Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

Excellent article in the FT this morning, I can’t link to it, but it’s available through google news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Excellent article in the FT this morning, I can’t link to it, but it’s available through google news.

Do you subscribe to ft?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Cyrus wrote: »
    You won’t be getting an apology because I don’t owe you one, you had time to thank a load of posts but not reply so go figure .

I won't be getting one because I don't want it. Rubbish gets thrown out, not taken in.

Jog on now, loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭embraer170

Issuing a strong apology on day one fully admitting his terrible mistake, bad judgement and apologising to all those he hurt might have avoided the start of a big witch hunt into his movements and tour of Ireland.

I am still trying to figure out if that radio interview extract where he is apparently saying he would not have been stopped had they known he was a Commissioner is genuine or some fake.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Issuing a strong apology on day one fully admitting his terrible mistake, bad judgement and apologising to all those he hurt might have avoided the start of a big witch hunt into his movements and tour of Ireland.

I am still trying to figure out if that radio interview extract where he is apparently saying he would not have been stopped had they known he was a Commissioner is genuine or some fake.

One site claims it was part of the TV interview with Connelly thatRTE cut out.

I doubt very that RTÉ would cut such a thing - it would have made the story even bigger.

And as far as I remember Hogan explains the person he is talking too who the Gardaí are - so it is not an Irish interviewer.

Did any news media in Ireland cover that? I haven;'t seen anything but the media have been sideline the part of the story about the phone and the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I doubt very that RTÉ would cut such a thing - it would have made the story even bigger.

And as far as I remember Hogan explains the person he is talking too who the Gardaí are - so it is not an Irish interviewer.

Did any news media in Ireland cover that? I haven;'t seen anything but the media have been sideline the part of the story about the phone and the Guards.

I've seen that video posted a couple of times but I'm not sure which thread it is in.

I'm nearly certain it is in the main interview with Connelly.

He doesn't say explicitly that "if they knew who I was they wouldn't have stopped me". It wasn't said in that tone, not quite anyway.

You need to listen carefully because it's easy to miss. He was talking fast and trying to get to another point himself so he didn't emphasise it. I don't think he realised what he had said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes, exactly analogous to

JCo90qiqTkGwcSXi.jpg

Do you subscribe to ft?

No, it popped up on Google News app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

An article from Politico.EU. Ursula bets on Ethics.
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1299569386630582274?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It was Tony Connolly on RTE:

An explanation from Tony's twitter account where he says that the interview was 25 minutes long and had to be cut back to 10 minutes which is what RTE did. His interpretation of that incident.

"I was stopped by a member of the Irish police in relation to putting a phone...in answering a call...to my ear is certainly...ha, like if they knew I was a European Commissioner or a politician they wouldn't be stopping me: police were doing their job and doing it well."

Tony Connelly RTE: 3/ Was he saying that, literally, if Gardai knew he was a Commissioner they wouldn't have stopped him? Or was he saying, *as if* Gardai knew he was a Commissioner they wouldn't have stopped him. His next words were: "the police were doing their job and doing it well."

But, up to the public to decide...
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1298965047000039424

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    It was Tony Connolly on RTE:

An explanation from Tony's twitter account where he says that the interview was 25 minutes long and had to be cut back to 10 minutes which is what RTE did. His interpretation of that incident.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1298965047000039424

Thank you for the correction. Been a long time since I refered to or heard of the Guards being called Irish police so I thought he must be speaking a foreign journalist.

A strange thing to cut but then the driving with the phone and the leak of this clip didn't cause much stir - maybe RTÉ knew it was much on people's minds

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

1641 wrote: »
    And short-sighted fools.

More like a countey full of slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No, it popped up on Google News app

Possibly this?

https://www.ft.com/content/bc43d105-c594-4aa6-9c09-6513f4c3f349

Am surprised there's not more gloating + usual anti EU and anti Irish sneers from UK media. A bit of it in that article (they really cannot help themselves) but I suppose hard to enjoy it as much as they might have. Entire UK media went for Dominic Cummings and public was angry with him too, but he is still there pulling strings (as article mentions). Unlike Hogan or other Commissioners (they are ex domestic high level politicians afair (?) held ministries and the like) he has never had the "smell test" of being elected by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Thank you for the correction. Been a long time since I refered to or heard of the Guards being called Irish police so I thought he must be speaking a foreign journalist.

A strange thing to cut but then the driving with the phone and the leak of this clip didn't cause much stir - maybe RTÉ knew it was much on people's minds

Using Police instead of Guards not unusual for someone living outside of Ireland for a couple of years.

Tony Connelly explains why it was cut - it was too long at 25 mins. and they had to cut it to 10 mins (which was still considered to be too long) and they had about 20 minutes to do it for 6-1 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Has our lust for a pound of flesh been satiated yet? Can we move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jm08 wrote: »
    Using Police instead of Guards not unusual for someone living outside of Ireland for a couple of years.

Tony Connelly explains why it was cut - it was too long at 25 mins. and they had to cut it to 10 mins (which was still considered to be too long) and they had about 20 minutes to do it for 6-1 news.

yeah thats the way it went down, an edited interview was shown on 6.1 and about 2 hours later Tony Connolly tweeted a video clip of Hogan saying if the Gardai knew who he was they wouldnt of stopped him. It was a real WTF moment given recent history with Gardai letting sports players, judges, newspaper editors, politicians, etc off their penalty points. I found it hard to believe that RTE didnt find some way of including it because it was a story within a story.

The full 25 minute version of the interview is on twitter, likely Tony Connollys account somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

No. Plenty more targets, and thats even before we get to Ronan Keating, Twink and the Healys Rae

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

A good article by Paul Gillespie in today's IT:

"Phil Hogan’s departure as EU trade commissioner weakens Ireland just as trade becomes a crucial issue in the changing geopolitics of global economics.

Hogan’s success in helping deliver EU trade deals with Japan and Mercosur as EU agriculture commissioner from 2015, together with his skill as a political negotiator respected and feared by international counterparts, made him an obvious choice for the trade portfolio in this more avowedly geopolitical Commission. Since then, his role in US, China and Brexit negotiations and in initiating an overall review of EU trade policy underlined his first-rank status...............

....Ireland is unusual among small developed states in its exposure to and participation in three of the rich world’s cores: the European Union, the United Kingdom and the United States. During the last three globalising decades, Irish policymakers skilfully negotiated their way within and between them as a small open economy and polity dealing with all three. Large investment and trade flows from the US are linked to lower corporate taxation in the most open parts of the economy while the more sheltered domestic agriculture and smaller company sectors benefitted from EU funding and continuing access to UK markets.

Convergent globalisation policies between the three cores benefitted Ireland; that picture changes as they diverge more in present conditions. Brexit is the most dramatic example; but for its supporters, departure from the EU is predicated on a deepening US-EU divide. Ireland could become the boundary between such divergent regulatory and trading regimes in a no-deal Brexit outcome. That would pile two more shocks on the Covid one, an unsustainable burden.

This is the real context in which to evaluate Hogan’s departure as EU trade commissioner. The job put him at the centre of negotiations between these three cores as an advocate of Irish interests and concerns. Wherever the faults lie, his going is “an enormous strategic loss for Ireland”, as Barry Andrews MEP puts it. Ireland is weaker in consequence – not least because Irish political and media decisions and commentary on him systematically underestimated this global dimension."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/world-view-ireland-is-weaker-due-to-hogan-s-departure-1.4340408

Nope, in the end every attendee at that dinner is going to know what it is like to be surrounded by an angry mob threatening them thusly:

?s=fatherted&e=S01E05&i=S01E05-aSZrZ8fZ&t1=I%27LL%20STICK%20THIS%20EFFING%20PITCHFORK%20&t2=UP%20YOUR%20HOLE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I remember a story from school many years ago.
    Bare with me.
    It goes, in a village a young girl was found murdered and after careful investigation it was discovered the Baker murdered the girl , now the problem was the village only had one Baker and no else knew how to bake bread but there were two Butchers in the village so the village elders to satisfy justice gave the villagers an option of which butcher to execute for the killing.
    Anyway the ongoing defence of Hogan despite his obvious contempt for the people of this country and the restrictions placed on our lives reminded me of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bare with me.
    It goes, in a village a young girl was found murdered and after careful investigation it was discovered the Baker murdered the girl , now the problem was the village only had one Baker and no else knew how to bake bread but there were two Butchers in the village so the village elders to satisfy justice gave the villagers an option of which butcher to execute for the killing.
    Anyway the ongoing defence of Hogan despite his obvious contempt for the people of this country and the restrictions placed on our lives reminded me of the story.

F3ck sake, don't leave us hanging....which butcher got it...the FG or the FF one? :)

Bare with me.

So we can all pleasure ourselves to the story?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So we can all pleasure ourselves to the story?:p

Whatever floats your boat, have away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bare with me.

You have some of that story wrong.

It wasn't many years ago. It happened last year in Leitrim.

The butcher selected to die forgot to mention to them that he would be willing to learn how to bake bread as well.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And back to telling your lies again.

NOTE-He said absolutely nothing about his nieces being worn out dealing with Covid patients. It was you who then tried to insinuate that to score a cheap disgusting dig

For the second time here is what the poster actually said

Zero mention of Covid there and yet you are accusing others of lacking comprehension skills :rolleyes:

You told a lie, you got caught out on it and now you are telling the exact same lie again.

Dig up Cyrus, dig up.

Had a busy day and signed in a while ago to post about Chadwick Boseman and found a surprising PM.

I’m not someone overly familiar with this type of social media but it is the second time this week that I’ve had an encounter with a childish person who ran of to mammy and daddy. Apparently I’m a big meanie and I upset Cyrus.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If we take it that every positive is because some one acted the brat and this weeks postives was about 100/day or 700 week.
    It's a bit over the top that one offender loses his job,
    I'd imagine there was a lot of self righteous offenders leading the charge against Hogan.
    Incidentally I tuned into mass on RTE this morning and there was little social distancing lees than 50% had masks and they were singing as well...... A lot of guidelines broken there ,will those lose their jobs as well.
    You can still see it on RTE +1 if so inclined

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wrangler wrote: »
    If we take it that every positive is because some one acted the brat and this weeks postives was about 100/day or 700 week.
    I'd imagine there was a lot of self righteous offenders leading the charge against Hogan.
    Incidentally I tuned into mass on RTE this morning and there was little social distancing lees than 50% had masks and they were singing as well...... A lot of guidelines broken there ,will those lose their jobs as well.

There is a thread on the Killarney singsong I wonder will it have the same longevity and outrage

wrangler wrote: »

It isn’t over the top that one offender lost his job. It is not good enough that the rest are not being held to account.

Where was the Mass? Did you call the Guards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It isn’t over the top that one offender lost his job. It is not good enough that the rest are not being held to account.

Where was the Mass? Did you call the Guards?

I don't have any opinion any more as to whether or not to obey the guidelines.
    There's thousands acting the brat and not obeying as evidenced by the numbers being infected so guidelines are looking fairly pointless now.

Advertisement