Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

No I'm not.
    None of it should ever have happened but it will continue to do so with people like yourself making excuses for the behaviour. They all know they'll get away with it and their punishment being a hefty pay out.

Hope you are happy.

I'm not making excuses for the behaviour. The event should never have happened. Losing your job based in another country, is far too severe though, particularly when Ireland are shooting itself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm not making excuses for the behaviour. The event should never have happened. Losing your job based in another country, is far too severe though, particularly when Ireland are shooting itself in the foot.

Well call the commission president. It has been made clear that it isn't that easy to sack a commissioner and our government didn't make that much of a fuss.

Hogan resigned because he knew he was getting sacked or because the boss gave him the push to do so.

The Taoiseach knows how it owls and has the advisors to tell what he doesn't. He felt the fuss was worth it so there we go.

Hogan clearly wasn't vital or they'd have found another way out of it.

It wasn't like people were out o the streets calling for Hogan's head.

It has been two weeks and few hundred pages and still no explanation as to how Ieland has shot it self in the foot (although maybe I missed the post where someone did). It certainly hasn't been in any paper I read.

And saying he should have been left away with it is making excuses for him. Again I ask was he actually punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I did hear there was a drinks reception in the Abbeyglen the night before. Not sure why it hasn't been reported.
    Noel Grealish reveals captain's prize function of 'two-day' #golfgate event was cancelled https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037015.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Noel Grealish reveals captain's prize function of 'two-day' #golfgate event was cancelled https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037015.html

Thanks for that link.

Some interesting detail there including that Enda Kenny played golf on the Tuesday. Seems to imply he was not even in Clifden on the Wednesday.

Puts more flesh on the bones of the IHF contact. Donie Cassidy would be well known to that organisation as an hotelier himself.

Pretty much clears up the Abbeyglen issue.

elperello wrote: »
    Thanks for that link.

Some interesting detail there including that Enda Kenny played golf on the Tuesday. Seems to imply he was not even in Clifden on the Wednesday.

Puts more flesh on the bones of the IHF contact. Donie Cassidy would be well known to that organisation as an hotelier himself.

Pretty much clears up the Abbeyglen issue.

I thought it was Dick Spring played Tuesday and didn't return on Wednesday and that Kenny was only there the second day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Thanks for that link.

Seems like the bould Donie was calling the shots for the Golf Society, well he's taking the fall anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I know what he said. I don't believe it to be true. There was a drinks reception in Abbeyglen.

Seems like the bould Donie was calling the shots for the Golf Society, well he's taking the fall anyway...

Ah... no greater love hath a man than he'd lay down his life for his friends :)

I know what he said. I don't believe it to be true. There was a drinks reception in Abbeyglen.

I tried and can't find anything to confirm your belief. I'm not saying there wasn't a drinks reception but I can't prove there was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Ah... no greater love hath a man than he'd lay down his life for his friends :)

I tried and can't find anything to confirm your belief. I'm not saying there wasn't a drinks reception but I can't prove there was.

Google 'abbeyglen phil hogan'. The 2nd link suggests a Facebook post that was deleted. ;)
    Abbeyglen is delighted to welcome Irelands Great Commissioner Phil Hogan!

I have never used Facebook so I may be entirely wrong! :D

Google 'abbeyglen phil hogan'. The 2nd link suggests a Facebook post that was deleted. ;)

I have never used Facebook so I may be entirely wrong! :D

Yes, I came across this earlier -

https://twitter.com/darraghmcdonagh/status/1296558087147368448

Together with the FB phantom post I'd say it is clear P Hogan was at the Abbeyglen.

It's a lovely place and he had to lay his weary head down somewhere.

Still no proof of a drinks reception though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 shipposter

Ireland are being forced to send a male and female nomination for Phil's replacement.

I predict a landslide victory for the female candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yes, I came across this earlier -

https://twitter.com/darraghmcdonagh/status/1296558087147368448

Together with the FB phantom post I'd say it is clear P Hogan was at the Abbeyglen.

It's a lovely place and he had to lay his weary head down somewhere.

Still no proof of a drinks reception though.

What I found strange was Noel Grealish claimed the Abbeyglen drinks reception (aka the first nights piss up of a two day golfing event) was cancelled due to the restrictions. Now if the firsts nights piss up was cancelled why was the second night in the Station House hotel not also cancelled? It just doesnt add up IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

shipposter wrote: »
    Ireland are being forced to send a male and female nomination for Phil's replacement.

On Mary Wilson earlier they were saying that Frances Fitz had the experience necessary.

What experience would that be?

Imagine being Maurice McCabe or one of his family listening to that?

Complete lack of respect and consideration shown to them.

Collectively they nearly drove him to suicide.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What I found strange was Noel Grealish claimed the Abbeyglen drinks reception (aka the first nights piss up of a two day golfing event) was cancelled due to the restrictions. Now if the firsts nights piss up was cancelled why was the second night in the Station House hotel not also cancelled? It just doesnt add up IMO.

Where did he claim that?

I don't see it in the Examiner link - https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037015.html

A lot doesn't add up.

Where did he claim that?

I don't see it in the Examiner link - https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037015.html

A lot doesn't add up.
    it says it here
    Noel Grealish reveals captain's prize function of 'two-day' #golfgate event was cancelled
    Independent TD Noel Grealish has denied that a pre-dinner drinks reception took place at another hotel in Clifden before the Oireachtas Golf Society function last week.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    theres a difference between drinks and dinner, so much so the gov made rules about only drink with food, they thought the station house dinner was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

shipposter wrote: »

Nominate oul Gemtrails O'Doherty as the female candidate :D

Absolute nonsense of looking for two candidates but thats the road the EU is on now

it says it here
    Noel Grealish reveals captain's prize function of 'two-day' #golfgate event was cancelled
    Independent TD Noel Grealish has denied that a pre-dinner drinks reception took place at another hotel in Clifden before the Oireachtas Golf Society function last week.

Sorry for the confusion but we appear to be dealing with two separate non-events.

A captains prize function which did not take place on the first night and a drinks reception which did not take place on the night of the Golfgate dinner.

While the Examiner says in the headline that he revealed that the captains prize function was cancelled what appears to be a quote from him states -

It was a two-day event. There was the captain’s prize on Tuesday and there was no function that night. On Wednesday it was the president’s prize and that night it was the president’s function honouring the late Mark Killilea, who founded the society 50 years ago.

No mention of a cancellation just that there was no function.

It's not really clear and if there was a captains prize function arranged which was subsequently cancelled the question is why was it cancelled.

Sorry for the confusion but we appear to be dealing with two separate non-events.

A captains prize function which did not take place on the first night and a drinks reception which did not take place on the night of the Golfgate dinner.

While the Examiner says in the headline that he revealed that the captains prize function was cancelled what appears to be a quote from him states -

It was a two-day event. There was the captain’s prize on Tuesday and there was no function that night. On Wednesday it was the president’s prize and that night it was the president’s function honouring the late Mark Killilea, who founded the society 50 years ago.

No mention of a cancellation just that there was no function.

It's not really clear and if there was a captains prize function arranged which was subsequently cancelled the question is why was it cancelled.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114491932&postcount=4281

Yes, I saw that, thanks.

You are right there is a difference between people dining or drinking in small groups as opposed to an organised function.

If they stuck to the restaurant/pub guidelines they are in the clear.

When push comes to shove I suppose they weren't all in their rooms watching telly on the night before Golfgate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Interesting Coveney is going for it. Suggest's he's not too happy with the coalition, at least in terms of his political career. Time to get outta here.

I'm not a hugh FG fan but I always liked Fitzgerald. I'd like to see her get the position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

AllForIt wrote: »
    Interesting Coveney is going for it. Suggest's he's not too happy with the coalition, at least in terms of his political career. Time to get outta here.

I'm not a hugh FG fan but I always liked Fitzgerald. I'd like to see her get the position.

Maurice McCabe and his family might not agree with that

I see that Clifden is flooded.

Someone washing away the evidence? Or God giving the place a good clean after swine party?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The coalition will limp on until next spring. FG are working with a FF party that doesn't know what it represents, and a Green Party divided between pragmatic environmentalists and absolute headbangers who are struggling with the realities of realpolitik. Jesus, you'd wish for the good old days of a FG/Labour coalition.

As Flann O'Brien wrote in The Third Policeman: 'we were friendly and smiled at each other but the situation was a queer one and neither of us liked it'.

Losing Coveney to Europe would be a major loss to parliamentary politics in Ireland. Especially if it was to get a relatively minor commissioner post.

There was justifiable anger at Hogan's actions in attending the golf function, but with the way the outrage cycles are going these days you'd start to think he should have used his legendary belligerence to hold out. Ireland had the fúcking trade commission post in the EU during Brexit. A proper example of cutting off your nose despite your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

This is yesterday's news.

Onto the next blown out of proportion scandal for the permanently outraged.

off you go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

off you go so.

I don't fit the criteria.

Thank the Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

*to spite your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Losing Coveney to Europe would be a major loss to parliamentary politics in Ireland. Especially if it was to get a relatively minor commissioner post.

Well, he won't be much of a loss to parliamentary politics if in a year or so if he's just in opposition. Being in opposition is overrated, especially when you've been voted out. Takes years to recover. That does remain to be seen though but the fact he's considering the EU role tells me he is not optimistic for himself holding a top ministerial role in national politics for a long time, in a strong rather than weak government he's in now.

It's hardly yesterdays news when new appointments haven't been made yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

FFS She's 70 years of age. How long more does she want to have her head in the trough?
    Do we need old Ma Fitz with her finger on the button?

Advertisement