ?

No. We are fools, and the whole of Europe must be laughing at us now. First our CEO of Bord Failte, then our Minister for Agriculture, then the European Trade Commissioner - all in the space of 3 weeks.

The media and "we've all suffered brigade" won. Sure we're a great bunch of lads altogether here in Ireland. Its not like we have a deep talent pool to replace all these people from !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just watched that video there incredible skills by hogan had that whole room in his pocket deserves to be paid twice as much. Not sure coveney could fill his shoes trump would wipe the floor with him probably lost the position anyways. what irks me most is the short sightedness of martin obviously wants to take some sf voters back but hell even mary lou wouldn't make a dumb ass move like that the story would have been buried already.

its a standard skill anyone has at that level or expertise in a job.
    Its part of my job that I can take and address any questions raised by executives regarding any issues within my area.
    So while it might seem impressive to you and I don't mean that as a slight on you its just basic knowledge to me and handled by a huge number of people within my company from lowly people such as myself right up to Senior VPs etc.

Now while I detest Hogan and his sheer arrogance and FG in general he should not have been hounded out of his job. If Hogan was a likable politician he would have gotten away with it but the man's a sheer ahole. Sometimes you need one of those for things like Brexit etc.

Anyway, we have got rid of Hogan. The Government has pissed of Van der Leyen. We look like fools as the only EU country to have got rid of their Commissioner for a domestic issue - a serious one but not high crimes and misdemeanors.
    We will most probably lose the Trade commissionership. Even if we don't, it would take ar least a month for a new appoinment and at least a month more for someone to read themselves into the brief and make connections. Meanwhile Brexit counts down.

Leaving Hogan personally aside, do you seriously think we are better off now?

Actually according to the link I posted form the Times Hogan pissed off Von Der Leyen ,not our government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Longest political wake in the history of boards. Not satisfied with their pound of flesh the warriors keep coming in to dance on the dudes grave.

Get over it , he has already.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Blazer wrote: »
    its a standard skill anyone has at that level or expertise in a job.
    Its part of my job that I can take and address any questions raised by executives regarding any issues within my area.
    So while it might seem impressive to you and I don't mean that as a slight on you its just basic knowledge to me and handled by a huge number of people within my company from lowly people such as myself right up to Senior VPs etc.

Now while I detest Hogan and his sheer arrogance and FG in general he should not have been hounded out of his job. If Hogan was a likable politician he would have gotten away with it but the man's a sheer ahole. Sometimes you need one of those for things like Brexit etc.

He told lie after lie...he was never going to get away with it...likeable or not.

There was no handwringing and gnashing of teeth about losing a Commissioner when he was thinking, with the support of the FG government, of jumping ship to the WTO.

He told lie after lie...he was never going to get away with it...likeable or not.

There was no handwringing and gnashing of teeth about losing a Commissioner when he was thinking, with the support of the FG government, of jumping ship to the WTO.

He was less than honest with Ursula his boss. Being dishonest with your boss is not a good career move tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Longest political wake in the history of boards. Not satisfied with their pound of flesh the warriors keep coming in to dance on the dudes grave.

Get over it , he has already.

I'd say it is also the longest bootlicking session.

The love you people have for this guy is comical - he'd sell you all to slavers and run over your relatives as easy as anyone else.

Those mourning the loss of this "towering figure of Ireland" are just as rsposivble for the keeping the thread going.

And it is time to move on. Those TDs need to go.

If Hogan is "over it already" then why are you still wetting the bed about it? Move on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Should've just quit while you were ahead.
    time to unfollow this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Maybe we are entering an era of new politics. Maybe the resignations of the 2 FF ministers and the FG Commissioner finally show politicians that they are never too elite/big/arrogant/important to fail. Wrong is wrong and dishonesty will not be tolerated. We can only hope. The public should be proud that their outrage over the Clifden Elite party was acutely felt in Dublin and Brussels.

From Fine Gael's New Politics document in 2011...
    Fine Gael, the party that created the State and declared it a Republic, will build a New Republic in Ireland - where trust is restored in our democratic institutions and the concerns of the Citizen, rather than the elites, are placed firmly at the centre of government.

Good morning everyone.

Actually according to the link I posted form the Times Hogan pissed off Von Der Leyen ,not our government.

The whole thing created an embarrassment for Der Leyen, especially the pressure she was put under by the Irish government. Other wise she would gladly have looked the other way- whatever she thought of Hogan's behaviour. Doing his job efffectively is all that matters. Much bigger transgressions get overlooked because they are not raised to the extent to cause embarrassment - and never by a commissioner's own government.

Anyway, it looks like a Latvian will look after trade in the interim.I am sure they will be well versed in the intricacies of Brexit and its effect on the Irish border and the Good Friday Agreement!

"Commission president Ursula von der Leyen raised the prospect of a reshuffle of her cabinet, casting doubt on whether Ireland could hold on to the portfolio, which is much coveted by other member states.....

It is up to Dr von der Leyen to allocate jobs as she chooses, subject to getting the European Parliament’s green light, and she could opt to move the current commissioner of another member state into the trade role and allocate Ireland whatever vacancy arises.....
    The second-time commissioner and former Latvian prime minister, Valdis Dombrovskis, has been given responsibility for trade until a final decision is made.
    The trade role is a deeply significant one, involving the daily management of affairs with the EU’s global trading partners, with opportunities to shape policy internationally through the bloc’s economic might.
    Although in Ireland the role is seen as important in the light of trade talks with Britain, across the EU the position is a key prize in a struggle between member states that are pro-free-trade and those with more protectionist instincts stoked by recent disruption to supply chains during the coronavirus pandemic."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/battle-for-eu-trade-commissioner-role-begins-in-wake-of-hogan-resignation-1.4340513

Can you post that link again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Watch the video to see why he was jumping to WTO its to solve the trade deals with the US.

The whole thing created an embarrassment for Der Leyen, especially the pressure she was put under by the Irish government. Other wise she would gladly have looked the other way- whatever she thought of Hogan's behaviour. Doing his job efffectively is all that matters. Much bigger transgressions get overlooked because they are not raised to the extent to cause embarrassment - and never by a commissioner's own government.

Anyway, it looks like a Latvian will look after trade in the interim.I am sure they will be well versed in the intricacies of Brexit and its effect on the Irish border and the Good Friday Agreement!

"Commission president Ursula von der Leyen raised the prospect of a reshuffle of her cabinet, casting doubt on whether Ireland could hold on to the portfolio, which is much coveted by other member states.....

It is up to Dr von der Leyen to allocate jobs as she chooses, subject to getting the European Parliament’s green light, and she could opt to move the current commissioner of another member state into the trade role and allocate Ireland whatever vacancy arises.....
    The second-time commissioner and former Latvian prime minister, Valdis Dombrovskis, has been given responsibility for trade until a final decision is made.
    The trade role is a deeply significant one, involving the daily management of affairs with the EU’s global trading partners, with opportunities to shape policy internationally through the bloc’s economic might.
    Although in Ireland the role is seen as important in the light of trade talks with Britain, across the EU the position is a key prize in a struggle between member states that are pro-free-trade and those with more protectionist instincts stoked by recent disruption to supply chains during the coronavirus pandemic."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/battle-for-eu-trade-commissioner-role-begins-in-wake-of-hogan-resignation-1.4340513

Phil wasn't forthright and honest with his boss, end of story he had to go. You might be ok working alongside a liar Ursula obviously is not.

Watch the video to see why he was jumping to WTO its to solve the trade deals with the US.

So then he was not vital to Ireland in the Trade Commissioner post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Have you posts on this site giving out about him possibly deserting us as an essential accessory to Ireland in his formal role as commissioner, at the time it was being reported he was wanting to jump ship to the WTO?

For balance like.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

So then he was not vital to Ireland in the Trade Commissioner post.

Billions of euros lost in investment hard to replace.

Whatever about internal politics but cheering his departure is clapping because your teammate got a red card.

Phil wasn't forthright and honest with his boss, end of story he had to go. You might be ok working alongside a liar Ursula obviously is not.

As you know perfectly well, Ursula would not have cared two fiddlers if Hogan was not being hounded in Ireland. She would not even have asked questions. This is an Irish Trade Commissioner hounded out by the Irish themselves. It is not shooting ourselves in the foot for short term emotional thrill - it is shooting ourselves in both feet.

Give over Francie. A Gerry Adams ("I was never in the IRA" ) fanboy complaining about a lie! Beyond irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Whatever about internal politics but cheering his departure is clapping because your teammate got a red card.

#notmyteammate

Advertisement