Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

1641 wrote: »
    As you know perfectly well, Ursula would not have cared two fiddlers if Hogan was not being hounded in Ireland. She would not even have asked questions. This is an Irish Trade Commissioner hounded out by the Irish themselves. It is not shooting ourselves in the foot for short term emotional thrill - it is shooting ourselves in both feet.

I am thrilled. Genuinely.

And you Sir are wearing the best blinkers I have ever seen. Where did you get them?

Wise up ffs. I am not even going to bother explaining how wrong you are. Read the thread.

Cheerleaders for dishonest liars. That's Ireland.

I'd say it is also the longest bootlicking session.

The love you people have for this guy is comical - he'd sell you all to slavers and run over your relatives as easy as anyone else.

the mad thing is I don't like Phil Hogan at all. I think he is arrogant, a trait I hate, I think he is a slime ball and perceives himself as above us all. HOWEVER I do not agree with the witch hunt we witnessed last week, the media hunt, the frenzy, the drooling and foaming outrage, the "we've all suffered brigade".............we are seeing this over and over and over again. Our answer to everything is to fire people or whinge and whine about it on Twitter, News Apps, Liveline, Boards.........but would any of be any different if we were in his shoes? I would imagine when you are that high up in the EU you probably think you have a bit of immunity. I know I would ...........because unlike many posters here I am being honest.

I despise double standards and I think most of us are being hugely dishonest about our motives. Begrudgery is at the root of an awful lot of this and its a particularly Irish trait. We are deeply insecure as a people.

So I don't love Phil Hogan at all, in fact I dislike him. (However I also believe we should all be paying for our water in this country. I have kids in Vancouver and London and they both pay water charges).

I think we were mad to hunted Phil Hogan out of office, people are literally foaming at the mouth at their keyboards in this country...........trainee solicitors on Boards calling people "fat turds"? :confused::confused:

So I really will leave this time and leave ye to it. Cheers :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Give over Francie. A Gerry Adams ("I was never in the IRA" ) fanboy complaining about a lie! Beyond irony.

Another arbiter of what a 'lie' is?

That Hogan was lying was proved beyond doubt...statement no. 2 correcting the lie...turned out to be another lie...statement no. 3 correcting that lie turned out to be another lie...so on and so forth until Ursula said 'enough'.

Has it been proved beyond a doubt that Adams was in the IRA (has it been proved that anyone actually cares) ....em, no it hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

the mad thing is I don't like Phil Hogan at all. I think he is arrogant, a trait I hate, I think he is a slime ball and perceives himself as above us all. HOWEVER I do not agree with the witch hunt we witnessed last week, the media hunt, the frenzy, the drooling and foaming outrage, the "we've all suffered brigade".............we are seeing this over and over and over again. Our answer to everything is to fire people or whinge and whine about it on Twitter, News Apps, Liveline, Boards.........but would any of be any different if we were in his shoes? I would imagine when you are that high up in the EU you probably think you have a bit of immunity. I know I would ...........because unlike many posters here I am being honest.

I despise double standards and I think most of us are being hugely dishonest about our motives. Begrudgery is at the root of an awful lot of this and its a particularly Irish trait. We are deeply insecure as a people.

So I don't love Phil Hogan at all, in fact I dislike him. (However I also believe we should all be paying for our water in this country. I have kids in Vancouver and London and they both pay water charges).

I think we were mad to hunted Phil Hogan out of office, people are literally foaming at the mouth at their keyboards in this country...........trainee solicitors on Boards calling people "fat turds"? :confused::confused:

So I really will leave this time and leave ye to it. Cheers :):)

You are right. As a country we have showed a nasty trait over this period. Who would want to be a politician or public servant If you can never ever make a mistake. We have all made mistakes in judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

You are right. As a country we have showed a nasty trait over this period. Who would want to be a politician or public servant If you can never ever make a mistake. We have all made mistakes in judgement.

Well, you see, we now have a Latvian commissioner in Trade, and no Irish commissioner at all, as Brexit reaches the end game. That a win, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Another arbiter of what a 'lie' is?

That Hogan was lying was proved beyond doubt...statement no. 2 correcting the lie...turned out to be another lie...statement no. 3 correcting that lie turned out to be another lie...so on and so forth until Ursula said 'enough'.

Has it been proved beyond a doubt that Adams was in the IRA (has it been proved that anyone actually cares) ....em, no it hasn't.

And the unadulterated bull**** continues.

The 'bull****' is that another politician's behaviour excuses this politician...the subject of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Longest political wake in the history of boards. Not satisfied with their pound of flesh the warriors keep coming in to dance on the dudes grave.

Get over it , he has already.

No he's a scumbag. Had it coming along long time.

"You knackers! We'll put manners on you - Phil Hogan's threat to our journalists

Phil Hogan, the Environment Minister, has branded the Sunday Independent and another newspaper as "knackers" and threatened to "put manners" on us for publishing pictures of himself and his now former press secretary in Doha on Budget day.

Phil Hogan, the Environment Minister, has branded the Sunday Independent and another newspaper as "knackers" and threatened to "put manners" on us for publishing pictures of himself and his now former press secretary in Doha on Budget day.

Last Thursday, Mr Hogan accused this newspaper of engaging in a "disgraceful game" and threatened: "We will put manners on you." Mr Hogan was reacting to coverage of himself in recent months.

On the day of the Budget, at which the property tax was announced and child benefit and respite care were cut, the Irish Daily Mail published pictures of Mr Hogan in Doha in the company of his then press secretary."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/you-knackers-well-put-manners-on-you-phil-hogans-threat-to-our-journalists-29105543.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Do you honestly believe that Phil Hogan really bought very much to the table except as a focal point for his various funders and backers?

Like any of those positions the real work on any of his briefs was done by a team, which is still in place, he would have been handed the page and his job was to read it as if he written it, but all of the real work would have been done beforehand by the people in the background whose job it is to make this stuff work.

What really matters to us as a country is that the work of those teams continues and that our interests are represented on those teams.

I don't for one minute believe that Ireland's interests were more than co-incidentally aligned to the interests of PH and the "Golf Society" or that a conflict in those interests would be resolved in the national interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

smurgen wrote: »

"You knackers! We'll put manners on you - Phil Hogan's threat to our journalists

Last Thursday, Mr Hogan accused this newspaper of engaging in a "disgraceful game" and threatened: "We will put manners on you." Mr Hogan was reacting to coverage of himself in recent months.

On the day of the Budget, at which the property tax was announced and child benefit and respite care were cut, the Irish Daily Mail published pictures of Mr Hogan in Doha in the company of his then press secretary."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/you-knackers-well-put-manners-on-you-phil-hogans-threat-to-our-journalists-29105543.html

Interesting to see a Sinn Fein supporter calling out scumbags

The preamble tells you all you need to know about the paper that reported this, on the day when child benefit was cut and property tax was announced , as if that was anything to do with it

• Advertisement

The 'bull****' is that another politician's behaviour excuses this politician...the subject of the thread.

I could not give a fig about Hogan personally. But I do care about the damage the loss of the trade commissionership does to Ireland, particularly at this moment wuth a disorderly Brexit looking increasingly possible. Interesting that the Shinners, with their professed concern about this issue and its impact on the border, have decided to pile in for the short term political gain. Cynical politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Loads will want to be politicians and public servants.

But what has happened may put off the charlatans.

Hogan has made some amount of mistakes and all that's happened is that he's been richly rewarded all along the way.

Even getting his cosy, dodgy loans off Fingers.

I think we need to be asking people on here, just what it would take to have these wasters run out of their jobs?

I could not give a fig about Hogan personally. But I do care about the damage the loss of the trade commissionership does to Ireland, particularly at this moment wuth a disorderly Brexit looking increasingly possible. Interesting that the Shinners, with their professed concern about this issue and its impact on the border, have decided to pile in for the short term political gain. Cynical politics.

This is a question I think you need to answer.

Can you point us to posts you made when the Irish Government were supporting his bid to go to the WTO?

If there is anything 'cynical' it is the sudden concern for this role of Trade Commissioner. What I think it is, is good old fashioned butt hurt that FG had to pay the price and that the contagion spread.
    It would be great to get Regina Doherty back in an RTE studio to see if she would be engaging in her subtle (as a Meath navvy's sledgehammer) attempts to shift and focus all the blame on FF, which she was sent out to do last Saturday.

That old maxim again: A week is a long time in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And the end of that piece:
    Last year, it was reported that Mr Hogan was forced to apologise in writing to John Bruton's former administrator, Anne O'Connell, for a crude sexual "insult" delivered at an Oireachtas golf outing in Connemara.

Ms O'Connell described in her letter to Mr Kenny how she felt "completely traumatised" after Mr Hogan spoke to her in a manner that was "demeaning, insulting and degrading".

A class act, indeed. :rolleyes:

Should have been run out of political life years ago.

Or is this just another "mistake" he should have been allowed make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I'm just worried in case he ends up working in my local Burger King next week, they've a great bunch of staff in there serving some really nice food..... I just don't want Phil Hogan in there f**king everything up.........

..............Yep......Food has gone to s**t in there since.........:(

I hope Ursula von der Leyen sees some negative consequences of her staunch defence of Hogan when it was as clear as day he was acting the Pr**k - Really didn't like the line she took patronising us all and telling us he was a Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

And he did indeed put manners on them eventually

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/phil-hogan-receives-defamation-damages-over-traveller-stories-1.2719059

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Let's all get down on our hands and knees and kiss his hole for him then.
    Fcuk off with your anti sf ****

I knew if there was one place in the whole of ireland that there would be some defending the likes of Hogan for whatever reason it would be on boards.ie. wasnt disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Billcarson wrote: »
    Let's all get down on our hands and knees and kiss his hole for him then.
    Fcuk off with your anti sf ****

Given the overwhelming force of that rigorous, well-reasoned argument, there is really nothing more to be said.
    Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Given the overwhelming force of that rigorous, well-reasoned argument, there is really nothing more to be said.
    Bye.

Dont need a well reasoned argument when it comes to that filth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bye.

Did you write that out with a straight face? C'mon now fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This is a question I think you need to answer.

Can you point us to posts you made when the Irish Government were supporting his bid to go to the WTO?

If there is anything 'cynical' it is the sudden concern for this role of Trade Commissioner. What I think it is, is good old fashioned butt hurt that FG had to pay the price and that the contagion spread.
    It would be great to get Regina Doherty back in an RTE studio to see if she would be engaging in her subtle (as a Meath navvy's sledgehammer) attempts to shift and focus all the blame on FF, which she was sent out to do last Saturday.

That old maxim again: A week is a long time in politics.

Francie, either posts - Hogan as EU Trade Commissioner or as Sec. General of World Trade Organisation - would have been beneficial to both Ireland and the EU, but particularly Ireland because of our relationship with the US which is our biggest export market. We have now lost both these key influential trade positions.

Ireland has a very close relationship with the US and have very good contacts there when it comes to trade. The fact that he speaks English as his first language is also very helpful.

I personally can't stand Hogan, but comments from colleagues in the EU & elsewhere suggest that he is a really good political operator who is always on top of his brief.

The Irish Times did an article about Brexit diplomacy.

Up to a dozen delegations from Dublin came to Brussels for technical briefings with Barnier’s officials, outlining Ireland’s concerns and providing detailed assurances that they could be addressed within the framework of the EU treaties.
    Then Phil Hogan went to a funeral. The EU agriculture commissioner’s staff in Brussels were surprised when he told them he was travelling to Orléans to attend the funeral of Xavier Beulin, a French farmers’ leader.
    They seemingly didn’t understand the irresistible attraction of such events for an Irish politician.

At the funeral, Barnier greeted Hogan at the cathedral and introduced him to a succession of top French politicians, including Nicolas Sarkozy and Emmanuel Macron.
    Hogan and Barnier bonded, and the Irish commissioner managed to open other doors at the Berlaymont for his colleagues in Dublin.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/how-ireland-achieved-a-crucial-brexit-coup-1.3066703

Since Agriculture is going to be a key issues for both US and UK trade deals, it was important that the EU had someone who knew the situation inside out in Europe as a former Agriculture Commissioners.

Hogan is obviously a good negotiator and being Irish, has a unique connection to the US, that other countries just don't have. Thats a loss to both EU and Ireland. Martin Selmyr (former Sec. Gen. of EU and now EU rep in Austria) tweeted that without Phil Hogan there would have been no Japan-EU trade deal (which is very good for Irish Agriculture), or easing of tensions between EU & US with Juncker agreement.

jm08 wrote: »
    Francie, either posts - Hogan as EU Trade Commissioner or as Sec. General of World Trade Organisation - would have been beneficial to both Ireland and the EU, but particularly Ireland because of our relationship with the US which is our biggest export market. We have now lost both these key influential trade positions.

Ireland has a very close relationship with the US and have very good contacts there when it comes to trade. The fact that he speaks English as his first language is also very helpful.

I personally can't stand Hogan, but comments from colleagues in the EU & elsewhere suggest that he is a really good political operator who is always on top of his brief.

The Irish Times did an article about Brexit diplomacy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/how-ireland-achieved-a-crucial-brexit-coup-1.3066703

Since Agriculture is going to be a key issues for both US and UK trade deals, it was important that the EU had someone who knew the situation inside out in Europe as a former Agriculture Commissioners.

Hogan is obviously a good negotiator and being Irish, has a unique connection to the US, that other countries just don't have. Thats a loss to both EU and Ireland. Martin Selmyr (former Sec. Gen. of EU and now EU rep in Austria) tweeted that without Phil Hogan there would have been no Japan-EU trade deal (which is very good for Irish Agriculture), or easing of tensions between EU & US with Juncker agreement.

Which is by the by.

I was asking where was this poster's concern at the time?

By the way...why is it a 'surprise' that he was good at his job? Ireland or the EU is not about one man nor should it ever be allowed to be that way.

I would never stand over a precedent that one man is too big/important that he can drive a coach and four through accountability.

Which is by the by.

I was asking where was this poster's concern at the time?

By the way...why is it a 'surprise' that he was good at his job? Ireland or the EU is not about one man nor should it ever be allowed to be that way.

I would never stand over a precedent that one man is too big/important that he can drive a coach and four through accountability.

And I just pointed out that there would have been no concern because both positions are influential. I'd be concerned that we don't have that influence anymore and we will have possibly a Lativian Commissioner talking about his native country to all those very influential American people.

I don't think it would be a problem replacing him, as long as its an Irish person of equal standing getting the job as Trade Commissioner. If the Gov. send someone inexperienced of the Commission with no ministerial experience, Ireland will not get the Trade portfolio and I'd worry that FFG might just do that to save their own parties from losing a senior person and facing a byelection which would be lost.

Edit: Just for the record, Ireland have had some really well regarded Commissioners in the EU - Ray McSharry, Peter Sutherland, David Byrne & Hogan. Agriculture seemingly is an extremely tricky portfolio as you have to deal with the very militant French farmers!

And I just pointed out that there would have been no concern because both positions are influential. I'd be concerned that we don't have that influence anymore and we will have possibly a Lativian Commissioner talking about his native country to all those very influential American people.

I don't think it would be a problem replacing him, as long as its an Irish person of equal standing getting the job as Trade Commissioner. If the Gov. send someone inexperienced of the Commission with no ministerial experience, Ireland will not get the Trade portfolio and I'd worry that FFG might just do that to save their own parties from losing a senior person and facing a byelection which would be lost.

Edit: Just for the record, Ireland have had some really well regarded Commissioners in the EU - Ray McSharry, Peter Sutherland, David Byrne & Hogan. Agriculture seemingly is an extremely tricky portfolio as you have to deal with the very militant French farmers!

I heaved a sigh of relief that VDL resolved this.
    Imagine the crisis here had she allowed him to stay on (I didn't believe he truly fell on his own sword btw)
    A commissioner we had no confidence in? Disaster really.
    Phil drove into the cul de sac himself and there was no reverse in the car when he continued to lie. It's as simple as that.
    We have to dust ourselves down now and get on with it thanks to a rogue FG member.

I heaved a sigh of relief that VDL resolved this.
    Imagine the crisis here had she allowed him to stay on (I didn't believe he truly fell on his own sword btw)
    A commissioner we had no confidence in? Disaster really.
    Phil drove into the cul de sac himself and there was no reverse in the car when he continued to lie. It's as simple as that.
    We have to dust ourselves down now and get on with it thanks to a rogue FG member.

Well I had full confidence in him as an EU Trade Commissioner.

Clare Daly was on Prime Time last night where she explained that in Brussels MEPs get tested and so are free to move around and travel back and forth to their own country. I imagine the situation is similar for the Commission. Even she was saying that its easy to understand why Hogan thought he was ok as he had been getting Covid tested. I suppose thats why Ursula vdl was warning all EU staff and MPs to check out and abide by local rules in countries that they are visiting.

Clare Daly was on Prime Time last night where she explained that in Brussels MEPs get tested and so are free to move around and travel back and forth to their own country. I imagine the situation is similar for the Commission. Even she was saying that its easy to understand why Hogan thought he was ok as he had been getting Covid tested. I suppose thats why Ursula vdl was warning all EU staff and MPs to check out and abide by local rules in countries that they are visiting.

Again that is by the by. You can't gloss over what he did after Clifden and the position he put people in.

I was also listening to somebody expert in the EU who was saying there would undoubtedly be a residue of annoyance that he had signalled going to the WTO factoring into his fate.

End of the day...he ****ed up all on his own and blaming 'the Irish' for being rash or stupid, grates tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Clare Daly defending Hogan? That can't be right, surely?

Uriel. wrote: »
    Clare Daly defending Hogan? That can't be right, surely?

I thought she was very reasonable on Hogan and on a prospective replacement tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

arrogance was Phil's down fall , he didn't have popular support , maybe he though he was Robin hood in his mind , but he has such a thick head , in the clouds , that he could not relate to the people of ireland , they had no sympathy for him .
    yes people should and are entitled to has a higher standing in the community for all the hard work they do and the wages and education they have , but really it has to be managed , in all circumstances , and be kind , on a level with the ordinary people , especially when circumstances require .
    also there are people out there who dont know there place in society , there are many jumps on the ladder , and some jump ups too get under my nerve .
    I know millionaire who are so modest you wont even know , and I know a thousand more who haven't a bean , but have nice clothes ,car and holidays but await the pay cheque each week ,but are totally up their own ass,

quinn wasn't too big to fail , and big phil wasn't either

Advertisement