Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

That was yesterday, the 22nd!

5 mins out - all the chat on this thread took place on the 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I have no interest or like for Phil Hogan..

I am interested in Ireland getting over this COVID madness and thinking about the future.

We are just killing eachother at the moment and it isn't helping anybody.

There were 81 individuals at that event the other night. If even one of those people were asymptomatic they could have easily transmitted the virus to the staff, other guests or one or more of the Clifden 81.
    It looks like Commissioner Hogan has travelled on a golf tour of Europe in the past few weeks without adherence to any quarantine measures if reports are true.

I don't think you realise the seriousness of this incident and how angry people are about it. I couldn't care less if he was the best representative we had in Europe, he is an absolute embarrassment and it now looks like he has been telling lies about his movements. If he had an ounce of integrity and self-respect he would leave office.

The longer he and any other high profile attendees at golf-gate stay in office or delay issuing an apology, the longer it will take to move on from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So Phil gets sacked from his job. Where's the cry for the rest of them to loose their jobs?

Woulfe is the only other one worth bothering with. Replacing a bunch of no-mark senators after their resignations would be more trouble and expense than it would be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

silver2020 wrote: »
    oh ffs, the covid police are at it again.

Your email will go immediately into the trash bin where it belongs.

And there is EU Democracy summed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Phil Hogan is a gentleman. Looks great in his apron of fellowship , a master amoung mere men. I remember seeing him at druids glen, a gent and a statesman, he had the room mesmerized.

A gentleman doesn't allow the weight of his office and the EU Commission to bear down on the employees of a small hotel. Pure thug.

• Advertisement

I think people are seriously missing the big picture on this.

The draconian measures that have been implemented on the people of Ireland are the issue - the absolute needless sacrifices and pain everybody has endured.

But no, let's miss this fact and further ruin our future recovery by getting rid of a crucial Irish voice in Europe.

Like him or loath him, we need a strong Irish voice at the table.

We also need to recognise that just because we have all been through huge pain does not mean we must take everyone down with us.

We need to try and put a line under things and move on.

Functions such as that should be allowed take place under proper social distancing rules etc. Anybody looking in at this would rightly think this country has lost it.

Well said BringBackPhil. Well said. Good salvage position. Let's not hold people to account, let's limit the damage in case the sky falls. We wouldn't have gained our independence nor gained entry to the EC without Big Phil....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So Phil gets sacked from his job. Where's the cry for the rest of them to loose their jobs?

As much as many posters may like it, Hogan only has to get through a few more days and he will be safe. Once the schools reopen and everyone is unhappy about it, golfgate will fall way down the agenda.

Tan-gate was a huge story for about a week. This will peter out too

I have no interest or like for Phil Hogan..

I am interested in Ireland getting over this COVID madness and thinking about the future.

We are just killing eachother at the moment and it isn't helping anybody.

There's a 2-bit character like your position here written into every great struggle. Do we really have to fight? If we just acquiesce, maybe they'll go away?
    I'm not sure what list Vichy France is on (probably yellow but maybe even a blue list), but I'd say you'd love it. ..

Maybe your right. It was unintentional /they're all really sorry / they showed poor judgement...

Sweet Jesus. Snap out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

As much as many posters may like it, Hogan only has to get through a few more days and he will be safe. Once the schools reopen and everyone is unhappy about it, golfgate will fall way down the agenda.

Tan-gate was a huge story for about a week. This will peter out too

Is too late already for him. When he has been asked to consider his position it makes it completely untenable to continue on as commissioner. He is as good as gone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wasnt it Phil Hogan who brought in the water charges years ago?

• Advertisement

The Minister for the Environment, Phil Hogan, has given homeowners across the nation a new incentive to pay the controversial water charge. It’s really pretty simple – either pay the charge or have your water cut off.

According to the paper, Hogan was asked to confirm (twice) if he had said that he would cut off the water supply of homes that had not paid.

“That would naturally be my philosophy, as you would know,” Mr Hogan responded

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think people are seriously missing the big picture on this.

The draconian measures that have been implemented on the people of Ireland are the issue - the absolute needless sacrifices and pain everybody has endured.

But no, let's miss this fact and further ruin our future recovery by getting rid of a crucial Irish voice in Europe.

Like him or loath him, we need a strong Irish voice at the table.

We also need to recognise that just because we have all been through huge pain does not mean we must take everyone down with us.

We need to try and put a line under things and move on.

Functions such as that should be allowed take place under proper social distancing rules etc. Anybody looking in at this would rightly think this country has lost it.

Hogan is an EU Commissioner now. He's not representing Ireland, he's representing the EU.

In the same way, he's not answerable to the Taoiseach or the Dail. He answers to the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Phil Hogan is a gentleman. Looks great in his apron of fellowship , a master amoung mere men. I remember seeing him at druids glen, a gent and a statesman, he had the room mesmerized.

This comedy/parody routine or whatever it is is really wearing very thin at this stage. It's not clever or funny and it's only derailing every thread it appears in.

Is too late already for him. When he has been asked to consider his position it makes it completely untenable to continue on as commissioner. He is as good as gone

He's not the Irish commissioner, hes the commissioner that's Irish. After his chance at being appointed to the WTO was scuppered, he is not going to go easily - its not his style.

If he goes, he will have been sacked. While the Irish government may have called on him to consider his position, it remains to be seen how strongly those feelings have been communicated to Brussels. It may well be that the Taoiseachs and Tanaiste's remarks were only for a domestic audience, and to get themselves in the clear. We also have no idea how the other members of the commission have been behaving, so is a precedent really going to be set here? I doubt it.

Even with the further revelations, I will be quite shocked if he is forced out. Its not as if him continuing on will be seen as damaging to the government (like a minister misbehaving), since he isn't part of the government.

Once the Schools become the big story (and the reopening starts Monday), this will blow over. Really he has only one more day to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

He's not the Irish commissioner, hes the commissioner that's Irish. After his chance at being appointed to the WTO was scuppered, he is not going to go easily - its not his style.

If he goes, he will have been sacked. While the Irish government may have called on him to consider his position, it remains to be seen how strongly those feelings have been communicated to Brussels. It may well be that the Taoiseachs and Tanaiste's remarks were only for a domestic audience, and to get themselves in the clear. We also have no idea how the other members of the commission have been behaving, so is a precedent really going to be set here? I doubt it.

Even with the further revelations, I will be quite shocked if he is forced out. Its not as if him continuing on will be seen as damaging to the government (like a minister misbehaving), since he isn't part of the government.

Once the Schools become the big story (and the reopening starts Monday), this will blow over. Really he has only one more day to get through.

I wouldn't agree. He has an important role as trade commissioner and when the most senior politicians in his own country have asked him to consider his position he has become severely weakened. The commission couldn't have such a commissioner in that role.

I wouldn't agree. He has an important role as trade commissioner and when the most senior politicians in his own country have asked him to consider his position he has become severely weakened. The commission couldn't have such a commissioner in that role.

Hard to know what they will do but the government here is on thin ice with the public and they need a bigger fall guy so Hogans's number might be up.

Hes only weakened if he depends on them for support (he doesn't). The commission, once appointed, is meant to be independent of Member states.

Notwithstanding the above, it is also dependent on how fulsomely this lack of support from the Irish Government has been communicated to Brussels. Remember, Hogan was told that he couldn't continue to run for the WTO because it would impact negatively on his ability to do the Trade Commissioners job, which the Irish government wanted him to continue in. Ireland lobbied hard to retain an Irish person in that big portfolio so the Government is not going to just give that away - especially with Brexit on the horizon and plenty of other countries wanting it.

I suspect what has actually happened is that the UvdL has been told that the criticism of Hogan is for domestic consumption to placate the electorate and not to pass much remarks on it. Once the next crisis rolls around in a few days it till be relegated down the agenda and everyone will move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Guys, calm down ok. It will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Give me strength! :rolleyes:

Gas isn't it.

We've had people in this country, on the orders of the government+ the EU to restrict their movements. There's been people who weren't able to attend the funerals of their elderly relatives, weren't able to be in the same room as them when they died even...

...and here's these cunts hob-nobbing around golf clubs without a care in the world.

Not only that, the lick spittle's are out to try and defend them for it or deflect from the seriousness of the matter, by spewing a load of horseshite and waffle.

Stupid, stupid, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Is Phil Hogan a liar ?
    Should he resign or should he be sacked with no pension ?
    Has Phil Hogan shown contempt for public health advice ?
    Are Irish people now turning their anger towards the EU commission and their unelected "ministers" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I see there is now a SF councillor in Monaghan apologising because she and her family took a Lanzarote.

I assume the apology is because she was found out or feared being found out.

Reminds me of the old X-Files tagline “Apology is Policy”.

As as has been said on the thread there are people who have suffered during the lockdown. My mother was suddenly cut off from her grandchildren and sisters. I moved in so my mother had company but there were many elderly who didn’t.

People could not access medical care, go to funerals, get married - the list is long.

I think expecting humanity, decency or respect for others from the likes of Phil Hogan, all the others at that golf event, the IRA funeral, the SF Woman, etc is just a waste of time. These “people” clearly don’t have it.

And none of it surprises me. It is not the first time this kind of thing has happened. Plenty of pre-Covid examples.

What does surprise me is the sheer stupidity of these “people”. You would think the fact that they so selfish would have set off an alarm in their head that had question “will doing this thing get me into trouble?”

Like that SF TD in Monaghan. She wanted to go on that holiday and didn’t give a fiddlers how the lockdown had affected others. Okay. But is she actually so stupid that she didn’t see how it could go bad for her if she got caught? If she is that stupid she really shouldn’t have any kind of job.

I’d take a real life Frank Underwood over this shower of thicks any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,584 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Scoondal wrote:
    Is Phil Hogan a liar ? Should he resign or should he be sacked with no pension ? Has Phil Hogan shown contempt for public health advice ? Are Irish people now turning their anger towards the EU commission and their unelected "ministers" ?

Probably
    Resign, but he needs something to live on
    Some people really don't give a sh1t about rules
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

He will have nice pensions he is grand,still and ignorant you know what

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The public haven't forgotten Bulk Hogan's arrogance in the Irish Water shıtshow. They were just waiting for a chance like this to get back at him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I see there is now a SF councillor in Monaghan apologising because she and her family took a Lanzarote.

I assume the apology is because she was found out or feared being found out.

Reminds me of the old X-Files tagline “Apology is Policy”.

As as has been said on the thread there are people who have suffered during the lockdown. My mother was suddenly cut off from her grandchildren and sisters. I moved in so my mother had company but there were many elderly who didn’t.

People could not access medical care, go to funerals, get married - the list is long.

I think expecting humanity, decency or respect for others from the likes of Phil Hogan, all the others at that golf event, the IRA funeral, the SF Woman, etc is just a waste of time. These “people” clearly don’t have it.

And none of it surprises me. It is not the first time this kind of thing has happened. Plenty of pre-Covid examples.

What does surprise me is the sheer stupidity of these “people”. You would think the fact that they so selfish would have set off an alarm in their head that had question “will doing this thing get me into trouble?”

Like that SF TD in Monaghan. She wanted to go on that holiday and didn’t give a fiddlers how the lockdown had affected others. Okay. But is she actually so stupid that she didn’t see how it could go bad for her if she got caught? If she is that stupid she really shouldn’t have any kind of job.

I’d take a real life Frank Underwood over this shower of thicks any day.

Hey look over there. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,220 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Scoondal wrote: »
    Is Phil Hogan a liar ?
    Should he resign or should he be sacked with no pension ?
    Has Phil Hogan shown contempt for public health advice ?
    Are Irish people now turning their anger towards the EU commission and their unelected "ministers" ?

I think that you are about to see the importance of this 'unelected ministers' thing laid bare.

The EU is us, it is run by us.

If a Commissioner loses the confidence of his/her country of origin then his/her position will quickly become untenable.
    The EU (in this case Von Der Leden) will have to decide if it wants the member country onside or the individual.

Hogan is toast, he will be gone shortly after he ties up his loose ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Liar?? probably a little extreme to excuse him of being one but he's certainly one of the most...

Odious, Ghastly, Horrid, appalling politician of modern times. Who will ever forget water charges and the debacle he walked away from.

Understanding his motives is simply really, it's all about the money, his money and in particular his substantial salaries, yes salaries and of course pension. His failed notion of ever getting elected to the head the WTO spoke volumes, utterly disliked and it was never going to happen. Not exactly sure what he has achieved as an EU commissioner either.

So whatever happens, history shows us he's never ever accepted responsibility for any wrong he's done and only short of a deal that secures a full pension, he's going nowhere, absolutely nowhere.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Irish people get very hysterical about the smallest infringements by successful figures.

Did Mr Angry give his usual rant in the sindo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Pelezico wrote: »
    Irish people get very hysterical about the smallest infringements by successful figures.

Not really. I think we’re very patient and mature in these matters and we’ve put up with a lot of nonsense and some of the most devious politicians and political strokes for decades.

We’re in unprecedented times (this pandemic is having a massive impact on everyone) and the politicians are so far out of touch that people finally lost their patience.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Advertisement